Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Misty Grove Orchard & Chateau (Full Cobbled Reskin and Expansion of Old Mistveil Manor)

Chryseia
Chryseia
✭✭✭✭✭
Here are some screenshots from a home I finished recently, Misty Grove Orchard and Chateau. This build involved a full reskin of Old Mistveil Manor (interior and exterior), expansion via enclosure of the upper porch, and lots of cobbles.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

This build uses no FX, other than to add extra apples to the trees outside (only a few of those are real décor) and to hide readable book prompts inside the existing bookshelves (not pictured in the screenshots). Oh and I added two Darien pictures because... reasons... <3

Since only some of the exterior apples and the two Darien pictures are FX, I am not including with-FX/without-FX versions of the screenshots.

Here are some detailed shots, going through each area in the order it is encountered, with close-ups of the many cobbles at the end.

Exterior:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Entry Hall & Living Room:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Dining Room:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Eat-In Kitchen:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Study, Bathroom, and Master Bedroom:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Four Seasons Porch, Simple Artist's Bedroom, & Messy Kid's Bedroom:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Individual Décor Cobbles:

Fancy Crystal Chandelier (uses 40 items):

unknown.png

unknown.png

(and a rainbow version!)
unknown.png

Needlepoint Set:

unknown.png

Maormer Sea Monster Bed:

unknown.png

Stained-Glass Art Deco Chandelier:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Table Lamp:

unknown.png

Easel:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Art Deco Dining Table Top:

unknown.png

Gilded Pendant Light:

unknown.png

Mirrored End Table:

unknown.png

Mirrored Coffee Table:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Fancy Tufted Settee:

unknown.png

Structured Planter Bed (Birds Eye View):

unknown.png

Butterfly Cage:

unknown.png

Fireplaces:

Brick and Marble Fireplace:
unknown.png

Art Deco/Maormer Fireplace:
unknown.png

Arched Hew's Bane Fireplace:
unknown.png

Elsweyr Fireplace:
unknown.png

Architectural Feature Cobbles:

Gold and Lapis Floor Inlay:

unknown.png

Diamond Pane Windows:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Gilt Wall Paneling:

unknown.png

Arched Alinor Wall Paneling:

unknown.png

Gilt Art Deco Coffered Ceiling:

unknown.png

Butterfly, Dual-Hinged Window:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sea-Inspired Wall Paneling:

unknown.png
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear me. I'm ... speechless.
    This is incredible work. Absolutely fantastic IMO.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • EmpressMeg
    EmpressMeg
    ✭✭
    @Chryseia I love this entire house! I really enjoyed the Maormer bedroom, being a fan of nautical themes myself. I may just have to try and recreate it! Not done to many instances of layering items over one another to get different effects save for simple things (planters, lighting, fireplaces). This thread is inspiring.

NA, PC @EmpressMeg
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chryseia I remember watching this house on JHarts tour a couple of weeks back. I was just mesmerised at how brilliant it was. Almost everything I saw in the video was a re-skin. There were so many ideas in this video. Particularly, I love your chandeliers.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Nila
    Nila
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing! I love everything about this build, so creative :o

The Maormer Sea Monster Bed is so cute! <3

The Stained-Glass Art Deco Chandelier is so pretty :)

Great work ;)
    PC EU
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    Love teh house, but how in the name of Caldwell did you get everything lined up so nicely, all my stuff is misaligned and what not
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Love teh house, but how in the name of Caldwell did you get everything lined up so nicely, all my stuff is misaligned and what not

You have to put your char on walk, back up as far as you can, make sure you are lined up with the wall in front of you (or the floorboards) and then grab the item in the middle.

Then, just keep doing that until you have moved the item to roughly where you want it.

Surface drag normally helps, but sometimes you have to switch it off, as other objects can interfere with it and some items don't sit directly on surfaces with it (there is a gap).

To move an item that is already aligned with a surface, but too far away from/too near to it (and that you are aligned with), after you have used the above method, if necessary, drop the item, don't move your char, or the cursor and then gently pick the item up again.

This should make sure that it hasn't moved even slightly as you pick it up, so you can then gently nudge it forward, or backwards, without any lateral movement.

For greater control, you can crouch before doing all this.

You can also go into first person, on crouch and walk, to move things tiny amounts.

