The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I look at the healing issue differently. I think stamplar healing is appropriate and in a good spot; IMO the other stam classes have too much self healing (especially Warden).
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    In the recent feedback I got from various players people state, that magicka templars are in a great spot and by far not a weak class. For solo PvP, they are not the best class, but also not the worst. A lot of people actually fear, that further buffs to templar will lead to overbuffing it and therefore soon will receive nerfs again. Also there already were "nerf templar (magplar) threads around in the forum.

About lag and its connection to templars: yeah templar is a bit more affected by lag, since all the channels are horrible to use in bad server performance. Channels gets longer and jabs are not worth to cast it. But this will not change, if not the skill itself changes to a non.cast-time ability (which actually would change it a lot and lots of people are actually happy with this theme of channeling several spear strikes).

Light armor templar is not unplayable solo. I do not want to sound superior or whatever, but I play my magplar in solo PvP in light armor and perform well.

For @StarOfElyon I strongly recommend a heavy armor build for the beginning. It is easier to survive thanks to better resistances and to better stamina sustain via constitution.

I recommend using a build similar to this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=90748
    In this build shacklebreaker can be swapped with inate axiom, transmutation with something like wizards riposte, alteration mastery or lich and the monsterset can be exchanged as you wish (I recommend skoria or bloodspawn (helps out with stamina sustain) here, pirate skeleton would make you tanky). Skills can be exchanged as you like.

Btw Joys thread was posted before the rep program started and since then templar received many nice buffs. It is currently in a good spot compared to the others. Sure there would be many fixes to passives and skills, which would improve them without being useless, but also that would make the class far to strong in the current situation (if all of them would be fixed).

This is not me arguing with you about Magplars being in a good place. But isn't being a vampire kind of considered a must for templar? I thought of Templars as being synergetic with the Fighters Guild. Kind of feels anti-thetical to Templars for one to be a vampire. But anyway, the need to be a vampire shows that there is a glaring weakness that couldn't hurt to be resolved so that people wouldn't feel compelled to become vampires, right?
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're right @StarOfElyon in that magplars are kind of forced to be vampires in PvP because of one glaring weakness in the class kit: lack of mobility.

Which is why I really hope ZOS gives all classes, mag and stam, access to snare immunity so the current 'argonian vamplar' meta can die once and for all.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ccmedaddy, I think I also see the limits of light armor finally. I got the pirate's helmet and one Lord Warden's shoulder piece but people still cut through me like string cheese. Heavy it is.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes templars weakness is the lack of mobility. But currently every class has some kind of weakness and if every class has no weaknesses, then where is the factor of choice.

There are two or three solutions to the mobility of magplars at the moment:
    - being a vampire and using mist form
    - using a 2h weapon with forward momentum and race with time
    - not using a 2h weapon, but using race with time and extended ritual.

I am not sure, if it is a good design to provide snare immunity to templars and if, what skill would that be? Bar space is mostly crowded anyway. But wouldnt templars just have it all, when they also would get mobility?

@StarOfElyon
    If you feel very sqishy, then you need to look at all mitigation sources you have. Only having high resistances is not everything. Surely you need to have a look at the cps too. In the end, new players always seem to be squishy and experienced players somehow can kill them within seconds. This is mostly based on the inexperience of the new players, how and when to avoid damage. Moving behind obstacles is a good way to decrease incoming damage. Also dodging or blocking the big hits like an uppercut, a snipe or an ultimate is important. Also adequate healing up adds to your squishiness.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to bring up Nova again in a comparison to permafrost in that it seems off that one follows the caster so that it can be kept on an enemy AND has a super strong snare into a stun, while the other is static on the ground and can easily be moved out of. Then the one that is harder to get targets hit by is more expensive. They have similar damage and damage reduction capabilities with one being way more practical and the other having a synergy
    Edited by technohic on January 14, 2019 6:47PM
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes templars weakness is the lack of mobility. But currently every class has some kind of weakness and if every class has no weaknesses, then where is the factor of choice.

There are two or three solutions to the mobility of magplars at the moment:
    - being a vampire and using mist form
    - using a 2h weapon with forward momentum and race with time
    - not using a 2h weapon, but using race with time and extended ritual.

