The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    I don't think ive lagged in about 2 week's... i mean played. But im running nma/btb. That'll be a good set up for years. Probably building a character for farming towers with buddies if i talk them into playing through ps4 lag. We've all kinda moved on.

is NMA thaaaaaat much better than Julianos?

Julianos? Most definitely. Sweeps gives you minor sorcery, so with minor and major the more sp the better.

Er, sweeps doesn't give minor sorcery...dawns wrath skills do that :P
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think ive lagged in about 2 week's... i mean played. But im running nma/btb. That'll be a good set up for years. Probably building a character for farming towers with buddies if i talk them into playing through ps4 lag. We've all kinda moved on.

is NMA thaaaaaat much better than Julianos?

I mean, it's not THAT much better but yea it's better.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For damage, i definately felt the sustain difference open world bc i dropped weakness.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For damage, i definately felt the sustain difference open world bc i dropped weakness.

I run resto back bar for heavy attacks. it works well. I’d also try radiant aura if you’re S&B back bar, very underrated ability.

A good premade will cycle who’s in front and kite back to refresh buffs and heals. Plus pet zoo builds. Hitting everyone at once with magic steal works well.

I played with aura for a while, but ended up sticking with dark flare and resto back bar. Tanky DKs are a pain and require a lot of burst and the defile to take down.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 16, 2020 3:27AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of options you´ve for magplar in PvP when it comes to gear is really good in my opinion, almost too good. A few sets I think you should consider on magplar:

* Transmutation: Probably the best combo of sustain and defensive set you can get. Absolutely amazing set for NO-CP, great for group-play too.
    * Spinner: We all like damage right? ;)
    *Overwhelming Surge: Procs concussion (8% more damage taken), reveals enemies from stealth and deals a fair amount of damage, what´s there not to like about it
    * Auroran Thunder: Basically overwhelming Surge but different ^^
    * Gossamer: Mostly use as a support set, but I´ve found it to be really strong on offensive builds as well. The set shines in group-play though (especially when majority of the group are magicka users).
    * Julianos/axiom: Budget/"I don´t have time to grind gear" option in my opinion.
    * New Moon Acolyte: Big no for NO-CP unless you´ve someone that can throw you orbs or shards. For CP it works but big no for no-cp imo (unless grouped). Even on a breton I find it extremely hard to sustain NMA.
    * Mechanical Acuity: Decent option if you know you´ll be fighting large groups with lots of AoE damage at your disposal.
    * Clever Alchemist: Good option for extra burst damage. Very nice for no-cp due to the extra HP the set bonuses gives you.
    * Swift: Good defensive set, nothing more needed to be explained.

When it comes to Shacklebreaker and Bright Throat I don´t think any of those sets are needed on magplar for a few reasons:
    * You should be running 7 prismatic glyphs anyway (highest amount of stat density of any combination)
    * 3x Triune isn´t a huge trade off in terms of damage vs 3x arcane or 3x infused, but the extra off-stats and HP you get are very strong, especially in NO-CP.

Adding either BTB (combined with Spring Loaded Infusion) or Shacklebreaker gives almost an excessive amount of off-stats (almost 19k stamina on a magicka build in NO-CP)
    Edited by Qbiken on January 16, 2020 2:38PM
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No major sorcery attached to own skills i horrible disadvantage.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    The amount of options you´ve for magplar in PvP when it comes to gear is really good in my opinion, almost too good. A few sets I think you should consider on magplar:

* Transmutation: Probably the best combo of sustain and defensive set you can get. Absolutely amazing set for NO-CP, great for group-play too.
    *Overwhelming Surge: Procs concussion (8% more damage taken), reveals enemies from stealth and deals a fair amount of damage, what´s there not to like about it
    * Gossamer: Mostly use as a support set, but I´ve found it to be really strong on offensive builds as well. The set shines in group-play though (especially when majority of the group are magicka users).
    * Julianos/axiom: Budget/"I don´t have time to grind gear" option in my opinion.
    * New Moon Acolyte: Big no for NO-CP unless you´ve someone that can throw you orbs or shards. For CP it works but big no for no-cp imo (unless grouped). Even on a breton I find it extremely hard to sustain NMA.
    * Mechanical Acuity: Decent option if you know you´ll be fighting large groups with lots of AoE damage at your disposal.
    * Clever Alchemist: Good option for extra burst damage. Very nice for no-cp due to the extra HP the set bonuses gives you.

