The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Jabs are actually considered as mosquito bite. The lol skill in pvp...
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like performance is a hot topic right now, lots of youtubers and streamers are currently doing videos about that.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Looks like performance is a hot topic right now, lots of youtubers and streamers are currently doing videos about that.

Rightfully so. When most of the bugs that cannot be reproduced because ZOS isnt seeing the perspective from the player during 6pm-10pm most timezones, it leaves the forums cluttered with "ability sucks we can't hit with it" or "why won't my pots fire off or ultimates?" feedback that they can't test.

But the game probably needs a UI refresh/redesign (like guild roster bug causing performance issues), bot protection review/removed, and additional checks on abilities dropped/proc sets removed.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oceanic players have long dealt with lag with pings of 250+. But even with, our time zone tends to be fairly playable. Population definitely plays a role in this as we are anywhere from 2 bars to 3 bars. Group sizes also rarely go above 16 players. We can even have upwards of 50v50 at a keep and still enjoy.

But if I log into NA prime time, I can barely play at all. Jabs will only hit maybe once out of the four. Wall of elements won’t even fire. And if a full two raids of a faction show up, you can just feel the lag spikes hitting.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Oceanic players have long dealt with lag with pings of 250+. But even with, our time zone tends to be fairly playable. Population definitely plays a role in this as we are anywhere from 2 bars to 3 bars. Group sizes also rarely go above 16 players. We can even have upwards of 50v50 at a keep and still enjoy.

But if I log into NA prime time, I can barely play at all. Jabs will only hit maybe once out of the four. Wall of elements won’t even fire. And if a full two raids of a faction show up, you can just feel the lag spikes hitting.

I know I know, but in the last few weeks many streamers and youtubers put up videos about it, which was interesting.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I know, but in the last few weeks many streamers and youtubers put up videos about it, which was interesting.

Try saying to ZoS that Total Dark shoudn't reflect dots.
    That should fix the skill overall
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

Try saying to ZoS that Total Dark shoudn't reflect dots.
    That should fix the skill overall

It doesnt. It only reflect the initial hit of dots which are technically direct dmg portions anyway.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 2!?!

1. Ultimates. Remembrance is far too similar to praticed incarnation and neither 1 helps out a stamplar. Solar disturbance is almost the same thing as nova and again neither 1 helps out a stamplar. There are times where the synergy from nova is used but i have no idea of a scenario where solar disturbance is preferred especially over a destro ultimate. Aedric spear is pretty decent but its range is very small. I often miss with this ultimate or have to sit on it until i have an opponent in range. As we all know in critical scenarios its important to optimize ultimate use. My wish for this is to either see its range slightly increased soo i am able to reliably fire this off or have it tiered soo if im stuck holding onto my ultimate i can feel better knowing that i am doing it for more than just a range reason.

2. Healing ritual is too expensive for an instant heal with such a small radius. Templars have 2 instant heal spells in rushed ceremony and healing ritual and neither 1 of them helps out a stamplar. For a group that is gonna stack on the crown most healers would prefer overhealing with HoTs like stacking grand healing. Its much cheaper and can be done from 28 meters away.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on January 3, 2019 4:28PM
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I know, but in the last few weeks many streamers and YouTubers put up videos about it, which was interesting.

It almost seems as if ZOS has turned off a portion of the server, causing mass disruption on the ability to keep up with performance to the end user. I have not been on in almost a week now, but I have been noticing more and more complaints regarding this issue via Facebook ESO Groups, YouTube videos and streams. There are a few threads open asking questions about the server performance drop, which started the week of Christmas 2018 and has progressively been getting worse each day since the new year. Still no official response has been given by ZOS as to the diminished server performance, mainly PVP Vivec across all platforms NA, but also has been affecting PVE as well. I have even noticed severe loading periods getting in to my inventory which is not normally this bad...

Again, back to Templars - I main a Stamina Templar and my biggest issue is Jabs. Jabs are weak in damage compared to all other class spammables (I have listed estimated tool tips in previous comment), inaccurate for hit rates against enemy players - tested against players in motion and standing still in PVP campaign.
    Suggestion: Change Jabs to a NON-channel Single Target attack with splash damage. This will allow the spammable to be animation cancelled, bypass the new Major Evasion and easier to target players.

