Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Alucardmike
    Alucardmike
    ✭✭✭
    wedgebert wrote: »
    shimm wrote: »
    I would just like hunter’s eye changed to... anything else. Worst passive of any racial passive.

Yes. Something more useful, like +10% cuteness or -5% probabilty to sneeze...

Careful now, -5% chance to sneeze would be pretty OP during allergy season

You forgot, that Bosmer have natural immunity to allergy. Or was this also removed like stealth?
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just like hunter’s eye changed to... anything else. Worst passive of any racial passive.

You forgot, that Bosmer have natural immunity to allergy. Or was this also removed like stealth?

Pretty sure Allergy immunity falls under disease resistance, which indeed we lost as well :D
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • DarkerDreams
    DarkerDreams
    ✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

Pretty sure Allergy immunity falls under disease resistance, which indeed we lost as well :D

Yep. We can still eat what we kill, but no guarantee you won't get sick from it now.

Glad to see this thread still going.
    Edited by DarkerDreams on May 28, 2019 12:51PM
  • Quiet_One
    Quiet_One
    ✭✭
    I find it extremely silly that suddenly two races which obviously both are stealth focused can't have a stealth passive? They don't have to be the same passive, just both have a stealth bonus in them. Bosmers have always struck me as the stealthy and archer kind, just like wood elves are in many other universes outside of TES.

I do have a bosmer character who I made to be the stealth type, but at this point I can say I'd speak out even if I didn't, it's just that silly.
    PC-EU
  • Alucardmike
    Alucardmike
    ✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

I think, allergy is more like poison...
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it a hard concept to believe that wood elves, of all the races, would have issues with pollen.
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad this thread is still going strong. The Bosmer stealth passive loss was one of the two most glaring lore inconsistencies brought about by the recent racial passive changes. The Argonian's poison resistance loss being the other.

I understand that the Khajiit are the most stealthy race, yet the Bosmer are well know for this as well, and should have some reduction to their detection radius. For example if Khajiit have a 3m reduction, then the Bosmer would have a 2m reduction.
    Edited by jlmurra2 on May 28, 2019 2:21PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    I understand that the Khajiit are the most stealthy race, yet the Bosmer are well know for this as well, and should have some reduction to their detection radius. For example if Khajiit have a 3m reduction, then the Bosmer would have a 2m reduction.

But they aren't :/
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

I've seen many in game references to Bosmer stealth, but can't recall anything from books or npc dialogues about Khajiit stealth........ other than the new back and forth in the Rimmen Outlaw's Refuge.

Edited by Jaraal on May 28, 2019 3:08PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, actually passives are completely mismatched. In original lore Bosmers are more stealthy and better thieves, while Khajiits have better night vision and are acrobats so should have reduced fall damage and increased speed after jump/roll.
    But salespersons know that khajiits are like one of distinctive features of ESO, so their racials are made to be useful and universal for average new player of Elsweyr, while bosmer's are like collection of least desired passives and useful only as niche for PVP.
    ZYQUWZe.jpg
    l6egkUZ.jpg
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep, actually passives are completely mismatched. In original lore Bosmers are more stealthy and better thieves, while Khajiits have better night vision and are acrobats so should have reduced fall damage and increased speed after jump/roll.
    But salespersons know that khajiits are like one of distinctive features of ESO, so their racials are made to be useful and universal for average new player of Elsweyr, while bosmer's are like collection of least desired passives and useful only as niche for PVP.
    ZYQUWZe.jpg
    l6egkUZ.jpg
    In Morrowwind and Oblivion Bosmer were more sneaky, but Khajiit had some sneakiness and better skill picking locks and pockets. The only reason why Khajiit got more stealth in Skyrim was because Acrobatics disappeared entirely, and since each race had only one main skill and Bosmer had Archery as their main this left stealth as the main skill for Khajiit. Naturally, Bosmer now have no bonus to using bows and no bonus to stealth, meaning there is not one shred of their identity left now.

No-one is fooled: the Devs got Bosmer completely wrong. The time is long passed for them to admit this and indicate how they will correct it.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on May 28, 2019 3:38PM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left4Daud wrote: »
    @KMarble

If it's "working as intended" it's fundamentally not broken, by definition. You could argue that it's unbalanced. But it's not actually broken.

For the record, I was the poster/tester that initially brought Khajiit super stealth stacking to light back during the Wrathstone PTS, which prompted the devs to make the following changes:

Khajiit

Feline Ambush: Decreased the reduction of your Stealth radius to 3m from 5m.