It's just practice really - finding out what works and what doesn't.

Even when you know what you are doing, things can go wrong, so you just have to experiment and be prepared to undo and redo, when they do.

I believe the EHT addon can also help you, if you struggle, although I have never used it for that.

If you have the current bug where items are turning themselves directly after placement, I doubt there is anything you can do about that.

Just have to wait for a fix.

There is also another bug where linked items can move randomly, after you have placed them (when you're not in the home!).

You just have to grit your teeth and redo them.

They stop moving after a while.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 9, 2019 9:51PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing work, by the way! :heart:

Really impressive.
  • MadHatterMike
    MadHatterMike
    ✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

You have to put your char on walk, back up as far as you can, make sure you are lined up with the back wall (or floorboards) and then grab the item in the middle.

To move an item that is already aligned with a surface, but too far away from/too near to it (and that you are aligned with), if necessary, drop the item, don't move your char, or the cursor and then gently pick the item up again.

This should make sure that it hasn't moved as you pick it up, so you can then gently nudge it forward, or backwards, without any lateral movement.

You can also go into first person, on crouch and walk, to move things tiny amounts.

Even when you know what you are doing, things can go wrong, so you just have to experiment and be prepared to undo and redo, when they do.

I believe the EHT addon can also help you, if you struggle, although I have never used it for that.

If you have the current bug where items are turning themselves directly after placement, I doubt there is anything you can do about that.

There is also another bug where linked items can move randomly, after you have placed them (when you're not in the home!).

does your EHT give you the grid lines at an angle as well or straight foward
  • Chryseia
    Chryseia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Ye_Olde_Crowe, @EmpressMeg, @Zypheran, @Nila, @MadHatterMike, and @Tigerseye!

EmpressMeg, I am so happy to hear that this build has helped encourage you to try new types of cobbles! I am sure you will create something awesome-nautically amazing!

Nila and Zypheran, I am so glad you guys liked the chandelier! They are some of my personal favorite cobbles (of the cobbles I have created, I mean).

MadHatterMike, so, I am sure Tigereye's advice would be super helpful for achieving greater alignment accuracy using the base housing editor. However, I am completely OCD about placement and, as such, I rarely use the base editor. I typically use a combination of various EHT editing tool features (though not the builds feature, because I like doing my own math and relying on my eyeballs for alignment/I'm stubborn). I am happy to provide details regarding the editing features and methods I use most regularly, though I cannot emphasize enough that there is no strictly wrong or strictly right way to edit décor - just a variety of tools we can all pick and choose from to create the "toolkit" that works best and feels most natural for the individual builder. I have provided a basic explanation of the settings and features of the editing tools I use most often in the spoiler.

(1) Intro to Nudge Arrows/EHT selection menu

The very most important tool for me is the ability to "nudge" décor using EHT arrow keys instead of using the base editor. This enables me to use my "eyeballs" to see what the décor is doing, walking around to view it from all angles while doing so, without my movement and camera controls being tied to actually editing the décor (as is the case with base editor). This menu looks like this:

unknown.png

Basically, you set a keybind in the Controls menu that allows you to select decors into that big box shown in the picture. One the décor is listed in that box, that décor, and any other décor listed in the box, can be modified by the "change these items" drop down menu, or by simply clicking on the arrows shown at the bottom of that menu. You can even change the slider at the VERY bottom of the menu to adjust how far the arrows will move or rotate the decors that are selected. the slider can be set anywhere from literally a 1 integer movement, to a very large movement.

(fun story, you can actually continue to edit decors via the nudge arrows so long as the decors have already been selected outside of edit mode to reduce visual clutter)

(2) Intro to Relative vs Absolute Positioning

This brings me to some very important settings (at least important regarding how I build and approach building, though others use different settings). Firstly, I completely hate that the base game and default EHT setting is "relative" placement. What this means is that, the way your decors move when nudged with the arrows is based on how your character is actually facing (which is how it also works in base editor - everything is done based on how your character is standing or facing). This is a personal preference, I know a lot of people like it, but it drives me absolutely nutty. As such, the most important setting to me is called "directional editing" - I always change it from the default of "relative" to "absolute":

unknown.png

In contrast to relative directional editing, absolute directional editing will ALWAYS nudge and rotate your selections along the same axis, regardless of how your character is standing or facing. This axis is visible via the light blue grid that shows up when EHT is enabled in your game while editing.

