The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Cyrodiil: An End to Nightcapping

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaal map on PC/NA, screenshotted shortly before this post, 6:45am CST for me (note the hammer).

iItZ8JK.jpg

So AD got the hammer and took a bunch of keeps, which is what the hammer is designed to do? K.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    The only people who need to “get over” anything is ethnocentric North Americans who think the entire world revolves around and caters to them.

Oceanic players need to "get over" stacking one faction.

There wasn't a single line of chat in EP zone for 16 minutes, from 6:51am to 7:07am CST.
    Edited by xylena_lazarow on July 24, 2019 12:15PM
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heelie wrote: »
    Possibly stupid, but why do Aussies play NA server....just saying...

Where else? Some do play on EU but NA has got better matching time zones and ping.

I get that though. My point is other MMOs I've played in the past you were always locked to the server region that your IP registers to. While ZOS seriously needs to fix the EU server, arguments of "what about aussies" playing in NA server is invalid. You're playing in a server that is designed to a specific region and time zones for prime time. Get over it.

Which other MMOs would these be? LOTRO does not have an Oceanic server. GW2 does not have an Oceanic server. Black Desert Online does not have an oceanic server. In fact, after a quick Google search, the only big name MMO I can find that has Oceanic servers is WoW.

The only people who need to “get over” anything is ethnocentric North Americans who think the entire world revolves around and caters to them.

"Played in the past" is what I said. Not current MMOs as I switched to ESO at launch after a break from gaming. Believe it or not some of us are about the 18-25 age category. Also, the NA server does actually kinda revolve around North Americans...lol
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So AD got the hammer and took a bunch of keeps, which is what the hammer is designed to do? K.

I'm pretty sure the hammer was designed to help the underdog factions even the odds, not enable the high pop faction to wipe the map even faster. The team with the highest points per hour shouldn't even be allowed to touch it.
  • Electric_Pickle
    It's just a game. Enjoy it in spite all of its faults :)
    Edited by Electric_Pickle on July 24, 2019 1:21PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. ITT AD absolutely sucks and can only win if they stack when no one else is around.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where else? Some do play on EU but NA has got better matching time zones and ping.

I get that though. My point is other MMOs I've played in the past you were always locked to the server region that your IP registers to. While ZOS seriously needs to fix the EU server, arguments of "what about aussies" playing in NA server is invalid. You're playing in a server that is designed to a specific region and time zones for prime time. Get over it.

Which other MMOs would these be? LOTRO does not have an Oceanic server. GW2 does not have an Oceanic server. Black Desert Online does not have an oceanic server. In fact, after a quick Google search, the only big name MMO I can find that has Oceanic servers is WoW.

"Played in the past" is what I said. Not current MMOs as I switched to ESO at launch after a break from gaming. Believe it or not some of us are about the 18-25 age category. Also, the NA server does actually kinda revolve around North Americans...lol

I’m above the 18-25 age category too, and have fond memories of playing with Aussies in multiple MMOs over the past decade and a half. Name any older MMOs besides WoW that had the playerbase and income to run Oceanic servers, please. :)

MMOs are global games. Servers are usually based in the US and Western Europe because that is where the companies running said global games have their physical infrastructure and employees. It makes zero financial sense to purchase/rent data centres and servers all over the world (not to mention hiring the necessary people to maintain them) for a freaking MMORPG, when servers based in one or two locations can do the job. WoW can support Oceanic servers because it has the income and population to do so — though I wouldn’t be surprised to see their Oceanic servers shut down in the coming years, as WoW is bleeding players like a stuck pig. ESO’s NA servers are not there for the sole use of North American players — North America just happens to be one of the two locations in which this global game has servers.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure the hammer was designed to help the underdog factions even the odds, not enable the high pop faction to wipe the map even faster. The team with the highest points per hour shouldn't even be allowed to touch it.

It’s a random spawn. It’s there for chaos and fun, not to introduce balance lmao. You know who Sheogorath is, right?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    They is. There is a low pop bonus. Pretty sure that is still in play. That mechanic was added the first year this game was out because Cyrodiil was never intended to be balanced. It was never intended to have balance between the factions.

Really? What kind of bonus does the low pop get when they have no keeps? Example: Last weekend EP had 1 bar and AD had 3 bars. AD took all of EPs keeps/scrolls. Did EP get any bonus for having nothing and getting farmed?

