Maintenance for the week of December 2:
• [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – December 4,  4:00AM EST (09:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – December 4,  4:00AM EST (09:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – December 4,  4:00AM EST (09:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil: An End to Nightcapping

Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
✭✭✭✭✭
Faction Lock was a great first step towards improving the competitive spirit in Cyrodiil, but one more plague exists and it needs to be dealt with if there's to be an actual competition in Cyrodiil. For those who don't know, the act of nightcapping is storming a map during off-hours and gaining many points completely unopposed. For many players, this behavior is met with negativity because it leads to a skewed score increase that is unrepresentative of the contributions and hard work of others in the campaign. The solution to handling this problem is rather simple: place daily faction score caps on each faction's progress for 1st/2nd/3rd place. To be absolutely clear, these would be caps on daily FACTION SCORE gain, NOT player AP.

By implementing a daily cap on the amount of points a faction can earn, factions that perform hard work to overcome resistance during their play hours will not be undermined by players who are online during hours where the enemy is not present. Any player during any time of the day can make progress for their faction, but that progress will be capped each day, regardless of whether they capture 10 or 60 keeps during the night. This means that a faction that earns their 1st place lead and can only be beaten by a faction that rallies together and denies that 1st place faction progress on the battlefield. Yes, this change will lead to a player surge in activity at the start of a campaign, but a 1st place lead is only as good as the effort put forth to maintain it. With both faction lock and daily faction score caps, Cyrodiil's score system will promote healthy competition, regardless of a player's timezone.

EDIT: I'm aware of the fact that players in other timezones are not all maliciously trying to gain an advantage - I know it's just the time you happen to be playing the game. For you, I'm sure NA "primetime" feels like nightcapping, so this change helps everyone out. I think the negative connotation derives from a history of players being shortchanged by a score system that doesn't take into account timezone disparity. If anything, this is the biggest reason why this change needs to happen.

EDIT 2: To be more clear, what I'm looking to do is a stagnated daily scoring cap in 6-hour cycles. This would help combat the issue so that every timezone can contribute. After the cap is reached, the leading faction must still maintain the board state so that their next 6-hour cycle is fruitful, otherwise they risk losing their lead. This still provides an opportunity for trailing factions to mount a comeback from a reasonable score gap.

EDIT 3: This topic blew up fast. Good. This is an ongoing issue that clearly is affecting many players in many timezones. The sooner this issue is dealt with the sooner this animosity between timezones ends. If you don't like my solution, please post your own - I never claimed my solution was the best but a large majority of players can agree that there IS a problem with the scoring system and that it needs to be solved.
Edited by Vercingetorix on July 23, 2019 6:11PM
“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

Not opposed to your idea, though. It has merit.

This
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭
    Is faction score a new thing? Is it like # of keeps, resources, towns?
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

Not opposed to your idea, though. It has merit.

Haha, I know. It's just the term that the community uses. To be fair, it's a lot catchier than "Timezone Population Disparity Capping". I'm also aware of the fact that players in other timezones are not all maliciously trying to gain an advantage - it's just the time you happen to play the game. For you, I'm sure "primetime" feels like nightcapping, so this change helps everyone out.
    Edited by Vercingetorix on July 22, 2019 3:11PM
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Is faction score a new thing? Is it like # of keeps, resources, towns?

No, it's the score you see next to your faction that lists how many keeps, scrolls, resources, etc. your faction has gained recently. It's separate from the individual player rankings on the leaderboard. The faction with the highest score at the end of the campaign wins.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we set Cryodiil to run on Aussie prime time, and limit the North American players from night capping.

Not sure if you're joking, but that still wouldn't solve anything - we'd just end up "nightcapping" the Aussies. Like I said in my OP, this change doesn't give an advantage to anyone, but encourages the factions to fight one another to slow a leading faction's progress since each faction can only gain so many points in a single day. If a faction has lower pop during "primetime", then their fellow friends in other timezones can make up the difference and ensure their faction's daily cap is met.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a second. It's an exploit to play the game in off hours?

I'm not saying it's not stupid to do this when unopposed but to label this an exploit is ridiculous.

It's seen as an exploit. I mentioned it in another post - I don't feel this way, but a lot of the community does. It's really a matter of perspective. I know that folks in Australia are just playing when they would normally play. I'll update my post to be a bit more clear about this. I don't want folks thinking I'm hating on other timezones, because I'm certainly not trying to do that!
  • TriangularChicken
    TriangularChicken
    ✭✭✭✭
    faction lock and competitive spirit in the same sentence OMEGA LUUUUL K~
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is more about population imbalance in off hours else the map would not be being flipped one color.
    So make NPC and Keep walls/doors much tougher for the faction with the highest population, or the scoring lower.
    This would help balance for all times played.
    "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."
    Lupis Mortis EP Magplar
    Duke of Blood EP Stamplar
    Aphotic Delirium DC Magplar
    Roll Your Bones DC Stamcro

PSN: Tequilafire
    PC: @Tequilafire

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    We’ve had this thread before. “Night capping” does not exist in a game that is open to players across the world. Always remember, everything does not revolve around North America and Western Europe .

Very good point. Clearly night capping cannot exist in a game designed and intended to be played 24 hours a day by players across the world.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Zos purposely provide support on the NA server to Japan when they "expanded" the game to server that nation?

To demonstrate how misconceived this notion is, I am pretty sure it is night time in Japan and daytime in for the grand ole USA. See how that works?
    Really, idk
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Time zones aside, you know that your daily “scoring cap” would apply to the trailing factions as well, right? Could you imagine how frustrating it would be to the faction in third place if they had a span of days in which they were really well-organized, got their butts into gear, and pushed hard to make it to first...only to be hit with a scoring cap? Sorry guys, you’re doing too well, no more score gains for you!

Again, in my post I mention this - it would fall to the trailing factions to hinder the leading faction's progress to take the lead. It's no different for anyone else. If you don't fight for the lead, why should be handed it on an uncontested battlefield? This change puts an end to the needless animosity between other timezones just for playing at different hour of the day than another timezone. This change needs to happen.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    Love the idea, so no time-zone is more impacted than another one.

Edit : And people who speak about aussie and other time-zone, clearly don't have read the OP post.

For those who don't know, the act of nightcapping is storming a map during off-hours and gaining many points completely unopposed. If it sounds like an exploit to you, that's because it is.

Oh I read it.

Just because they are unopposed because that's their time to get on the game, doesnt mean they are exploiting.

Where the hell is the rapport with my com' ?
    I speak about the IDEA the OP share.
    So how the hell do you come at this ?

READ THE COM BEFORE ANSWER [snip].

OP idea :
    The solution to handling this problem is rather simple: place daily faction score caps on each faction's progress for 1st/2nd/3rd place. To be absolutely clear, these would be caps on daily FACTION SCORE gain, NOT player AP

[edited for circumventing profanity filter]
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on July 23, 2019 8:06PM
    PC - EU

Characters :
    HL Content :
    Breton - Templar - Healer
    Nord - Warden - Healer
    Breton - Necromancer - Healer

Mid Content :
    Breton - Dragon Knight - Healer
    Khajiit - Sorcerer - Healer
    Khajiit - Night Blade - Healer

Story Content :
    Nord - Dragon Knight - Tank/Dps

My English is far from perfect but I try my best !
This discussion has been closed.