The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what has been the response to this almost a year later:

Game has changed again since. The mobility nerf was really a boon for templars along with some QOL things added, and Joy is a class rep. Honestly; magplar is in a much better spot than that time and the best its been in 2 or 3 years. Maybe more depending on when you feel it was in its hay day. For me. That was just prior to shields being reduced by 50% by battle spirit when blazing shield didn't even require a health troll build so might be closer to 4. Others probably enjoyed when malubeth was a good set that synergized ridiculously well with templars.

Maybe that's where the disconnect is. You have a few really old time templars here and we've been through much worse.
    Edited by technohic on January 10, 2019 6:49PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've made it to CP430 (checked last night) since starting in September. I'm not doing this grind with another character. (I know I don't have to grind the CP points again but the skills still have to be grinded out again). It's MagPlar or bye to ESO for me. I have a day job and family to take care of.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 10, 2019 6:55PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've made it to CP430 (checked last night) since starting in September. I'm not doing this grind with another character. (I know I don't have to grind the CP points again but the skills still have to be grinded out again). It's MagPlar or bye to ESO for me. I have a day job and family to take care of.

I wouldnt give up. You're just going through growing pains it sounds like to me as it takes a while even if you were equal in CP as theres some mechanics that you will learn over time. I am assuming you do not have a monster set yet? Do you have your weapons golded out at least?

You are also putting yourself at a disadvantage by holding true to roleplay. There's nothing wrong with it, but you need to understand the limitations you are putting on yourself will not help when there is a lot to be had in the margins. I'd probably run your full 5 piece of the defensive set if I were you until I felt like I was surviving, then gradually go a little more glass as I learned to survive. Or run shacklebreaker with Julianos in 5 heavy so you get some stam and stam recovery. Guess I am saying going more of a glass build on a templar is going to be more advanced anyway, let alone short some Champion Points as you do not have the escapes of NB or Sorc even, nor really the tankiness of Warden and DK. Tanking up a bit will make learning a little easier.
    Edited by technohic on January 10, 2019 7:14PM
  • Dyngrin
    Dyngrin
    ✭✭✭
    StarOfElyon makes many good points so I would like to emphasize just a few of them. Besides the in-combat bug (still not fixed), my biggest complaints are as follows:

1. As others have said, lag effects some skills more than others. In particular, lag is added to the casting skills such as Dark Flare and Magicka Detonation rather than just being included in the casting time (poor design). So a lag of 1 second causes Dark Flare to take over 2 seconds (often 3 or 4 seconds). This gives the target time to break line of site or interrupt the caster so the cast fails. Skills with a cast time that require a target become unusable when there is any significant lag.

2. Although Defile and similar heal debuffs were supposedly addressed, they have become the rule rather than the exception. How can healing be balanced based on their non-debuffed values when in practice they usually land at a greatly reduced amount?

3. CC in ESO is currently in a horrible state. CC is difficult to balance because of how powerful it can be despite not being damage or healing. In ESO, there is way too much CC, some of that CC can be Broken Free (BF), some cannot be BF, while others can be chained (typically snares). Of those that can be BF, the delay in BF adds to the length of the CC depending on lag (why?) making them much more powerful than they appear on paper. ESO needs to learn from DAoC, CC should be rare but when used is powerful but consistent with CC immunity.

4. Speed, like CC, can be powerful even though it's neither damage nor healing. Groups now run with perma-speed and even oil siege doesn't slow them. This unbreakable speed combined with the easily stackable non-target AoEs has led to fast moving ball groups, a plague in PvP. They can run around in keeps that have been captured and are no longer burst for 10s of minutes because of their speed (so hard to target with casted spells or siege) and their simplistic stacked damage.

--Dyn
    Grand Overlord Dyngrin, Templar, Daggerfall Covenant (PC/NA)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I wouldnt give up. You're just going through growing pains it sounds like to me as it takes a while even if you were equal in CP as theres some mechanics that you will learn over time. I am assuming you do not have a monster set yet? Do you have your weapons golded out at least?

