The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Boss Camping Has To Be Dealt With

• Brockxz
    Brockxz
    ✭✭
    Actually just cancelled my account and I will be actively campaigning for people to not play this game now, until they reverse this policy.
    Good. I'm not against legit farming but those boss farmers are not legit if they ruin experience for majority gamers. My last 3 public instance dungeons were really disappointing only because of those boss farmers. I get credit for killing and completing dungeon for no reason at all only just for being next to those AOE farmers. I didn't got even to loot anything because there was pile of dead bosses and I don't think I got even chance to hit anything. Of course I just moved on because there was no point of me staying and trying actually kill boss because it dies in a instance it spawns.
    So I'm kind of glad you cancel your account because from what I see you support those boss farmers and most likely you are one of them.
    I don't think there is a lot of those people who do that kind of farming and Zenimax have to do something about them. They just can't support small amount % people who ruin gameplay experience for the rest of them.
    Edited by Brockxz on April 10, 2014 9:13AM
  • OFC_it
    OFC_it
    ✭✭
    I took some screenshots tonight of boss campers. Ban them.
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    OFC_it wrote: »
    I took some screenshots tonight of boss campers. Ban them.

Send in a support ticket or report them individually, it is time consuming but unfortunately we have few options to deal with this type of behavior.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know how you read it. But it's standard mmo boiler plate. I'm saying if they interpret normal farming to be griefing behavior as you think they do. It is cause to abandon this company.
    I would have to agree with this, if ZOS don't want people farming they have to handle it on mechanics levels not with bans.
    Especially because other than a few supposed emails from ZOS there is nothing posted anywhere on these forums, on the website or in the game saying farming is a banable offence. If they want to ban people (legit players) for farming ever it needs to state very clearly somewhere where every single player will see it.

MMOs have been farmed since they started it's part of the MMO game style, even raids are farmed you're just alone when you do it.
    The public bosses are an issue for people completing them/quests but TBH a better fix than nerfing drops would be to make a single hit on that boss count towards completion or just being in the area.

OP your idea sounds great now but as others have stated farmers will just move on to other areas and be in your way, if you want to have awesome boss fights play the closed instanced dungeons as these are far more rewarding for both tactics and usable gear.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I know how you read it. But it's standard mmo boiler plate. I'm saying if they interpret normal farming to be griefing behavior as you think they do. It is cause to abandon this company.
    I would have to agree with this, if ZOS don't want people farming they have to handle it on mechanics levels not with bans.
    Especially because other than a few supposed emails from ZOS there is nothing posted anywhere on these forums, on the website or in the game saying farming is a banable offence. If they want to ban people (legit players) for farming ever it needs to state very clearly somewhere where every single player will see it.

MMOs have been farmed since they started it's part of the MMO game style, even raids are farmed you're just alone when you do it.
    The public bosses are an issue for people completing them/quests but TBH a better fix than nerfing drops would be to make a single hit on that boss count towards completion or just being in the area.

OP your idea sounds great now but as others have stated farmers will just move on to other areas and be in your way, if you want to have awesome boss fights play the closed instanced dungeons as these are far more rewarding for both tactics and usable gear.

It is not farming they are getting banned for. It is hindering other players ability to play the game as it was intended that they are getting banned for. Beyond the first kill of the boss, killing him multiple times does not alter the content if the game in any way. So taking that ability away from other players by spawn camping infringes on other players rights to enjoy the natural progression of the game. If spawn camping progressed the game in anyway, then the argument would be different.
  • Krym
    Krym
    ✭✭✭

Suggestion: Make it so that once you kill a boss a timer kicks in. So for example, once a boss is killed by a player, that same player cannot kill it again for an hour.

"hey, I need help with that boss, can you help"

nope, sorry, still on cooldown
    Zarec wrote: »
    ZeniMax has the right, in its sole discretion,...

you what that actually means, right?
    Edited by Krym on April 10, 2014 9:34AM
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭

Suggestion: Make it so that once you kill a boss a timer kicks in. So for example, once a boss is killed by a player, that same player cannot kill it again for an hour.

"hey, I need help with that boss, can you help"

nope, sorry, still on cooldown
    ZeniMax has the right, in its sole discretion,...

you what that actually means, right?

