Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Hopefully by this time tomorrow we will know if the passives will change.

No they won't and you already knew this when the racials went live. Again, there was no indication that anything would change. We had a PTR cycle with commentary they adjusted some racials and others were not touched. ZOS settled down on them and maybe it's time to finally accept it.

Never. THERE ARE NO BOSMER NOW. I'm sorry that you cannot understand the lore of the past 25 years behind this assertion, but it is there, it hasn't gone anywhere, and it will not change.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never. THERE ARE NO BOSMER NOW. I'm sorry that you cannot understand the lore of the past 25 years behind this assertion, but it is there, it hasn't gone anywhere, and it will not change.

I totally agree and almost went and made a new post called something like "Can we rename Bosmer to something else since they're not Bosmer" but figured it would just get ignored and/or reported.

I read through the class rep application thread and there's apparently a class rep discord. Maybe some of us need to get on there and reiterate our points directly to the reps and get their thoughts
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No they won't and you already knew this when the racials went live. Again, there was no indication that anything would change. We had a PTR cycle with commentary they adjusted some racials and others were not touched. ZOS settled down on them and maybe it's time to finally accept it.

Nope not as long as they are breaking ingrained lore within ESO itself. They either fix lore breaking changes or they are proving they are straight up liars. They said they wanted to preserve established lore and did the opposite. A lot of people care about the games lore and when the game says you should have something and you don't, that's broken and should be fixed.
    Edited by Koronach on March 28, 2019 4:29PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koronach wrote: »

Nope not as long as they are breaking ingrained lore within ESO itself. They either fix lore breaking changes or they are proving they are straight up liars. They said they wanted to preserve established lore and did the opposite. A lot of people care about the games lore and when the game says you should have something and you don't, that's broken and should be fixed.

Reps were providing feedback, even on PTS. Can't say they pushed a lot for stealth issue, but a lot of them clearly stated that orc is hilariously OP. As you can see - ZOS reaction - "we are happy with new racial passives".
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on March 28, 2019 4:32PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rename Bosmer to Imga and give them ape faces, and that would be more lore appropriate. We've only got one picture of an Imga from Daggerfall era concept art, and there's no tail so those people who don't like tails won't have to race change. No stealth + no special aptitude for archery = not Bosmer. But Imga are wide open, you can do anything with them, they've never been playable before.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Imga
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭
    If I delete my Imga or change her name will I get that name back upon creating my most beloved character, for the past 14 years, over again, into something that's anything but an Imga? Or, is there a period of time in which I could get the name back or would she be lost forever if I recreated her? I just need to do something ff'ss :neutral:

btw, "Not a Bosmer" was taken almost immediately by a clever and quick soul, ha!
    Sejreia-Efeliel-Olympias-Emerald Ire-Asifi Kare-Skips~on~Starfire-Everbloom-Sugrahdun-Elsreia-Ceruval
    PC NA
    MMORPG:2004-2019
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty. - @Cundu_Ertur
    “Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there it is. I'm laying money down that this is the planned "open stealth to all" idea that was the reason Bosmer got the shaft.

Vesture of Darloc Brae (Overland Elsweyr set)
    Set bonus
    (2 items) Adds 129 Magicka Recovery
    (3 items) Adds 129 Stamina Recovery
    (4 items) Reduces the radius you can be detected while sneaking by 2 meters. Reduces the cost of sneak by 10%.
    (5 items) While crouching, you restore 647 Magicka and Stamina and heal for 698 every second.

Source

They gutted the race to pimp a new set. (yes, overly dramatic)
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    And there it is. I'm laying money down that this is the planned "open stealth to all" idea that was the reason Bosmer got the shaft.

Set bonus
    (4 items) Reduces the radius you can be detected while sneaking by 2 meters. Reduces the cost of sneak by 10%.
    (5 items) While crouching, you restore 647 Magicka and Stamina and heal for 698 every second.

Source

ZOS is making some serious shuffle with this set. 5th bonus equivalent recovery is hilarious and permacloaked NBs will rock. To counter act this demand for detection will jump. And here we are, irreplaceable member of any PVP group - Imga with way of air and sentry set! :D:scream:
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wedgebert wrote: »

I totally agree and almost went and made a new post called something like "Can we rename Bosmer to something else since they're not Bosmer" but figured it would just get ignored and/or reported.