Developer Comment:

With the introduction of CP scaling with the flat stats of the races, we made sure to make some minor adjustments so Khajiit wouldn't fall behind the other races. The bonus to the stealth radius was also slightly over tuned and allowed you to sneak too effectively. Now, you shouldn't be able to sneak in the face of guards and wave unless you've heavily invested into sneaking with gear and other passives.

You shouldn't be able to sneak in the face of guards and wave unless you've heavily invested into sneaking with gear and other passives.

That is from the devs themselves.

It's working as intended.

Thank you for correcting me. For some reason, I missed that dev comment. I was wrongly assuming they lowered the stealth back then because it was too much (IMO, it was) and nothing else.

Now I see that there was another element, which we didn't know about back then, the gear set.
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still a useless passive. Stealth or no stealth, give me something I can actually use.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the more I think about it, the more it appears to me that the whole back and forth dialogue between the Khajiit and the Bosmer in Rimmen about who are the better thieves is ZOS' tongue in cheek way of responding to this entire discussion.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    And the more I think about it, the more it appears to me that the whole back and forth dialogue between the Khajiit and the Bosmer in Rimmen about who are the better thieves is ZOS' tongue in cheek way of responding to this entire discussion.

I must have missed this, where is it?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

I must have missed this, where is it?

Go to the Outlaw's Refuge in Rimmen, talk to both fences. They each have about four lines of dialogue about what race makes the better thieves.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OT: It isn't the only one "response" to forum threads either. I laughed when I went through the dialogue to get the new inn room.

That one has nothing what-so-ever to do with this discussion, but I thought it was funny, and a clever way to communicate with parts of their audience.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The problem is that after this silly racial change from Wrathstone, there's no possible debate: Khajiit and only Khajiit are the best thieves. Bosmer have not one single buff to any skill that is in any way related to thievery. So even having the debate means that the change is still lore-breaking, it even violates the lore that has come afterwards.

I am getting increasingly frustrated at both the change itself and the maladroit way it has been handled since.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on May 28, 2019 7:39PM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be careful to keep the tone of the discussion civil. Granted, it was a callous blow to lore and immersion.... but nothing constructive can come from insults.
  • Alucardmike
    Alucardmike
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be careful to keep the tone of the discussion civil. Granted, it was a callous blow to lore and immersion.... but nothing constructive can come from insults.

But the only "answer" from ZOS, was because of the insults. :|
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭

But the only "answer" from ZOS, was because of the insults. :|

The hope is that they're listening, even if they don't answer. I mentioned it before, but some insiders have told us the devs do take feedback seriously when they make decisions. We have no way of knowing, of course, but an open channel of communication is better than nothing.

Insults may provoke a response, but a person provoked might also stop listening. And that would be a shame, because we have an awful lot of things worth saying here.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fine.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Breton a better thief then any khajjit or bosmer 😎
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wPMPynu.png
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

I don't particularly want to quit, but if I have to, I will.

I don't make empty promises.

Quit both WoW and GW2, with no problems at all and will happily quit this too, if I have to.

See, this is what I don't understand. Many, many people have said this in this thread, some have actually quit and uninstalled, and virtually nobody is creating new Bosmer characters..... and a total of zero players have said stealth detection is beneficial the way it's currently set up. And we are but a fraction of the frustrated players that also fail to see the logic of this change. But they'd rather feel "right" about the decisions they made, than have happy (and paying) players.

Somebody help me understand it, because they sure aren't saying anything about it.

I canceled my subscription and uninstalled after it was clear that the devs wouldn't see reason or didn't care too. I'd been an active player or years, bought DLC, played with streamers on twitch, joined Discord groups, the works. Not a Bosmer player but was disappointing with several poor reasoned choices regarding racial balance, specifically Dunmer, Orc, the ridiculous stamina passive for Altmer but what has been done to Bosmer and the paying customers who've worked on them or years was unforgivable and my final straw.

ZOS acknowledges the criticism they receive for the heavy handed changes no one likes and their lack of communication but this was just more of the same and they have shown absolutely no inclination of altering their behavior. I've been as ES player far longer than I was an ESO player and had no trouble saving my money for the next ES game where the devs hopefully won't butcher the lore and treat their customers like Guar s'wit.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

I don't particularly want to quit, but if I have to, I will.

I don't make empty promises.

Quit both WoW and GW2, with no problems at all and will happily quit this too, if I have to.