Yes,they can make up the rules as they go if they so chose due to a little clause in the EULA, granted they have to give you about ninety days notice.

Why do you ask?
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you call camping, I call legitimate farming for items to break down for crafting mats and trait research. As long as you are at the keyboard there is no problem killing a mob repeatedly in an open world environment.

What you call "legitimate farming" I call deliberately spoiling the game for others.
  • Buppas
    Buppas
    Soul Shriven
    I won't bother talking about previous games etc, been playing SRPG / MMORPG for the past 15years or so, gonna leave it at that unless people want me to elaborate on why I have the views I have on this "issue"

Farming is a extremely important part of any MMO that wish to stay on the market for any extended amount of time, in most games better loot mobs -> longer cooldown timers, since all of these public dungeon bosses are fairly easy to kill (at <lvl25 atleast), and drop mostly mediocre loot (some decent / good that you will outlvl soon enough anyway), I don't see why they should be have long cooldowns.Personally if I hadn't been able to farm these bosses, I would probably have quit already (try doing 3-4crafts by yourself without being able to farm a mob for junk to deconstruct), since this would prevent me from crafting as much as I want.

I can however see the point the people who argue against this are making, but claiming people should be banned, or that they should forbid farming / limit the farming by introducing long timers before they can kill it again / wont get anything for it if they kill them, it very quickly alinenate the majority of MMO players instantly and as previous people have posted, most likely cause a huge loss in playerbase, this is just from my experience of interacting with your general MMO player, you will probably also see a drop in players willing to run around and help random people "just because", Taking me as an example, I don't feel like running across the map to help someone kill a boss, just to be nice, 100times a day. but if that boss would drop loot each time i did that, it would be a different story.

I've seen this; Examples of disruptive behavior include, but is not limited to, conduct which interferes with the normal flow of gameplay

being quoted quite a few times, and some arguments around it, which is pointless as it's zenimax who takes the decision on that, I personally consider "normal flow of gameplay" in an MMO to be that alot of mobs are camped endlessly, and see it as the norm and not disruptive, but more an annoyance if I want that one aswell.

I've also seen people claim that public dungeon bosses needed for quests are limiting their progression, I'd love to see an example of a dungeon boss related to a quest / quest progression, as I've yet to encounter one that has to do with a quest (exceptions being dungeon bosses, in proper dungeons, and not public dungeons)

anyway, sorry about that rant, but with that off my chest here is my suggestion (which I highly doubt will / would happen):

Make it so that when you enter a public dungeon you get two options "enter public dungeon or enter dungeon as group"

Enter public dungeon: Keep the current iteration (but with buffed up mobs to match an actual dungeon) with quick respawning endboss (dropping same loot as today).

Enter dungeon as group: Automatically sense if you are solo or in a group, if solo make mobs lose hp / dmg etc to be slightly above average mobs outside dungeons to make it a challenging experience, if it sense you are in a group, buff mobs to actual dungeon lvl difficulty (same as "closed" dungeons), no respawns in this version

Pro's: Win-win for everyone as people can do them at their own pace if they so choose, and farmers can farm
    Con's: Removes the "charm" of actual dungeons from the game, as every public dungeon would in effect, become a dungeon.

as closing words on this long post (sorry), I would like to say that implementing a long timer on mobs that are among the main source of material for crafting would have alot more effect on the game then just make alot of people who enjoy farming leave the game, it would also affect access to high lvl crafters, crafting material(all tiers), and the economy as a whole as soul-gems would be extremely hard to farm for compared to earlier, if that is a good or bad thing, I can't say.
  • Bunk
    Bunk
    ✭✭✭

It is not farming they are getting banned for. It is hindering other players ability to play the game as it was intended that they are getting banned for. Beyond the first kill of the boss, killing him multiple times does not alter the content if the game in any way. So taking that ability away from other players by spawn camping infringes on other players rights to enjoy the natural progression of the game. If spawn camping progressed the game in anyway, then the argument would be different.
    Your unilateral definition of "progression" doesn't matter because it's different from mine.

I view spawn camping as progression as it's easily the best way to get a full inventory of items. Deconstruct those items for crafting XP. Boom, progression at its finest.

