The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Time To Fix Heavy Armor Meta

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IZZEFlameLash

Block was nerfed several times. The reason always was that permablocking was the best thing since sliced bread, and PvE tanks complained that tanking is so boring. Hold mouse button and wait until the boss is dead, with the application of debuffs on cooldown. Yawn.

What ZOS did somehow was making blocking easier for everyone while just penalizing Shield play glyphs. Everyone just changed the build up a bit and nothing really changed.

When a player is tanky and acts as a deterrent that’s completely fine. It’s the opponent’s duty to make in intelligent choice in battle and look for different targets then (which many players can’t do, a tanky player very much acts like a noob magnet).

What’s not fine is when a player doesn’t die and can utilize a substantial damage potential at the same time. It’s a futile attempt though. ZOS won’t change anything about it. We’ve had this discussion for years now.
    Edited by Feanor on October 18, 2018 6:49AM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

Heavy healers will be fine because pen doesnt effect heals

People like you complain about heavy armor killing people, but when an actual Tank comes around and DOESN'T kill people you guys still whine that they are unkillable and slow down the gameplay, Which is it?

i have no problem with tanks doing tanks jobs, cc's, negates, res's, permas, all fine

Actually you do have problem with those. I think I remember you complaining about those back in the days. Most NBs did as well. Which was why block was nerfed in the first place.
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Miswar wrote: »
    In regards of the PvP this heavy armour meta is big joke.

Simple solution for this...

If you use 1-2 piece heavy armour = No change to dps
    If you wear 5 piece heavy armour = -50% of the dps no matter if you are stamina or magica character.

You want to play as tank? Than so be it and the above pretty much makes you an tank.

Also this would NOT impact PvE side and would definately solve hell of a lot of nonsense from PvP.

This also would mean that you actually would need learn to play the damn game instead just been carried by gear.

Leave the healing as it is... they can still run around towers feeling op but guess what they really are just running and not hitting like a truck as they are now in terms of dps.

All of this would result people wearing medium and light gears... would make battles much more fluent etc.

This heavy amour nonsense has made so mamy people getting bored by PvP...and yes lag is not worst culprit eventhough it is obnoxious too.

Sure thing. Also add +50% damage taken to anyone wearing a bedsheat? You grossly overestimate how much resistance heavy gives. Not nearly enough to justify 50% dmg nerf. Heavy passives are nothing to write home about. Fix some specific sets and see how that plays out.

You don't want balance, you only want to replace one meta with another by killing an entire armor class.

Dont close your eyes, its not the resistance that makes heavy armor strong, its all the passive package.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

When a glassy sorc duels a glassy nightblade whoever does 1 or 2 silly mistakes max ends up dead, now these two sacrifice tankiness to get damage, when they both hit a BDoS heavy armor tankling that stacks 3+ heals and they cant get him down this is not balanced

You want damage? Sacrifice tankiness and get some, being a tank a deal amazing bursts of damage and INSANE amounts of healing and HoT's almost as good as glassy builds while they fly like F-15's is hilarious, its the solution that ZoS found for EX-skyrim low reflect players since being in heavy allow's you to make several mistakes before end up dead.

When people cant play a rewarding build with a high risk its their problem, they should stop whining on the forums since they cant play it and realize its their fault and their lack of understanding.

Ive said before, one of the most famous warden dps tanklings in EU/PC/VIVEC while magsorc/magblade mode survived me for like 2-3 mins, and i do not consider myself a good player. While on Tank mode he happyly tanks around 10 people and manage to kill some while running like flash gordon + stacking several heals on him.

I do agree with Misswar in the damage debuff while wearing heavy armor, but they should have their insane healing to not cause problems in PvE.

Heavy armor + sword and board is not pro, the exactly opposite.

LA and shield is not pro by that very logic.

Im stacking 2 shields vs magica players and my dps skills are: Curse + reach + frag +fury + comet. 5 and they need to be landed down perfectly timed, now if you see only LA i guess you need to L2P a bit a have a knowledge on what your enemy is casting.
    Xeniph wrote: »
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

People like you complain about heavy armor killing people, but when an actual Tank comes around and DOESN'T kill people you guys still whine that they are unkillable and slow down the gameplay, Which is it?

i have no problem with tanks doing tanks jobs, cc's, negates, res's, permas, all fine

Actually you do have problem with those. I think I remember you complaining about those back in the days. Most NBs did as well. Which was why block was nerfed in the first place.

If you wear 5 piece heavy armour = -50% of the dps no matter if you are stamina or magica character.

You want to play as tank? Than so be it and the above pretty much makes you an tank.

