Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil: An End to Nightcapping

Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
✭✭✭✭✭
Faction Lock was a great first step towards improving the competitive spirit in Cyrodiil, but one more plague exists and it needs to be dealt with if there's to be an actual competition in Cyrodiil. For those who don't know, the act of nightcapping is storming a map during off-hours and gaining many points completely unopposed. For many players, this behavior is met with negativity because it leads to a skewed score increase that is unrepresentative of the contributions and hard work of others in the campaign. The solution to handling this problem is rather simple: place daily faction score caps on each faction's progress for 1st/2nd/3rd place. To be absolutely clear, these would be caps on daily FACTION SCORE gain, NOT player AP.

By implementing a daily cap on the amount of points a faction can earn, factions that perform hard work to overcome resistance during their play hours will not be undermined by players who are online during hours where the enemy is not present. Any player during any time of the day can make progress for their faction, but that progress will be capped each day, regardless of whether they capture 10 or 60 keeps during the night. This means that a faction that earns their 1st place lead and can only be beaten by a faction that rallies together and denies that 1st place faction progress on the battlefield. Yes, this change will lead to a player surge in activity at the start of a campaign, but a 1st place lead is only as good as the effort put forth to maintain it. With both faction lock and daily faction score caps, Cyrodiil's score system will promote healthy competition, regardless of a player's timezone.

EDIT: I'm aware of the fact that players in other timezones are not all maliciously trying to gain an advantage - I know it's just the time you happen to be playing the game. For you, I'm sure NA "primetime" feels like nightcapping, so this change helps everyone out. I think the negative connotation derives from a history of players being shortchanged by a score system that doesn't take into account timezone disparity. If anything, this is the biggest reason why this change needs to happen.

EDIT 2: To be more clear, what I'm looking to do is a stagnated daily scoring cap in 6-hour cycles. This would help combat the issue so that every timezone can contribute. After the cap is reached, the leading faction must still maintain the board state so that their next 6-hour cycle is fruitful, otherwise they risk losing their lead. This still provides an opportunity for trailing factions to mount a comeback from a reasonable score gap.

EDIT 3: This topic blew up fast. Good. This is an ongoing issue that clearly is affecting many players in many timezones. The sooner this issue is dealt with the sooner this animosity between timezones ends. If you don't like my solution, please post your own - I never claimed my solution was the best but a large majority of players can agree that there IS a problem with the scoring system and that it needs to be solved.
Edited by Vercingetorix on July 23, 2019 6:11PM
“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

Not opposed to your idea, though. It has merit.
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Obligatory reminder that Earth has 24 time zones, which means Aussies do not 'night cap'.

This
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faction locks made this worse lmao.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about we set Cryodiil to run on Aussie prime time, and limit the North American players from night capping.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is faction score a new thing? Is it like # of keeps, resources, towns?
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha, I know. It's just the term that the community uses. To be fair, it's a lot catchier than "Timezone Population Disparity Capping". I'm also aware of the fact that players in other timezones are not all maliciously trying to gain an advantage - it's just the time you happen to play the game. For you, I'm sure "primetime" feels like nightcapping, so this change helps everyone out.
    Edited by Vercingetorix on July 22, 2019 3:11PM
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Is faction score a new thing? Is it like # of keeps, resources, towns?

No, it's the score you see next to your faction that lists how many keeps, scrolls, resources, etc. your faction has gained recently. It's separate from the individual player rankings on the leaderboard. The faction with the highest score at the end of the campaign wins.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we set Cryodiil to run on Aussie prime time, and limit the North American players from night capping.

Not sure if you're joking, but that still wouldn't solve anything - we'd just end up "nightcapping" the Aussies. Like I said in my OP, this change doesn't give an advantage to anyone, but encourages the factions to fight one another to slow a leading faction's progress since each faction can only gain so many points in a single day. If a faction has lower pop during "primetime", then their fellow friends in other timezones can make up the difference and ensure their faction's daily cap is met.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

NA servers, just sayin'. If you're out there capturing every resource in Cyrodiil while it is night time in NA, you're night capping...
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wait a second. It's an exploit to play the game in off hours?

