The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    The point is that most players are afraid of conflict which keeps them from PVPing. If we can end the conflict in Cyrodiil and keep it that way, more players would flock to PvP. They might even have to add more servers again.

See this thread on why most players hate PVP:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474358/hate-for-pvp#latest

"The point is that Army of the Pact "AP" players are afraid of conflict which keeps them from PVPing." -> Fixed that for you.

;)

Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

What you do prime time is to merely battle, the real war is won when the yanks are all sleeping, and that's when any "baked-in" faction lock will impact. Not prime time. That's merely a sideshow.

What happens during this time is something that neither faction locking nor faction hopping have, can, or will fix. That is a separate issue that hopefully ZOS will address by other means. As it is now you are correct, but it has been that way for the last year plus as well with faction hopping going on. It's a moot point for this conversation and another topic all together.

Faction locking makes night capping and etc easier for whichever faction had the most

It's already so easy to do right now with faction swapping that making it any easier is irrelevant. Night capping is another issue that needs another remedy. Faction hopping, faction locking, neither is the cure for Night capping. If anyone thinks one way or the other deters that they are mistaken.

Faction locking is the first step to creating a legitimate AvAvA large scale PvP atmosphere, not the last. If this is all ZOS intends to do, and I have no idea what their vision for Cyrodiil is, then in and of itself it will not accomplish much. If, however, they are trying to create one of the best AvAvA large scale PvP atmospheres in the genre then this is a great first step in that direction.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The point is that most players are afraid of conflict which keeps them from PVPing. If we can end the conflict in Cyrodiil and keep it that way, more players would flock to PvP. They might even have to add more servers again.

This is by far I think the worst thing I've read by a faction loyalist so far.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If and when we ever win in Vivec we will be going to other campaigns to win there as well. I won't be satisfied until all campaigns are under EP control.

You have a pretty toxic mindset, this isn’t fun for anyone. There was a time where I would be glad to be gated so I can farm players for ap but now I could careless and rather have multiple options and locations to fight at.

Painting a map one color just dwindles the pop, this mindset is what introduced buff campaigns. You don’t want competition, it sounds like you want to steamroll a map with pseudo alliance pride.

• Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭

I hope I'm wrong but that's where I see it going at this point.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I hope I'm wrong but that's where I see it going at this point.

There wont be PVP if that's happens though.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If your not fighting other players, then it's not "player vs player". Smh
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What you do prime time is to merely battle, the real war is won when the yanks are all sleeping, and that's when any "baked-in" faction lock will impact. Not prime time. That's merely a sideshow.

What happens during this time is something that neither faction locking nor faction hopping have, can, or will fix. That is a separate issue that hopefully ZOS will address by other means. As it is now you are correct, but it has been that way for the last year plus as well with faction hopping going on. It's a moot point for this conversation and another topic all together.

You haven't thought this through.

It's not, because that's when faction locking will impact the most, and any population imbalance will be irreversible for min. 30 days.

Edited by Mr_Walker on May 18, 2019 10:58PM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not, because that's when faction locking will impact the most, and any population imbalance will be irreversible for min. 30 days.

And what kind of population imbalance have we had for the last 2 years or whatever it's been during this time of day with the ability in place to faction swap? People have proven for far too long that given the chance to swap and balance populations they won't. AP comes much easier all teaming up on one faction and breaking down doors so this is what the majority does. People have had the opportunity to balance things out on their own and have refused to do so. Faction swapping does not achieve balance, and during the second half of a campaign it actually makes it worse. As the losing factions become deemed unwinnable the faction hoppers from those factions start piling on even more to the winning faction.

There are many things wrong with the scoring system and how AP is gained that get magnified during lower population time frames, but those issues are issues unto themselves. They need to be looked at on their own. Maybe with faction locks the underdog bonus, and low population bonus may actually come more into play. That will have to be watched as well. Guilds may also after 3 or 4 cycles of being bored not fighting anyone decide to swap factions for 30 days as well. Faction locking may encourage more large scale swapping at the end of campaigns vs relying on micro-sized small scale swapping throughout a single campaign. We will know soon enough.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And what kind of population imbalance have we had for the last 2 years or whatever it's been during this time of day with the ability in place to faction swap? People have proven for far too long that given the chance to swap and balance populations they won't. AP comes much easier all teaming up on one faction and breaking down doors so this is what the majority does. People have had the opportunity to balance things out on their own and have refused to do so. Faction swapping does not achieve balance, and during the second half of a campaign it actually makes it worse. As the losing factions become deemed unwinnable the faction hoppers from those factions start piling on even more to the winning faction.

