Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have to laugh how some "faction loyalists" think they're better people and superior gamers, whereas "faction hoppers" have done nothing but grief. Of the all the most disgusting, banable, hateful tells I have ever got playing this game, 90% of them were from diehard "faction loyalists."
    So, you think harsh language is somehow more reprehensible than actual cheating?

And another lock opponent flames himself out.

Yes, I think messaging someone homophobic slurs and to get cancer and die is worse than telling their AD friends that EP is heading for the Alessia front door. A lot more. It's not even a contest.

Also "faction loyalists" cheat. Keep deluding yourself that you belong to a group of better people if that makes you feel better about yourself or something..

• bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think messaging someone homophobic slurs and to get cancer and die is worse than telling their AD friends that EP is heading for the Alessia front door. A lot more. It's not even a contest.
    Even picking the most egregious example of insults and the most innocuous example of cheating STILL doesn't win you the point. If you consider words to be more of an affront than actions, then you have some growing up to do. Sticks and stones...

Lethal zergling
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just have to laugh how some "faction loyalists" think they're better people and superior gamers, whereas "faction hoppers" have done nothing but grief. Of the all the most disgusting, banable, hateful tells I have ever got playing this game, 90% of them were from diehard "faction loyalists."
    So, you think harsh language is somehow more reprehensible than actual cheating?

And another lock opponent flames himself out.

Also "faction loyalists" cheat. Keep deluding yourself that you belong to a group of better people if that makes you feel better about yourself or something..

And you will still be able to play on a server with faction hopping... And we can play on a server where you dont have it...
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Even picking the most egregious example of insults and the most innocuous example of cheating STILL doesn't win you the point. If you consider words to be more of an affront than actions, then you have some growing up to do. Sticks and stones...

I had a response, but I'll just say wow.
    Edited by Glory on May 15, 2019 12:39AM
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    God bless you for trying, Joy. They’ll never listen to reason.

If they did, they wouldn’t prioritize their tinfoil hat theories as harder evidence than testimony from someone who literally speaks to the devs in person as a matter of routine.

Tells me all I need to know about who is reasonable and who is a moron.
    Edited by pzschrek on May 15, 2019 1:14AM
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    As people keep saying, and as other people keep not listening, outside of prime time, on Xbox, every other campaign is dead.
    Yes, people keep SAYING this, but no one actually has anything to back that claim up.

Back what claim up? That outside of primetime every other campaign than Vivec is dead? How many people have to tell you?
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how the lock affects faction population levels in Vivec, if at all. It's very possible that one faction would be sacrificed to the other two factions and absorbed completely. This could spell the end of The Three Banners War and we may see a dominant faction emerge like when the game first released with locks in place.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 15, 2019 2:32AM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the lock affects faction population levels in Vivec, if at all. It's very possible that one faction would be sacrificed to the other two factions and absorbed completely. This could spell the end of The Three Banners War and we may see a dominant faction emerge like when the game first released with locks in place.

And that would be terrible for pvp mate. Just terrible.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    We will see what happens, it probably take alittle time, but im fairly certain that we will find the right balance, as the campaigns gets played out, just like it did along time ago...

Whats utterly and totally terrible is the faction hopping thats been a total disaster for pvp, in my opinion... being able to log out, and change sides in matter of minutes is probably the most stupid of stupid choises ever made in the history of competition...

I can see it before me in dota, one side is loosing, so they leave their side and yoin the winning side, so they can get the loot, yes thats so brilliantly stupid !
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get faction swap tokens?
    Crown item listed next to race/name change.
    I’d like to move some characters over to the one faction I’ll be forced to stay in if I want to pvp viv/sotha.

• Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »

Shows the mentality of those in favor of the lock that they seem to think there's a way to "win" a perpetual online war that's designed to have no ending.

All things being equal, there should be an even(ish) chance of any faction winning a particular month.

As much as it amuses the everloving heck out of me to see DC buried in last place month to month on a micro level, on a macro level it is fairly damaging to the game. DC population is already fairly depressed on Vivec while they run rampant on Sotha.

That makes it so people who are not DC don't want to play on Sotha, while DC doesn't want to play on Vivec. Exacerbating that so that one faction is in near constant control leads to server death like what happened to Trueflame back in the height of the Havoc days when red was utterly dominant.