Second pain point (Stamina Templar PVP) is lack of ranged abilities. Using a Bow IS an option, Javelin IS an option. However, what I mean is that there is no versatility to range with Stamplar, and even more concerning is the lack of mobility now due to the speed nerfs. Using DW is the preferred option for Stamplar, which has NO gap closer and Hidden Blade (+Morphs) is an option but not optimal because it seems to lack in accuracy same as Jabs - Maybe this is just me...Running DW front bar REQUIRES 2H back bar for major brutality; this throws out the option of a Bow back bar. Also, running DW/Bow loses out on a gap closer because the only Templar gap closer is Magicka-based. Maybe change a morph of Shards to hit with AOE javelins that are Stamina based for damage output versus resources/healing? Add a stamina based morph of charge?

Everyone wants to compare classes and say "We can't make them too similar, but they have to be balanced to play multiple roles..." This is a complete oxymoron statement from ZOS...In MY opinion, for what it's worth, NB's have a legit spammable that is exceptionally high damage with great utility for both Magicka (Movement Speed in Stealth) and Stamina (Major Fracture) versions, have a gap closer (while very buggy) with great utility for both Magicka (Snare + DoT) and Stamina (Major Empower - great for weaving), execute with great utility for both Magicka (Ranged) and Stamina (Heal and Disease damage gives chance to defile) versions, and a ranged attack that gives Minor Berserk as a base and does an INSANE amount of damage with utility for yes, BOTH Magicka (Increased Damage) and Stamina (Disease damage and Major Endurance) based versions...
  • Thanatos_inside
    Thanatos_inside
    ✭✭✭
    Templar slow down too much. Sometimes it`s impossible to even come closer. Zos should remove it from aoe.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar slow down too much. Sometimes it`s impossible to even come closer. Zos should remove it from aoe.

No way. Templars don't have much ability to do large bursts of damage. My whole experience as a templar has been learning to debuff the opponent enough and plan to win the war of attrition. I can't go into a fight thinking I can end it quickly. It just doesn't work for me at least. Other classes can buff up their offense, Templars have to debuff the opponent.

EDIT: Maybe I misread your comment. Did you mean Templars are too slow or that they slow down opponents too much?
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 8, 2019 6:18PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No way. Templars don't have much ability to do large bursts of damage. My whole experience as a templar has been learning to debuff the opponent enough and plan to win the war of attrition. I can't go into a fight thinking I can end it quickly. It just doesn't work for me at least. Other classes can buff up their offense, Templars have to debuff the opponent.

EDIT: Maybe I misread your comment. Did you mean Templars are too slow or that they slow down opponents too much?

He means the snare off extended ritual.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

He means the snare off extended ritual.

I use extended rit and often don't even notice other players slowing down from it. However when I am against a templar and get inside the ritual I feel like molasses.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templars need stamina perks or better passives for stamina right now. The problem is that defensive maneuvers like blocking, dodge rolling, and breaking free deplete the stamina reserves extremely quickly. Unless ESO wants all magicka templar to switch to heavy armor for the necessary resistances light armor will be done for. I have legendary quality light armor on and even with the rune buff it doesn't do me any good if I can't move at all. I'm just a sitting duck. It's to the point that I don't even bother blocking anymore. I'm just trying to heal through the incoming damage because blocking kills any possibility to break free.

I forgot to mention that while I'm CC'd, not only is my stamina depleted but I'm draining my magicka trying to heal through the damage long enough to break free, which rarely works out.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 9, 2019 3:24PM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templars need stamina perks or better passives for stamina right now. The problem is that defensive maneuvers like blocking, dodge rolling, and breaking free deplete the stamina reserves extremely quickly. Unless ESO wants all magicka templar to switch to heavy armor for the necessary resistances light armor will be done for. I have legendary quality light armor on and even with the rune buff it doesn't do me any good if I can't move at all. I'm just a sitting duck. It's to the point that I don't even bother blocking anymore. I'm just trying to heal through the incoming damage because blocking kills any possibility to break free.

Well I think this might be a build problem. Even on magicka characters blocking is a powerful defense tool, if you want it as such. Magicka characters with a heal staff backbar, like all these magsorcs and mablade builds, do not block much, maybe some hard hitting abilities, but normally rather save their stamina for dodging and breaking free. The same goes for magicka templars. But with a backbar weapon like sword and shield or an ice staff, blocking does not eat up stamina as quickly, which results in blocking being an easy available defensive resource. As a templar, you even have several skills, which can help out to restore stamina outside of heavy attacking. Restoring focus can be used as a stamina restore skill, which restores 240 stamina per second or equal to 480 stamina recovery, even while blocking. Additionally repentance gives a big load of stamina back, if there are some corpses available to repent.

Otherwise I highly recommend the use of protective jewelry or monsterset pieces, which provide additional resistances like chudan, lord warden or pirate skeleton.

But you might be on spot, that templars are generally a slow class. Still there are sources available for templars to move: Extended ritual can remove snares, also mist form is a very frequently used skill by lot of templars to access some escaping tools. Otherwise forward momentum is quite a viable choice to remove snares too. Also with the psychic skill line, everyone has access to a cheap magicka expedition buff, which also reduces sprint costs.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think this might be a build problem. Even on magicka characters blocking is a powerful defense tool, if you want it as such. Magicka characters with a heal staff backbar, like all these magsorcs and mablade builds, do not block much, maybe some hard hitting abilities, but normally rather save their stamina for dodging and breaking free. The same goes for magicka templars. But with a backbar weapon like sword and shield or an ice staff, blocking does not eat up stamina as quickly, which results in blocking being an easy available defensive resource. As a templar, you even have several skills, which can help out to restore stamina outside of heavy attacking. Restoring focus can be used as a stamina restore skill, which restores 240 stamina per second or equal to 480 stamina recovery, even while blocking. Additionally repentance gives a big load of stamina back, if there are some corpses available to repent.

Otherwise I highly recommend the use of protective jewelry or monsterset pieces, which provide additional resistances like chudan, lord warden or pirate skeleton.

But you might be on spot, that templars are generally a slow class. Still there are sources available for templars to move: Extended ritual can remove snares, also mist form is a very frequently used skill by lot of templars to access some escaping tools. Otherwise forward momentum is quite a viable choice to remove snares too. Also with the psychic skill line, everyone has access to a cheap magicka expedition buff, which also reduces sprint costs.

I have sword and shield on the front with all the perks. Restoration on the back with defending trait.
    I have a protective necklace.
    I also wear two pieces of fortified brass and my restoration staff is fortified brass giving me additional health and resistance for when I'm CC'd.
    I also have one psijic skill, race against time to improve my mobility, on that bar which has a perk that gives me an additional damage shield when blocking.
    My three pieces of Innate Axiom gives me about 1020 additional stamina.

Mind you, blocking is a last resort. It so happens that when I get CC'd, which is basically when anyone even looks at me, I either spend the stamina breaking free or blockcasting my heals trying to stay alive. But it really feels like I'm delaying the inevitable in those situations.

I don't want to be a vampire. That kind of ruins being a templar.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 9, 2019 4:19PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eclipse procing on dks spiked armor is amazing though.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To piggy back off this, for stamina cost, battlefield acrobat isnt a bad set. The 5pc cost reduction works for your mag abilities/ultimates and the stam/stam regen is enough to get you closer to the values you see while having amberplasm slotted (assuming you have your mag regen in a decent place). Going to be running it, especially with resto ultimate.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

To piggy back off this, for stamina cost, battlefield acrobat isnt a bad set. The 5pc cost reduction works for your mag abilities/ultimates and the stam/stam regen is enough to get you closer to the values you see while having amberplasm slotted (assuming you have your mag regen in a decent place). Going to be running it, especially with resto ultimate.

Uh yeah Battlefield Acrobat is fantastic, I love it. It also applies to block, roll, sprint, and break free. It's my favorite BG set option right now.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man when they don't break that bubble it really drops then fast lol.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    zos couldn't dev their way out of a room without walls
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread but think it would really help not just magicka templars but all magicka builds

Have light armour 5 piece passive so when worn level 1 breakfree costs from stamina negated 50% by magicka cost, level 2 breakfree cost from stamina is nagated 100% by magicka.

I also think

That speed should be set to 100% and for each item added a percentage is deducted

Light deducts 1%
    Medium deducts 3%
    Heavy deducts 5%

And jumping should cost stamina equal to that of a roll dodge

Then make the passives from the ice staff damage orientated so frost mages can be more effective
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing, the Rune encourages the Templar to stay in one place. That's fine for the benefit of restoring magicka but asking a light armor user to stand in one place like they're a tank in heavy armor is absurd. The Templar needs to be mobile, especially since DPS is so low and. Have the full resistance buff remain outside of the rune.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread but think it would really help not just magicka templars but all magicka builds

Have light armour 5 piece passive so when worn level 1 breakfree costs from stamina negated 50% by magicka cost, level 2 breakfree cost from stamina is nagated 100% by magicka.

