The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling the population will decrease too but that remains to be seen. I'm willing to accept that consequence in exchange for locks though.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Yes, I would say if the campaign you are playing in is never pop-capped and people are able to swap at will (which is what pro-lock people seem to be parroting), the campaign is dead, or, at the least, unhealthy because not enough people are around to fill the server.
    I can't even begin to address the lunacy of this statement, but I'll try.

Firstly, what you are saying is not what is being claimed. The person is complaining about the population levels outside of prime time. He never said they are never full. Secondly, the idea that something is either full, or else it is "dead" is just absurd. If you walk into a movie theatre, restaurant or a sports arena, and there are two seats free (in the slowest part of the day, yet) would you say that business is "dead"?

Futhermore, if you plan capacity so that things are full during the slowest hours, then during the prime hours you will be turning people away.

Let me give you some advice - don't start a business.
    Lethal zergling
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would say if the campaign you are playing in is never pop-capped and people are able to swap at will (which is what pro-lock people seem to be parroting), the campaign is dead, or, at the least, unhealthy because not enough people are around to fill the server.

Firstly, what you are saying is not what is being claimed. The person is complaining about the population levels outside of prime time. He never said they are never full. Secondly, the idea that something is either full, or else it is "dead" is just absurd. If you walk into a movie theatre, restaurant or a sports arena, and there are two seats free (in the slowest part of the day, yet) would you say that business is "dead"?

Futhermore, if you plan capacity so that things are full during the slowest hours, then during the prime hours you will be turning people away.

The entire point of this whole thread is faction locking. My statement is in regards to faction locking. Faction lockers are claiming that people are swapping factions at will. That is literally the argument for faction locking, people are "cheating" because they aren't roleplaying a particular faction and playing by the "rules" implemented by a specific segment of the community. My point is, this flipping back and forth cannot happen in pop-locked campaigns. You are trying to make this more than it is by nitpicking at my word choices, rather than actually disproving my point.

But, if you want to follow your own advice, faction hopping can only happen outside of primetime. Right? Since that is the time that the campaigns are not pop-locked according to your comment here. So, if that is the case, and following your own advice about not planning capacity around the slowest hours, maybe we shouldn't be planning faction locks around underpopulated hours....

If you would take the time to actually provide an argument rather than attacking my mentality, you would probably get somewhere in this argument.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

The entire point of this whole thread is faction locking. My statement is in regards to faction locking. Faction lockers are claiming that people are swapping factions at will. That is literally the argument for faction locking, people are "cheating" because they aren't roleplaying a particular faction and playing by the "rules" implemented by a specific segment of the community. My point is, this flipping back and forth cannot happen in pop-locked campaigns. You are trying to make this more than it is by nitpicking at my word choices, rather than actually disproving my point.

But, if you want to follow your own advice, faction hopping can only happen outside of primetime. Right? Since that is the time that the campaigns are not pop-locked according to your comment here. So, if that is the case, and following your own advice about not planning capacity around the slowest hours, maybe we shouldn't be planning faction locks around underpopulated hours....

If you would take the time to actually provide an argument rather than attacking my mentality, you would probably get somewhere in this argument.

I and alot more people want faction locks, ZOS is adding this feature, like it was in the beginning... Now they also have campaigns that dosent have faction locks... Here is what i think this fuzz is about, you guys that dont want faction locks realice there wont be people playing on servers without faction locks, simply couse people never wanted to... so now you guys try to force your way of playing on the wast majority...

Again people will have both options to play as they like, but keep forcing people to play with feature they dont like will just keep resulting in more and more people leaving pvp
    Edited by Miriel on May 16, 2019 4:12PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »

I and alot more people want faction locks, ZOS is adding this feature, like it was in the beginning... Now they also have campaigns that dosent have faction locks... Here is what i think this fuzz is about, you guys that dont want faction locks realice there wont be people playing on servers without faction locks, simply couse people never wanted to... so now you guys try to force your way of playing on the wast majority...