Also this would NOT impact PvE side and would definately solve hell of a lot of nonsense from PvP.

This also would mean that you actually would need learn to play the damn game instead just been carried by gear.

Leave the healing as it is... they can still run around towers feeling op but guess what they really are just running and not hitting like a truck as they are now in terms of dps.

All of this would result people wearing medium and light gears... would make battles much more fluent etc.

This heavy amour nonsense has made so mamy people getting bored by PvP...and yes lag is not worst culprit eventhough it is obnoxious too.

Sure thing. Also add +50% damage taken to anyone wearing a bedsheat? You grossly overestimate how much resistance heavy gives. Not nearly enough to justify 50% dmg nerf. Heavy passives are nothing to write home about. Fix some specific sets and see how that plays out.

You don't want balance, you only want to replace one meta with another by killing an entire armor class.

Dont close your eyes, its not the resistance that makes heavy armor strong, its all the passive package.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

When a glassy sorc duels a glassy nightblade whoever does 1 or 2 silly mistakes max ends up dead, now these two sacrifice tankiness to get damage, when they both hit a BDoS heavy armor tankling that stacks 3+ heals and they cant get him down this is not balanced

You want damage? Sacrifice tankiness and get some, being a tank a deal amazing bursts of damage and INSANE amounts of healing and HoT's almost as good as glassy builds while they fly like F-15's is hilarious, its the solution that ZoS found for EX-skyrim low reflect players since being in heavy allow's you to make several mistakes before end up dead.

When people cant play a rewarding build with a high risk its their problem, they should stop whining on the forums since they cant play it and realize its their fault and their lack of understanding.

Ive said before, one of the most famous warden dps tanklings in EU/PC/VIVEC while magsorc/magblade mode survived me for like 2-3 mins, and i do not consider myself a good player. While on Tank mode he happyly tanks around 10 people and manage to kill some while running like flash gordon + stacking several heals on him.

I do agree with Misswar in the damage debuff while wearing heavy armor, but they should have their insane healing to not cause problems in PvE.

I wouldn't worry about Nico. He has no clue what he's talking about. For example, I am still looking for that heavy passive that reduces block cost.

Oh right, it was removed ages ago. I wouldn't give anyone your time if they can't even log into the game to have a look at the passives, before running their mouth.

Anyone who thinks passives that give:

1800 spell resistance
    20% Health recovery
    270 Mag/Stam every 2 seconds WHILE taking damage. (541 every 4 seconds)
    10% Max Health
    8% healing received
    and +25% more Stam/Mag on heavy attacks

Makes it all so much more powerful than the other armors, clearly doesn't understand the game.

Im talking about about heavy armor + sword and board as a combination but you failed to realize it i had to write it exactly like this for you to understand it?

Keep ghosting whatever i write in the forums like a triggered pleb, i told you i enjoy it.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

Block cost reduction isn't even a passive.

That warden survived 3mins? You didn't die 3 mins either and you call yourself "not even that good".

-50% weapon dmg means smaller heals as well (I take miswar means a cut in wpn dmg instead of a maim bc of what he wrote as a reply)

Swift and almost every source of "Flash Gordon" gets nerfed by next week.

And there are more weapons than SnB.

Block cost reduction is a passive on sword and shield skill line, and im talking about heavy armor + sword and board perhaps you should look better the last sentence.

Are you somehow low intelligence or act like it?
    Im simply stating that a tank can dish out almost same burst dps as 1 glassy build in light/med while easyly can take the damage 2 glass builds can dish out and that is not balanced.

Im talking about whats happening now, when the nerf comes live we will see how much of a nerf it was

• NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    That would NOT kill armour class by any means. I mean in PvE.. tanks run heavy armours and only tanks.. why because heavy armour builds should be tanks.

Heavy armor is not equal to tank (neither in PvP or PvE). Get rid of that mindset, that´s old MMO standards that doesn´t apply to ESO.
    If I remember correctly, many patches ago the world record run in vDSA was done with a tank running a medium armor setup (Night Mother´s Gaze + Powerful Assault) with 17k HP. Even in this patch I´ve had tanks doing vHoF in medium armor. Tanking is about performing a certain task/role and is not determined by what armor type you use.

If you want to get rid of the heavy armor meta in PvP. Start by adjusting these sets:
    • Warrior´s Fury:Issue with the set is that it gives way too much weapon damage and in CP campaigns it´s very easy to accumulate many stacks and have a high uptime on those. Especially if you´re a bit outnumbered. Reduce the amount of stacks to 20 down from 25 would balance things out a bit.
    • 7th Legion: Issue with this set is that it procs way to easy for the amount of weapon damage it gives (no one runs 7th for the extra heal anymore). Change 7th Legion so it has a 10% chance to proc on direct damage and not all sources of damage.