I'm not saying it's not stupid to do this when unopposed but to label this an exploit is ridiculous.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the idea, so no time-zone is more impacted than another one.

Edit : And people who speak about aussie and other time-zone, clearly don't have read the OP post.
    Edited by Aznarb on July 22, 2019 3:22PM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again someone wants to make it so my play time is inconsequential to the campaign because I am not able to play with OP can.

This is a 24 hour a day game that spans time zones across the world. Think about it for a moment. Zos specifically and purposely chose to support Japan on their NA server.

If Zos were to implement this they would be telling half their player base they do not want their money anymore because I do not live on the same continent as their server. Not exactly a wise business move.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a second. It's an exploit to play the game in off hours?

I'm not saying it's not stupid to do this when unopposed but to label this an exploit is ridiculous.

It's seen as an exploit. I mentioned it in another post - I don't feel this way, but a lot of the community does. It's really a matter of perspective. I know that folks in Australia are just playing when they would normally play. I'll update my post to be a bit more clear about this. I don't want folks thinking I'm hating on other timezones, because I'm certainly not trying to do that!
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Haha, I know. It's just the term that the community uses. To be fair, it's a lot catchier than "Timezone Population Disparity Capping". I'm also aware of the fact that players in other timezones are not all maliciously trying to gain an advantage - it's just the time you happen to play the game. For you, I'm sure "primetime" feels like nightcapping, so this change helps everyone out.

"Timezone Population Disparity Capping" I rate this Awesome.

I'm in North America. I know it's bedtime when I hear Aussie accents taking over group chat :)
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »

Edit : And people who speak about aussie and other time-zone, clearly don't have read the OP post.

For those who don't know, the act of nightcapping is storming a map during off-hours and gaining many points completely unopposed. If it sounds like an exploit to you, that's because it is.

Oh I read it.

Just because they are unopposed because that's their time to get on the game, doesnt mean they are exploiting.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Either the OP's suggestion would have no effect on campaign scoring at any point of the day or night or your comment is clearly false.

If the scoring cap is reached by the time I am able to log in and play then it does affect me. That is a rock solid fact.

I do like how the fact that my playtime is not the same as your playtime that it is considered exploiting. If you truly believe that then report the players to Zos. I seriously doubt Zos sees playing the game normally and as expected an exploit.
    Edited by idk on July 22, 2019 3:30PM
  • TriangularChicken
    TriangularChicken
    ✭✭✭✭
    faction lock and competitive spirit in the same sentence OMEGA LUUUUL K~
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    delete hammer
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We’ve had this thread before. “Night capping” does not exist in a game that is open to players across the world. Always remember, everything does not revolve around North America and Western Europe .
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Night capping?! This is delusional.
    Do you know ESO is played globally!?

PS - Labeling this as an exploit it's just ridiculous.
    Edited by redlink1979 on July 22, 2019 3:36PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who don't know, the act of nightcapping is storming a map during off-hours and gaining many points completely unopposed. If it sounds like an exploit to you, that's because it is.

Oh I read it.

Just because they are unopposed because that's their time to get on the game, doesnt mean they are exploiting.

Read my edit. I answered a few people directly, but wanted to clear up any confusion with an edit. I n typical internet fashion, people reacted before I could get the edit posted. I'm not hating on anyone - the entire nightcap issue exists on both sides and for that reason scoring system needs to change.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is more about population imbalance in off hours else the map would not be being flipped one color.
    So make NPC and Keep walls/doors much tougher for the faction with the highest population, or the scoring lower.
    This would help balance for all times played.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    We’ve had this thread before. “Night capping” does not exist in a game that is open to players across the world. Always remember, everything does not revolve around North America and Western Europe .

Very good point. Clearly night capping cannot exist in a game designed and intended to be played 24 hours a day by players across the world.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Zos purposely provide support on the NA server to Japan when they "expanded" the game to server that nation?

To demonstrate how misconceived this notion is, I am pretty sure it is night time in Japan and daytime in for the grand ole USA. See how that works?
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Very good point. Clearly night capping cannot exist in a game designed and intended to be played 24 hours a day by players across the world.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Zos purposely provide support on the NA server to Japan when they "expanded" the game to server that nation?