(3) Intro to Grid and How to Adjust It

Speaking of Grid, you can adjust it! Most homes in ESO are actually not lined up with the actual "grid" of the map, namely the cardinal directions North, South, East, and West. This is why in many homes, the grid lines go off at weird angles rather than matching the house - its because the grid lines follow NSEW, but the house does not. This is fixable! just click the setting shown in the spoiler, and manually change how the grid lies until the lines match the alignment of your house, and then, very important remember the angle degree of the adjustment to the grid that you made. Write it down if you have to.

unknown.png

Adjusting the grid to match your house's alignment will not only aid in your ability to eyeball whether things are properly lined up, it should also ensure that when you use the nudge arrows with absolute positioning enabled, the selection will nudge along your adjusted grid lines rather than the default NSEW. However this second function is currently bugged. (Cardi is aware of the bug and said he will fix it when he is able).

(4) Intro to Selection and Item Detail Keybinds

Next, if you are new to EHT, you will probably need to set up some essential keybinds. I mentioned in #1 that you can use a keybind to "select" decors into the main EHT selection window, and once selected, decors can be altered using the arrows and change these items features. If you have not already set up this keybind (named "select/deselect"), you can do so in the setting shown in the spoiler. Additionally, I have highlighted two other keybinds that I consider essential to how I build: "show selection window" and "edit item details":

unknown.png

"show selection window" merely shows the regular EHT selection window, or if it is already open, closes that window. I keybind it for convenience because, a lot of times I don't actually edit via a selection, as described in #1 above, but rather by the edit item details menu and, unlike selecting an item, using the edit item details button will not by default launch the selection menu as well.

"edit item details" is a very fun editing tool for anyone who is obsessive about perfect placement and alignment. I will describe it in #5, below. For purposes of setting this keybind, using the key you bind to this control while hovering over a décor in edit mode will select that décor into the edit item details menu. (very similar to how the "select" keybind will select into the selection menu shown in #1.

(5) Intro to Edit Item Details Menu

The edit item details menu is probably the most responsible for how I am able to almost perfectly align decors. To use it, enable editing mode, hover your reticule over the décor you want to edit, and use the "edit item details" keybind. This will open the edit item details menu with the décor you targeted selected.

unknown.png

As you can see from the picture, there are a number of extremely useful features for creating perfectly positioned items in this menu. You can directly input specific cardinal values to change the items position. You can even copy those values with the control + c function, select a different item, and paste that value in. You can also enter rotational values, or, if the selection is an FX, you can alter the size or color of the FX.

Remember how I said in #3 that you should remember the degree of the adjusted gird you ended up setting? Here is where that becomes important. In my picture, Mistveil manor is actually on a 36 degree offset from NSEW. As such, when I want to place an item, I simply select the item into edit item details and enter 36 degrees as its rotational value (typically. though not always zeroing out the pitich and roll values, at least to start with). This ensures that the item is already lined up to a 90 degree offset of how the house is aligned.

At that point I then typically move to the nudge arrows in the selection menu. This is where we get into one of the peculiarities of the edit item details menu: whatever item you have selected into edit item details will ALWAYS supersede anything you have selected into the regular EHT selection menu. This means that you can use the nudge arrows to edit the item you selected into edit item details without selecting it into the selection menu. In the case of the column I selected in the screenshot above, since the fireplace I was making was 180 degrees offset from the alignment of the house, I likely simply selected the column, set the angle to 36 degrees, then changed the slider for the nudge arrows all the way to max (on max, a single click of a rotational nudge will rotate the selection exactly 90 degrees). nudged it twice, and that is how the item ended up at a 216 degree offset. (BTW I am really just generalizing. In truth the column would have been part of a multi-item selection copy and paste of a previously created half of the fireplace... but this is more advanced that this introduction to editing tools is designed for).

Using the edit item details menu in this way ensures that all decors are placed perfectly straight, perfectly rotationally aligned, all with the same "z" value (or height). After that, it becomes much easier to use the nudge arrows to carefully align the items - especially as on the smallest setting, the nudge arrows will only move the décor 1 integer.