I am not sure, if it is a good design to provide snare immunity to templars and if, what skill would that be? Bar space is mostly crowded anyway. But wouldnt templars just have it all, when they also would get mobility?
    Did the sky fall when DKs got snare removal? No. It's time to stop pretending every class shouldn't have the most basic form of mobility. NBs and Sorcs will always be more mobile than other classes and I'm ok with that. But no class should be pigeonholed into being a vampire just to be able to deal with snares and roots in open world PvP.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I am going to bring up Nova again in a comparison to permafrost in that it seems off that one follows the caster so that it can be kept on an enemy AND has a super strong snare into a stun, while the other is static on the ground and can easily be moved out of. Then the one that is harder to get targets hit by is more expensive. They have similar damage and damage reduction capabilities with one being way more practical and the other having a synergy

You know what would make me slot Nova? A really good passive bonus. But I still would never cast it at it's current price.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, Templars have a really bad choice between Ritual of Retribution and Extended Ritual. I would much rather have the extra cleanses from ER but I'm forced to slot RoR solely to counter cloaking nightblades. It's not worth it beyond that. But if it was also able to remove snares that would be great.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, Templars have a really bad choice between Ritual of Retribution and Extended Ritual. I would much rather have the extra cleanses from ER but I'm forced to slot RoR solely to counter cloaking nightblades. It's not worth it beyond that. But if it was also able to remove snares that would be great.

You don't need it. Shards/jabs is decent enough and things like wall of elements/grothdarr is better than giving up 3 debuff removal from extended.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

You don't need it. Shards/jabs is decent enough and things like wall of elements/grothdarr is better than giving up 3 debuff removal from extended.

Shards gets left out of the rotation for Unstable Core. I slot:

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

It's either the cleanse or shards, so the cleanse wins.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

To be honest, I miss the snare from Solar Disturbance. Does anyone use Solar disturbance now?

Same question, but does anyone still use Total Dark in pvp? I can't remember the last time I saw someone using it.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs doesn't work if I can't see the target
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Unstable Core, which is a morph of Eclipse. Without it, I don't have a shot. Solar Disturbance is a PVE only ultimate. The same goes for Rite of Passage. It makes zero sense in pvp.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

To be honest, I miss the snare from Solar Disturbance. Does anyone use Solar disturbance now?

Same question, but does anyone still use Total Dark in pvp? I can't remember the last time I saw someone using it.

Yes I do but it has to be used properly. Hit a fleeing opponent and you almost ensure their escape.

I only use when they are actively attacking me.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

both UC and purfying light can be applied on the NB and pulls them out after 4-6 seconds.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

both UC and purfying light can be applied on the NB and pulls them out after 4-6 seconds.

It's hard to apply it when they're cloaked. I've tried.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

The trick to reveal nbs by using unstable core or puryfying light is to be aware, that they go into cloak. So as soon as you see one apply puryfying light, then buff up and if you dont do damage in that time, just reapply it before it runs out. If the nb still uses cloak then, wait till unstable core or puryfying light reveals it again and reapply it immediately. Like this, you dont need ritual of retribution and can choose extended ritual, which also may purge snares, since it removes 5 effects. It is not optimal to deal with snares, but its at least away without going vampire.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplars breath of life block spam needs to change, sorcs got nerfed hard and magplars can still fill their health bar in seconds.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mcb123 wrote: »
    Magplars breath of life block spam needs to change, sorcs got nerfed hard and magplars can still fill their health bar in seconds.

First, don't know why you are posting in a Templar feedback thread if you are complaining about Sorcs. Post feedback in a Sorc thread if you're unhappy with it.