Other sets like Ravager and Veiled Heritance I find to be more balanced. Veiled Heritance doesn´t give an absurd amount of weapon damage and Ravager is difficult to proc unless you´re a stamplar

I want the "brawler" playstyle to be viable (I´m perfectly fine with heavy armor damage sets) but as it stands now it´s a bit too strong.

Another thing that would help would be to give medium some comparable sets instead of gimmick proc sets. Why the highest sources of weapon damage are on heavy sets doesn't make much sense. I agree that heavy brawler should be a viable option, even in pve, but it should be that in order to do damage you have hold them in toe to toe combat for a significant time. I like the general idea of Fury but it might be over tuned and wouldn't mind seeing 7th maybe turned into a pve version of it as well. But made more difficult to keep up and if you can't keep MA and LA from hit
    And run tactics it will fall off (sort of that way already but maybe it could be tweaked). Or maybe add some condition that it expires after you've done so much damage and would have to build it back up again.

Troll king might be part of the problem as it allows maybe too many opportunities for these sets to ramp up or proc too.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

Im stacking 2 shields vs magica players and my dps skills are: Curse + reach + frag +fury + comet. 5 and they need to be landed down perfectly timed, now if you see only LA i guess you need to L2P a bit a have a knowledge on what your enemy is casting.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

I wouldn't worry about Nico. He has no clue what he's talking about. For example, I am still looking for that heavy passive that reduces block cost.

Oh right, it was removed ages ago. I wouldn't give anyone your time if they can't even log into the game to have a look at the passives, before running their mouth.

1800 spell resistance
    20% Health recovery
    10% Max Health
    8% healing received

Makes it all so much more powerful than the other armors, clearly doesn't understand the game.

Im talking about about heavy armor + sword and board as a combination but you failed to realize it i had to write it exactly like this for you to understand it?

Keep ghosting whatever i write in the forums like a triggered pleb, i told you i enjoy it.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

That warden survived 3mins? You didn't die 3 mins either and you call yourself "not even that good".

-50% weapon dmg means smaller heals as well (I take miswar means a cut in wpn dmg instead of a maim bc of what he wrote as a reply)

Block cost reduction is a passive on sword and shield skill line, and im talking about heavy armor + sword and board perhaps you should look better the last sentence.

Im simply stating that a tank can dish out almost same burst dps as 1 glassy build in light/med while easyly can take the damage 2 glass builds can dish out and that is not balanced.

Im talking about whats happening now, when the nerf comes live we will see how much of a nerf it was

Sounds like you are the one that needs to l2p if you think HA turns you into a god of sustain and dps at the same time.
    Feanor wrote: »
    @IZZEFlameLash

Block was nerfed several times. The reason always was that permablocking was the best thing since sliced bread, and PvE tanks complained that tanking is so boring. Hold mouse button and wait until the boss is dead, with the application of debuffs on cooldown. Yawn.

What ZOS did somehow was making blocking easier for everyone while just penalizing Shield play glyphs. Everyone just changed the build up a bit and nothing really changed.

When a player is tanky and acts as a deterrent that’s completely fine. It’s the opponent’s duty to make in intelligent choice in battle and look for different targets then (which many players can’t do, a tanky player very much acts like a noob magnet).

What’s not fine is when a player doesn’t die and can utilize a substantial damage potential at the same time. It’s a futile attempt though. ZOS won’t change anything about it. We’ve had this discussion for years now.

It is sets that are the root cause. Not HA in itself. HA passives are not the ones granting the damage. But the sets are. And I believe it is compounded with the fact that it is very very easy to stack WD to cause this issue.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

1800 spell resistance
    20% Health recovery
    10% Max Health
    8% healing received

Block cost reduction
    Healing recieved
    Max HP
    Resourse returns
    resistances.

Sounds like you are the one that needs to l2p if you think HA turns you into a god of sustain and dps at the same time.
    Feanor wrote: »
    @IZZEFlameLash

It is sets that are the root cause. Not HA in itself. HA passives are not the ones granting the damage. But the sets are. And I believe it is compounded with the fact that it is very very easy to stack WD to cause this issue.

I havent claimed that heavy attack is the god sustain but since i have to L2P you have to learn how to read first.

I did not claim that heavy armor IS problematic, but some things like heavy armor + sword and board + those retraited sets + argonian passives line up insanely good making the user broken AF.