VERY IMPORTANT when you are done editing the item details, CLOSE THE EDIT ITEM DETAILS WINDOW. As I said before, the edit item details selection will ALWAYS supersede your EHT selection. As such, if you do not close it, and then try to go back to editing groups of items in the selection window, instead of moving the selected group, you will continue to only move the edit item details selection. See spoiler for example.

unknown.png

In the picture above, were I to start clicking the nudge or rotation arrows, instead of moving the group of items (dark elf sofa, angled x 2 and Alinor Wall Mirror, Noble x 2) by either 1 rotational degree or 5 directional integer values (which is what the first notch of the slider corresponds to), I would instead move the Alinor Column, slender timeworn by that amount, and the group of items would not move at all.

This can actually be a really useful feature If used on purpose to edit just one item in a large selection without de-selecting the selection, or to move just one item out of the way in order to manually select a bunch of items that are all on top of each other without using other group selection tools (which you do not want to or cannot use, for whatever reason). But it is definitely something to be aware of until you are used to it.

Also note, unlike the EHT selection menu, edit item details can only select one item at a time. It cannot be used to simultaneous edit a group of items, unless that group is all linked and the parent décor is the one that has been selected into edit item details (note if doing this, I always recommend un-linking the items after you are done, as linked groups can sometimes bug and move themselves in weird ways from time to time without being edited).

(6) Intro to Saved Selections, Copying, and Pasting

Lastly for my basic intro to features I use most often, I just want to briefly mention creating saved selections and the copy and paste functions.

If you have spent some time, or even just a little time, cobbling an item, creating and copying saved selections will be your very best friend. (it's also often how I actually create complex cobbles in the first place, but I'm not getting into that here, since this is just an intro to features).

For example, the living room chandelier in this home is made of 40 individual decors. It would be a huge pain in the butt to have to select all 40 items every time I want to move that chandelier. Further, what if I want to make a second chandelier that is an exact copy? I certainly would not want to spend the time recreating it from scratch.

The solution is saved selections:

unknown.png

In the picture above, you can see that I have selected all 40 items that make up the chandelier (well, you can't actually see it, since you would have to use the scroll wheel to scroll down, but I assure you that I have indeed selected them all). After selecting them all, I then typed a name into the "selection name" box; in this case, "living room chandy" is the name I chose. I then hit "save", which is just to the left of "delete" and right above the selection name box. Saving the selection does two main things: (1) the selection becomes selectable again by hitting the drop down menu under "revert to last save", meaning even if I have cleared my selection or whatever, I can always just, select "living room chandy" from the drop down menu and immediately start editing this exact group of items with the nudge arrows or "change these items" function; (2) it gives you access to the "revert to last save" failsafe, which, not matter how the decors have been moved or edited, if you revert, the items will go exactly back to where they were at the last time you saved that set.

For example:

In this picture, I have chosen my chandlier selection from the drop down menu, and clicked the down nudge arrow once when the slider was set to the 4th notch. I did NOT save the new position of this selection.

unknown.png

After moving it down, I decided I did not like it there, and I wanted to revert the change. As such, I clicked the revert to last save button and the chandelier was restored to its former position:

unknown.png

Of course, since this was a very simple move that moved all the decors in the selection in the same manner, I could also have just clicked the up nudge arrow once while it was set to the 4th notch of the slider, but hopefully that helps illustrate the point.

Selections and saved selections are also very useful when it comes to the copy and paste functions. There are number of ways to access copy and paste. For example, you can literally click "copy/paste" which is above the "pitch" arrow in the EHT selection menu to launch the full copy and paste menu (but this menu is far more complicated than is typically needed). You can also hover over the same shortcuts icon I identified in #3, but instead of clicking the adjust grid option, instead click "copy items", and then "paste items", to copy and paste your current selection. Or you can set a separate keybind to copy and paste in the controls menu (this is the method I typically use). However you do it, copying will make a copy of all decors selected and their directional and rotational positions. Pasting will grab a copy of all decors (though they have to be in your bank, storage chests, or inventory) in that selection and place each of those copies in the exact place saved in the original selection that you copied, and EHT will automatically create/open a new selection containing only the copied (not the original) decors. You can then use the nudge arrows and "change these items" functions to edit that newly-copied group and move it wherever you want it to go.

Note, you can even copy and paste between houses by using some of the features in the more complicated "copy/paste" menu, or paste from house items and other areas instead of the default inventory/bank/storage chests as well. However, the keybind copy and paste option, and the shortcuts icon copy and paste option, will always paste from inventory/bank/storage.

