The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Im surprised so many people have dropped total dark. The heal was hardly nerfed, and the 60% snare is our best snare now.

Total dark is great but I think it’s situational. The self applied one I don’t like because it stuns Willy Nilly, the one you apply on others I like but only for solo cyrodiil. I use it to put on ranged kiters and then close with toppling when I see the stun go off.

Dark flare I really like for BGs. I’m melee but am a touch squishy, having something to do waiting for the right time to get into a brawl helps, and the major defile is noticible. I’ve been seeing a lot of Warden heavy premades and it’s especially effective against them... I must be catching them with their shimmering shield down. It works great against DKs too. Another thing I like about it is when people see it they close, I prefer having them come to me then chasing people down. Dark flare has zero chance of ever being able to kill someone, but people will react to major defile.

Oh... and one cool thing about Dark Flare is the travel time... dark flare and then toppling will hit at the same time if you’re lucky enough to fight someone who stands still in pvp.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 2, 2019 8:25PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im surprised so many people have dropped total dark. The heal was hardly nerfed, and the 60% snare is our best snare now.

I run with a small group of people, all who think that it is total cheese, and I don't really have a spot for it anyway, so I just don't use it so I don't have to listen to the kvetching. Mind you, some of them prob use the most broken /health desync skills inthe game lol. I also found that the better players knew exactly how to work around Living Dark. And I didn't care for Unstable Core either.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I've kept total dark but dropped purifying light. With the heal nerfed it's not as useful in melee builds, and with the damage nerfed (in a way) it's not as strong from range. Might still be good on a range build but rather have the knock back from javelin instead. At least in a melee build I have Toppling so I could even work back in Radiant? Seems like forever since I used it lol.

Still considering replacing Reflective Light with Inner Light, but if RL is up then it still applies when I bar swap and heal etc right?

Melee build: NMA and Bright Throat, front bar is Sweeps, Toppling, Reflective Light, Living Dark, Solar Barrage, Crescent

Ranged build: NMA and Torugs, front bar is Crushing shock, Ele drain, Reflective Light, Living Dark, Javelin, Meteor

Previously I've ran Spinners (w/willpower resto) instead of NMA for ranged and Alfiq instead of NMA for Melee, neither is a bad alternative from my experience.

Back bar is standard, RAT, HtD, Ritual, Focus, Degeneration, Life Giver. I like Degen back bar so I can swap back and re-proc the weapon damage enchant every so often.

Monster set: either Blood spawn or double armor buffs from 1 piece sets (Lord Warden, Chudan, Pirate Skelly)

Melee seems better for deathmatches and chaosball, the ranged build seems better in other formats.

I switched back to spell power pots for prophecy and sorcery. Frees up slots to be more competitive. Purifying light is awesome now imo. I can constantly get curse level numbers now, and the heal is still nice, especially for small group play.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've kept total dark but dropped purifying light. With the heal nerfed it's not as useful in melee builds, and with the damage nerfed (in a way) it's not as strong from range. Might still be good on a range build but rather have the knock back from javelin instead. At least in a melee build I have Toppling so I could even work back in Radiant? Seems like forever since I used it lol.

Still considering replacing Reflective Light with Inner Light, but if RL is up then it still applies when I bar swap and heal etc right?

Melee build: NMA and Bright Throat, front bar is Sweeps, Toppling, Reflective Light, Living Dark, Solar Barrage, Crescent

Ranged build: NMA and Torugs, front bar is Crushing shock, Ele drain, Reflective Light, Living Dark, Javelin, Meteor

Previously I've ran Spinners (w/willpower resto) instead of NMA for ranged and Alfiq instead of NMA for Melee, neither is a bad alternative from my experience.

Back bar is standard, RAT, HtD, Ritual, Focus, Degeneration, Life Giver. I like Degen back bar so I can swap back and re-proc the weapon damage enchant every so often.

Monster set: either Blood spawn or double armor buffs from 1 piece sets (Lord Warden, Chudan, Pirate Skelly)

Melee seems better for deathmatches and chaosball, the ranged build seems better in other formats.

I switched back to spell power pots for prophecy and sorcery. Frees up slots to be more competitive. Purifying light is awesome now imo. I can constantly get curse level numbers now, and the heal is still nice, especially for small group play.

Yea, it’s too bad there’s no stamina, magicka + crit or sp pots. I’d run inner light for sure on that situation.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the consensus backbar weapon trait for Magplar right now... still Defending? Or Powered because of Onslaught?
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    What's the consensus backbar weapon trait for Magplar right now... still Defending? Or Powered because of Onslaught?