You are also putting yourself at a disadvantage by holding true to roleplay. There's nothing wrong with it, but you need to understand the limitations you are putting on yourself will not help when there is a lot to be had in the margins. I'd probably run your full 5 piece of the defensive set if I were you until I felt like I was surviving, then gradually go a little more glass as I learned to survive. Or run shacklebreaker with Julianos in 5 heavy so you get some stam and stam recovery. Guess I am saying going more of a glass build on a templar is going to be more advanced anyway, let alone short some Champion Points as you do not have the escapes of NB or Sorc even, nor really the tankiness of Warden and DK. Tanking up a bit will make learning a little easier.

I have my chest and legs legendary with legendary enchants on the head, body, and legs. My sword is legendary. My restoration staff would have been gold if I didn't lose a 75% chance to upgrade it (there went my rosin supply too).

I don't have monster sets yet but I don't think they will give me the reliable flat rate on spell damage or resistances that I'm looking for. In my experience as a Templar, I don't have the benefit throwing attacks out and hoping my bonuses kick in. I like to know what I'm getting out of everything so that I can strategize a little bit more. But I'm sticking with MagPlar because I think thematically it suits me and I like being able to support others when I want to. When playing support is all that I can do it's not any fun. But believe me, I'm trying to make it work. A few changes to light armor resistances and CC's would go a long way.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 10, 2019 8:19PM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my chest and legs legendary with legendary enchants on the head, body, and legs. My sword is legendary. My restoration staff would have been gold if I didn't lose a 75% chance to upgrade it (there went my rosin supply too).

I don't have monster sets yet but I don't think they will give me the reliable flat rate on spell damage or resistances that I'm looking for. In my experience as a Templar, I don't have the benefit throwing attacks out and hoping my bonuses kick in. I like to know what I'm getting out of everything so that I can strategize a little bit more. But I'm sticking with MagPlar because I think thematically it suits me and I like being able to support others when I want to. When playing support is all that I can do it's not any fun. But believe me, I'm trying to make it work. A few changes to light armor resistances and CC's would go a long way.

Monster helms will absolutely give you resistences and damage your looking for man you go with big damage mitigation like pirate skelly or burst damage with skoria you can also mix with one pirate skelly one Kenna for resistence and damage.

Get some helms and shoulders they will improve any type of build your going for a lot.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Monster helms will absolutely give you resistences and damage your looking for man you go with big damage mitigation like pirate skelly or burst damage with skoria you can also mix with one pirate skelly one Kenna for resistence and damage.

Get some helms and shoulders they will improve any type of build your going for a lot.

The problem is that right now the full set of Julianos is giving me 299 spell damage and the full set of Innate Axiom is adding 400 spell damage to my class abilities. So that's a constant 699 total unbuffed, without any spell damage enchants on my jewelry. I will have to look at the monster sets to see if they are worth losing my stable damage output.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 10, 2019 9:18PM
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that right now the full set of Julianos is giving me 299 spell damage and the full set of Innate Axiom is adding 400 spell damage to my class abilities. So that's a constant 699 total unbuffed, without any spell damage enchants on my jewelry. I will have to look at the monster sets to see if they are worth losing my stable damage output.

You can run 2 full 5 piece sets and have a monster helm and shoulders so can run innate and juli plus a full monster set.

With two damage sets like that you could either go for even more damage or go for survivability or even more regen there are tons of options you just have to go get them.
    Edited by Mrsinister2 on January 10, 2019 9:57PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can run 2 full 5 piece sets and have a monster helm and shoulders so can run innate and juli plus a full monster set.

With two damage sets like that you could either go for even more damage or go for survivability or even more regen there are tons of options you just have to go get them.

Alright. I'm sold on the monster sets. I'm going for one piece of two sets. The matching set bonuses don't seem to be worth the trouble. It looks like the helms are going to be hard though. I have to do vet dungeons for that and the last time I did a vet dungeon (by accident) the final boss murdered me. :P

(on second thought, the Mighty Chudan matching set might be worth it)
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 10, 2019 11:21PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright. I'm sold on the monster sets. I'm going for one piece of two sets. The matching set bonuses don't seem to be worth the trouble. It looks like the helms are going to be hard though. I have to do vet dungeons for that and the last time I did a vet dungeon (by accident) the final boss murdered me. :P

It will not stack with your channel focus armor bonus. Just so you know.