I still think they should now be called Falmer. Ugly, blind and corrupted elves.... but hey, they can smell your stealthed behind from three meters away! Watch them roll through you and knock you down (Morihaus) like mutated circus acrobats, leaving behind a rune to blow you up (Eternal Hunt)..... as they tumble into shameful ostracism: the laughing stock of proper stand up swordsmen and spell casters everywhere. Form a line at your forward camp to receive your participation trophy and uncracked geode ration... if you survived the lag spike loading screen.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

Set bonus

Source

Is that like "Rugs" or "Boots". I mean, "gutting the race"...
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing I'm curious about: can Bosmer NPC guards now detect sneaking criminals 3 meters farther away? If not, then they're not really Bosmer, are they? Or is that the preferred job of Bosmer who flunked out of stealth detection class?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »

No they won't and you already knew this when the racials went live.

Oh, it's everybody knowledge that racials won't be revisited in nearest couple of years. This thread and those Q&A is just a reminder not to put a single cent in this game. (though i put a lot before and regularly, literally buying anything i like)

Well then punish ZOS with your wallet.

Why? And what punishment? You're just one person and/or a small group.

The rest of us don't have a problem.

If you want to "punish" a multi-billion corporation by not giving them chump change, go for it.

Most of us play and subscribe and don't really care about much other than server issues, lag time and "bots".

Racial passives and minor adjustments to skills just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

What I want is unlimited Health, Magicka and Stamina. Nothing less. At level 2 as a perk, of course.

You missed the mark. I have absolutely no problem. It's the Bosmer crowd in this thread that can't accept what's reality now.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, it's everybody knowledge that racials won't be revisited in nearest couple of years. This thread and those Q&A is just a reminder not to put a single cent in this game. (though i put a lot before and regularly, literally buying anything i like)

If you want to "punish" a multi-billion corporation by not giving them chump change, go for it.

Most of us play and subscribe and don't really care about much other than server issues, lag time and "bots".

Racial passives and minor adjustments to skills just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

What I want is unlimited Health, Magicka and Stamina. Nothing less. At level 2 as a perk, of course.

You missed the mark. I have absolutely no problem. It's the Bosmer crowd in this thread that can't accept what's reality now.

Touche and I apologize if I misread.

Thank you for setting me straight.

I do love my bosmers though.

They're short, they're cute and they're awesome with a bow.

I don't really care otherwise.

It's all about the looks to me.

You might be able to tell that I'm not very good at PvP. :)
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well my comment was just an answer to another guy who said he quit his ESO+.
    ______

And they have antlers! That's the best about Bosmer.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

______

That's a shame. He'll be back though. We always come back. :)
  • Khipu
    Khipu
    ✭✭✭

If this was WoW Seraphayel would be known as a “White Knight” a person who defends the game maker company beyond any reason to the point of absurdity.

If it is because of some financial insecurity and the need to prove the money they spent is well placed, or just for enjoyment of seeing people get upset over their comments, or some other odd reason, the best course of action is just to ignore them.

I will be in Boston tomorrow and I will be at that hall all day. I will make sure our voice is heard.

Aww c'mon~~ but Lyris got to teach Tharn about the anatomy of the nose, by both telling him why it was created, and punching him directly in it, right in front of the Vestige!

Obviously people aren't going to get very far in this endeavor quiting ESO+, on the other hand, they're going to do with their money whatever they choose to, as always. So there's that.

Honestly though, I hope you travel safe and you get some enjoyment there, above all else! :smile:
    Sejreia-Efeliel-Olympias-Emerald Ire-Asifi Kare-Skips~on~Starfire-Everbloom-Sugrahdun-Elsreia-Ceruval
    PC NA
    MMORPG:2004-2019
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty. - @Cundu_Ertur
    “Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.” ― Walt Whitman
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that Bosmer in ESO have no particular aptitude with the bow. They get a minor XP buff, but that's it. While both Orc and Dumner get actual bow damage increases and make superior archers.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that Bosmer in ESO have no particular aptitude with the bow. They get a minor XP buff, but that's it. While both Orc and Dumner get actual bow damage increases and make superior archers.

Don't care.

Orc - warrior, usually DK 'cause it doesn't make sense to go Templar. Warden maybe. In no case magicka and always 2 handed.

Dunmer - sorcerer or DK. Nothing else.

Bosmer - cute and uses a bow.