When it comes to Shacklebreaker and Bright Throat I don´t think any of those sets are needed on magplar for a few reasons:
    * You should be running 7 prismatic glyphs anyway (highest amount of stat density of any combination)
    * 3x Triune isn´t a huge trade off in terms of damage vs 3x arcane or 3x infused, but the extra off-stats and HP you get are very strong, especially in NO-CP.

Adding either BTB (combined with Spring Loaded Infusion) or Shacklebreaker gives almost an excessive amount of off-stats (almost 19k stamina on a magicka build in NO-CP)

Don't like the new Overwhelming. It ticks for like 250 Vs. properly geared players.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run resto back bar for heavy attacks. it works well. I’d also try radiant aura if you’re S&B back bar, very underrated ability.

A good premade will cycle who’s in front and kite back to refresh buffs and heals. Plus pet zoo builds. Hitting everyone at once with magic steal works well.

I played with aura for a while, but ended up sticking with dark flare and resto back bar. Tanky DKs are a pain and require a lot of burst and the defile to take down.

We'll, i slotted weakness for the damage increase too. My sustains built into my set up, heavy attacking for sustain really only works well for stamina imo.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

I was wearing spinners overwhelming/swift/ Chris light doesn’t feel the same since I have been gone I have a heavy gold set of shackle light and heavy I sold my gold VD jewellery for the BTB I have always loved a back bar transmutation build but I haven’t found the groove since I have been back everything feels different somehow.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We'll, i slotted weakness for the damage increase too. My sustains built into my set up, heavy attacking for sustain really only works well for stamina imo.

Yea, I agree solo but in BGs it works. Lightning heavy attacks are meh, but I like resto with the major mending. I’m a bit squishy so will heavy resto for a bit at range in BGs, then setup and pounce.

There’s usually a stamina who sprints into combat at the start of every BG wanting to take the honour of first to die. I’ll prop them up a bit as a meat shield waiting for an opportunity to burst.

That style is purely for BGs. As soon as a stamwarden sees the first dark flare you’re enemy number 1, and dark flare leaves you vulnerable.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 16, 2020 5:10PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have settled on blood spawn shackle BTB bloody Mara
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »
    I have settled on blood spawn shackle BTB bloody Mara

Not my preferred setup, but still a great option, works better in CP than no-CP. Can even get to a reasonable spell damage with 3X infused spelldam jewels.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m liking pvp now more than ever
    Edited by Destyran on January 16, 2020 9:42PM
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still pair NMA with Transmutation, and dif montster sets, or transmutation and willpower, and 1 piece monster. I play in a small groups on my magplar, and transmustation is nice for everyone, while being great for my sustain since we generally will end up vastly outnumbered no matter where we go. In BGs I wear Spinners, Bloodspawn and BTB..
    Edited by Hexquisite on January 16, 2020 11:47PM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »
    I still pair NMA with Transmutation, and dif montster sets, or transmutation and willpower, and 1 piece monster. I play in a small groups on my magplar, and transmustation is nice for everyone, while being great for my sustain since we generally will end up vastly outnumbered no matter where we go. In BGs I wear Spinners, Bloodspawn and BTB..

Does trans back, NMA front, 1 piece monster and 3 piece willpower work in CP Cyro?

I ran that originally but felt a tad too squishy in BGs. Your post made me think I discarded it too early and it might perform really well in Cyro.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does trans back, NMA front, 1 piece monster and 3 piece willpower work in CP Cyro?

I ran that originally but felt a tad too squishy in BGs. Your post made me think I discarded it too early and it might perform really well in Cyro.

