The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Combat Team News and Updates

• Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope we wont see nerfs anymore.

I want to see buffs to underperforming skills/sets not nerfs to overperforming things.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gnozo wrote: »
    I just hope we wont see nerfs anymore.

I want to see buffs to underperforming skills/sets not nerfs to overperforming things.

I hope you will not see this. Doing it that way is just bad. There needs to be a baseline, with buffs and nerfs when something gets too far from it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    MakoFore wrote: »
    Gilliam has long banged the drum for additive rather than multiplative modifiers for skills, race, gear and skills - look at any of his class breakdown videos- saying that a lot of the balance issues were related to multiplicative approacehs- which lead to unwieldy numbers - . whilst wrobel was steadfast in his approach to percentage based modifiers. the fact that we now have race changes with flat stats- wrobel leaving- is a sign of gilliam's influence in combat approach now.

I just hope they don't go for a super balanced approach. I would rather everything be really good and have counters and a skill gap vs lowering the skill gap to make everything balanced and boring. They did the same with Destiny 2 to make it MLG certified and the game was terrible at launch.
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Whoa, That wasn't expected.

All the best to Wrobel. He was a great laugh and I will forever remember him as the guy who did a combat roll off the ESO Live set.

I'd like to see that! Do you have a link to the video?
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Wrobel! And good luck! Welcome Wheeler!
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Announcement sounds very blunt. I hope Wrobel is really doing what he wants, or will very soon. Good luck Eric !
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to your Eric in your future endeavors! I wish you the best!

Now, now... Mr. Wheeler ... welcome to the hot seat! (In all seriousness, welcome to the Combat Team! Hopefully we will all be hearing from you quite soon on the forums :smile: )

-Your buddy Vanthras!
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, who has Wheeler's old job?
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I wish the new guy luck...with hopes he can apply some needed first aid to the hemorrhaging cynicism around here.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brian is the best name ever, and I have some Wheelers on the moms side. I approve of this message.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    How come Gill didnt get a promotion

Probably because he's been with the studio for less than a year. I do hope we get to see a combat system designed by Gil at some point in the future, but expecting him to be given Eric's position, less than a year after he joined the company is a bit unrealistic.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We will see.

Although ill be honest, i don;t think it will make much of a difference, because at the end of the day it's the higher ups who make the decisions, and i do not think they want to spend the money to actually improve the game, so i expect nerfs over time, and then maybe when the game is almost deserted, they will change something, but it will probably be too late.
    Edited by JinMori on January 21, 2019 9:45PM
  • Svidrir
    Svidrir
    ✭✭✭
    Brian i want a Thane with my sorc !!
    Ulaan Baator sorcier bdsm
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Svidrir wrote: »

I want shields (and heals) that work as reliably in lag as dodge roll does ... b/c let's not kid ourselves, the lag is going nowhere!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What?
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Svidrir
    Svidrir
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

What?

Thane : Class of DAOC https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/class-library-thane

You use weapon and lithning

And no is not possible in teso (I'm sure someone will come and say you can already do it but it's wrong)
    Edited by Svidrir on January 25, 2019 10:04AM
    Ulaan Baator sorcier bdsm
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, can't be sure that he's personally responcible for such things as first 60% than 30% cost poisons, sload, instant procsets before, premade vs randoms in battlegrounds, old version of rune cage etc.
    But that all was during his lead and was extremly unprofessional and bad for gameplay.
    And thats why I definitely like news here.

P.s: Also to be fair, eso got also many improvements, sometimes based on experience from that mistakes, so best wishes from me
    Edited by Anethum on January 29, 2019 11:58AM
    @Anethum from .ua
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm still wondering where is @ZOS_RobGarrett ?
    I remember he was communicative and in-charge of the ESO's gameplay design, he posted only once lately.

It will be appreciated if ZOS will be more clear on how their organization structuring works so it will be less confusing.
    Simply adding a special list on forum with all current top tier ZOS employees job titles and names.
    Example:
    @ZOS_RichLambert - Creative Director
    @ZOS_GinaBruno - ESO Community Manager
    etc.
    Thanks! :)
    Edited by Universe on January 29, 2019 12:15PM
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Universe wrote: »
    I remember he was communicative and in-charge of the ESO's gameplay design, he posted only once lately.

It is still an increase over the last two people who had his job. Many people don't even know the names of his predecessors, so he at least has that going for him.

The devs always head into the forum with good intentions, and it is sad that so often is it is also the last time we hear from them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Universe wrote: »

It is still an increase over the last two people who had his job. Many people don't even know the names of his predecessors, so he at least has that going for him.

The devs always head into the forum with good intentions, and it is sad that so often is it is also the last time we hear from them.

Yes I wish they would have posted more often or at the very least the community would have known how exactly ZOS is structured.
    Though I imagine most of them are already very busy with actually working on code/game design or attending board meetings etc.
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to Eric for hard work to make ESO better game. We as a player base had often completely different vision of what game balance needed, both sides had good and bad ideas, it doesn't matter now. Nevertheless Eric's decisions was sometimes controversial to say at least, I think we all can appreciate his time and effort spent to improve this game, so best wishes for you Eric, good luck and who knows? Maybe we'll meet again in some other virtual worlds!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people leave and join companies all the time. It's not big deal. In fact, the sole fact that so many people of the original staff are still working for ZOS proves it's more than health in that department.