In other games, like Shadowbane, they would have to shut down whole server shards when one faction overwhelmed the others as no one, not even the "winners" would play on that server as there was nothing to do.

The fight needs to remain even, and each faction needs to have a real chance of winning to retain the drive to actually compete.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back what claim up? That outside of primetime every other campaign than Vivec is dead? How many people have to tell you?
    Considering the few people who have been saying this have otherwise been full of baloney, you will forgive me if I don't accept their word for it. How about a screenshot of the population levels proving it?
    Lethal zergling
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the few people who have been saying this have otherwise been full of baloney, you will forgive me if I don't accept their word for it. How about a screenshot of the population levels proving it?

Multiple people have done this and I did it yesterday, you ignored it because you don’t care about facts.

• Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Elong wrote: »

Shows the mentality of those in favor of the lock that they seem to think there's a way to "win" a perpetual online war that's designed to have no ending.

All things being equal, there should be an even(ish) chance of any faction winning a particular month.

As much as it amuses the everloving heck out of me to see DC buried in last place month to month on a micro level, on a macro level it is fairly damaging to the game. DC population is already fairly depressed on Vivec while they run rampant on Sotha.

That makes it so people who are not DC don't want to play on Sotha, while DC doesn't want to play on Vivec. Exacerbating that so that one faction is in near constant control leads to server death like what happened to Trueflame back in the height of the Havoc days when red was utterly dominant.

In other games, like Shadowbane, they would have to shut down whole server shards when one faction overwhelmed the others as no one, not even the "winners" would play on that server as there was nothing to do.

The fight needs to remain even, and each faction needs to have a real chance of winning to retain the drive to actually compete.

I'm sure you and many others remember how many PvP servers we used to have. Now we have 2. Don't even have to look at other games to understand how imbalance has destroyed servers.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The faction lock argument proves this repeatedly.

The argument is always:

"
    Miriel wrote: »

being able to log out, and change sides in matter of minutes is probably the most stupid of stupid choises ever made in the history of competition...

Literally, the only way to be able to log out and log back into a different faction in minutes is if the population is below the caps. Because if you are Pop Capped, the wait time could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour+ to just swap.

So yeah, the campaigns are dead if you are just faction swapping willy nilly at the drop of a hat.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last night in Vivec on PC NA a certain well-know faction hopper and his group put down friendly attacker oils on the ground at the last Emperor keep to prevent a friend in my guild from becoming Emperor right before the campaign was reset. The only reason they would do such a thing is so that EP would not have Emperor when they relog into one of the other factions after the reset. Faction locks would prevent this from happening in the first place and I for one can't wait for them to be implemented next month.

Faction locks put aside, I will have to agree with you on this one. This has happened to me on several occasions and we sent massive amount of reports and clips of the offenders to ZOS. Don't hesitate to do the same. The more reports and the more chances ZOS will take it seriously and ban the offenders. This is simply unacceptable and childish, whoever the person is.
    Edited by frozywozy on May 15, 2019 8:33PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Dutchessx
    Dutchessx
    ✭✭✭✭

I don’t know about that @Agrippa_Invisus over the past 2 -3 cycles, I log in after work and see a red map. It seems only recently that the DC population is rebounding on Sotha. There were many nights I would log in & there would be nothing to do on EP unless I wanted to zerg down those in other factions trying to take a resource or a tri-keep.
    Edited by Dutchessx on May 15, 2019 8:32PM
    Former Guild Leader Darkest Requiem
    Dutchessx - Sorcerer - EP NA
    Dütchess - Templar - DC NA
    Dutchess of Lost Souls - DC NA
    The Dark Dutchess- Sorcerer - DC NA
    Ðutchess - Templar - DC NA
    Always beware the sound of hooves in the night
    Remember Haderus
    Remember Azura's Star
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Literally, the only way to be able to log out and log back into a different faction in minutes is if the population is below the caps...So yeah, the campaigns are dead if you are just faction swapping willy nilly at the drop of a hat.
    Are you seriously telling me that you math goes CAP -1 = "DEAD"? Once again, the mentality of those opposed to faction lock shines through.

Lethal zergling
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's make just one new campaign that is faction locked and in all other ways is exactly the same as the most popular server, but not remove the current most popular server, this way those people who complain about faction lock can now go play on a server that has it.