You'd get more out of a full monster
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you would go NMA front BTB body Bloodspawn all impen with potentates back bar or will power
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather just double-bar NMA than do front/back shenanigans, that 625 spelldam (after Sorcery) Is gonna do a lot of good to burst heal yourself out up to a reasonable hp total.

Keep in mind that increasing healing output gives more HPS to your self heals but also increases the healing per mana spent, partially offsetting the NMA drawback. Not to mention that sometimes the increased output of your efficient periodic healing will sometimes allow you to forgo using an expensive burst heal in some situations.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather just double-bar NMA than do front/back shenanigans, that 625 spelldam (after Sorcery) Is gonna do a lot of good to burst heal yourself out up to a reasonable hp total.

Keep in mind that increasing healing output gives more HPS to your self heals but also increases the healing per mana spent, partially offsetting the NMA drawback. Not to mention that sometimes the increased output of your efficient periodic healing will sometimes allow you to forgo using an expensive burst heal in some situations.

Problem is, not only is it increasing the cost of your heal, it's increasing the cost of blocking as well if you are block healing, which is the closest we have to a reset. I also like to have a bar that I sprint with when on the move, which it increases that cost, and it's also nice to have your "ohshit" defensive ultimate available just a little sooner.

Willpower really softens the potency blow.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play SnB I think HotD is to expensive to spam so is purify is rather just back bAr potatoes
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »

I play SnB I think HotD is to expensive to spam so is purify is rather just back bAr potatoes

I think his point is the extra sd gets you full shot needing to spam or block longer.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mist is good for a reset. Mist and LoS, ritual, HTD and set a trap to burst whoever’s chasing.

I prefer back bar potatoes on a resto then blocking, I think it’s a style thing. You either have to build up your stam so you can block a lot, or go more damage stats and heavy attack with a resto.

I like radiating regen so have always gone resto, while leveling I also leveled 2h but didn’t level S&B to compare.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭

It does, but not under laggy/all circumstances. However with the patch yesterday I was able to roll dodge/break free and regen resources pretty good. The reason so many people build tanky is because of server performance, and if this is really fixed perhaps tanky will go away. But then again you could just wear Balorghs if you don't have to be tanky. I think that there is something to be said for having a base high SD without relying on procs/buffs windows. I tried the set up in BGs and didn't like it at all.
    Edited by Hexquisite on January 18, 2020 12:33AM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't beat stam toons in melee range. They hit harder and are tankier. My magplar is wearing Cyrodiils Light and Seducers with three damage glyphs on jewelry. Any tips?

Yea, you’re wearing two sustain sets, your damage is low. Drop one and go NMA instead.

If you’re doing BGs go infused weapon damage, if you go into Cyro too might as well keep arcane. I also prefer 2x swift jewellery.

If you’re purely Cyro I haven’t tried it but I bet scathing mage and NMA would work since sustain is better.

I wear bright throat and NMA, don’t have the same issue, just pick your spots.

Sweep healing is based on damage done, go all in on damage until you can’t anymore and you hit your sustain absolute limit. Then light - toppling - sweeps takes care of most people, dark flare for tanky types.

DKs - keep yourself topped off and watch out for their counter punch. Usually requires a dark flare.
    Stamwarden - watch out for the bugs, I don’t do well against them
    StamNB - joke
    Stamsorc - if they don’t onslaught you win, if they land it kite, if you survive you win
    Stamnecro - make sure you cleanse the defile and don’t get close until your full combo is ready or you’ll be eating blastbones to the face
    Stamtemplar - stalemate, waste of time

My full combo is: light - dark flare - toppling - sweeps. I cut it short a lot depending on the opponent

So I switched to Seducers and NMA now. I have okay spell damage but I'm still getting mauled in melee range by 2h stam toons.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it worth running Spell Power pots so I can make space for different skills on the bar: I would be opening 2 slots by dropping Degen and Vamp?

ok guys this may sound really stupid... One suggestion: is BT +Alifiq an outdated combo now? My take has always been: more mag more damage/healing. It's just that i'm not sure I fancy investing a lot of gold in NMA. Thanks for any suggestions
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on January 18, 2020 10:52AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't beat stam toons in melee range. They hit harder and are tankier. My magplar is wearing Cyrodiils Light and Seducers with three damage glyphs on jewelry. Any tips?

