The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've currently only played as a stamina-based templar, and he is in main tank. Most of the things I would have said a few weeks ago have been more or less resolved by recent changes made by the developers, for which I am thankful. The changes to Silver Leash give me the ability to pull in enemies, and once I get the Psijic skill line, I'll also have a decent area of effect crowd control ability (both of these things were lacking for us templar tanks). Improvements to Rune Focus seem to be on the docket, but I'd like to voice a few things about that ability as one of the pain points:
    • A stamina morph of Focused Charge would be great! It's okay if this doesn't happen because I can get a charge through either the two-handed weapon line or the sword and shield weapon line, but as someone who values aesthetics and role-playing, it would be super to be able to use this class ability. Of the two morphs, Toppling Charge seems most thematically appropriate for a stamina morph (explosions make me think magicka).
    • The changes to Rune Focus on PTS are a step in the right direction, but I would add some group utility. When I cast this skill, it really just benefits me. I'd like to give something to the group. Sacred Ground reduces enemy movement speed, but the area is too small for that to be of much use (it's not a proper CC). Maybe expand the area of effect to give this ability more CC potential, or increase the movement speed reduction since the area is so small? Or perhaps expand the area of effect and allow allies standing in your rune to receive protection?
    Edited by Starlock on July 27, 2018 4:06PM
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note: I am only just starting out with an Argonian Templar (working it as a healer) but I am picking up the pieces real fast.
    My Primary #1 Concern is mostly directed at the Ability Backlash and it’s morphs. Because on pen and paper, it may be good for beginners, but in the long run when doing certain end-game activities, it gets left behind almost completely. The Power of the Light morph which converts to a stamina ability, deals physical damage and applies minor fracture/breach is easily outpaced by the Sunderflame set and purifying light is practically near useless in certain boss fights where they have powerful close range mechanics which can keep players from receiving the healing when needed most.

But there may yet be a way to remedy this problem (if applicable) Backlash should have the initial damage reduced or even removed completely and move Power of the Lights Minor Fracture & Minor Breach to “Backlash” as a Baseline Effect alongside the Damage mimicry. and Refurbish Power of the light to affect multiple enemies near the target within a few meters to give it a bit of group utility, or at least deal the mimicked damage to nearby foes.
    Backlash: Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, afflicting them with Minor Fracture and Minor Breach, reducing their Physical and Spell Resistance by 1320 for 6 seconds while copying all their damage taken for 6 seconds and releasing 20% of it as additional Magic Damage to them. Maximum copied damage: [x]
    Purifying Light: Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, afflicting them with Minor Fracture and Minor Breach, reducing their Physical and Spell Resistance by 1320 for 6 seconds while copying all their damage taken for 6 seconds and releasing 20% of it as additional Magic Damage to them. Maximum copied damage: [x] When the effect ends, a pool of sunlight remains attached to the enemy, healing you and nearby allies for [x] Health every 2 seconds for 6 seconds.
    Expanding Light: Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, afflicting them with Minor Fracture and Minor Breach, reducing their Physical and Spell Resistance by 1320 for 6 seconds while copying all their damage taken for 6 seconds and releasing 20% of it as additional Physical Damage to the target and enemies within 5 meters. Maximum copied damage: [x]. [new effect: converts to stamina and released Damage is dealt to enemies near the affected target.]

Hopefully this gets implemented during the PTS phase if applicable and sees more usage in the long run as Backlash is a very good ability in my own opinion.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    I've currently only played as a stamina-based templar, and he is in main tank. Most of the things I would have said a few weeks ago have been more or less resolved by recent changes made by the developers, for which I am thankful. The changes to Silver Leash give me the ability to pull in enemies, and once I get the Psijic skill line, I'll also have a decent area of effect crowd control ability (both of these things were lacking for us templar tanks). Improvements to Rune Focus seem to be on the docket, but I'd like to voice a few things about that ability as one of the pain points:
    • A stamina morph of Focused Charge would be great! It's okay if this doesn't happen because I can get a charge through either the two-handed weapon line or the sword and shield weapon line, but as someone who values aesthetics and role-playing, it would be super to be able to use this class ability. Of the two morphs, Toppling Charge seems most thematically appropriate for a stamina morph (explosions make me think magicka).
    • The changes to Rune Focus on PTS are a step in the right direction, but I would add some group utility. When I cast this skill, it really just benefits me. I'd like to give something to the group. Sacred Ground reduces enemy movement speed, but the area is too small for that to be of much use (it's not a proper CC). Maybe expand the area of effect to give this ability more CC potential, or increase the movement speed reduction since the area is so small? Or perhaps expand the area of effect and allow allies standing in your rune to receive protection?