Response: "I won't play on that new faction lock server because no one plays on it, they're all still in the old one"

This is because people don't want faction lock....

BAHAHA!
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    Let's make just one new campaign that is faction locked and in all other ways is exactly the same as the most popular server, but not remove the current most popular server, this way those people who complain about faction lock can now go play on a server that has it.

Response: "I won't play on that new faction lock server because no one plays on it, they're all still in the old one"

BAHAHA!

Thats up to ZOS, they should have the numbers...
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »

BAHAHA!

Sorry, does not work like that. The factionless needs the faction loyal to find their 'good' fights... So they would just have too follow =/
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you want me to do work for you, I'll need to send you an invoice. Or you could stay up late and see it for yourself. Or you could ask any of the OCE XNA players.

I was with an 8-10 man group on XNA Sotha a few months back that painted the map in about 3 hours. The miracle of that? That there were 8-10 players on....

You can choose to deny it all you like. Reality doesn't change.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want me to do work for you, I'll need to send you an invoice. Or you could stay up late and see it for yourself. Or you could ask any of the OCE XNA players.
    There is a difference between "outside prime time" and the dead of night for the timezone of the server. It is absurd to plan capacity based around the absolute lowest population time on the server. But nice try. You guys are really grasping at straws now.

Lethal zergling
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

I was with an 8-10 man group on XNA Sotha a few months back that painted the map in about 3 hours. The miracle of that? That there were 8-10 players on....

You can choose to deny it all you like. Reality doesn't change.

The loss of players have happened while we had faction hoppers, that is a undeniable fact...

Now as i said several times, if you dont want to play with faction locks you have that option, as off your post, you seem to enjoy going and flipping empty servers as is...
    Edited by Miriel on May 16, 2019 4:10AM
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    Last night in Vivec on PC NA a certain well-know faction hopper and his group put down friendly attacker oils on the ground at the last Emperor keep to prevent a friend in my guild from becoming Emperor right before the campaign was reset. The only reason they would do such a thing is so that EP would not have Emperor when they relog into one of the other factions after the reset. Faction locks would prevent this from happening in the first place and I for one can't wait for them to be implemented next month.

Faction locks put aside, I will have to agree with you on this one. This has happened to me on several occasions and we sent massive amount of reports and clips of the offenders to ZOS. Don't hesitate to do the same. The more reports and the more chances ZOS will take it seriously and ban the offenders. This is simply unacceptable and childish, whoever the person is.

Frozen, you know just as well as anyone that kind of stuff happened with factions locks in place as well.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dutchessx wrote: »

I don’t know about that @Agrippa_Invisus over the past 2 -3 cycles, I log in after work and see a red map. It seems only recently that the DC population is rebounding on Sotha. There were many nights I would log in & there would be nothing to do on EP unless I wanted to zerg down those in other factions trying to take a resource or a tri-keep.
    I think it’s rebounding in sotha due to the larger AD/EP forces in Vivec. I see this becoming a larger problem in Vivec when locks come into place. I don’t think DC will have the numbers to compete over the course of the 30 day.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »
    frozywozy wrote: »

Frozen, you know just as well as anyone that kind of stuff happened with factions locks in place as well.

this is exactly why I started my sentence saying "Faction locks put aside".
    I guess I should have said put apart maybe? Language barrier. x.x
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night a well-known AD character logged into his EP character and used Frozen Retreat to pull EP players off Alessia Bridge that were using synergies. It's not the first time I've seen players do this. This is yet another example of why we need faction locks.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 3:11PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Literally, the only way to be able to log out and log back into a different faction in minutes is if the population is below the caps...So yeah, the campaigns are dead if you are just faction swapping willy nilly at the drop of a hat.
    Are you seriously telling me that you math goes CAP -1 = "DEAD"? Once again, the mentality of those opposed to faction lock shines through.

Yes, I would say if the campaign you are playing in is never pop-capped and people are able to swap at will (which is what pro-lock people seem to be parroting), the campaign is dead, or, at the least, unhealthy because not enough people are around to fill the server. Faction locks are only going to work to drive that population count down, but I guess you will all get your PVDoor and PVGate dreams fulfilled.

You can challenge my mentality all you want, but I'll rest easy knowing that I don't make up mass conspiracy to get my way in a video game.