I like powered if snb, infused if staff
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Defending always, imo. Onslaught isn't as common of an ult as people think. And even then it only last for 5 seconds. Just kite or LoS for 5 seconds and then continue the fight.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

Defending always, imo. Onslaught isn't as common of an ult as people think. And even then it only last for 5 seconds. Just kite or LoS for 5 seconds and then continue the fight.

Onslaught is everywhere.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wouldnt defending also help defense if you get ulted while on frontbar? Together with the extra resistance from Shield, defending and Maybe Standing in the rune if you got ulted outside of it you´d have some Mitigation again.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Onslaught is everywhere.

Dunno, I PvP all day everyday and it's rarely on my reacap. Never died to anybody using onslaught in a 1v1, but I have been Xv1'd by it sometimes. I see ults like incap and DBoS on my recap more often though.Maybe I just don't notice it, i am pretty tanky lol.
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Wouldnt defending also help defense if you get ulted while on frontbar? Together with the extra resistance from Shield, defending and Maybe Standing in the rune if you got ulted outside of it you´d have some Mitigation again.

I don't think defending carries over to the front bar?
    Edited by Akinos on December 4, 2019 10:16AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I meant as in staying on backbar after getting ulted on frontbar but yeah it doesnt carry over.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Onslaught is everywhere.

Dunno, I PvP all day everyday and it's rarely on my reacap. Never died to anybody using onslaught in a 1v1, but I have been Xv1'd by it sometimes. I see ults like incap and DBoS on my recap more often though.Maybe I just don't notice it, i am pretty tanky lol.
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Ive seen your stuff, gg. Ive experienced the exact opposite.

Anyone using dbos over onslaught is outdated imo. My templar has up to 32k physical resistance and I'll get slapped with 8-12k onslaughts. Not to mention the follow up. I haven't been killed and have hardly seen dbos in my play in weeks (not much play time any more as ps4 performance is unplayable). I couldn't even tell you what dbos hits me for now.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just changed up my spec to try a back bar potatoes defending resto staff. I’m a lot tankier but I’m not sure how much of that is defending vs using potatoes.

Idk, my healing is suffering. I think trait depends on what you’re trying to do. If you’re solo spec’d then defending’s good, if you’re a magplar using radiating regen I think powered might be better.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems pretty split between Defending/Powered. Anybody ever test out Decisive backbar? I kinda feel like I'm not gonna die on my backbar anyway, just want to get to my front bar quicker to get players down.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I just changed up my spec to try a back bar potatoes defending resto staff. I’m a lot tankier but I’m not sure how much of that is defending vs using potatoes.

Idk, my healing is suffering. I think trait depends on what you’re trying to do. If you’re solo spec’d then defending’s good, if you’re a magplar using radiating regen I think powered might be better.

Is this what we're calling it now or is it just auto correct lol ;)

I use 2 potentates on my warden, stacked with minor invuln from armor ability makes wearing 5 medium pretty tanky. If you're sweeping you'd be getting the same effect, minor invuln and potentates. But likely most people only use it on the back bar.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Is this what we're calling it now or is it just auto correct lol ;)

I use 2 potentates on my warden, stacked with minor invuln from armor ability makes wearing 5 medium pretty tanky. If you're sweeping you'd be getting the same effect, minor invuln and potentates. But likely most people only use it on the back bar.

Bit of both, it’s like pirate smelly, sometimes autocorrect finds a gem.

Usually when people disagree about something like traits or sets I’ve found it’s usually about what they’re trying to accomplish, or how the thing is question fits into the total build. I don’t think there’s a right answer unless you’re talking about a specific setting.

Like for me I potatoes one bar only and front bar a damage set. 5% damage reduction for a 2 piece is good, but I’m using 2 1 piece armour pieces instead of a monster set so it’s hard to fit.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 4, 2019 4:30PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems pretty split between Defending/Powered. Anybody ever test out Decisive backbar? I kinda feel like I'm not gonna die on my backbar anyway, just want to get to my front bar quicker to get players down.

Not a bad trait but more suited for dks and wardens.

Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone using 1h/Shield or DW with a stamplar? So far I've been using 2H and Bow and I'm thinking about replacing the latter

• Sungod
    Sungod
    ✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Anyone using 1h/Shield or DW with a stamplar? So far I've been using 2H and Bow and I'm thinking about replacing the latter

I like the gapcloser/stun that 1h&shield gives :)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

I used DW for a while, just because it’s the best stats. Went back to 2H, it fits a templar theme a lot better.