Nice suggestion for focused charge, ty for sharing.

As for rune focus ...
    a) The restoring focus ability already has 2 secondary effects (minor protection and minor vitality) linked to it. Don't get me wrong I like buffs, but adding groups utility is going to give a 3rd secondary effect to this morph taking it ahead of other classes major defence buff. Hence for this specific morph, imo, it would be too much.
    b) As for channeling focus (the other morph) this really might be a very good idea, tho. Even with the increased duration (latest changes for PTS (update 19)) this morph and its only secondary effect of returning magica seems to be missing a little awesomeness to bring it in line with the other classes major defence buff.
    Edited by Elsterchen on July 30, 2018 6:38AM
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    god, thank you guys. i already saw the thread going lost ;)
    Starlock wrote: »
    Maybe expand the area of effect to give this ability more CC potential, or increase the movement speed reduction since the area is so small? Or perhaps expand the area of effect and allow allies standing in your rune to receive protection?
    [/list]

the sacred ground actually isnt only tied to rune focus, its rather connected to extended ritual/ritual of retribution for most of the players, since its a big aoe.

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys, lets start another round of pointing out your two biggest issues with the class.
    keep in mind, that we saw mostly good changes to rune focus (mobility changes), a good increase in the execute damage of the radiant destruction (so that it is worth using again, pvp concerns about spamming it were already brought to the devs) and the taking away of the cast time from solar barrage (together with a damage nerf, i know...).
    In the last live stream Wrobel announced positive changes to the dps capabilities of templars for PvE and some kind of stamina sustain and group support tool (hopefully benefitting stamplar and tankplar sustain) coming with the update 20. now i would be glad to again collect your concerns and pain points regarding the templar class, but remember the changes on the pts and the ones announced for update 20, if they coincide.
    Please state, what is bothering you and i hope i already have a good idea about what you will say, when i think about unnecessary/outdated passives, an underperforming ultimate and missing some good cc abilities (no class root and issues with the current cc's like javelin, focused charge and eclypse).
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars don't have any damage skill that's truly great except Purifying Light, and that depends on other players focusing on the same target for its greatness. So it's not really competitive with Liquid Lightning, Assassin's Will, or Deep Fissure/Sub Assault.

Breath of Life has been nerfed so far that many templars no longer slot it. Huh??? At least make it omnidirectional again, so that it's a reasonable choice to carry BoL (or Honor the Dead) over Healing Ward.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars don't have any damage skill that's truly great except Purifying Light, and that depends on other players focusing on the same target for its greatness. So it's not really competitive with Liquid Lightning, Assassin's Will, or Deep Fissure/Sub Assault.

Breath of Life has been nerfed so far that many templars no longer slot it. Huh??? At least make it omnidirectional again, so that it's a reasonable choice to carry BoL (or Honor the Dead) over Healing Ward.

hmmm if you think so...
    just remember that blazing spear together with burning light isnt a bad skill, also reflective light/vampires bane isnt the worst skill in the game. also our execute skill finally again can do a lot of damage, so that dps parses of magplars can be really high (saw solo dummy parses of 50k+, which surely isnt bad).
    looks like you are talking about PvE mainly, since breath of life and honor the dead have still great use in more than only PvP.
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 The passives still seriously need work to synergise with the skill lines. The templar feedback thread Joy Division started has some excellent suggestions. (Can't link because phone.)

2. I would love a proper hard CC if the game is going to continue to head in that direction. It makes me sad that the new meta is CC in dungeons trials and PvP because it slows combat but if that is the direction, it would be good if templar healers and tanks could bring that to the PvE table in the absence of anything else unique.
    I would also happily drop one of my 3-4 redundant templar heal skills for a CC in PvP.

Others are much more qualified to comment on mechanics and maths but it was observed when running with a small group of templars in PvP...we had not one CC between us. Not on the dps, the tank, the healer. Not on the stamplar or the magplars. Whether in heavy or light armour we had Not a one.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pain points regarding "Defend your house"

1. there is still not much going for the defend your house playstyle.
    Templars are intended to gain the most from setting up their "house" and defend it afterwards but the advantages just don't Cut it.

If we are inside our house consisting of only 2 skills (3 if we are generous and add blazing spear) we gain the following effects:
    Minor mending, major resolve/ward + 2640 spell / physical resistance, a small hot, a minors snare on enemies and depending on morphs:
    a weak dot that only deals damage every 2 seconds thus only provides 2 damage ticks for our delayed burst ability,
    more purges (only when building our house)

Minor protection and minor vitality
    Magicka sustain.

That's it and that isn't enough of an incentive to give up most of your mobility when other classes can get stronger buffs while keeping their full mobility.

There needs to be something that templar gets over other classes when they are inside their house.
    The longer you are in your house the stronger it should get while not making the templar unkillable in a 1v1 but still being stronger than a templar who doesn't play inside his house.

Those effects shouldn't be generic buffs, others can get them too and they aren't limited to the house.
    Things like:
    Root and snare immunity with a catch, roots are turned into 70% snares but the effectiveness of snares applied to you inside your ritual is reduced by 40%
    (meaning snare immunity vs snares =<40% and a maximum snare of 30% which means enemies inside your house are always as snared as you can be maximally be)

Damage and healing done increase every 4 seconds (3% every 4 seconds when staying inside your house, effect is removed when leaving the house or recasting the skills)

2. the number of skills that work with the Defend your house playstyle is just too small.

If you look at magsorcs and how they fight they have access to so many skills that all function together to make magsorc a strong class.

Frags proccing on the shields you have to keep up in order to open up the burst window, curse having a second explosion giving you the chance to use your burst even when you have to use some gcds on shields, mage's wrath being delayed, streak and mines both keeping your enemies away from you.

We could also do this with specs like magdk or stamnb, those classes are strong because so many skills and passives work together to make the classes unique and strong and that's something that is missing when we're looking at the defend your ground playestyle.

--> Increase the number of synergies between skills and passives inside the templars toolkit
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pain points with skills:

Javalin: 8m ranged knockback on a meele class which has mediocre/bad mobility and a spammable with a range of 8m

Crescent sweep and empowering sweep:
    Range is still too small, damage on ES is too low (increase base damage by 33% for both morphs and reduce the bonus damage of Crescent sweep to 25% this results in higher damage for ES and equal damage for CS)

Sun shield: forces players into high health builds while templar has no synergy with those except for that skills

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need a defense and a chance to turn the fight. Blazing shield used to be that but is too weak, especially in PVP. When shields were halved by BS, ours was the worst hit. They also reduced the amount of health given by putting an attribute point into it which shifted the meta to most investing fully into their damage pool there and that made it a lot weaker. Never really recovered from that as it eventually got nerfed out of existence when heath sets got nerfed in Morrowind.

Resource management still not really addressed outside of magicka. Stamplar resource management tool still unreliable relying on a corpse that other Templar may have used up. Passive resource management is generally less efficient than other classes who get resources back on kills or large percentage increase in regeneration or lower cost, or less so returns when using ultimate.
    Edited by technohic on July 30, 2018 12:05PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Passives
    2. Ultimates

You guys are definetly doing a great job!
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Lack of preemptive defense. You take damage, you heal; you get debuffed, you purge. But there's nothing that allows you to defend against a combo you know is coming or to prep your own, tying magplar to blocking, heavy armor and/or mist form. (Well Ward... lol.) Sorcs shield, NBs clock, Warden has Shimmering, DKs can reflect a few things that haven't been made exceptions yet.