If I'm not mistaken low pop bonus gives you extra points if you "take"/"defend" keeps.

Edited by vamp_emily on July 24, 2019 12:35PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaal map on PC/NA, screenshotted shortly before this post, 6:45am CST for me (note the hammer).

iItZ8JK.jpg

I’m sure they had most the keeps before, they tend to have 2x the numbers of EP/DC combined at this time

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who play primetime PCNA set their alarms to get up and play is n the middle of the night when the campaign is empty. AD does do this. Period. So forget all that it’s Aussies or Oceanic players.

AD guilds pvdoor trade emp etc.

That’s some next-level paranoia on display there. Is it not more likely, perhaps, that you’ve got some North American players on PC NA who are night owls? Shift workers who usually sleep during the day anyway for work? Players who would otherwise be in bed but are suffering from insomnia and trying to tire themselves out with a bit of gaming? Why is “AD SETS ALARMS TO PLAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT” your go-to assumption? Do you have proof?

Also, I find it funny that you guys never complain about “day capping” during the work week. There are retirees, stay at home moms/dads, people on vacation, shift workers on their days off, people who are unemployed, kids on summer vacation, etc. who play during the middle of the day when most of the NA playerbase is at work. Pop numbers during the day are lower than NA prime time numbers, but there’s almost always good action to be found all over the map.

I’m not telling you what I THINK. I’m telling you what I KNOW. An AD friend of mine told me that people in AD set their alarms to get up and play in the middle of the night to take over the map. Trade emp etc. I didn’t ask. She just told me.

I fight these same folks in primetime Ni, Fantasia, Avante Guarde etc when I’m off Monday’s and Tuesday’s. Rest of the time I play in the middle of the night. You get to know who is who in Cyro. I used to think some of the nightcappers were no lifers, always on etc. Before that I assumed like everyone else nightcappers were Aussies or Oceanic players. Nightcappers aren’t.

My AD friend ran with Fantasia, runs with Ni now. She tells me stuff about AD, how the Ball Zergs work. Take emp for example. They most certainly nightcap to get emp. They most certainly trade it, take turns or whatever.

Last campaign it was her turn. She messaged me as much and asked me not to login and kill her because it was her turn and she wanted to get it. It’s not like first Bobby, then Bobby steps down, then it’s Judy.

Basically you have to go hat in hand to some fool and tell them you want to emp and they’ll agree to push for you if you have the lead. You don’t have to step down but you have to agree to slow down after you loose it. Apparently there was a little stink in AD when some Squishy/tank Necro emp decided not to slow down.

This does not happen on kaal. There is too much competition on that campaign.

I've seen it on the 7 day CP (Shor) though.
    Edited by Katahdin on July 24, 2019 12:43PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s a random spawn. It’s there for chaos and fun, not to introduce balance lmao. You know who Sheogorath is, right?

There is no "chaos" on a single color map, there is no "fun" for the low pop factions, nor is there "fun" for AD players looking for competitive PvP during this time window. You know who Jyggalag is, right?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is not an Aussie or AD issue; there's no need to chase that red herring. It wasn't that long ago EP was pop locked in the early afternoon versus almost no one, doing the same thing with only slightly less success.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    They is. There is a low pop bonus. Pretty sure that is still in play. That mechanic was added the first year this game was out because Cyrodiil was never intended to be balanced. It was never intended to have balance between the factions.

Really? What kind of bonus does the low pop get when they have no keeps? Example: Last weekend EP had 1 bar and AD had 3 bars. AD took all of EPs keeps/scrolls. Did EP get any bonus for having nothing and getting farmed?

If I'm not mistaken low pop bonus gives you extra points if you "take"/"defend" keeps.

First. it was pointed out in a very well worded manner that was I was thinking about is personal AP earnings.

It would be a great idea to make it alliance points earned by the alliance for actions earned during the period they are low pop. It is a much better solution than to tell a great number of players that Zos does not want their money anymore which is exactly what these "night capping" threads propose.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

Not opposed to your idea, though. It has merit.

Aussies need their own server or hell an Asia Oceania server would be a huge help for their lag. As it stand Aussies player are Nightcappers the planet has 24 time zones NA does not.

But NA players are the night cappers when Aussies sleep. lmao
    Give it up.