For pure healing output (if that’s a concern) nothing beats DW dagger MH Nirn, OH powered.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 8, 2019 12:56AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well regardless of how anyone wants to build their Templar, if you’re not using the new double mit health potions you are doing it wrong... just put mud crab chitlins, bugloss, and mountain flower together... and if you are a Breton : mudcrab chitlin, mountain flower, and columbine... thank me later 👍

P.S: Yea, it stacks...
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on December 12, 2019 2:40PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Well regardless of how anyone wants to build their Templar, if you’re not using the new double mit health potions you are doing it wrong... just put mud crab chitlins, bugloss, and mountain flower together... and if you are a Breton : mudcrab chitlin, mountain flower, and columbine... thank me later 👍

P.S: Yea, it stacks...

I'd rather the two bar spots and mag regen for magplar. For stamina in general they're pretty darn good though. I use em on my warden.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m too cheap, I’ve started using AP pots for BGs. Works well enough.

Plus there’s no immovability plus armour pot.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 12, 2019 5:56PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Flips
    Flips
    ✭✭
    So... What secondery set should I run besides Bright throats? As mag. Thinking about going easy potl toppling jabs. Jesus beam. Rest for buffs and regen.
    Edited by Flips on December 25, 2019 6:34PM
    Soon cp1000

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flips wrote: »
    So... What secondery set should I run besides Bright throats? As mag. Thinking about going easy potl toppling jabs. Jesus beam. Rest for buffs and regen.

Wearing anything else will work. You're fighting potatos if that's working.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Flips wrote: »

I’ve tweaked a build along the same premise for no-CP BGs. Works well:

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=189573

Edit- for taking out tanky DKs, throw a dark flare in between toppling and light. I accidentally discovered (forgot to change it and noticed) that the ritual mundus works equally well. It’s the best way to trade some burst for Tankiness.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 25, 2019 8:51PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Maxdevil
    Maxdevil
    ✭✭✭
    What is better in your opinion vs full spell damage build like this build
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkcKdsOS0g

Or something that you add to jabs like grothdaar and overwhelming surge with something tanky to complete?
    "Maxdevil knows much, and tells some. Maxdevil knows many things others do not."
    Pc-Na
  • Maxdevil
    Maxdevil
    ✭✭✭
    Maxdevil wrote: »

Or something that you add to jabs like grothdaar and overwhelming surge with something tanky to complete?

*sweep
    "Maxdevil knows much, and tells some. Maxdevil knows many things others do not."
    Pc-Na
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is scathing procing of sweeps now?
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maxdevil wrote: »

His build is CP so it’s a different setting. I play mostly BGs and his build is pretty similar, I went bright throat and the apprentice (spell damage) mundus, he went Alfiq and the mag recovery mundus. That lets him use a tri-stat food whereas I used Mara.

Setting matters a lot, in a BG you don’t need to worry about being outnumbered or anything. It lets you not worry about stamina as much and dying isn’t that bad.

In BGs what I like most about mine is I have the option of healing depending on my team. I had one BG where my team mates were newer players and not healing themselves enough so I went more healing heavy. In the spec I linked I was able to hit 1 million healing and 800k damage in a BG, I was surprised I could get that high, but it being an option’s pretty good. I think I left the ritual mundus on that BG too by mistake.

Two big things where our builds are different:

2H - I tried DW MH Nirn, OH sharpened and didn’t like it. Tooltips are a ton higher but light attacks plus a shock glyph make a big difference. If you’re good at light attack weaving you can even do it during sweeps (but it’s harder because you have to correct your muscle memory because of the 1 second cast time) but they’re important. You can get minor vulnerability from a shock glyph from a light attack (only weapon skills, light and heavy attacks proc glyphs)

2x Swift - I’ll be honest. 2x swift on your jewellery is OP for mag. I kept using elusive mist and getting run down by stamina in mist form, with 2x swift you’re so much faster. Keep ritual up and the speed differential between yourself and other players is huge. You notice you’re just a touch faster, but do some duels and people will keep telling you how their melee attacks keep missing.

I haven’t done the math too, but I think camouflage hunter is better than inner light. I’m not sure, but on a magtemplar you might as well consider it a permanent minor berserk buff.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 9, 2020 3:44AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair