Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Wood Elf/ Bosmer losing stealth passive, An open letter.

• Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dalsinthus wrote: »
    Well there it is. Hundreds and hundreds of comments objecting to this and they ignored us. Clear explanations based on lore and game mechanics ignored. This sends a pretty clear message about how little ZOS values player feedback.

Canceled sub for the 3rd time. Absolutely wont be renewing unless they revert some of these garbage changes. To top it all off, pvp is pretty much unplayable with siege doing ridiculous damage. It's a sad state of affairs over at zos. Greed and incompetence are on full display. Some of the customer service employees are amazing. It's too bad the leaders dont display the same level of workmanship.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    The open letter has been closed and returned to the sender.

Clever
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This entire update reeks of a PvP mindset. (I.E. "Stealth detect is useful!", "Off-stat regen is useful!")

I can see no other reasoning for the gutting of core racial identities and tossing decades of established lore down the proverbial toilet.

And reading those worthless "developer commentary" bits in the patch notes only further confirm my suspicions. (Seriously. Using "alteration magic" as an argument for the Altmer spell recharge change? How dense are these people?)

But it's fine. They've chosen to make these lore-shattering changes. And, likewise, I've chosen to stop supporting them. It's hard to keep your house standing when you start destroying your own foundation.

This is what happens when you promote the head of PvP to combat design lead. Wheeler couldn't care less about any PvE or lore elements. He doesn't consider that to be part of his job description.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 26, 2019 5:45AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Mind boggling how they have far more PvE players than PvP, yet with every update they are robbing core PvE values to address some niche PvP issue. Incredible that they can change your hit points and other stats the moment you zone into Cyrodiil, but they can't figure out how to modify skills in the same way.

The monetization crew must be livid about the combat team driving away PvEers like this, since they are the ones more likely to buy houses, furniture, cosmetics, and other fluff items than the PvP dedicated minority. Their strategy makes no sense.

I'm genuinely scared for the CP re-balancing. Wheeler was the wrong person to replace Wrobel.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 26, 2019 5:47AM
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just killed half the reason I have bosmer, to be better at thieves guild/dark brotherhood missions. I'm thinking about cancelling my ESO plus and kissing this game goodbye, none of my friends play it anymore anyway. This patch rewards people who put no thought into their race/class/playstyle combos and punished those who did and ZOS deserves to be spit on because of it.

Oh and do you know if it's possible to cancel our prepurchase of Elsweyr?
    Edited by Arato on February 26, 2019 6:05AM
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    They just killed half the reason I have bosmer, to be better at thieves guild/dark brotherhood missions. I'm thinking about cancelling my ESO plus and kissing this game goodbye, none of my friends play it anymore anyway. This patch rewards people who put no thought into their race/class/playstyle combos and punished those who did and ZOS deserves to be spit on because of it.

Oh and do you know if it's possible to cancel our prepurchase of Elsweyr?

If you want to cancel your prepurchase you have to submit a ticket.

I haven’t given up all hope, it took them a year and a half practically but they returned the ability for multiple Templars to repent the same corpse after taking it away. They can still change it to

Part one: Reduces your detection radius in stealth by 3 meters.
    Part two: Increases your movement speed by 10% and your Physical and Spell Penetration by 1500 for 6 seconds after you use Roll Dodge.

They won’t loose face with it, only gain faith.
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you promote the head of PvP to combat design lead. Wheeler couldn't care less about any PvE or lore elements. He doesn't consider that to be part of his job description.

So, one zone is better than 15 + DLCs. Sounds like the kind of logic ZOS would use, indeed.

Well, that guy better figure it's part of his job description ASAP, because my wallet won't open anymore until he does. And my wallet (and yours, and everyone's) is what keeps his job in existence.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reading those worthless "developer commentary" bits in the patch notes only further confirm my suspicions. (Seriously. Using "alteration magic" as an argument for the Altmer spell recharge change? How dense are these people?)

Neutron star dense, mate. Or maybe black hole. Very dense and really not that bright.
  • jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer were cute and stealthy that was their thing. This stealth change is stupid. Please unf*ck this.
  • Aela_Dragonrider
    Aela_Dragonrider
    ✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

Eitherway, we will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! Today we will have our independence BOSMER day!

That's why we need to keep after the devs on this, no matter what.

Lara tried some thieving in Auridon yesterday post-patch up at the manor where the bankers are. In that room, she grabbed the backpacks and dressers along one wall no problem. Then grabbed a trunk behind one banker no problem. Then she grabbed the nearby cabinet: The altmer lady that walks around in there turned at that moment and caught her. Though the distance between them wasn't a lot, if it had been pre-patch Lara would have gotten away scot free. So she ran away and hung out at the nearby dolmen to soothe her hurt feelings.

Still wanna try some delves/thieving in other places like Wayrest. Wayrest houses are very small and always seem to have 2 people. Lara could grab the safeboxes in there with just a little patience before. Now...we'll see.

• Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭
    Did any of you even think about its meaning for PvP?

The passive cuts both ways.

If you are running around searching for sneaking enemies it is a nice tool. If you want to hide from enemies you are going to hate it. No matter how good your stealth is, detecting another player removes you from stealth. That applies to hunters eye as well so if you are hiding all your opponents need to do is to let a sneaking light/heavy armor player that is no khajiit walk around. In a distance of 10-15 m the little sneaking indicator eye should be half open for him and at a distance of 8.5-9.5 m you will detect him and therefor be revealed yourself
    Edited by Temeraire507 on February 26, 2019 1:09PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are running around searching for sneaking enemies it is a nice tool. If you want to hide from enemies you are going to hate it. No matter how good your stealth is, detecting another player removes you from stealth. That applies to hunters eye as well so if you are hiding all your opponents need to do is to let a sneaking light/heavy armor player that is no khajiit walk around. In a distance of 10-15 m the little sneaking indicator eye should be half open for him and at a distance of 8.5-9.5 m you will detect him and therefor be revealed yourself

"If you want to hide from enemies you are going to hate it." Yes, bosmers are supposed to be stealthy, that's why we made bosmers, so we hate it.

And yes, we have thought about it's meaning for PvP. And some us even tested it. Have you?

From the tests it appears that the only people who are going to get caught by this are the odd templar or sorc who went into stealth so they can go to the bathroom. Most attackers appear to attack from well beyond the capabilities of this passive.

It's not going to help from a stealthy archer who is far away from you, and it's not going to help from a melee NB who uses Shadowy Disguise in their opener. And stealth detect is not mage light.

•••

Also the previous bonus to stealth passive was useful in PvP AND PvE. The new stealth detect passive is only useful in PvP. And even then extremely limited in its usefulness.

Bosmers are known for their stealthiness, now they are as stealthy as a nord or an orc, but not Imperials who actually have a passive that directly helps stealth. Net effect; Imperials are stealthier than bosmers.

Edit: My mistake. I completely misread this. Sorry!
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 26, 2019 2:03PM
  • Razorback174
    Razorback174
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

"If you want to hide from enemies you are going to hate it." Yes, bosmers are supposed to be stealthy, that's why we made bosmers, so we hate it.

And yes, we have thought about it's meaning for PvP. And some us even tested it. Have you?

From the tests it appears that the only people who are going to get caught by this are the odd templar or sorc who went into stealth so they can go to the bathroom. Most attackers appear to attack from well beyond the capabilities of this passive.

It's not going to help from a stealthy archer who is far away from you, and it's not going to help from a melee NB who uses Shadowy Disguise in their opener. And stealth detect is not mage light.

•••

Also the previous bonus to stealth passive was useful in PvP AND PvE. The new stealth detect passive is only useful in PvP. And even then extremely limited in its usefulness.

Bosmers are known for their stealthiness, now they are as stealthy as a nord or an orc, but not Imperials who actually have a passive that directly helps stealth. Net effect; Imperials are stealthier than bosmers.

I might be misunderstanding him, but I believe he's saying it makes you even LESS stealthy in PvP, as you detecting someone will, in turn, make you detected as the one detecting them.

That is, if I followed that logic correctly....
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭

•••

Did you even read my post?!

•••

I might be misunderstanding him, but I believe he's saying it makes you even LESS stealthy in PvP, as you detecting someone will, in turn, make you detected as the one detecting them.

This.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

•••

The posters text is a bit confusing I will admit. I assumed the line "If you want to hide from enemies you are going to hate it." was directed at Bosmer players, not people hiding from bosmers, but I could be wrong. There is a lot of indefinite pronouns in there.

Got it. Sorry about that!
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 26, 2019 2:06PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

•••

•••

This.

I got it now. Sorry. My bad. I completely misread your post. I thought you were going the other way with your argument. My apologies!!!!

(This whole thing is making me way too tense.)
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 26, 2019 2:05PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not think I would miss the Stealth perk, but now that I have had a chance to play after the patch went live, I realize just how badly I miss it. And as I ponder on the detection radius they replaced it with, I realize that is a skill only effectively used in PVP, which I do not play. So, if you grade the Bosmer by that ability, it would seem they are now a PVP only race.

Please give me my stealth back. I don't want to refer to myself in the 3rd person.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭

•••

•••

This.

I got it now. Sorry. My bad. I completely misread your post. I thought you were going the other way with your argument. My apologies!!!!

(This whole thing is making me way too tense.)

No problem
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Temeraire507 So you're saying... Bosmer is now the worst race to sneak with as long as your enemy pays attention?
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Incidentally, if you're wanting to make any character stealthy, my recomendation would be either Night Mother's Embrace (the Night Mother drop set, not the crafted one), and either Darkstride, Night Terror (for reduced detection radius), or Night's Silence (for full movement in stealth).