Also, the double AP event is on and you can get this stuff in the armor and impen trait for 200k each on the Golden vendor. Usually that the vendor is only there on weekends with random stock but seems like they usually have it daily with rotating stock during these events at times.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, the double AP event is on and you can get this stuff in the armor and impen trait for 200k each on the Golden vendor. Usually that the vendor is only there on weekends with random stock but seems like they usually have it daily with rotating stock during these events at times.

If I got non-matching pieces would it stack then?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I mean is the 2 piece bonus of Chudan. Major Ward and Major resolve are already in your focus. Id recomment Bloodspawn in stead of Chudan. It winds up being up most the time.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No escape ability. Sorcerer can streak. Nighblade can cloak. Templar can only escape with mist form and that is not very role play wise to be vampire templar.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No escape ability. Sorcerer can streak. Nighblade can cloak. Templar can only escape with mist form and that is not very role play wise to be vampire templar.

I agree. But Race Against Time does help out a little bit. If you can avoid being CC'd while trying to escape. I've been able to use it in battlegrounds whereas before I was guaranteed to be dead when I got focused. If you're already low on stamina after just escaping a CC, it's probably not going to help because you still have to sprint away.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I mean is the 2 piece bonus of Chudan. Major Ward and Major resolve are already in your focus. Id recomment Bloodspawn in stead of Chudan. It winds up being up most the time.

I'll take Chudan anyway since the rune can still restore resources.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just do 1pc Chudan and 1pc Pirate Skeleton. The 1pc bonuses stack on top of Major Resolve/Ward.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Just do 1pc Chudan and 1pc Pirate Skeleton. The 1pc bonuses stack on top of Major Resolve/Ward.

I thought about that but the matching set grants over 1000 health as well.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd take the resistances from 1pc Pirate Skelly over 1k health any day but maybe that's just me.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take the resistances from 1pc Pirate Skelly over 1k health any day but maybe that's just me.

The matching set gives almost the same resistance as one chudan and one pirate combined but it also grants extra health so I think it's better than just getting resistance alone.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone explained above, the resistances from Chudan 2pc are redundant because you already get the Major Ward/Resolve buffs from Rune, and they don't stack. Also, if you really want to do a full monster set, Pirate Skeleton is the far superior option.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. But Race Against Time does help out a little bit. If you can avoid being CC'd while trying to escape. I've been able to use it in battlegrounds whereas before I was guaranteed to be dead when I got focused. If you're already low on stamina after just escaping a CC, it's probably not going to help because you still have to sprint away.

It's a offense/reposition skill, not escape tool.
    Helps you on your defense bar with block cast heals too since the shield passive kicks in when you wanta bol heal to stick.

Minor force buff is like gaining 200-300 effective spellpower rating. Very versatile skill; unlike mist which is entirely defensive and resource draining. I wish RaT had major sorcery buff :(.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Yeah, if I have to go vampire just to get around CC spamming I'm going to just play another class. I do still see this as a role playing game. But since the grind is so real I may not feel like doing it again with another character. I may just move on.

mag/imovable/crit pots. Frees up both vamp and reflective light for something like race against time and solar barrage.

Rest is gear/stat swapping to get what you need.

Agreed, but reflective is the only viable dps on magplar at the moment lol
    Race against time is awesome, both mag and stam. Solar barrage is a waste of slot for minimal damage and the change to empower, seeing how templar has really bad weave capabilities. Would work okay if set up with elegant set, but then you can get empower from mages casting degeneration. So still pointless.

I've had reflective light reflected/dodged/aborbed so many times I keep removing it lol. Especially since the buff is only gained if you hit the target with it.

Solar barrage, in CP only since nCP the DMG is too low for the cost, is about the same damage as blazing spear/wall of elements except in 2 sec bursts but it follows you around so it's less forgiving in outnumber fights.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone explained above, the resistances from Chudan 2pc are redundant because you already get the Major Ward/Resolve buffs from Rune, and they don't stack. Also, if you really want to do a full monster set, Pirate Skeleton is the far superior option.