Heavy armor itself does nothing, the combination of all the above is the problem. That must be addressed not necessarily by nerfs, but maybe by adding a counterplay. Like buff bleeds scaling harder vs heavy resistances? Just a thought :trollface:

Nerfing heavy armor would probably be the most silly thing.
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Banana wrote: »
    Its only going to get worse with all the shield changes. I was light now im thinking heavy.

Next patch there is ZERO reason to wear light armor, unless they increase cost reduction by 1% per piece to actually justify the shield nerf. Since magicka will no longer be "safe at a distance" or "shielded up" all the time, the skill cost is ridiculous even in light, and if heavy can give you enough defense to not have to cast shields/heal 2-3 times or more in the same battle (when these skills cost around 4K+ EACH), then essentially heavy is even better than light in sustain. The penetration and crit become the only things that matter, but considering PvP even now is dominated by tank builds that do damage, I highly doubt any of the light armor passives will outweigh he benefits of heavy in nearly every PvP build.

1) When was that ever the case? People used gap closers on many builds. Then they were nerfed but swift was introduced. Now swift, snare immunity, maj Expedition and speed pots get nerfed as well. And if I can believe in "magbuilds can't afford to use speed pots" (beside the glaring fact that ling. health + mE pots are a thing that don't benefit stamina over mag), this should slow down chasers. But people will probably go back to use the still damage-nerfed gap closers.

2) Fun fact: Heavy grants neither crit nor pen. But light and medium do.

But if you ask me, shield costs should be lowered to meet the smaller size and give incentive to run light. Mag should get a snare removal outside of purge and mist form. Medium's sprint passive should be changed to movement speed (but % lowered, maybe) and gap closers should get a bit of a range reduction, maybe to 15-18 meters?

Shield costs reduced for light to solve its balance v. heavy? :D Yeah, you obviously haven't logged onto the PTS and used light armor. Speed increase for medium...when the entire patch was aimed at lowering speed because the game bugs out? Really? Nothing more needs to be said.

EDIT: Before someone cries and says its baiting, let me expound on why its dumb. #1 no passive for ANY armor tree right now specifically targets certain skills for it to be usable. None. Armor passives are available and useful at all times. This is exactly what makes heavy better than both medium and light: the passives are simply better to have on all the time, at least in PvP.

To suggest crit and pen actually are game changers when in light vs heavy is just silly. If anything the only reason to wear light is cost reduction. The crit is useful if you are a healer, but considering the change to healing ward, it's simply not going to be as good as having damage reduction 100% of the time. No, nope, not gonna happen.

I don't know anyone that tremendously benefits from either of those stats in general in PvP. You can show some streamtard running around 1vXing idiots, but the problems is that streamers manufacture footage. What they don't show you is what really matters: how they die. Here's an example: some guy might use a somewhat tanky DK LA build where he whips someone three times and they die. Now, that guy he whipped we know nothing about, but what we do know is that its very unlikely anyone with a brain or decent build would die in 3 flame lashes. No one. And certainly not anyone with 33K+ resist, greater than 26K HP, and more than 3K crit resist.

Okay, why does any of this matter? Simple. The guy's build looks good on paper and on video, however I guarantee you when these LA builds start to face enemies with more resist, all of them crumble. The reason is very simple: because in LA you have to sacrifice too much to gain either defense, damage, healing, or sustain. You can do two but not both. Yet, all stam builds can do it all, and at worse only one thing needs to be sacrificed. It's not surprising they don't see a reason to use medium when heavy is not much more different AND gives health, more resist, and depending on your build more sustain.

On live, most LA build crutch on shields and the fact they don't need to stack resist to be able to gain damage and sustain, no healing or healing and sustain, no damage. That effectively only left one weakness compared to stam: having to sacrifice for a stam pool, we cannot forget this weakness of LA builds. Now, in this patch ZOS decided to nerf shields for LA users overall. Now with the changes, its back to TWO. None of the passives ZOS has added to LA address defense, damage, healing, or sustain. None of the passives address roll cost, or break free. As a result the only logical thing to do will be to move to heavy where you can at least get health + defense in resistance and longer shields. I will even wager, that if medium gets the buff you want to speed, magicka builds might move there instead. Even on live you can run a magicka build in medium, in pvp, with success right now. In the future, though, 25% damage reduction, lower roll cost, lower spint, sprint speed increase would be TOO good to pass up. Add movement speed and LA has no place in the armor competition anymore.

What I find interesting is that you can find a fault with medium, that is going to still be good and in some cases better, yet are too blind to see a glaring problem with light? Reading the forums I can see how ZOS comes to the stupidest conclusions when it comes to balance.