Again people will have both options to play as they like, but keep forcing people to play with feature they dont like will just keep resulting in more and more people leaving pvp

Actually, myself and others who oppose this realize that the current campaigns are already unhealthy enough as it is population wise. And further dividing the PVP population for roleplaying is just going to make it worse. It's great that Vivec is pop-locked at primetime on live now. Once this all goes live, I would be shocked if a campaign is ever pop-locked again, outside of PVP specific events. You may like to gate camp opposing factions and call it "winning" the campaign, I personally prefer to actually PVP in a PVP zone.
    Edited by jaws343 on May 16, 2019 4:18PM
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I strive for the day I can use PvE sets and skills in Cyrodiil to PvDoor keeps and take the whole map morning, afternoon, and night.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 4:28PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is literally the argument for faction locking, people are "cheating" because they aren't roleplaying a particular faction and playing by the "rules" implemented by a specific segment of the community.
    Wow. You completely miss the point of the argument in favor of faction locking, and the reason why it is being implemented. This is not any kind of roleplay or philosophical consideration.

People are cheating by logging in to "alts" on other factions and acting AGAINST THE INTEREST of those factions in order to help their "main" faction to win.

This is quite simply poor game design, and is not defensible on its face. You should not be able to play all sides of a campaign in the interests of advancing only one faction. This is not allowed in any real life competition based on fair play, why did it suddenly become exempt in ESO? This change is fixing a historic wrong.
    Lethal zergling
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you could PK other players it wouldn't be an issue, but you can't, so it is. Consequently, it's why people get reported for griefing as you can't just murder them.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 4:44PM
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahtu wrote: »
    I have a feeling the population will decrease too but that remains to be seen. I'm willing to accept that consequence in exchange for locks though.

What you want is an entire map red and a 20k alliance war victory. You don’t want a challenge....you want easy routes that’s why you do what your guild does.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, myself and others who oppose this realize that the current campaigns are already unhealthy enough as it is population wise. And further dividing the PVP population for roleplaying is just going to make it worse. It's great that Vivec is pop-locked at primetime on live now. Once this all goes live, I would be shocked if a campaign is ever pop-locked again, outside of PVP specific events. You may like to gate camp opposing factions and call it "winning" the campaign, I personally prefer to actually PVP in a PVP zone.

Vivec will remain pop locked and people will sit in long queues because it’s the main campaign. It’s the way it was when faction locks existed prior and all other campaigns were dead or dedicated to a certain faction.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haashhtaag wrote: »

What you want is an entire map red and a 20k alliance war victory. You don’t want a challenge....you want easy routes that’s why you do what your guild does.

What I want is to win, by any means necessary. If that means blowing my competition out of the water, then so be it. It's up to my opponents to challenge me, and I welcome them to do so.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 4:47PM
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I want is to win, by any means necessary. If that means blowing my competition out of the water, then so be it. It's up to my opponents to challenge me, and I welcome them to do so.

What’s the point of winning without competition....you millinials are the downfall of America.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to see 100 EP at Castle Brindle and RP in the churches and priories there, if you really want to know.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 5:36PM
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Again, thats not a reason to force players, that absolutly dont want to fight with faction hoppers... we are and have been loosing players couse of faction hoppers, iwe been considering to leave myself, only reason i resubbed is couse of faction lock...

So again, alow me to play as i want, then you can play on your camapign as you want, i dont care...

and this is the problem you say your entitle to your way of playing, without any regard to what others want... Thats like saying, i want to pvp, but there is not enough pvpers, so lets force all pvers, do you know how well that will end ?

Again, we dont want to play with faction hopppers, get it ?
    Edited by Miriel on May 16, 2019 7:40PM
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

What’s the point of winning without competition....you millinials are the downfall of America.

yes whats the point in winning unless you fight for something ?
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

Vivec will remain pop locked and people will sit in long queues because it’s the main campaign. It’s the way it was when faction locks existed prior and all other campaigns were dead or dedicated to a certain faction.

no one forces you to play on a server with pop lock, take all those imaginary people that want faction hopping and play on a campaign that isnt faction locked, oh right, there is bascially no one that want to play that way...
    Edited by Miriel on May 16, 2019 7:43PM
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭

The point is to make it known that EP is undisputedly the best, most dominant faction in the game.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 16, 2019 7:50PM
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭

The point is to make it known that EP is undisputedly the best faction.

hehe, i dont agree, iwe been AD since beta, so... while i repsect alot of ep, i have to say no... AD is offcourse the best faction... glory to the Queen !
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if faction locks attracted more PvE players to Cyrodiil?
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The point is to make it known that EP is undisputedly the best, most dominant faction in the game.