Camping a boss won't get you banned, no matter how much you stomp your feet and quote the terms of use you greatly misconstrued. At the end of the day, it's a completely legitimate tactic. Want to get boss credit? Better get a hit in faster :^)
    idiot
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    @Buppas‌
    I get where you are coming from and why your positions are that way. I however have to disagree on several fronts and I'll explain them.

Back when we started playing mmos they were more geared for the hard core game. Casual gamers have become more of a thing and the old guard is slowly dying out. The downside to that is casual gamers area flighty by nature rather than the old guard who was stubborn and persistent. It prob has to do with the age group and during the time we were raised. Silver spoon syndrome versus hard work entitlement argument insert here.

What people are misconstruing as being penalized for farming is in fact not why they were punished to begin with. You do not receive a ticket for driving. You receive a ticket for running a red light. Similarly you are not being punished for farming, you are being punished for exploiting the game mechanics in such a fashion and scale that it has hindered players from playing the content as it was intended.

Finally, while you point out that it is zenimax decision in the end and go on to state what yo believe what normal gameplay is. What you and many others fail to realize that this is zenimax's playground. We are just the weeds infesting it. We play by their rules which are outlines quite well or be culled which has happened as the boss camping has been getting out of hand. Is banning the answer....short term maybe...long term no.

Side note: sorry for the misspellings, typing on an ipad touch screen and noticed I missed a couple words.
    Edited by Zarec on April 10, 2014 10:35AM
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Bunk wrote: »

Your unilateral definition of "progression" doesn't matter because it's different from mine.

I view spawn camping as progression as it's easily the best way to get a full inventory of items. Deconstruct those items for crafting XP. Boom, progression at its finest.

Camping a boss won't get you banned, no matter how much you stomp your feet and quote the terms of use you greatly misconstrued. At the end of the day, it's a completely legitimate tactic. Want to get boss credit? Better get a hit in faster :^)

You might want to check the forums. There are several closed threads to this effect.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Cancelled and getting a refund, support is pretty fast with this at least. (Was promised a refund if I still wanted one and to email back) I urge everyone else that finds the idea of bans for farming unacceptable to cancel and do the same.
  • Shanna
    Shanna
    ✭✭✭
    Before seeing these types of posts, I had assumed that the bosses only drop good stuff one time per character. That was what happened for me, specifically when trying to kill that boss alit on the shores of Auridon twice. He only dropped that dagger one time.
    This is all part of the game.
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Shanna wrote: »
    Before seeing these types of posts, I had assumed that the bosses only drop good stuff one time per character. That was what happened for me, specifically when trying to kill that boss alit on the shores of Auridon twice. He only dropped that dagger one time.

I honestly wouldn't know what they drop due to never having had to kill a boss in a public dungeon as as soon as I enter the are to spawn it, I get credit for it due to the mass farming being done.
  • Bunk
    Bunk
    ✭✭✭

You might want to check the forums. There are several closed threads to this effect.
    If anyone has gotten suspended, it's because they were botting or suspected of botting. As long as you're sitting at your keyboard, you're free to kill a mob as many times as you want, as long as it's not exploitation (eg, a bugged mob that keeps constantly respawning when it shouldn't be)

idiot
  • lyndsayporterb16_ESO
    if you want to stop werewolf/vampire camping, increase the spawns
  • elderscrollsb16_ESO109
    Honestly I do not understand the "we have right to farm" argument regarding this very subject. I.E. boss camping.

I feel there's so many other way to farm crafting mats that does not interfere with other players enjoyment. Farmers don't have to camp boss to be able to craft.
    So what's the point ?
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭

If anyone has gotten suspended, it's because they were botting or suspected of botting. As long as you're sitting at your keyboard, you're free to kill a mob as many times as you want, as long as it's not exploitation (eg, a bugged mob that keeps constantly respawning when it shouldn't be)

You really should do your homework

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/567599/#Comment_567599
  • Shanna
    Shanna
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wouldn't know what they drop due to never having had to kill a boss in a public dungeon as as soon as I enter the are to spawn it, I get credit for it due to the mass farming being done.