I also think

That speed should be set to 100% and for each item added a percentage is deducted

Light deducts 1%
    Medium deducts 3%
    Heavy deducts 5%

And jumping should cost stamina equal to that of a roll dodge

Then make the passives from the ice staff damage orientated so frost mages can be more effective

Yes, tanks should be slower but resistant to knock backs. It only makes sense.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

Uh yeah Battlefield Acrobat is fantastic, I love it. It also applies to block, roll, sprint, and break free. It's my favorite BG set option right now.

yea I cant wait to use it!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eclipse leading to selfdestroying sorcs was epic tho... well, those times are gone. ;)

As for mobility... templars aren't fast by design, but (at least for stamplars) the major defence sticking to character is indeed very helpfull in regards of moving while having some protection.

With murkmire, i actually wanted to switch back to heavy, pair it with DW and enjoy damage + resistance... but I never found time to do so. Medium works fine in PVE and PVP ... at least thats what i think of the little time i had to play. Lets see how the reduced potion and (if I get that correctly) the planned reduced effect from new evasion will play out. (It is going to get a shorter uptime, right? Not sure whats the use of nerfing the new special of medium armor to the ground tho).
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »

Eclipse leading to selfdestroying sorcs was epic tho... well, those times are gone. ;)

As for mobility... templars aren't fast by design, but (at least for stamplars) the major defence sticking to character is indeed very helpfull in regards of moving while having some protection.

With murkmire, i actually wanted to switch back to heavy, pair it with DW and enjoy damage + resistance... but I never found time to do so. Medium works fine in PVE and PVP ... at least thats what i think of the little time i had to play. Lets see how the reduced potion and (if I get that correctly) the planned reduced effect from new evasion will play out. (It is going to get a shorter uptime, right? Not sure whats the use of nerfing the new special of medium armor to the ground tho).

is evasion going to become not borderline useless? sweet
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think alteration mastery is the better fit here, since its actually a magicka set and still provides the 6% cost redution for everything. At least it will be the better fit, if you are not running some special build like you ;)

I have sword and shield on the front with all the perks. Restoration on the back with defending trait.
    I have a protective necklace.
    I also wear two pieces of fortified brass and my restoration staff is fortified brass giving me additional health and resistance for when I'm CC'd.
    I also have one psijic skill, race against time to improve my mobility, on that bar which has a perk that gives me an additional damage shield when blocking.
    My three pieces of Innate Axiom gives me about 1020 additional stamina.

Mind you, blocking is a last resort. It so happens that when I get CC'd, which is basically when anyone even looks at me, I either spend the stamina breaking free or blockcasting my heals trying to stay alive. But it really feels like I'm delaying the inevitable in those situations.

I don't want to be a vampire. That kind of ruins being a templar.

@StarOfElyon
    I would like to know more about your build, since it looks somehow suboptimal, if you wear several non-complete sets (at least it sounds like you do).

Also the rune focus may have benefits, when you stand in it, but is nowhere near a restriction to your mobility. Rune cage provides the normal resistance buff and the sustain buff regardless if you stand in it or not. The benefit of staying inside of the rune is rather small, so I recommend using it like the resistance buffs on other classes: cast it and move on.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos 5 pieces on body.
    Fortified Brass 2 pieces on body (the restoration staff on back makes 4)
    Innate Axiom 3 pieces of jewelry (two weapons on front makes 5)

So on offense I have two five piece bonuses
    On defense I have only the Julianos 5 piece bonus but I still have the extra stamina from the 3 pieces of Innate Axiom jewelry
    and the extra physical and spell resistance from 4 pieces of the fortified brass set.

Since I use mostly class skills, I do fine on offense. Not great but not bad. It's being too squishy in light armor and being forced to break free every other move that's killing me. Full body Light armor is just not working. Even when I used the light armor shield with the restoring focus rune, it didn't help when every couple of seconds I had to recast the shield. And not only that but I was wasting two slots when all I should need is one.

Imagine forcing stamina players to use magicka to break free. They wouldn't like it being used so much. Once you break free with stamina as a magicka player, there goes your blocking, dodge rolling, and overall mobility. You can't even run away. It's abused because it works.

The problem is not being able to put more into offense because I have to worry about defense. Medium and heavy armor players don't seem to have that issue. Fix our shields or something ZOS. Buff Restoring Focus. Do you want everyone in medium or heavy armor?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Channeled Focus needs to be buffed up big time with a bonus for full-body light armor wearers.