The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Boss Camping Has To Be Dealt With

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Now with the game in full swing for a week the usual gamers have slithered their way into ESO. Every dungeon has a group of clowns camping the boss. It takes away from players having a satisfying boss fight experience, and even takes a few tries in order to get the dungeon completion because you can't even get a hit off.

Suggestion: Make it so that once you kill a boss a timer kicks in. So for example, once a boss is killed by a player, that same player cannot kill it again for an hour. Instead of having it glow red make it glow yellow for an hour before reset (do not change respawn time for sake of other players running through). This will deter campers and keep them moving along.

Edit: This can also be applied to deter the issue of werewolf/vampire camping and then selling bites to other players for gold.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is what you are always going to run into with open dungeons. Honestly it isn't a big deal since there are other instanced dungeon where you get the loot. Those public dungeons are nice for a shot at the loot. The only real reason they are there though is give you the skyshard.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I see what you are saying, but it still is annoying for many of us as I stated in my OP. And anyone who has a suggestion please feel free to openly share it, but I think my suggestion is a nice quick tweak that will make all dungeons a nice run through for all.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DMuehlhausen If you're exploring public dungeons to see what they can tell you about the game world, the fact that there are other sources of loot is irrelevant. ESO has a diverse fanbase and for many of us a nugget of lore is more exciting than most of what I've looted in ESO. Interesting idea, OP.
  • Geneticspore
    Geneticspore
    ✭✭
    Well unless they make it so we can do our dungeons alone (I'll admit I've boss camped) it seems this is something that is just going to continue. One thing they could implement is a boss kill whether you get a blue item or not = 100% of NOTHING dropping from that boss for the next 2 hours
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Ban botters, let farmers do what they want. As long as you are at the keyboard and killing what they're doing is not wrong, it's a normal part of mmo's.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ban botters, let farmers do what they want. As long as you are at the keyboard and killing what they're doing is not wrong, it's a normal part of mmo's.
    I don't know who or what you are defending to be honest. My suggestion in the OP keeps the game open and free for all, gives everyone a chance, and deters camping. Doesn't get better than that.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 10, 2014 3:27AM
  • Geneticspore
    Geneticspore
    ✭✭

That's not the issue, the issue is the one's farming like that ARE the bots. If they simply implemented my system it would more than likely nip that cr@p in the buds.

• jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    What you call camping, I call legitimate farming for items to break down for crafting mats and trait research. As long as you are at the keyboard there is no problem killing a mob repeatedly in an open world environment.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    @DMuehlhausen If you're exploring public dungeons to see what they can tell you about the game world, the fact that there are other sources of loot is irrelevant. ESO has a diverse fanbase and for many of us a nugget of lore is more exciting than most of what I've looted in ESO. Interesting idea, OP.

Indeed , and some of us just want to loot.

Different kinds of players , different focus.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What you call camping, I call legitimate farming for items to break down for crafting mats and trait research. As long as you are at the keyboard there is no problem killing a mob repeatedly in an open world environment.
    You farmers ruin dungeons for the rest of us ok. So I hope ZOS implements my suggestion or something similar so that this ends. If you want mats go around the world exploring and collect.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    You farmers ruin dungeons for the rest of us ok. So I hope ZOS implements my suggestion or something similar so that this ends. If you want mats go around the world exploring and collect.
    Mob density needs to be greatly increased for this. But a good bump to mob density would fix it. But you'd then have everyone complaining that the game was to hard.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mob density needs to be greatly increased for this. But a good bump to mob density would fix it. But you'd then have everyone complaining that the game was to hard.
    I don't understand what the issue is here with you. My suggestion keeps the game open for all and allows the movement of players so that everyone gets their fair shot without the circus standing around the boss spawn. You enter the dungeon kill the boss (can't kill him for another hour) so you move along. Same will go for me and everyone else.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    I don't understand what the issue is here with you. My suggestion keeps the game open for all and allows the movement of players so that everyone gets their fair shot without the circus standing around the boss spawn. You enter the dungeon kill the boss (can't kill him for another hour) so you move along. Same will go for me and everyone else.
    My issue is that this won't end. Lets say you get your way here. People looking to farm will then find a high density area to farm. These will likely be mobs needed for a quest of one type or another. The complaints will continue and nothing will change but location. This is an mmo people farm, they need to farm because there is a grind factor in all mmo's that last. Complaining about the farming gets no where. Ban botters, ban dupers, ban any other type of exploiter, but realize that actual farming is a core mechanic in all mmo's.
  • Shadowsin
    Shadowsin
    haven't come across people boss camping...but quest camping is all over the place!
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My issue is that this won't end. Lets say you get your way here. People looking to farm will then find a high density area to farm. These will likely be mobs needed for a quest of one type or another. The complaints will continue and nothing will change but location. This is an mmo people farm, they need to farm because there is a grind factor in all mmo's that last. Complaining about the farming gets no where. Ban botters, ban dupers, ban any other type of exploiter, but realize that actual farming is a core mechanic in all mmo's.
    I appreciate your insight and opinion but I am failing to understand what you are trying to explain. If you kill a boss and a timer kicks in and you can't kill it again for an hour or more those players will move on. Everyone will have a turn as far as I can see it panning out.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate your insight and opinion but I am failing to understand what you are trying to explain. If you kill a boss and a timer kicks in and you can't kill it again for an hour or more those players will move on. Everyone will have a turn as far as I can see it panning out.