Like I said though, the resistances aren't the tie breaker.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the recent feedback I got from various players people state, that magicka templars are in a great spot and by far not a weak class. For solo PvP, they are not the best class, but also not the worst. A lot of people actually fear, that further buffs to templar will lead to overbuffing it and therefore soon will receive nerfs again. Also there already were "nerf templar (magplar) threads around in the forum.

About lag and its connection to templars: yeah templar is a bit more affected by lag, since all the channels are horrible to use in bad server performance. Channels gets longer and jabs are not worth to cast it. But this will not change, if not the skill itself changes to a non.cast-time ability (which actually would change it a lot and lots of people are actually happy with this theme of channeling several spear strikes).

Light armor templar is not unplayable solo. I do not want to sound superior or whatever, but I play my magplar in solo PvP in light armor and perform well.

For @StarOfElyon I strongly recommend a heavy armor build for the beginning. It is easier to survive thanks to better resistances and to better stamina sustain via constitution.

I recommend using a build similar to this: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=90748
    In this build shacklebreaker can be swapped with inate axiom, transmutation with something like wizards riposte, alteration mastery or lich and the monsterset can be exchanged as you wish (I recommend skoria or bloodspawn (helps out with stamina sustain) here, pirate skeleton would make you tanky). Skills can be exchanged as you like.

Btw Joys thread was posted before the rep program started and since then templar received many nice buffs. It is currently in a good spot compared to the others. Sure there would be many fixes to passives and skills, which would improve them without being useless, but also that would make the class far to strong in the current situation (if all of them would be fixed).
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Checkmath

Agree that magplar is in a really good spot but I feel stamina Templar is the one needing some small improvements. I wrote earlier in the thread about stamina Templar lacking good self-healing as their main issue, when speaking from a PvP perspective. You´re stuck with Rally/FM and Vigor as your only self-heals. And if you´re comparing healing capacities on the other stamina classes, stamplar is falling very far behind.

The playstyle I´ve found to be most efficient on stamplar is to run a tanky medium armor setup (I feel Rally is more or less mandatory due to the poor healing they got and therefore heavy armor + Forward Momentum doesn´t suite stamplar that much. At least not for me) and trying to stack resistance bonuses (which is nice with the change to rune focus). By reducing incoming damage I don´t have to outheal as much damage, but even then, healing is a big issue.

I know I´m late to the party on this one but the changes to Crescent Sweep was disappointing I´ve to say (especially from a PvE perspective). Losing the extra damage buff when hitting enemies in front of you, made Dawnbreaker an even more obvious choice for PvP. Not implying damage on a stamplar is necessarily weak, but magicka templar didn´t really need the "previous stamina version" of Crescent Sweep (at least not if you ask me).

Giving stamina templar major protection on Empowering Sweep also kind of pigeon hole stamplar into "mitigate as much damage as possible so you don´t need to outheal as much damage) playstyle. Would really like to see some kind of buff to stamina Templar's ability to improve their self-heal, without buffing magicka templar even further (since you can´t really say healing is an issue on magplar ^^)
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received a lot of feedback regarding the rather low healing values of stamplars. therefore I also mentioned this at the last meeting with the devs.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But why bother when you can get another set like Bloodspawn actually add armor, stamina recovery which I believe you complained about lacking sustained there (maybe someone else) and ultimate which will get you to burst windows quicker ?

Think I've said enough here as it's a templar feedback thread so I guess thanks for your feedback but it's not going to change much if you don't listen to advice while playing suboptimal builds.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But why bother when you can get another set like Bloodspawn actually add armor, stamina recovery which I believe you complained about lacking sustained there (maybe someone else) and ultimate which will get you to burst windows quicker ?

Think I've said enough here as it's a templar feedback thread so I guess thanks for your feedback but it's not going to change much if you don't listen to advice while playing suboptimal builds.

I'm taking it all in. Sometimes things need time to be mulled over.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm probably going to take this advice here. I'll either get the full pirate set or just use two different sets. Depends on what I can actually find.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 11, 2019 2:11PM
  • killmove
    killmove
    ✭✭✭
    As a templar tank I feel templar shield too weak to be effective when boss fight. I think the shield should give 50% health protection instead of the +30%. Also change the initial dmg to a 50% snare.
    Edited by killmove on January 11, 2019 2:34PM