Yea, you’re wearing two sustain sets, your damage is low. Drop one and go NMA instead.

If you’re doing BGs go infused weapon damage, if you go into Cyro too might as well keep arcane. I also prefer 2x swift jewellery.

If you’re purely Cyro I haven’t tried it but I bet scathing mage and NMA would work since sustain is better.

I wear bright throat and NMA, don’t have the same issue, just pick your spots.

Sweep healing is based on damage done, go all in on damage until you can’t anymore and you hit your sustain absolute limit. Then light - toppling - sweeps takes care of most people, dark flare for tanky types.

DKs - keep yourself topped off and watch out for their counter punch. Usually requires a dark flare.
    Stamwarden - watch out for the bugs, I don’t do well against them
    StamNB - joke
    Stamsorc - if they don’t onslaught you win, if they land it kite, if you survive you win
    Stamnecro - make sure you cleanse the defile and don’t get close until your full combo is ready or you’ll be eating blastbones to the face
    Stamtemplar - stalemate, waste of time

My full combo is: light - dark flare - toppling - sweeps. I cut it short a lot depending on the opponent

So I switched to Seducers and NMA now. I have okay spell damage but I'm still getting mauled in melee range by 2h stam toons.

That’s where swift comes in. I kite them, and onslaught will wreck you.

Depending on the class in BGs burst is high enough that a quick burst combo can take players out. Light - toppling - (Crescent) - sweeps spam. If I get into trouble I mist away and line of sight.

Works even against magdks. Despite being a vampire DKs have a longer setup so I try and burst them before they’re done.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 18, 2020 1:14PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    is it worth running Spell Power pots so I can make space for different skills on the bar: I would be opening 2 slots by dropping Degen and Vamp?

ok guys this may sound really stupid... One suggestion: is BT +Alifiq an outdated combo now? My take has always been: more mag more damage/healing. It's just that i'm not sure I fancy investing a lot of gold in NMA. Thanks for any suggestions

It is and isn’t. Major sorcery is a buff you need for pvp, always have to have it. In BGs I’m cheap so use AP pots.

Having a source of major sorcery outside of pots is a massive advantage if you’re willing to spend the gold, the other pots are a million times better.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 18, 2020 1:19PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That set up still works fine, nma is nice bc of our minor sorcery.

Spell power pots for sure imo.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on January 18, 2020 1:36PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That set up still works fine, nma is nice bc of our minor sorcery.

Spell power pots for sure imo.

Agreed, but if you’re going to try and make a 1vX video or doing group play you’ll need immovability pots. There are also some other broken good pots like vitality + heroism + protection and stuff. There are times you need a DK buddy or some ability for major sorc.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Something people dont always think about is opportunity cost to sit there buffing up. Going to hit you armor buff, RAT maybe, Ele drain, and then degeneration? 4 seconds to buff. Oh. And then you're going to want your PL on them. All that is 5 seconds before going aggressive and chances are they already are on you. Maybe you don't use RAT but it's still 4 seconds. And it gets to be even worse if your opponent has a purge as there goes your pen and sustain, your burst in 1 second.

I personally like to run the Alliance Spell Power pots for just constant use and front bar mage light (saves yet another second by having the crit buff passively) Then I carry spell power detect pots if i run into NBs. The downside is what you are giving up in other pots. You could make the argument not having immovable pots and having to break free winds up being the same cost in time, maybe more with lag, but I find being able to get on the offensive faster sets the momentum differently. Either way is probably more of a playstyle choice than anything.

As for your sets. With templar having access to minor sorcery, it generally is consensus spell damage over magicka as it doesnt really help much if you spell damage is low to begin with. Really if you go all magicka, you may not even worry about sorcery at all. Maybe for another class though. NMA gives spell damage AND penetration which is needed right now
    Edited by technohic on January 18, 2020 1:56PM