There are many things wrong with the scoring system and how AP is gained that get magnified during lower population time frames, but those issues are issues unto themselves. They need to be looked at on their own. Maybe with faction locks the underdog bonus, and low population bonus may actually come more into play. That will have to be watched as well. Guilds may also after 3 or 4 cycles of being bored not fighting anyone decide to swap factions for 30 days as well. Faction locking may encourage more large scale swapping at the end of campaigns vs relying on micro-sized small scale swapping throughout a single campaign. We will know soon enough.

A lot of "maybes" and "may also" in there. Your response tells me you're another one who doesn't understand the problem.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have to let it happen with them locking what they lock, then give feedback after... did they lock the wrong ones? (Maybe/prob yes)? These devs do what they want and only fix things reactively after and only if it’s become an issue that they think warrants their attention.

Faction lock advocates like myself wanted a new short 7-day faction locked campaign... Devs chose to lock both of the main 30-day campaigns, but NOT any short ones without any comment. It’s it’s not right.. Speak out vocally!!!

Edited by Enkil on May 20, 2019 8:16AM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's not PVP, hon. There are dozens of non-pvp regions for people who don't like pvp to explore in comfort and safety.

• MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glory wrote: »
    Miriel wrote: »
    Miriel wrote: »
    If anything, this is clearly just making more players bitter about the state of PvP and will result in more perceived griefing...

The "known faction hopper" generally play EP, wouldn't they still be able to do this anyway?

Not as easilly, they will have to change campaigns at end of them, every 30 days... or grind up a entire new account, get hundreds of cps, find all those sets etc,get all skill popints, unless they go and buy a account, wich would then jepordice their account etc...

ANd have all their friends willing to do this, in a ageing MMO... its alot of work, i honestly dont see it, unless for the most die hard trolololo

Sorry to burst your bubble:
    • It's both wildly easy and cheap to create a second account and get it to level 10. From there, it would be equally as easy to 1) buy oils/whatever; 2) send them to your alt account; 3) use those to do what people are complaining about. You literally only have to be level 10 to do things like this (see the level 30 NBs chaining people off bridges)
    • People are being toxic towards faction swappers (for years). When someone on EP is toxic towards a person who plays EP and DC, these faction locks will either result in a) that multi-faction player to go DC, thus weakening the EP claim that they're so driven to accomplishing; or b) that multi-faction player goes to EP, remembers the toxic faction loyalist, and encounters disincentives to help said EP loyalist, thus weakening EP claims.

This is already seen: in this thread loyalists are calling out multi-faction players for refusing to help them achieve their faction goals. Why would these players want to help someone who is clearly harboring animosity towards them?

I guess im wrong then, and there is no problems, peopel can still faction hop easilly... then whys the fuss ?

Because your argument is that it'll stop griefing, and in reality my point shows that all it will do is stop real PvP while still allowing griefing easily.

Exactly. Faction lock does nothing to stop people who like to grief from griefing, but it does make finding good fights more difficult and playing with your friends more difficult / impossible and so makes ESO PvP much less attractive for many players.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still haven´t stepped into pvp since patch bc i genuinely can´t decide which half of my chars i want to play.

Atm it looks like i´m rather going to unsub than making this decision bc it´s the only way how i can show zos how much i disagree with their decision.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Atm it looks like i´m rather going to unsub than making this decision bc it´s the only way how i can show zos how much i disagree with their decision.
    I am OK with that. People who disagree with faction lock don't understand the game anyway.
    Lethal zergling
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am OK with that. People who disagree with faction lock don't understand the game anyway.

Really? Because every good player I’ve talked to is against faction lock.

And by good I mean good at PvP: either capable of winning even sided fights, capable of fighting outnumbered, participating in high MMR BGs, competitive at dueling, 1vXers, or good at organized large scale (ball groups).

All that’s left are zerg surfers and casuals - neither of which have any impact on the outcome of the alliance war.

Well I take that back. AotP has a significant impact on the alliance war and they’re faction loyalists.
    Edited by Thogard on May 27, 2019 12:40AM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    And by good I mean good at PvP: either capable of winning even sided fights, capable of fighting outnumbered, participating in high MMR BGs, competitive at dueling, 1vXers, or good at organized large scale (ball groups)..
    Sounds like a bunch of people who have zero idea what this game is about. Cyrodiil is not a "PvP' zone. It is an Alliance War zone. We're better off without them.
    Lethal zergling
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Rolls eyes*
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And by good I mean good at PvP: either capable of winning even sided fights, capable of fighting outnumbered, participating in high MMR BGs, competitive at dueling, 1vXers, or good at organized large scale (ball groups)..
    Sounds like a bunch of people who have zero idea what this game is about. Cyrodiil is not a "PvP' zone. It is an Alliance War zone. We're better off without them.