Second, I have seen some very capable Sorcs in pvp who still have massive shields and their health always seems full. If they can do it, I'm sure you can, too.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the comparison is somehow not accurate.
    Sorcs als can blockcast a 10k+ ward (which does not benefit from the blocking tough). Or since many sorcs now play with twilight matriarch as a healing source and also sword and board backbar instead of a healstaff...: You can blockcast the healing of the twilight pet the same way, which is quite comparable to breath of life (actually heals for more with enough of magicka, since it heals two targets and breath of life's secondary heal is rather low nowadays).
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorcs als can blockcast a 10k+ ward (which does not benefit from the blocking tough). Or since many sorcs now play with twilight matriarch as a healing source and also sword and board backbar instead of a healstaff...: You can blockcast the healing of the twilight pet the same way, which is quite comparable to breath of life (actually heals for more with enough of magicka, since it heals two targets and breath of life's secondary heal is rather low nowadays).

Sorcs has a better heal with twilight now than Templar have with BOL. Heals for more, 2nd target isn't a reduced heal and it's still 360 degrees vs. our 180.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Sorcs has a better heal with twilight now than Templar have with BOL. Heals for more, 2nd target isn't a reduced heal and it's still 360 degrees vs. our 180.

Isnt that, what I just wrote?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

The trick to reveal nbs by using unstable core or puryfying light is to be aware, that they go into cloak. So as soon as you see one apply puryfying light, then buff up and if you dont do damage in that time, just reapply it before it runs out. If the nb still uses cloak then, wait till unstable core or puryfying light reveals it again and reapply it immediately. Like this, you dont need ritual of retribution and can choose extended ritual, which also may purge snares, since it removes 5 effects. It is not optimal to deal with snares, but its at least away without going vampire.

Thing is, from my experience, when dealing with an organized group on battlegrounds, they'll assign the nightblade to keep me out of the battle. So as soon as I reenter the fight, the the nightblade is already cloaked and waiting for me. What I do is use RoR to bring them out of clock before they can get the jump on me. Nothing else works on an already cloaked nightblade.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

Thing is, from my experience, when dealing with an organized group on battlegrounds, they'll assign the nightblade to keep me out of the battle. So as soon as I reenter the fight, the the nightblade is already cloaked and waiting for me. What I do is use RoR to bring them out of clock before they can get the jump on me. Nothing else works on an already cloaked nightblade.

Also in that case I think extended ritual serves the better purpose. If you say, the nb is assigned to get you out of the fight as soon as you enters it, then situational awareness is probably your best friend: Knowing the enemy is around, being cautious and prepared to when he reveals himself. Especially if he attacks you right out of stealth, extended ritual helps a ton to remove strain on you (with purging 5 negative effects, you normally cleanse the major defile and the major vulnerability right off you). You even may be able to actually prevent his burst by being cautious and reacting on the visual and audio cues. As soon as you got the strain off of you, then you can mark the target with unstable core or puryfying light.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

How many hit points you running ?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

All 64 points in magicka.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

Also in that case I think extended ritual serves the better purpose. If you say, the nb is assigned to get you out of the fight as soon as you enters it, then situational awareness is probably your best friend: Knowing the enemy is around, being cautious and prepared to when he reveals himself. Especially if he attacks you right out of stealth, extended ritual helps a ton to remove strain on you (with purging 5 negative effects, you normally cleanse the major defile and the major vulnerability right off you). You even may be able to actually prevent his burst by being cautious and reacting on the visual and audio cues. As soon as you got the strain off of you, then you can mark the target with unstable core or puryfying light.

I'll work on using other means. I don't want to lose focus on my main point though, that is that RoR could be made to remove snares as well. I think that would make the morph worth it.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstable Core
    Purifying Light
    Ritual of Retribution
    Vampires Bane
    Puncturing Sweeps

Channeled Focus
    Race Against Time
    Honor the Dead
    Dark Flare
    Radiant Oppression

All 64 points in magicka.

Yeah but you still have health, right? Whats your health at? That's probably the more likely reason the NB comes for you.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember right now but nightblades haven't been much of a problem since I made sure to always slots RoR. I've killed many more of them than have me, and usually the ones that kill me end up getting saved by a teammate or they hit reverse while spamming poison arrows. Without RoR, I'm catching sneak attack combos.

I thought it might be because they thought I was an easy kill but I noticed that I only got focused like that when it was obvious that the other team was communicating. But I think my point is that right now, RoR only serves as a counter to cloak. I think it should also remove snares to make it more worthwhile.