I always thought the point was to have fun. Go figure.

You'd better encourage all your "off peak" friends to choose EP then. What you do prime time is to merely battle, the real war is won when the yanks are all sleeping, and that's when any "baked-in" faction lock will impact. Not prime time. That's merely a sideshow.
    Edited by Mr_Walker on May 17, 2019 2:53AM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

What you do prime time is to merely battle, the real war is won when the yanks are all sleeping, and that's when any "baked-in" faction lock will impact. Not prime time. That's merely a sideshow.

What happens during this time is something that neither faction locking nor faction hopping have, can, or will fix. That is a separate issue that hopefully ZOS will address by other means. As it is now you are correct, but it has been that way for the last year plus as well with faction hopping going on. It's a moot point for this conversation and another topic all together.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no one forces you to play on a server with pop lock, take all those imaginary people that want faction hopping and play on a campaign that isnt faction locked, oh right, there is bascially no one that want to play that way...

Yeah just let me go to shor and not fight anything. Sounds logical.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most players in off hours doesn’t meant best.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

What you do prime time is to merely battle, the real war is won when the yanks are all sleeping, and that's when any "baked-in" faction lock will impact. Not prime time. That's merely a sideshow.

What happens during this time is something that neither faction locking nor faction hopping have, can, or will fix. That is a separate issue that hopefully ZOS will address by other means. As it is now you are correct, but it has been that way for the last year plus as well with faction hopping going on. It's a moot point for this conversation and another topic all together.

Faction locking makes night capping and etc easier for whichever faction had the most
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only this game were made by developers that were able to articulate their vision for Cyrodiil clearly. Then we wouldn't have to constantly bicker about how the game is supposed to be.
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if faction locks actually increased population in Vivec, attracting PvE players who would not otherwise enter Cyrodiil? If you think about it, if one faction dominatesn then PvE players could be drawn to that faction to PvDoor keeps, creating an overflow of players to the non-faction locked campaigns? The argument that other servers are dead could be null if we see increased populations after faction locks are in place.

Also, the defeated faction's player base might migrate to other campaigns.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 17, 2019 2:41PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if faction locks actually increased population in Vivec, attracting PvE players who would not otherwise enter Cyrodiil? If you think about it, if one faction dominatesn then PvE players could be drawn to that faction to PvDoor keeps, creating an overflow of players to the non-faction locked campaigns? The argument that other servers are dead could be null if we see increased populations after faction locks are in place.

Also, the defeated faction's player base might migrate to other campaigns.

You see... we've been here before. They do migrate to other campaigns, but not to fight. We used to have campaigns that were yellow, blue or red. Other than a few masochists who like fighting against odds massively stacked against them, those campaigns were dead of actual PVP.

You aren't the first wannabe zerglord that has had a goal of killing a campaign by making it permanently one color. Some have succeeded, and then they get bored and their guild disintegrates for lack of anything to do when the excitement for the night is, "Quick! Some PVE'er trying to get caltrops just flipped a resource!"
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    If and when we ever win in Vivec we will be going to other campaigns to win there as well. I won't be satisfied until all campaigns are under EP control.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 17, 2019 3:14PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we ever win in Vivec we will be going to other campaigns to win there as well. I wont be satisfied until all campaigns are under EP control.
    Well, I don't think you will EVER win in Vivec. Isn't this the last round?
    Lethal zergling
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭
    The point is that most players are afraid of conflict which keeps them from PVPing. If we can end the conflict in Cyrodiil and keep it that way, more players would flock to PvP. They might even have to add more servers again.

See this thread on why most players hate PVP:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474358/hate-for-pvp#latest
    Edited by Ahtu on May 17, 2019 3:29PM