Yeah, Cyrodiil is a better place without pvpers, I agree 100%. Those doors won’t see it coming.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Cyrodiil is a better place without pvpers, I agree 100%.
    Good. Let's fill it with people who understand that Cyrodiil is an AvA zone.

Lethal zergling
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Cyrodiil is a better place without pvpers, I agree 100%.
    Good. Let's fill it with people who understand that Cyrodiil is an AvA zone.

See, that’s the spirit, but without enemy players we’re still gonna need some kind of challenge in Cyrodiil. I propose that we introduce special guards with huge health pools that require group coordination to kill, these “boss guards” could even award special loot for killing them.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, that’s the spirit, but without enemy players we’re still gonna need some kind of challenge in Cyrodiil.
    Who said anything about not having any enemy players? AvA includes PvP.

Lethal zergling
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, that’s the spirit, but without enemy players we’re still gonna need some kind of challenge in Cyrodiil.
    Who said anything about not having any enemy players? AvA includes PvP.

Oh I get it! So the different enemy players will take turns killing these boss keep guards, and whoever does it fastest will win the most points and win the AvA. If someone dies we should subtract points. We could even have a leaderboard to show who flipped keeps and killed the mobs inside the fastest. Maybe award skins for doing it on hard mode? Idk, still working on this revolutionary idea.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And by good I mean good at PvP: either capable of winning even sided fights, capable of fighting outnumbered, participating in high MMR BGs, competitive at dueling, 1vXers, or good at organized large scale (ball groups).

All that’s left are zerg surfers and casuals - neither of which have any impact on the outcome of the alliance war.

Well I take that back. AotP has a significant impact on the alliance war and they’re faction loyalists.

This one thinks that a sample size bigger than one's fingers is required before determining what is and isn't good for thousand s of people.

That is if us 'mere mortals' are allowed to have an opinion which does not echo as nicely within your ears.

Personally the majority of so called 'good' players that this one meets are very very quick to run off to whatever side gives them the chance for easy AP.

In fact this one can think of only three guilds whomever didn't do that whil squealing about how 'skilled' they were. The last of them went on hiatus after the closure of the last vivec campaign. They smply got tired of the scrubs resorting to the very kind of loathsome tactics faction lock has put a damper on.

This one also encountered folks from a guild that likes to claim to be 'good' today. However those 'good' players were huddling in the middle of a fifteen man pile that took a bit of time to wipe out a mere five man PUG.

Which also means they made a conscious choice to join up with the side that's been very honest in its decision to destroy all the campaigns....

Gotta love those fair weather PVPers eh?
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel wrote: »

This one thinks that a sample size bigger than one's fingers is required before determining what is and isn't good for thousand s of people.

That is if us 'mere mortals' are allowed to have an opinion which does not echo as nicely within your ears.

Personally the majority of so called 'good' players that this one meets are very very quick to run off to whatever side gives them the chance for easy AP.

In fact this one can think of only three guilds whomever didn't do that whil squealing about how 'skilled' they were. The last of them went on hiatus after the closure of the last vivec campaign. They smply got tired of the scrubs resorting to the very kind of loathsome tactics faction lock has put a damper on.

This one also encountered folks from a guild that likes to claim to be 'good' today. However those 'good' players were huddling in the middle of a fifteen man pile that took a bit of time to wipe out a mere five man PUG.

Which also means they made a conscious choice to join up with the side that's been very honest in its decision to destroy all the campaigns....

If by “fair weather” you mean playing the underpopulated faction, then yes?

Telel you never cease to disappoint. My favorite thing about your stream is that I don’t have to wonder if you’re playing a character.. you actually believe the things you say and type out.

• Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Telel you never cease to disappoint. My favorite thing about your stream is that I don’t have to wonder if you’re playing a character.. you actually believe the things you say and type out.

The best bit I love about Telel is that he thinks a disorganised social guild of players from 3 factions are this big Illuminati controlling the ebb and flow of pvp. He's been munching on too much skooma.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

The best bit I love about Telel is that he thinks a disorganised social guild of players from 3 factions are this big Illuminati controlling the ebb and flow of pvp. He's been munching on too much skooma.

Man we're too effing lazy to do all that LOL
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't tell Fairly, he'll go mad with power!
  • bmesi
    bmesi
    ✭✭✭
    TELEL IN 2019 LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • Fairweather91
    Fairweather91
    ✭✭

Don't tell Fairly, he'll go mad with power!

I'm too busy staring at Tony the Tiger in Rimmen to pvp atm.
    ~Fairly~

DC/EP/AD

Fair Weather Friends