TLDR: I saw a video of a good player 1vxing in light,I tried it and got devastated cause I’m not good like him.

Joke and flame aside,I can’t take seriously someone who says that medium armor is so good that it will be better for magicka if they buff a little the mobility lol
    LA passives are really good,the only reason why competent players tend to run 1 LA set+defensive.
    Medium passives are good too (despite the useless one) but medium has no good dmg sets,relies on dodge which is countered by almost every burst combo and also shuffle cost way too much (on live) negating all the recovery benefits.

People complaining about their class/setup being underpowered while the problem relies on the player itself is why zenimax will (rightfully) never check the feedback from players
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ocelot9x

1vX is - if anything - a benchmark of utilizing broken stuff. Is it a skill to use LoS correctly and prioritize targets that are most important to die quickly? Sure. But it’s not the most important part for balance.

1vX only works with stretching the available game mechanics and against not very good players. There is a reason you don’t see videos of anyone successfully 1vXing, let’s say, a decent small scale group.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    Banana wrote: »
    Its only going to get worse with all the shield changes. I was light now im thinking heavy.

Next patch there is ZERO reason to wear light armor, unless they increase cost reduction by 1% per piece to actually justify the shield nerf. Since magicka will no longer be "safe at a distance" or "shielded up" all the time, the skill cost is ridiculous even in light, and if heavy can give you enough defense to not have to cast shields/heal 2-3 times or more in the same battle (when these skills cost around 4K+ EACH), then essentially heavy is even better than light in sustain. The penetration and crit become the only things that matter, but considering PvP even now is dominated by tank builds that do damage, I highly doubt any of the light armor passives will outweigh he benefits of heavy in nearly every PvP build.

1) When was that ever the case? People used gap closers on many builds. Then they were nerfed but swift was introduced. Now swift, snare immunity, maj Expedition and speed pots get nerfed as well. And if I can believe in "magbuilds can't afford to use speed pots" (beside the glaring fact that ling. health + mE pots are a thing that don't benefit stamina over mag), this should slow down chasers. But people will probably go back to use the still damage-nerfed gap closers.

2) Fun fact: Heavy grants neither crit nor pen. But light and medium do.

But if you ask me, shield costs should be lowered to meet the smaller size and give incentive to run light. Mag should get a snare removal outside of purge and mist form. Medium's sprint passive should be changed to movement speed (but % lowered, maybe) and gap closers should get a bit of a range reduction, maybe to 15-18 meters?

Shield costs reduced for light to solve its balance v. heavy? :D Yeah, you obviously haven't logged onto the PTS and used light armor. Speed increase for medium...when the entire patch was aimed at lowering speed because the game bugs out? Really? Nothing more needs to be said.

EDIT: Before someone cries and says its baiting, let me expound on why its dumb. #1 no passive for ANY armor tree right now specifically targets certain skills for it to be usable. None. Armor passives are available and useful at all times. This is exactly what makes heavy better than both medium and light: the passives are simply better to have on all the time, at least in PvP.

To suggest crit and pen actually are game changers when in light vs heavy is just silly. If anything the only reason to wear light is cost reduction. The crit is useful if you are a healer, but considering the change to healing ward, it's simply not going to be as good as having damage reduction 100% of the time. No, nope, not gonna happen.

I don't know anyone that tremendously benefits from either of those stats in general in PvP. You can show some streamtard running around 1vXing idiots, but the problems is that streamers manufacture footage. What they don't show you is what really matters: how they die. Here's an example: some guy might use a somewhat tanky DK LA build where he whips someone three times and they die. Now, that guy he whipped we know nothing about, but what we do know is that its very unlikely anyone with a brain or decent build would die in 3 flame lashes. No one. And certainly not anyone with 33K+ resist, greater than 26K HP, and more than 3K crit resist.

Okay, why does any of this matter? Simple. The guy's build looks good on paper and on video, however I guarantee you when these LA builds start to face enemies with more resist, all of them crumble. The reason is very simple: because in LA you have to sacrifice too much to gain either defense, damage, healing, or sustain. You can do two but not both. Yet, all stam builds can do it all, and at worse only one thing needs to be sacrificed. It's not surprising they don't see a reason to use medium when heavy is not much more different AND gives health, more resist, and depending on your build more sustain.