Did you seriously think that somebody who makes as much of a fuss about stealthiness as I do didn't know that?

I've been playing the character for years wearing Night Terror and Night's Silence. I've been collecting Night Mother's Embrace since it was a heavy set, but it's just taking up bank space;I don't want to use both it and Night Terror, since I don't want to make my character a vampire, and hence do what him to have Night's Silence. Of course I have a lot of it stashed away now, since who hasn't farmed Deshaan dropped sets at some point? The original plan was to make a second stealthy character wearing it, but as much as I liked the Thieves Guild the first time, I haven't yet felt like repeating the quests. Besides, one of the big things I use sneaking for is generic mats farming (yes, I know there are other ways to do it), and having enough skill points for that, for thieving and for combat ... well, it's a lot of skill points.

I sympathize.

But it sounds like it's time to become a kitty cat.

No thank you. In fact I wish stealth had been given to more races. Argonian Shadowscales and Dunmer Morag Tong should have always had this same reduced detection passive. More choices only helps, it never hurts.

They should have had something
    Zuboko wrote: »
    I did not think I would miss the Stealth perk, but now that I have had a chance to play after the patch went live, I realize just how badly I miss it. And as I ponder on the detection radius they replaced it with, I realize that is a skill only effectively used in PVP, which I do not play. So, if you grade the Bosmer by that ability, it would seem they are now a PVP only race.

Please give me my stealth back. I don't want to refer to myself in the 3rd person.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

This one is practicing.

(Well, I also have an alt Khajiit, so I gotta when I'm wearing him)
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭
    @Temeraire507 So you're saying... Bosmer is now the worst race to sneak with as long as your enemy pays attention?

In PvP, Yes. Given you invested the points into the passive
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wouldn't know. I wouldn't put points there if I got paid.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this tested at new patch? Because at murkmire i sometimes make fun of alone players which went to sneak without noticing me, so I crawl at their location and they were detected at short range, but i was not detected (bosmer+night mother). Then i will just do something spooky, but not a stupid snipe ofc :D
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on February 26, 2019 3:28PM
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭

Is this tested at new patch? Because at murkmire i sometimes make fun of alone players which went to sneak without noticing me, so I crawl at their location and they were detected at short range, but i was not detected (bosmer+night mother). Then i will just do something spooky, but not a stupid snipe ofc :D

I tested it at the end of the last PTS week and it worked that way. Not 100% sure it carried over to live since I weren't able to test it after the change yet. But they didn't change anything with that passive so I'm quite sure it still works that way. If not that would be great
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Loot boxes dropping goofy things (including nirncrux'd stuff)? Immediate response. Still waiting for any reaction to this fiasco, and it's been about a month.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tested it at the end of the last PTS week and it worked that way. Not 100% sure it carried over to live since I weren't able to test it after the change yet. But they didn't change anything with that passive so I'm quite sure it still works that way. If not that would be great

This is bad :( though we are outta of stealth gameplay anyway.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    I did not think I would miss the Stealth perk, but now that I have had a chance to play after the patch went live, I realize just how badly I miss it.

Yes, it's definitely noticeable in some of the tighter corridors - off the top of my head I'm thinking the public dungeon in Summerset. There is that narrow pathway with the annoying chameleons - that yes, I could totally kill in two shots, but it's faster to slip past them and just grab the things I needed for the daily. The daily that is the only way to get Calunda Lacquer to make either Alinor Furnishings or Gold - depending on how you roll.

I'll survive, my Bosmer is not "unplayable" but it does impact my gameplay. So - feh.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Never totally gone
    Just decided to enjoy the game instead of watching you people wail and flail

And yet you remain.

As I said, I am never totally gone.

Thanks for bumping my thread, keep up the good work!
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's even worse than I thought. Ouch. That makes it so Bosmer shouldn't even bother sneaking since they're more easily detected than other races.
    Edited by Arato on February 26, 2019 5:22PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there is two interesting polls on the Forums which I am guess everyone here has seen?

The first is here.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/460525/what-will-be-your-main-race-after-the-launch-of-u21-wrathstone/p1

What will be your main race after the launch of U21 Wrathstone?

As of today (Feb 26, 2019) of the ten races Bosmer's are sitting at 4%. Just ahead of Redguard for last place. (Why Redguads are polling so low is beyond me.)

So of 393 votes only 17 (or 4%) voted for Bosmers as their main.

And then there is this poll;

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/460648/which-of-the-racial-changes-do-you-dislike-the-most#latest

Which of the racial changes do you dislike the most?

As of today (Feb 26, 2019) of the ten races Bosmer's are sitting in first place at 30%! Followed by Altmer's at 24%.

435 votes, 133 votes for Bosmer.

So at least our bosmer's will be unique! /sigh
This discussion has been closed.