See, this is what I don't understand. Many, many people have said this in this thread, some have actually quit and uninstalled, and virtually nobody is creating new Bosmer characters..... and a total of zero players have said stealth detection is beneficial the way it's currently set up. And we are but a fraction of the frustrated players that also fail to see the logic of this change. But they'd rather feel "right" about the decisions they made, than have happy (and paying) players.

Somebody help me understand it, because they sure aren't saying anything about it.

I canceled my subscription and uninstalled after it was clear that the devs wouldn't see reason or didn't care too. I'd been an active player or years, bought DLC, played with streamers on twitch, joined Discord groups, the works. Not a Bosmer player but was disappointing with several poor reasoned choices regarding racial balance, specifically Dunmer, Orc, the ridiculous stamina passive for Altmer but what has been done to Bosmer and the paying customers who've worked on them or years was unforgivable and my final straw.

ZOS acknowledges the criticism they receive for the heavy handed changes no one likes and their lack of communication but this was just more of the same and they have shown absolutely no inclination of altering their behavior. I've been as ES player far longer than I was an ESO player and had no trouble saving my money for the next ES game where the devs hopefully won't butcher the lore and treat their customers like Guar s'wit.

but...but...but...you got an awesome
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on May 29, 2019 2:23AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 Bosmeri. 0 points in Hunter's Eye.

7 Bosmeri. 0 points in hunter's eye. As you might recall, I don't play my Bosmeri as stealthy - but I have ZERO use for hunter's eye in any case.
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread reads like a bunch of trolling Altmer who, due to their puritanical nature, are inherently blind to their penchant for pretentiousness, ultimately giving their intentions away.

But in all seriousness, this will never be changed, no matter how long you complain. You say it's about the lore, but I don't think you've read it, because if you did you would find that the changes to Bosmer stealth make sense, especially in the way Bosmeri stealth traits contrast with Khajiiti - it matches their shared conflict well, too. It may be out of context due to the era in which it takes place but - rather than sorting through various books and notes - you can read in "A Dance with Fire" how this all fits for the most part. It fits especially well during the era in which ESO takes place, and the three banners war.

If you decide to go through all the various notes and text that are from Bosmer lore directly, or referenced by poets or travellers, there's very little mention of 'stealth' in the sense people are interpreting it. The lore that people are misinterpreting has more to do with what's called 'forest-coupling' and any reference to hiding or sneaking is about concealing one's self behind an object, usually at a great distance. The text called 'the rear guard' depicts this well - it's a great little story, too. Yes, they are good thieves, but that is attributed to their dexterity and agility, not their 'stealth' in the this thread wants it to be implemented.

I do have to thank OP, though; your post encouraged me to read all of the bosmer lore.
    Edited by ProbablePaul on May 29, 2019 4:12AM
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This thread reads like a bunch of trolling Altmer who, due to their puritanical nature, are inherently blind to their penchant for pretentiousness, ultimately giving their intentions away.

But in all seriousness, this will never be changed, no matter how long you complain. You say it's about the lore, but I don't think you've read it, because if you did you would find that the changes to Bosmer stealth make sense, especially in the way Bosmeri stealth traits contrast with Khajiiti - it matches their shared conflict well, too. It may be out of context due to the era in which it takes place but - rather than sorting through various books and notes - you can read in "A Dance with Fire" how this all fits for the most part. It fits especially well during the era in which ESO takes place, and the three banners war.

If you decide to go through all the various notes and text that are from Bosmer lore directly, or referenced by poets or travellers, there's very little mention of 'stealth' in the sense people are interpreting it. The lore that people are misinterpreting has more to do with what's called 'forest-coupling' and any reference to hiding or sneaking is about concealing one's self behind an object, usually at a great distance. The text called 'the rear guard' depicts this well - it's a great little story, too. Yes, they are thieves, but that's attributes to their dexterity and agility, which doesn't concern stealth much in the way you want it implemented.

I do have to thank OP, though; your post encouraged me to read all of the bosmer lore.

WHAT BOSMER STEALTH?

There is absolutely not the slightest shred of anything stealthy about Bosmer now. Unless you are one of those "up is just another form of down" people who wander in every now and again to spout nonsense. I guess the numerous bumps their sheogorath-inspired posts generate have some value, though.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Bosmer are tied for the least stealthiest race in the latest version of wood elf "lore." In fact, you could call them the Anti-Stealth now, as their new role is searching for stealth throughout Tamriel in a couple zones and destroying it. So, not only has their lore been eradicated, it has actually been corrupted into something totally against their core value as a race.
This discussion has been closed.