This contributes to the templar feeling of having strict defensive and offensive modes and making it hard to switch between them.

2. Templar has no strong single dps ultimate.

3. Bonus 3rd -- magplars want some stamina resource management as well.
    4. Bonus 4th -- need a CC that works with the class
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    1. Lack of preemptive defense. You take damage, you heal; you get debuffed, you purge. But there's nothing that allows you to defend against a combo you know is coming or to prep your own, tying magplar to blocking, heavy armor and/or mist form. (Well Ward... lol.) Sorcs shield, NBs clock, Warden has Shimmering, DKs can reflect a few things that haven't been made exceptions yet.

This contributes to the templar feeling of having strict defensive and offensive modes and making it hard to switch between them.

2. Templar has no strong single dps ultimate.

3. Bonus 3rd -- magplars want some stamina resource management as well.
    4. Bonus 4th -- need a CC that works with the class

good when its pretty much what i thought. stamina resource stuff will come, cc's and ultimate like i thought and the missing proactive defense was already stated to the devs (hope they didnt forget).
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Passives
    2. Passives
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    1: Passives for sustain and damage
    2: Sweeps/Jabs damage is lackluster even before LA buff and even more after
    Edited by NiclasFridholm on July 30, 2018 5:15PM
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am genuinely curious whether most Templar players actually want the fabled "protect your house" playstyle... Maybe it would be worth polling to see what playstyle players prefer: healbot, houseplar, spartan, monk, etc. Could be interesting to see what people want.

As for a house though, we shouldn't get uber buffs just for standing inside ritual. Maybe though there could be an additional buff effect added to Sacred Ground when standing in both circles simultaneously.

But I'm going to keep lobbying for the Eternal Hunt effect to be added to one of the Focus morphs. I wants et so much D:

• anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Ultimates - I rarely slot a Tempalr ultimate because so many others outperform
    2. We need a CC - we are so vulnerable to them, yet can't return the favor.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I am genuinely curious whether most Templar players actually want the fabled "protect your house" playstyle... Maybe it would be worth polling to see what playstyle players prefer: healbot, houseplar, spartan, monk, etc. Could be interesting to see what people want.

As for a house though, we shouldn't get uber buffs just for standing inside ritual. Maybe though there could be an additional buff effect added to Sacred Ground when standing in both circles simultaneously.

But I'm going to keep lobbying for the Eternal Hunt effect to be added to one of the Focus morphs. I wants et so much D:

In terms of theme I see the Knights/Soldiers of the Imperial Legion written all over the Templar skill line. Stendarr is the patron of the Imperial Legion. Stendarr is the divine most associated with war against undead+daedra. The Imperial Legion most often wields the spear+shield combo. Need I go on? Even the lorebooks seem to point toward this. Because of this theme I've always taken them to be monks, priests, and knights of the legion.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Ok guys, lets start another round of pointing out your two biggest issues with the class.
    keep in mind, that we saw mostly good changes to rune focus (mobility changes), a good increase in the execute damage of the radiant destruction (so that it is worth using again, pvp concerns about spamming it were already brought to the devs) and the taking away of the cast time from solar barrage (together with a damage nerf, i know...).
    In the last live stream Wrobel announced positive changes to the dps capabilities of templars for PvE and some kind of stamina sustain and group support tool (hopefully benefitting stamplar and tankplar sustain) coming with the update 20. now i would be glad to again collect your concerns and pain points regarding the templar class, but remember the changes on the pts and the ones announced for update 20, if they coincide.
    Please state, what is bothering you and i hope i already have a good idea about what you will say, when i think about unnecessary/outdated passives, an underperforming ultimate and missing some good cc abilities (no class root and issues with the current cc's like javelin, focused charge and eclypse).