Yeah, I've had that experience, too. But, due to any game I ever recall having the system where the good loot only drops once per character (combined with my aforementioned experience), I just figured people where being silly about hanging around and piling up the boss corpses. As for me, I would just wait around and get my one shot in so I could complete the quest. I don't like fighting as much as I like progressing through the storyline, so I didn't mind. But if it is the case that we are missing out on boss loot due to this, I will *start* minding!

This is all part of the game.
  • IronMaiden_burnout
    IronMaiden_burnout
    ✭✭✭
    What you call camping, I call legitimate farming for items to break down for crafting mats and trait research. As long as you are at the keyboard there is no problem killing a mob repeatedly in an open world environment.
    You farmers ruin dungeons for the rest of us ok. So I hope ZOS implements my suggestion or something similar so that this ends. If you want mats go around the world exploring and collect.

Sorry but I am a solo player sometimes duo and I have a dedicated crafter with no combat skills, I like to farm the bosses for crafting matts although i'm not into staying there all day.
    You would be the first player to cry the boss is too hard to kill if no one would be there to help you!

Just enjoy the game, the boss spawns fast enough that you won't have to wait long.
    They just need to stop those bots parked there using a script all day long.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I sent a tweet to @ZOS_JessicaFolsom because until I see a post cearly stating from ZOS themselves (green text) I'm calling BS on people being banned for standard farming of bosses.
    They had to know this is exactly what would happen with public dungeons in an MMO and unless they have it clearly written where everyone can see it banning for farming is absurd. The EULA has nothing clearly stating that farming is banned and read like most other MMO EULA's regarding harassment of game abuse.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Well I sent a tweet to @ZOS_JessicaFolsom because until I see a post cearly stating from ZOS themselves (green text) I'm calling BS on people being banned for standard farming of bosses.
    They had to know this is exactly what would happen with public dungeons in an MMO and unless they have it clearly written where everyone can see it banning for farming is absurd. The EULA has nothing clearly stating that farming is banned and read like most other MMO EULA's regarding harassment of game abuse.

They are not being banned for farming. That isn't the issue so if you worded it as such, then no they are not being banned. From what I've seen so far is people getting banned for exploiting the game mechanics to the point they interfere with other players enjoyment of the game where they cannot experience it in a normal game progression.
  • Bunk
    Bunk
    ✭✭✭

EXPLOITING a boss.

You can read, right?

idiot
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭

EXPLOITING a boss.

You can read, right?

Can you? Keep reading sweetpea.
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at it this way. When ZOS designed the public dungeons, when it came to the boss fight, did they have in mind a mental picture of 10+ players standing on a spawn point of 10+ corpses with auto attack on macro. I don't think so.

Did they think, "we'll make these bosses work to meet expectations of loot farmers". Again, I don't think so.

I think ZOS will do something about this sooner or later cause it simply isn't what they intended imo.
  • randomaffliction66
    randomaffliction66
    ✭✭✭
    Farming instances is part of an mmo, you're going to have to with it, this is nothing new.
    Brave New World.
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Look at it this way. When ZOS designed the public dungeons, when it came to the boss fight, did they have in mind a mental picture of 10+ players standing on a spawn point of 10+ corpses with auto attack on macro. I don't think so.

Did they think, "we'll make these bosses work to meet expectations of loot farmers". Again, I don't think so.

I think ZOS will do something about this sooner or later cause it simply isn't what they intended imo.

I agree with you. I honesty would hate to see how much code hey have to write to fix it however as there are many dungeons and bosses to deal with. Won't be an easy fix and considering the outrage that these "farmers" are causing so far I hope it is quick as both having to encounter it in the first place on this scale as well as banning these players can have negative effects although banning them will prob be lesser of two evils for the time being as most are just trying to get through the content.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭

With the OP's suggestion you could still farm to your hearts content. Except for needing to wait an hour on the bosses.

agree +1

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Zarec
    Zarec
    ✭✭✭
    Farming instances is part of an mmo, you're going to have to with it, this is nothing new.

Spawn camping has been frowned upon and punishable in most games for a long time. It was usually lumped in as griefing. It is usually pertaining to pvp but lineage 2 and a few other games they viewed it in the pve side as well and punished players. God that made me feel old.
    Edited by Zarec on April 10, 2014 11:12AM