Hope any/some of that information helps! Again, it is by no means a deep dive into EHT, and it completely ignores many of EHT's editing features - it was intended to just be an introduction to the features I typically use when building.

As I said, there are many ways to edit homes, and I wouldn't say any particular way is better than any other - the important part is to find a method that works for you.
    Edited by Chryseia on December 10, 2019 12:48AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

You have to put your char on walk, back up as far as you can, make sure you are lined up with the back wall (or floorboards) and then grab the item in the middle.

To move an item that is already aligned with a surface, but too far away from/too near to it (and that you are aligned with), if necessary, drop the item, don't move your char, or the cursor and then gently pick the item up again.

This should make sure that it hasn't moved as you pick it up, so you can then gently nudge it forward, or backwards, without any lateral movement.

does your EHT give you the grid lines at an angle as well or straight foward

As I say, I've never really used it for that.

It only seemed to put the grid in at weird angles, for me (so it wasn't really of much use, anyway), but it's possible there is a way of adjusting that.
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just stunning and so creative. The talent in this community never ceases to amaze me. How did you make that floor inlay - it's gorgeous!
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Lovely job! Thank you for sharing :)@Chryseia
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Chryseia
    Chryseia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chryseia wrote: »
    @carly Thank you! The lapis inlaid floor was made with an upside down Crystals, Midnight Cluster with the gold orcish seal luxury items, like this one, for example, though it could have been any of the 4 - they all have the same shape - sunk into it until just the rim is showing. I then copy and pasted the seal and offset the copies in various directions to create the geometric pattern.

Again..wow! That you even thought of bringing those items together to create that inlay speaks to your creativity. Just brilliant! Thank you for sharing that.
  • GChaseXmas
    GChaseXmas
    ✭✭✭
    Not only is the house beautiful, it is a phenomenal example of your creativity, skill with the housing tools, your patience (I'm sure this took a great deal of time) and your kindness in helping those of us less creative of some tricks of the trade. Kudos all around @Chryseia
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These decorations are stunning! The custom walls, floors, tables, and windows are incredibly beautiful, and I love everything about the nautical room! Amazing creativity! May I ask which items were used to make the walls in the entry hallway? They mesh really well!
  • ermenaa
    ermenaa
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all, amazing house - beautiful, elegant, classy. With one word - masterpiece! Outstanding build Chryseia!
    Edited by ermenaa on January 28, 2020 1:59PM
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing build! To me the most inspiring combo is the window made from that steel sign holder. That is really clever!

[PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Sharalei
    Sharalei
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Chryseia

Once again, a magnificent home!

You've taken an otherwise drab (my opinion) home, and turned it into something worthy of the elite. And you've done it all without fx. Great work! This build, demonstrates how cobbling and layering can transform a house, and showcases your brilliant talent for design. :)

Thank you for sharing your gift of design with us.

Shar <3
    Edited by Sharalei on January 28, 2020 11:37PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Jaimeh, ermenna, and kind_hero!

@Jaimeh, the entry hall walls is made of multiple hourglass rugs offset by 1 rotational degree to ensure there are no visible border seams. The lower wainscoting is just the base of the Tojay-Raht Statue, Monk.

Thank you for letting me know Chyseia! Amazing placement of the carpets!
  • Aluluei
    Aluluei
    ✭✭✭
    I have provided a basic explanation of the settings and features of the editing tools I use most often in the spoiler.

Thank-you so much for this! As someone who learns more easily through reading than watching, this post has helped me with EHT more than all of the videos I've struggled through. Using Orcish gazebos, limestone stairs and limestone curved fences, I just built a tower with a circular staircase winding around it and I feel so proud of myself!

Now if only you could teach your astonishing eye for decorating possibilities that lets you see how a signpost can become a beautiful window!
    IRL: Elizabeth. AD: Aluluei, Eiledh, Yreshi, Zabetheli. DC: Lededje, Pilun, Safket-Abwy, Semley. EP: Ieulula, Tenarha, Tisaarwat, Veralia.
    CP 2200+, playing since beta.
  • Feendish
    Feendish
    ✭✭✭
    A beautiful house very well built. You're always an inspiration. Great work.