On live, most LA build crutch on shields and the fact they don't need to stack resist to be able to gain damage and sustain, no healing or healing and sustain, no damage. That effectively only left one weakness compared to stam: having to sacrifice for a stam pool, we cannot forget this weakness of LA builds. Now, in this patch ZOS decided to nerf shields for LA users overall. Now with the changes, its back to TWO. None of the passives ZOS has added to LA address defense, damage, healing, or sustain. None of the passives address roll cost, or break free. As a result the only logical thing to do will be to move to heavy where you can at least get health + defense in resistance and longer shields. I will even wager, that if medium gets the buff you want to speed, magicka builds might move there instead. Even on live you can run a magicka build in medium, in pvp, with success right now. In the future, though, 25% damage reduction, lower roll cost, lower spint, sprint speed increase would be TOO good to pass up. Add movement speed and LA has no place in the armor competition anymore.

What I find interesting is that you can find a fault with medium, that is going to still be good and in some cases better, yet are too blind to see a glaring problem with light? Reading the forums I can see how ZOS comes to the stupidest conclusions when it comes to balance.

TLDR: I saw a video of a good player 1vxing in light,I tried it and got devastated cause I’m not good like him.

Joke and flame aside,I can’t take seriously someone who says that medium armor is so good that it will be better for magicka if they buff a little the mobility lol
    LA passives are really good,the only reason why competent players tend to run 1 LA set+defensive.
    Medium passives are good too (despite the useless one) but medium has no good dmg sets,relies on dodge which is countered by almost every burst combo and also shuffle cost way too much (on live) negating all the recovery benefits.

People complaining about their class/setup being underpowered while the problem relies on the player itself is why zenimax will (rightfully) never check the feedback from players

No real refutation? Okay.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahaha and all these "pro" players saying "no more nerfs"!

Bleeds need (as it is nicely called now) "adjustments" as it's overperforming mechanic having very limited counters, or instead of nerf we need better counters (like cheaper bleed removal skill with both stamina and magicka morphs

Edit:perfect solution would be to bind it with LA and MA skill so it wouldn't be accessible for HA so bleeds would be actually more effective against it).

Next we need not HA to be nerfed but HA damaging sets to be tuned down. It's ridiculous that armor type designed for taking damage gets the best damage buffing sets. HA sets like ravager should give 350 weap/spell damage at best.

Stop defending broken mechanics just because you like to feel strong. Literally there is no reason to not go heavy + stack 7k weap damage + DW - major evasion, major protection, major expedition just from one skill + bleeds - meaning your opponent is naked and can't dodge a sheit + spin2win dancing queen, meaning no roll dodge from execute phase.
    Edited by Mayrael on October 19, 2018 7:23AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn’t Heavy Armor per-se, it’s thag stam abilities (across the board) have too strong base damage meaning you can do too much damage whilst also in heavy.

Nerf all stam skills base damage 20% and buff medium passive damage increase 20% and buff tank aggro generation 20%.

PvE unaffected & PvP now more balanced.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn’t Heavy Armor per-se, it’s thag stam abilities (across the board) have too strong base damage meaning you can do too much damage whilst also in heavy.

Nerf all stam skills base damage 20% and buff medium passive damage increase 20% and buff tank aggro generation 20%.

PvE unaffected & PvP now more balanced.

Ah, the old "put a 20% damage debuff on heavy" in new clothes.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All armor weights should have equal resistance values - let the passives do the work.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

Bleeds need (as it is nicely called now) "adjustments" as it's overperforming mechanic having very limited counters, or instead of nerf we need better counters (like cheaper bleed removal skill with both stamina and magicka morphs

Edit:perfect solution would be to bind it with LA and MA skill so it wouldn't be accessible for HA so bleeds would be actually more effective against it).

Next we need not HA to be nerfed but HA damaging sets to be tuned down. It's ridiculous that armor type designed for taking damage gets the best damage buffing sets. HA sets like ravager should give 350 weap/spell damage at best.

Stop defending broken mechanics just because you like to feel strong. Literally there is no reason to not go heavy + stack 7k weap damage + DW - major evasion, major protection, major expedition just from one skill + bleeds - meaning your opponent is naked and can't dodge a sheit + spin2win dancing queen, meaning no roll dodge from execute phase.

Yer missing the point.

There is no reason heavy shouldn't have damage. It is a method of defense just like kiting or shielding. The damage is completely separate from that. If you think people shouldn't survive and have dmg, then you should do the same to shield, cloak and roll.
    Raw tankiness has been nerfed to *** as is, a single bleed defile build will tear you a new one, and you will be quick overwhelmed.

The problem is when you run into builds that have dmg and really good defense from speed and tankiness.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you all are actually on about is the adjustment to shields, so I would be careful about nerfing heavy because you are going to need it. My Stamplar and Stamblades wear 5 Medium and only 2 heavy and take down plenty of all heavy users.