I know... I know... stupid. But that's me.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

______

OMG, it was nothing about ESO+, you can't cancel it if it is already running. I just said that i don't want to spend any additional money on game where devs are not listening to players. It's not only about stealth, it's about overall ignorance, poor performance, lack of variety. This case with stealth is just bright example of how they listen and how they preserve lore. I never played MMORPGs before, only reason why I came here was Morrowind and Skyrim. Unfortunately, ESO is not compatible with them, it's spin-off, parallel reality which won't end in 3rd Era which majority of players prefer:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/458118/favourite-era

I still continue to play mostly because of friends in game, and I spend 90% of time in group content and other 10% are writs and surveys. I have "3rd era" ESO running in parallel in my mind, and since group content is just a small stories which doesn't contradict original game atmosphere, I'm fine with them. Remove of stealth just cut last part of my immersion which was keeping me in overland, so one less reason to play it, and one less reason to buy Elsweyr. I don't think about it as "sacrifice" or "voting with wallet". I simply don't want to buy it, no point to.
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

______

OMG, it was nothing about ESO+, you can't cancel it if it is already running. I just said that i don't want to spend any additional money on game where devs are not listening to players. It's not only about stealth, it's about overall ignorance, poor performance, lack of variety. This case with stealth is just bright example of how they listen and how they preserve lore. I never played MMORPGs before, only reason why I came here was Morrowind and Skyrim. Unfortunately, ESO is not compatible with them, it's spin-off, parallel reality which won't end in 3rd Era which majority of players prefer:

I still continue to play mostly because of friends in game, and I spend 90% of time in group content and other 10% are writs and surveys. I have "3rd era" ESO running in parallel in my mind, and since group content is just a small stories which doesn't contradict original game atmosphere, I'm fine with them. Remove of stealth just cut last part of my immersion which was keeping me in overland, so one less reason to play it, and one less reason to buy Elsweyr. I don't think about it as "sacrifice" or "voting with wallet". I simply don't want to buy it, no point to.

What do you mean it won't end in the 3rd era? Where else would it go?
    Edited by Ogou on March 28, 2019 6:50PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    they're awesome with a bow.
    Orcs, Dunmer, Reguards, and/or Imperials are all better with a bow.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS rubbing salt into Bosmer wounds with this new set.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 28, 2019 6:54PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ogou wrote: »

______

What do you mean it won't end the 3rd era? Where else would it go?

Well, we know that in 3rd era argonians are slaves of dunmers, nords and dunmers despise and hate each other as race and nationality, and of course bosmers are stealthy and "night eye" is khajiit's perk. Imperials in 3rd era is actually basement of civilization and not some villains who just want to destroy all neighboring kingdoms . So obviously ESO is parallel reality.
    I specially checked 2nd era timeline in UESP some time ago, and ESO consequences vanish without trace very fast. Maybe it's all dealings of imperial scribes who changed history to their needs, but given that characters and world in TES3-5 are immersive and in ESO majority of them are generic and not trustworthy, my conscience is with single-player TES games.

So main thing in ESO for me is gameplay and cosmetics, unfortunately ZOS makes everything to ruin my immersive builds with every patch, but I still find new ways to adapt and play the way I like, not like ZOS pigeonholes me. From new patchnote I see that they ruin most interesting and skill-based ability in the game to draw people attention to necromancer.. ok, maybe I need to switch my magblade dps to pvp healer and re-build breton templar from healer to dps, something like that..
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭

______

Well, we know that in 3rd era argonians are slaves of dunmers, nords and dunmers despise and hate each other as race and nationality, and of course bosmers are stealthy and "night eye" is khajiit's perk. Imperials in 3rd era is actually basement of civilization and not some villains who just want to destroy all neighboring kingdoms . So obviously ESO is parallel reality.
    I specially checked 2nd era timeline in UESP some time ago, and ESO consequences vanish without trace very fast. Maybe it's all dealings of imperial scribes who changed history to their needs, but given that characters and world in TES3-5 are immersive and in ESO majority of them are generic and not trustworthy, my conscience is with single-player TES games.

So main thing in ESO for me is gameplay and cosmetics, unfortunately ZOS makes everything to ruin my immersive builds with every patch, but I still find new ways to adapt and play the way I like, not like ZOS pigeonholes me. From new patchnote I see that they ruin most interesting and skill-based ability in the game to draw people attention to necromancer.. ok, maybe I need to switch my magblade dps to pvp healer and re-build breton templar from healer to dps, something like that..

-Telvanni and Dres still have argonian and khajiiti slaves.
    -An ancient Nord ghost with a passionate hatred of the Dunmer being at the head of the empire would definitely revive old hatred. The tribunal having to bow down and surrender the Numidium probably didn't help either.
    -gameplay =/= lore
    -There's that dude called Tiber Septim who unified the Imperials and led them in a conquest of the entire continent of Tamriel. That might have helped with the importance of the Imperials.