His point is quite simple , if you cant farm the boss , then you go farm something else that is worth your time.

For an example , lets use another thread in the forums , lets say vampires became the target , because they also give good loot.

People would complain , because everyone would then hunt every single vampire down for loot , and then nobody would be able to turn.

That is just an example , he mean farmers will just focus certain quests mobs , which would make harder for people to complete certain quests.

In the end , people farm.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on April 10, 2014 3:52AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • GreasedLizard
    GreasedLizard
    ✭✭✭
    Ya .. its pretty much the easiest way to level crafting and work on set pieces.

If one instance is over-camped. Log out and you should enter a different version of the public dungeon. Also, since there is instanced loot, I am sure a few people there will join up and help you get credit.

It may be a place for people to bot, but the loot fills up crazy fast and I have to destroy a lot of stuff that I don't deem useful to maximize my trip there. Can't see it working terribly well afk ... lol
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Ok I'll try to explain again, because you aren't understanding. So lets say you get what you want and that suggestion happens. Farmers then find a high mob density area. Areas of high mob density usually have a quest associated with those mobs for killing the mobs. So then instead of thread titles of "End Boss Camping" you get thread titles of "End (quest mob x) farming in (zone name here)". You don't fix anything, you just move the spot that people are farming to somewhere else, and this continues over and over again.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

His point is quite simple , if you cant farm the boss , then you go farm something else that is worth your time.

For an example , lets use another thread in the forums , lets say vampires became the target , because they also give good loot.

People would complain , because everyone would then hunt every single vampire down for loot , and then nobody would be able to turn.

That is just an example , he mean farmers will just focus certain quests mobs , which would make harder for people to complete certain quests.

In the end , people farm.
    Ok, good explanation. My suggestion allows special game characters to be protected from camping. Random NPC's can be farmed or whatever.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I'll try to explain again, because you aren't understanding. So lets say you get what you want and that suggestion happens. Farmers then find a high mob density area. Areas of high mob density usually have a quest associated with those mobs for killing the mobs. So then instead of thread titles of "End Boss Camping" you get thread titles of "End (quest mob x) farming in (zone name here)". You don't fix anything, you just move the spot that people are farming to somewhere else, and this continues over and over again.
    Special NPC's should be protected like my suggestion would provide. For example, if a quest has you clear out a pack of wolves, protect those wolves from spawn camping. Don't protect random wolves out in the field no one particularly needs. Want to camp those wolves be my guest.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 10, 2014 3:58AM
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    Special NPC's should be protected like my suggestion would provide. For example, if a quest has you clear out a pack of wolves, protect those wolves from spawn camping. Don't protect random wolves out in the field no one particularly needs. Want to camp those wolves be my guest.

With the grind factor in mmo's that will kill the game and send it f2p because you'll be trying to keep people from farming.

Honest question are you primarily a single player gamer before now?
  • xDJ_DUBST3Px
    Yes, definitely ban the botters, but dont you think the OP's idea is a brilliant one? The way i see it, this idea could change the entire world of mmos for the better. Maybe it should've been addressed as a major issue in multiple mmos in the past.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely ban the botters, but dont you think the OP's idea is a brilliant one? The way i see it, this idea could change the entire world of mmos for the better. Maybe it should've been addressed as a major issue in multiple mmos in the past.
    Thank you.
  • Midgardian
    Midgardian
    ✭✭✭
    "My suggestion keeps the game open for all "

This has got to be one of the most overblown uses of rhetoric I've seen on these forums. Farming public dungeon bosses is closing the game?