NA time zones are the only ones that matter it’s the NA server not the world server. I’m sure Asia and Oceania would love there own servers. It’s not nightcapping if it’s day time or mid evening in the main time zones which are the NA ones period.

What a selfish attitude.
    It is a world server for those that don't have a regional server it just happens to be located in North America.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this suddenly an issue after introducing faction locks and Volendrung? Is it faction locks that made this more of an issue, Volendrung, or a combination of both? This wasn't an issue two months ago.
    Edited by Ahtu on July 24, 2019 2:17PM
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    It's not a design flaw that people outside of the US are playing a game that's designed to be available for the entire world, and I'm amazed so many people here think that it is. And accordingly, people outside the US are not 'exploiting' the game simply by playing it in their own part of the world - and I'm amazed so many people here think they are.

It's not amazing at all, people, sadly, are increasingly self-absorbed, and sadly gamers tend to typify the worst of that. Too much time spent alone in front of a screen.

Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

Aussies need their own server or hell an Asia Oceania server would be a huge help for their lag. As it stand Aussies player are Nightcappers the planet has 24 time zones NA does not.

Give it up.

NA time zones are the only ones that matter it’s the NA server not the world server. I’m sure Asia and Oceania would love there own servers. It’s not nightcapping if it’s day time or mid evening in the main time zones which are the NA ones period.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the prosecution rests....

Would mean a hell of a lot more if we didn’t have a EU Server... this is poor design the NA server is taken over by players literally on the other side of the planet they hold the WHOLE map for 8-10 hours straight and make a point lend too big to close. I have no hate for non NA players and I’m not self absorbed you put in work knowing that the side with night cappers will always win is bs.

Having them on the other side of the planet cause real problems for them as well bad lag and low number of players on when you’re on. It’s an easy fix. Given them their own server already. This is not enjoyable for anyone.

Aussies get better ping on the NA server, and the NA server is actually a better match for their own time zones (i.e. during their various prime times, they get to play with NA folks who are at home during the day). They’re also more likely to find guilds that, you know, speak their own language on the NA server. You ARE being self-absorbed when you say that only North Americans should be able to play on the NA server. While I’m sure the Aussies would love their own server, ZOS would have already implemented an Oceanic server if they felt there was sufficient need/resources/money to earn. We currently have only two servers for a global game, so quit trying to dictate who should play on what server.

Also, did you not read my post about how many official time zones there are in North America? Someone playing at prime time in Alaska/Hawaii/the west coast is playing during the middle of the night from my perspective here in Atlantic Canada. They are “nightcapping” like your dreaded Aussies. When I play at my prime time, I’m “daycapping” from their perspective. And this is WITHIN NORTH AMERICA. Again, don’t be so self absorbed. It’s a big ol’ world we live in, and we all get to play in it.

P.S. I’m posting this at almost 7am on my time. If you’re a west-coaster, I’ll look for your response sometime after lunch. You know, because North Armerica is so large, with so many time zones. :)

Better ping is not much of a statement when they normally have a ping for 250. I never once said only NA players should be able to play NA I said only NA time zones matter when talking about NA. This game does not have a huge Aussie player base If they had a Oceania and Asia server they would get much better pings.

What fun are they having fighting doors?? If ZoS made it better for them to play more gamers if the area would play 250 ping being normal is too much for many players I have seen tons of my Aussie friends drop this game. The whole it’s a world wide serve would again hold more weight if they didn’t have an EU server. As ZoS is an American company makes sense they would have an America server but if they really wanted to have the whole world on just two server then placing the other server on the other side of the planet would make the most sense.

ZoS simply did not want invest in a Oceania server cause they didn’t think they would have enough players to really matter. Who here can ZoS never overlooks pretty obvious things cause they have poor foresight.

If you are on the East Coast you have tons of players in your time zone Even the Hawaiian have Alaskan and West Coaster online you don’t need the continent online but you have more then enough. I’m in Central time just cause it’s out of my prime time doesn’t mean other parts of NA can’t be in there time line. Equal number don’t wake up on monotoned maps

iItZ8JK.jpg

This is how the looks every damn morning cause who could have guessed that the players with little to be would start gravitating to one side just to get something done who could have seen that coming.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point you are missing is AD has done that every morning on PS4 NA for last several years regardless of faction locks.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no "chaos" on a single color map, there is no "fun" for the low pop factions, nor is there "fun" for AD players looking for competitive PvP during this time window. You know who Jyggalag is, right?