To demonstrate how misconceived this notion is, I am pretty sure it is night time in Japan and daytime in for the grand ole USA. See how that works?

You choose to ignore every one of my posts outlining the very reason for why the change needs to happen. See, I know that the majority of folks overseas are not maliciously trying to gain an advantage by playing on an empty map, yet you seem to paint this need for changing the score system as an attack. It's about correcting an issue with scoreboards and the population disparity tied to them - I mentioned that several times in this thread. Ignoring facts doesn't make you right.
    Edited by Vercingetorix on July 22, 2019 3:44PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time zones aside, you know that your daily “scoring cap” would apply to the trailing factions as well, right? Could you imagine how frustrating it would be to the faction in third place if they had a span of days in which they were really well-organized, got their butts into gear, and pushed hard to make it to first...only to be hit with a scoring cap? Sorry guys, you’re doing too well, no more score gains for you!
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time zones aside, you know that your daily “scoring cap” would apply to the trailing factions as well, right? Could you imagine how frustrating it would be to the faction in third place if they had a span of days in which they were really well-organized, got their butts into gear, and pushed hard to make it to first...only to be hit with a scoring cap? Sorry guys, you’re doing too well, no more score gains for you!

Again, in my post I mention this - it would fall to the trailing factions to hinder the leading faction's progress to take the lead. It's no different for anyone else. If you don't fight for the lead, why should be handed it on an uncontested battlefield? This change puts an end to the needless animosity between other timezones just for playing at different hour of the day than another timezone. This change needs to happen.
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    I think if people are that passionate about the campaign score that they think people who can only play during off hours are exploiting because there is little resistance then set an alarm clock and play during those hours.

Otherwise stop complaining, Cyrodiil doesn't have a curfew and people who play during off hours likely are in a different time zone and that's the only time they could play.

They also likely don't enjoy playing during those hours because as was mentioned, there is nobody to fight.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You choose to ignore every one of my posts outlining the very reason for why the change needs to happen. See, I know that the majority of folks overseas are not maliciously trying to gain an advantage by playing on an empty map, yet you seem to paint this need for changing the score system as an attack. It's about correcting an issue with scoreboards and the population disparity tied to them - I mentioned that several times in this thread. Ignoring facts doesn't make you right.

Please do not falsely accuse me of ignoring something because I disagree based on how the idea is intended to minimize the value of some players.

If your idea is to have a cap set that would be reached before or near the end of prime time where you live then it is about segregation. It is about creating inequality and telling people who play at different times because of where they live or the hours they work that their money or playtime efforts are to have a reduced value. You have even inferred these people of exploiting because their playtime differs from yours.

That is specifically what the idea in the OP is presenting.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I read it.

Where the hell is the rapport with my com' ?
    I speak about the IDEA the OP share.
    So how the hell do you come at this ?

READ THE COM BEFORE ANSWER [snip].

OP idea :
    The solution to handling this problem is rather simple: place daily faction score caps on each faction's progress for 1st/2nd/3rd place. To be absolutely clear, these would be caps on daily FACTION SCORE gain, NOT player AP

[edited for circumventing profanity filter]
    Edited by ZOS_RogerJ on July 23, 2019 8:06PM
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please do not falsely accuse me of ignoring something because I disagree based on how the idea is intended to minimize the value of some players.

If your idea is to have a cap set that would be reached before or near the end of prime time where you live then it is about segregation. It is about creating inequality and telling people who play at different times because of where they live or the hours they work that their money or playtime efforts are to have a reduced value. You have even inferred these people of exploiting because their playtime differs from yours.

That is specifically what the idea in the OP is presenting.

How is what we have right now any better? Right now, people from other timezones are demonized by others just for simply playing the game when they are awake. The scoring system needs to work for everyone. You are starting to sound like one of the bad apples that are actually trying to exploit the system, making the rest of the overseas folks here look bad. That's poor taste, dude. This change would end the pointless animosity between timezones and you're against it because you personally profit off of it...
This discussion has been closed.