I agree with this, heavy armor is not the holy grail most people whine about it being. If they nerf heavy armor a LOT of people are gonna be wishing they didn’t. But then I run five or even six medium on my DK, so if y’all want to nerf heavy to the ground my life just gets easier. Also fury, ravager, 7th, these sets aren’t really the issue. The issue is defile sets, and passive proc sets, that let people tank up and go through their rotation while the effects do the heavy lifting. But ZOS certainly isn’t going to do away with the bs sets so nerfing heavy damage into the ground is probably the only way to go.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    What you all are actually on about is the adjustment to shields, so I would be careful about nerfing heavy because you are going to need it. My Stamplar and Stamblades wear 5 Medium and only 2 heavy and take down plenty of all heavy users.

I agree with this, heavy armor is not the holy grail most people whine about it being. If they nerf heavy armor a LOT of people are gonna be wishing they didn’t. But then I run five or even six medium on my DK, so if y’all want to nerf heavy to the ground my life just gets easier. Also fury, ravager, 7th, these sets aren’t really the issue. The issue is defile sets, and passive proc sets, that let people tank up and go through their rotation while the effects do the heavy lifting. But ZOS certainly isn’t going to do away with the bs sets so nerfing heavy damage into the ground is probably the only way to go.

That guy zergs. His version of “taking down plenty of heavy users” is him and 10+ others fighting another group of 10+.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    templesus wrote: »

That guy zergs. His version of “taking down plenty of heavy users” is him and 10+ others fighting another group of 10+.

Do you know him or do you pull this from one comment?
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I either run with an organized guild group when enough are on which is rare or most of the time run not grouped with a couple of guild mates just hanging in guild chat. I am one of those strange players that believe in playing objectives for the campaign rather than just taunting, running away and LOS around rocks, ahem. If what I do is zerging then I am proud to be a zergling.
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 21, 2018 2:04PM
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I’ve literally seen him post in zone chat on PS4 NA. He zergs, trust me. Now how heavily people weigh the word of zerglings is up to them. Just thought I’d make it clear he isn’t a 1vXer or small scaler, he zergs, so remember that when you read comments like “i take down plenty of all heavy users” .
    Edited by templesus on October 21, 2018 5:08PM
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve literally seen him post in zone chat on PS4 NA. He zergs, trust me. Now how heavily people weigh the word of zerglings is up to them. Just thought I’d make it clear he isn’t a 1vXer or small scaler, he zergs, so remember that when you read comments like “i take down plenty of all heavy users” .

How you can tell what one does from zone chat is a mystery to me.
    No I am not a 1vXer this game was not designed for that.
    But run ungrouped plenty so yes I have taken out Heavy users 1v1, but armor doesn't make the player.
    Been in zergs, been in small groups of 5 or less and been solo what is your point?
    Your use of zerg as an derogatory term shows where you are coming from, just troll.
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 21, 2018 5:21PM
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    This rhetoric that 1vX = PvP has to stop.

I would imagine that 1vXers represent less than 1% of the total PvP population.

That’s not to say that balance in that reason doesn’t matter but it’s also not the only thing that matters.
  • templesus
    templesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That’s not to say that balance in that reason doesn’t matter but it’s also not the only thing that matters.

Where did anyone on this post say 1vX is the only thing that matters? And please don’t say you assumed it was implied from comments as assuming has no place in intellectual discussion.

Nobody here has said 1vX = PvP. If anything, the only thing that’s been said is 1vX isn’t PvP as people constantly try to bash it and say it isn’t an intended part of the game.
    Edited by templesus on October 21, 2018 6:49PM
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Mayrael wrote: »

Yer missing the point.

There is no reason heavy shouldn't have damage. It is a method of defense just like kiting or shielding. The damage is completely separate from that. If you think people shouldn't survive and have dmg, then you should do the same to shield, cloak and roll.
    Raw tankiness has been nerfed to *** as is, a single bleed defile build will tear you a new one, and you will be quick overwhelmed.

The problem is when you run into builds that have dmg and really good defense from speed and tankiness.

Then why anybody would like to play light or medium? Why gimp your self if I can higher damage, ressistances and healing in heavy? You know there should be always some disadvantages of certain gameplay. Light and medium have lower ressistances just to have a bit better sustain, but also have lower damage (because of much worse sets). So in general why the he11 go light or medium? I'm not saying heavy should always have lower damage but in most of the cases light and medium should have significantly more damage and should have it easier (when we talk about sets) to build higher damage because trading off survivability is much more demanding than trading off some sustain since we have skills like Deep Thoughts, which are the best on HA builds.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor is fine. HA mobility is no longer on par with medium or bow users, as a result HA is balanced and now has an actual downside of having bad mobility.