You incorrectly stated that the hammer was designed to help underdog factions. It was not. If you have an issue with the random way in which the hammer spawns, that’s a separate issue that has little to do with “nightcapping.”
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it up.

What a selfish attitude.
    It is a world server for those that don't have a regional server it just happens to be located in North America.

My whole point is that they should have their own server they are not getting same quality as players with regional server to which we have one two.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it up.

What a selfish attitude.

My whole point is that they should have their own server they are not getting same quality as players with regional server to which we have one two.

Don't you think they would also like to have their own server?
    But they don't and won't so just take everything back enjoy the ap for doing so and move on.
    Edited by TequilaFire on July 24, 2019 2:00PM
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    F***. Me these flat earthers just don’t quit or don’t communicate

Please insert the hours of your suggested “daytime” and the rest of the globe (sphere,orb and the like) will just have to adapt

I’m seeing how this works
    Edited by Kram8ion on July 24, 2019 2:09PM
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why not give "Asia and Oceanic" players their own sever? Nothing selfish about it. They play against NPCs on the NA server and if they had their own server they would play against NPCs. It is a win win for everyone.

Edited by vamp_emily on July 24, 2019 2:05PM

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it up.

What a selfish attitude.

Look at you, pretending to care about the quality of the game they’re getting! If ZOS implements an Oceanic server, then that’s great news for Oceanic players’ ping. Until then, though, they are more than welcome to play with us on the NA server, in this game that supports a global playerbase. :)
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    Why is this suddenly an issue after introducing faction locks and Volendrung? Is it faction locks that made this more of an issue, Volendrung, or a combination of both?

Its because people go for the easy path. Jumping on the winning faction is no longer an option at the end of the campaign so next best is night capping. Blaming the Ausies and Oceanic players is just a red herring as it happens with that, but it seems to have exploded more now.

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Why is this suddenly an issue after introducing faction locks and Volendrung? Is it faction locks that made this more of an issue, Volendrung, or a combination of both?

Its because people go for the easy path. Jumping on the winning faction is no longer an option at the end of the campaign so next best is night capping. Blaming the Ausies and Oceanic players is just a red herring as it happens with that, but it seems to have exploded more now.

Night capping has been talked about since I've been around ( 2015 ).

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it up.

What a selfish attitude.

It does not appear this will be happening. Nothing indicates Zos is interested in creating an Oceanic server.

Further, Oceanic servers are often the first to go when games consolidate. SWTOR is a prime example as they closed their Oceanic servers two mergers ago.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is poor design the NA server is taken over by players literally on the other side of the planet they hold the WHOLE map for 8-10 hours straight and make a point lend too big to close.

You know, "NA" is just a name related to the physical location of the server, not an ownership (the same goes for "EU", that is located in Europe but we share the time zones with Africa, for example).
    I have no hate for non NA players

Yeah, your posts are oozing with love for us outlanders.

Besides that, I have a work and a family, during a typical weekday I play from 22:00 to 24:00 CET, while on Saturdays and Sundays I may be able to squeeze in a couple of hours in the morning or early afternoon, so from my point of view whatever happens during the other 20-22 hours a day is "nightcapping".

iItZ8JK.jpg

A single screenshot of the map is a bit meaningless, what would be interesting is a timelapse of the map at 15-30 minutes steps during a whole week, with the matching population bars: I found myself more than once in Cyrodiil with seemingly balanced populations but really with just a handful of truly active players, sometimes distributed among the alliances, sometimes all on one side
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this suddenly an issue after introducing faction locks and Volendrung? Is it faction locks that made this more of an issue, Volendrung, or a combination of both? This wasn't an issue two months ago.

It is not 'suddenly an issue'. A search of the Forum returns over 100 pages of results mentioning 'night capping'.

Same complaint, same arguments.

Here's one from four and a half years ago as an example:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/148244/what-is-this-nightcapping

If you ignore the dates, that thread could be this thread.
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even within the same a time zone people work at different times. Plenty of my friends are bartenders or work at night time on some other way. This means that most of the time they play in the hours 7-12 in the morning. This is not exactly prime time.
    Most OwOrated healer of all time
This discussion has been closed.