What exactly is the problem? I've been in a public dungeon where 10-15 people were farming the boss, and I had no problem killing the boss multiple times and getting useful items. If you aren't happy, do something else.

The only way I can see this changing for the positive is if quests and random world mobs give better loot. Overall, the quest rewards are pretty lacking in this game, making it necessary to farm mobs.

I find the public dungeons fun when there are a lot of people in them.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    No because it would change make the grind way way more difficult especially with how he wants to protect mobs used for quests now too. That means that you will not be able to farm, which means they'll have to eliminate the grind. Without some level of grind players don't play long. With players not playing long, developers lose money, when developers lose money servers close.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

With the grind factor in mmo's that will kill the game and send it f2p because you'll be trying to keep people from farming.

Honest question are you primarily a single player gamer before now?
    Mostly single, have played some MMO's. I see what you are saying but my suggestion allows the circulation of players. Campers won't stand around waiting to kill a boss for long periods of time.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Midgardian wrote: »

This has got to be one of the most overblown uses of rhetoric I've seen on these forums. Farming public dungeon bosses is closing the game?

What exactly is the problem? I've been in a public dungeon where 10-15 people were farming the boss, and I had no problem killing the boss multiple times and getting useful items. If you aren't happy, do something else.

The only way I can see this changing for the positive is if quests and random world mobs give better loot. Overall, the quest rewards are pretty lacking in this game, making it necessary to farm mobs.

I'll keep it simple for you so you don't come back with sarcasm. Boss camping is clown activity. Other players want to explore and have a boss fight. Is that ok with you? All are entitled to that boss fight. My suggestion makes it so that since you can't slam the boss every 2 minutes, you exit and head somewhere else. That gives Bobby Turnbuckles a chance to fight a boss and walk away with the satisfying experience.

You think your quest for loot or xp or whatever else it is should hamper the rest of our experiences? And I can say with some deal of certainty that ZOS sides with those who want those thrilling boss fights. You have your chance for loot and xp just the way I do and the rest do. But you farming the boss hurts my game experience and others. You follow me now?
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 10, 2014 4:29AM
  • Midgardian
    Midgardian
    ✭✭✭

I'll keep it simple for you so you don't come back with sarcasm. Boss camping is clown activity. Other players want to explore and have a boss fight. Is that ok with you? All are entitled to that boss fight. My suggestion makes it so that since you can't slam the boss every 2 minutes, you exit and head somewhere else. That gives Bobby Turnbuckles a chance to fight a boss and walk away with the satisfying experience.

You think your quest for loot or xp or whatever else it is should hamper the rest of our experiences?

I didn't use sarcasm.

There are plenty of things for you to do in the game. You can fight the boss. I've never had problems fighting the boss. People are camping it, so they are obviously killing it.

No one is hampering your experience. You can fight the boss. You can quest. You can still play the game. You are the one asking to change a fundamental mechanic just so you can "fight" a pointless boss.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You think your quest for loot or xp or whatever else it is should hamper the rest of our experiences?

I didn't use sarcasm.

There are plenty of things for you to do in the game. You can fight the boss. I've never had problems fighting the boss. People are camping it, so they are obviously killing it.

No one is hampering your experience. You can fight the boss. You can quest. You can still play the game. You are the one asking to change a fundamental mechanic just so you can "fight" a pointless boss.
    Yes big boss man. Your ability to loot and ravage bosses has to stay because you say it has to. Does not matter that others want to go in there and have a real fight. Because your explanation of "fighting" the boss is getting one swing off as 10 others pummel it also and it dies literally within 3 seconds of spawn.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on April 10, 2014 4:36AM
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO

You think your quest for loot or xp or whatever else it is should hamper the rest of our experiences? And I can say with some deal of certainty that ZOS sides with those who want those thrilling boss fights. You have your chance for loot and xp just the way I do and the rest do. But you farming the boss hurts my game experience and others. You follow me now?

No because none of the boss fights in public dungeons are fun and exciting because even when done solo (which I have done on beta and early access) they're too easy to care about. They hit like wet noodles and have the health of a piece of tissue paper. They're loot pinatas that's is all they are. If they were intended to be some memorable experience they'd hit harder and have much much more hp.

Next issue who says your way of enjoying the game should be preferable to my way of enjoying farming? Fact is you've admitted you've mostly played single player titles. I honestly expected this from your comments. Now it's very very likely that you won't be here long as you are not a mmo player and the features needed for an mmo will likely drive you up the wall. That means you aren't a long term revenue stream. Doing what you want will hurt that long term revenue stream because it hurts farmers.