PS: Before ya all blame me for ''having an agenda'' or anything of sorts, I'm using medium armor for a while now. Just to let you know, and
    I don't think of going back to heavy armor in murkmire. Its only going to slow down my entire group, which I wouldn't want.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 21, 2018 9:36PM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think heavy non sprint speed should be capped at 25% above normal run speed and that the sprint speed for heavy should be capped at 50% above normal run speed. This more than anything seems justifiable as heavy should be slower than med and light.

You can be a heavy armor wearer without being a "tank" and should be able to deal substantial damage. Real tanks have less than 20k stam/mag, more than 40k health and weap/spell dmg around 1200. Those builds aren't dealing damage. You can build for damage, 4-5k weap/spell dmp, 30-40k+ stam/mag, and 25-30k health with decent resists. Those builds should do damage nicely. But both should have their ceiling lowered as far as run speed as they are in heavy armor. They can still obtain normal run speed but going beyond that should be limited. I would hate to see them run slower than normal as that is already pretty slow, but medium and light should have higher ceilings with buffs. pots, gear etc.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor is fine. HA mobility is no longer on par with medium or bow users, as a result HA is balanced and now has an actual downside of having bad mobility.

PS: Before ya all blame me for ''having an agenda'' or anything of sorts, I'm using medium armor for a while now. Just to let you know, and
    I don't think of going back to heavy armor in murkmire. Its only going to slow down my entire group, which I wouldn't want.

Wait, when did they nerf Stampede? Oh right, they didn’t.

Nice attempt to disguise your agenda but I’m gonna call bull *** on the “I use medium” statement.
    Edited by lucky_dutch on October 21, 2018 9:55PM
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerfing their mobility probably isn’t the way to go. Nothing sucks the fun out of a class like making them feel like they’re wearing lead boots.

Nerfing the damage is the way to go. Specifically, the damage that stam can do without medium passives. Mag take a huge damage and sustain loss when picking heavy making that decision much more balanced.

Or you could indirectly nerf their damage by making dodge work on everything, including AoE. This would allow lighter armoured characters to avoid AoE button mashing and out-sustain heavy users who can’t time their burst.
    Edited by lucky_dutch on October 21, 2018 10:05PM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think nerfing mobility is exactly the way to go. If you are wearing heavy you should be choosing a stand your ground play style, not a circle jerk a tree at the speed of light and building ulti while wearing heavy play style. Regular speed is the same for everyone so they will have no lower floor than anyone else. Their ceiling for mobility, though, should very much be lower than medium or light. They aren't being made to run slower at the base level, they just wouldn't be able to reach the same top end speeds.

Their damage is already less than medium and light by virtue of 12% soon to be 15% weapon damage and 4884 penetration from light. I wouldn't mind seeing medium get a 2442 pen buff and light get a 7.5% spell dmg buff to widen the damage gap though and create a little more thought between the armor types.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    I think nerfing mobility is exactly the way to go. If you are wearing heavy you should be choosing a stand your ground play style, not a circle jerk a tree at the speed of light and building ulti while wearing heavy play style. Regular speed is the same for everyone so they will have no lower floor than anyone else. Their ceiling for mobility, though, should very much be lower than medium or light. They aren't being made to run slower at the base level, they just wouldn't be able to reach the same top end speeds.

Their damage is already less than medium and light by virtue of 12% soon to be 15% weapon damage and 4884 penetration from light. I wouldn't mind seeing medium get a 2442 pen buff and light get a 7.5% spell dmg buff to widen the damage gap though and create a little more thought between the armor types.

Except, stand your ground is not really possible in this game. 1v1, yes but open world? No.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »

Except, stand your ground is not really possible in this game. 1v1, yes but open world? No.

Um it is but you have to build for it. You would like to be able to soak damage from multiple enemies wearing light or medium while also being able to kill them? Because heavy vs heavy should be pretty equal.

Right now there is no reason to not use heavy armored when you play stamina, literally no reason.

As a magicka there is less reason to go heavy but not because light is much better then medium. It's because magicka have a lot worse heavy sets.

In the end both light and medium need some buffs or heavy (IMHO heavy damage buffing sets) need nerfs.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

• Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1vX is the main thing that PVP should be balanced around, simply because it's what takes the most skill and skill should be rewarded, groups and zergs that chase down solo players and small scalers shouldn't be rewarded.