So which part exactly vanished without a trace?

I mean. You can have whatever headcanon you want but, as far as both Bethesda and ZOS are concerned, ESO is indeed canon:

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on March 28, 2019 7:50PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

______

-Telvanni and Dres still have argonian and khajiiti slaves.
    -An ancient Nord ghost with a passionate hatred of the Dunmer being at the head of the empire would definitely revive old hatred. The tribunal having to bow down and surrender the Numidium probably didn't help either.
    -gameplay =/= lore
    -There's that dude called Tiber Septim who unified the Imperials and led them in a conquest of the entire continent of Tamriel. That might have helped with the importance of the Imperials.

So which part exactly vanished without a trace?

I mean. You can have whatever headcanon you want but, as far as both Bethesda and ZOS are concerned, ESO is indeed canon:

Anybody may write anything in twitter, it doesn't change facts. You may even find some small notification of planemeld in some manuscript somewhere etc, but no single NPC in Morrowind and Skyrim will never mention that someday nords and dunmers were in alliance, but they remember battles of nords and chimers (i.e. dunmers) which were before ESO. Lore and more importantly lore shown in dialog, architecture, people interaction in previous games is solid and immersive. In ESO it's more like another fantasy novel published each year where authors turn things inside out to keep reader interested. Elsweyr: "Oh yeah, dragon attacking because somebody unleashed them from cave". Summerset: "Return of the Psijics and Sea Sload!". I'm not saying that Summerset story is bad, I liked it. But compare it to Skyrim, where dragon attacks to save Jarl and then follows connection to Tiber Septim, to Blades, Thalmor and so on.. and even main story of Skyrim which is considered realtively bad in comparison to side quests and guild quests.. even this main story outshines ESO greatly.. not but plot twists, but by depth and immersion.

You may say that those are single-player games, they are always better cause they are not limited by MMO gameplay. Ok, let's look at books:
    Just compare this, how flawless and connected is all the writing and which describes a lot about bosmers through small nuances. You can't write something like that if you don't perceive Tamriel as a whole world:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Words_and_Philosophy

And this, where it's just list of facts of what bosmers without deep lore connection.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Green_Pact_and_the_Dominion

When ESO was created ZOS was thinking.. hmm... we need to gave some story to fill 3 zones and which will be memorable. Ok, let's make bosmers anti-veggie cannibals, why not.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, but, as I already said:

Orcs are bang, bang 2 handers (but not templars)
    Dunmer are mages or DK's
    Imperials - okay...well, I haven't really figured out what they are but I usually go Stamplar

I know I'm wrong and deluded, but that's just the way it is for me.

Bosmers are from the forest and therefore are Wood Elves and therefore use bows. It's just the way it is for me.

:)
  • wedgebert
    wedgebert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Absolutely, but, as I already said:

Dunmer are mages or DK's
    Imperials - okay...well, I haven't really figured out what they are but I usually go Stamplar

Bosmers are from the forest and therefore are Wood Elves and therefore use bows. It's just the way it is for me.

I mean, you can roleplay it however you want and that's fine. That's a big part of our complaints. It's hard to rp being an awesome archer when any Orc or Dunmer can pick up a bow and easily be better than you.

It's hard to rp being a master thief from a race of master thieves when literally every single other race is at least marginally better at stealthing than you.

I don't need to be the Bosmer of lore in that you'd trip over me and still probably not see me. But it'd be nice if the developers at least acknowledged this was an Elder Scrolls game and not generic fantasy MMO #7.

Is ZOS going to make a Harry Potter MMO where Heromine is a bumbling fool and house elves are 6' tall?
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Absolutely, but, as I already said:

Dunmer are mages or DK's

There's another thread where someone tries to show that a bow/bow build is 'viable.' It's an Orc. Because, of course it is. Orcs and Dunmer are the best archers now. Doesn't matter if they're better used for something else, the fact is they are the best archers, bar none, no competition. Aside from each other. Next best are Redguards, then Imperials. So much for that aspect of Bosmer lore. And between losing both stealthiness and archery, there isn't much continuity with lore left for Bosmer.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is ZOS going to make a Harry Potter MMO where Heromine is a bumbling fool and house elves are 6' tall?
    Only after making Ogres cute and cuddly.
This discussion has been closed.