As to why someone like Eric Wrobel would decide to leave ESO and take on another challenge ? It can be as simple as for instance him finally being fed up with having to deal on a daily basis with the idiots on these forums criticizing his game design choices when those people don't even have the first clue about it...

;)
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »
    It was a thankless job, let's be honest. One with probably insurmountable expectations coming in from all directions and literally no feasible way to please everyone. Wrobel has been this community's scapegoat for anything they don't like for years and that just has to weigh on a person, and a team, and that is regrettable. The two realities here are this.

1) Players praised the overall combat in this game.
    2) Players demonized the combat lead.

So it's actually kindof interesting albeit it sad in retrospect that only now can we infer that Wrobel as combat lead probably spearheaded, organized, worked on and oversaw a large amount of the combat that we love. The man we loved to hate literally helped create, maintain and nourish a world we love. There is a really sick irony in that.

Wherever he goes in life from here, I hope he takes a solid lesson home from this. Sometimes, you just can't please your target demographic on the surface, but you can bring them joy despite it being from a place they can't see. Overall, you still succeed but at great detriment to yourself.This entire game owes you a thank you, and only now can we ponder on that a little bit and realize- we kinda did you dirty. Despite us being spoiled children who criticized everything you did, you still showed up to work for us, for years, and that's a level of selflessness and strength that deserves to be commended. I wish you the best.

Jules, community demonized him because of certain things he added to the game without enouch good understanding what it will done to the gameplay in general.
    Team with him done much i think. But with more game-involved lead they could do x2 or x4.
    Such things as cost poisons or instant procsets or ranged unavoidable in any way rune cage for example in nearest past.. (i'm happy all 3 things are fixed at least after many years of asking that from the community)...it's terrible to exist in eso for a years.

P.s: When you come to the doctor you want to understand that he is a professional and not a student and will definitely help u instead of learning on u. I try here be not tolerant or offencive or any something like, just objective. Everything had a reason.
    Edited by Anethum on February 3, 2019 6:16PM
    @Anethum from .ua
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legitimate question..Did Wrobel leave the company (or forced to leave - no need to acknowledge) because he was unwilling/unable to to do the job requested of him without personal bias or becuase the company refused to implement any ideas based on the feedback he received from the community.

There is a poll on whether "Key" ZOS Team members leaving is good or bad for the game long-term.
    Personally, seeing how ESO has been progressing rapidly towards the PVE market - New zones, new housing, new trials, dungeon performance fixes, etc. I don't think, for us PVP community, that any existing or future employee will be able to effect real positive change on the current game's state because the company is unwilling to allocate any form of future investment to Cyrodiil large-scale PVP, unless it can benefit them financially.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think, for us PVP community, that any existing or future employee will be able to effect real positive change on the current game's state because the company is unwilling to allocate any form of future investment to Cyrodiil large-scale PVP, unless it can benefit them financially.
    They just pulled the lead PvP designer and re-assigned his role. Cyrodiil will likely become abandonware.

Which is a shame because I really believe ESO PvP is a unique experience for console players. There simply isn't another game that provides the massive battles that ESO does on console. It's amazing (when it's given some love and works as intended). I sense a lost opportunity there.

PS4NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legitimate question..Did Wrobel leave the company (or forced to leave - no need to acknowledge) because he was unwilling/unable to to do the job requested of him without personal bias or becuase the company refused to implement any ideas based on the feedback he received from the community.

There is a poll on whether "Key" ZOS Team members leaving is good or bad for the game long-term.
    Personally, seeing how ESO has been progressing rapidly towards the PVE market - New zones, new housing, new trials, dungeon performance fixes, etc. I don't think, for us PVP community, that any existing or future employee will be able to effect real positive change on the current game's state because the company is unwilling to allocate any form of future investment to Cyrodiil large-scale PVP, unless it can benefit them financially.

that's between ZOS and Wrobel. Lots of people leave jobs they want to pursue bigger challenges while also some people leave jobs because their company replaced them with cheaper workers.

either way that's between the company and Wrobel. I wouldn't look into it any further, and definitely not judge his future employment based on ESO.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Villaine
    Villaine
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO, Mr. Weaver.

Witch Elves, please. ;)
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

that's between ZOS and Wrobel. Lots of people leave jobs they want to pursue bigger challenges while also some people leave jobs because their company replaced them with cheaper workers.

either way that's between the company and Wrobel. I wouldn't look into it any further, and definitely not judge his future employment based on ESO.

I was not writing with intention of requesting specific information from ZOS regarding Wrobel's departure. Merely, I was hypthetically asking if ZOS intends on ramping up PVP performance with his absence. Since PVP performance has become atrocious, update after update, and the community has exhausted many times over pleas for an official statement on the subject that outlines any plan for the future of ESO PVP performance that has still to-date gone unanswered, is this a turning point where we can expect substantial improvement?

All I am saying is that ESO has lost a good handful of experienced "elite" customers that basically give free publicity via twitch, youtube etc. for this game and are now losing prominent lead employees for what reasons...It's not far off that many of the community members are just waiting for something to replace ESO because ZOS is not providing any substantial reason to continue investing in their game (for long-term subscribers mainly) other than "waiting out a better alternative".
  • Aurelius1984
    Aurelius1984
    Soul Shriven
    Not gonna lie, I'm a bit concerned with the recent patch notes and some of the changes, that being said I know sometimes you have to go back to go forward and I look forward to seeing the direction things are going to go and looking forward to a stronger game over all! Good luck in your new role and look forward to the future.
This discussion has been closed.