1) Sustain (restoring aura/repentance too niche/easily replaced compared to other class sustain abilities that are multi-situational and can stack with other forms of sustain)
    2) CC abilities don't synergize with different templar kits, offer competing effects that makes it hard to maintain the templar's "multi-use functionality" intent on their abilities, or are so expensive templars find cheaper alternatives that offer more effects.

So for suggested changes:
    - make repentance grant resources on any crit hit in addition to the burst stamina return on dead bodies (similar to warden's small return on healing, but no-named debuff on any damage),
    - make restoring aura work on granting resources on allies healed in our healing circles and grant a burst resource on successful purges for the templar only.
    - unstable core to be self buffed or AOE cast and grants extra dmg done/healing against targets hit.
    - javelin to be significantly lower cost than other class based CC's that offer more.
    - total dark to remain, since other templars have noted its usefulness to their playstyle (although a persistent effect should remain outside cc imunity)

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all classes should have aspects of area protection with mobility:
    -sorcs have aoe cc streak with mines and mobile friendly shields
    - DKs have armor buff with dmg returned on melee attacks, but have major expedition with a chain spell and burst ultimate with AOE cc and distance.
    - NBs have minor maim with cloak, dodge chance, teleport, AOE unblockable CC and a ground rune that reduces dmg taken.
    - wardens have major expedition and GCD ignoring heals/absorbs (vines, ground based trees, shivering armor, etc).

Templars have no ground based defense aside from snare, single target based defenses (eclipse), no easily accessible mobility buffs with an expensive major maim debuff and stationary heal ultimate. It's time templar gets REALLY strong area based buffs, but more mobile friendly abilities. The rune armor buff was a step in the right direction, but probably not enough.

Edited by Minno on July 30, 2018 6:32PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the hyper mobility meta this patch; it heavily favors some classes over others. I'd be totally fine with challenging that meta, but DKs and Templars would need something really strong to make it work. One idea I spitballed in the DK discord was buffing Standard to grant CC immunity to allies standing in it.

But if we are all going to have to be running around constantly avoiding high damage aoes and aoe stuns, templar needs the option to be mobile. DK can be reasonably mobile with Chain in certain situations, but templar has nothing really.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the hyper mobility meta this patch; it heavily favors some classes over others. I'd be totally fine with challenging that meta, but DKs and Templars would need something really strong to make it work. One idea I spitballed in the DK discord was buffing Standard to grant CC immunity to allies standing in it.

But if we are all going to have to be running around constantly avoiding high damage aoes and aoe stuns, templar needs the option to be mobile. DK can be reasonably mobile with Chain in certain situations, but templar has nothing really.

I agree, though DK's have a cheap AOE cc u;timate that lets them travel distances outside of stamina use while also bursting down enemies. Templars only have ground based effects or stationary abilities that impact your ability to LOS, which i slowly becoming the preferred counter to many OP things in this game.

I think the next step is adding a unique mobility tool outside of major expedition/stamina drain AND finding a way to buffing our protection within our circles or though abilities that help us defend outside of GCDs.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy to hear about the buff to Radiant Destruction (Jesus Beam) and the reversal of the Rune Focus sustain nerf. But here are some other under-performing abilities/passives that should be re-examined.

Abilities:

Rite of Passage: Increase the healing speed/animation of Rite of Passage/Practiced Incantation/Remembrance (Templar healing ultimate). A Templar should not be able to die so easily and so quickly while channeling this ultimate ability. The healing animation/speed of this ability is far too slow in comparison to all other healing abilities. Please take a look at this.

Backlash: Allow Backlash/Power of the Light/Purifying Light to be casted/used from stealth without agro'ing the enemy (similar to NB's marked target ability).

Dark Flare: Remove the casting time of Dark Flare and/or greatly increase Dark Flare damage due to its casting time; (like Snipe -- Snipe does way more damage for the same casting time duration in comparison to Dark Flare).

Blazing Shield: ZOS slightly/successfully returned Jesus Beam to its former glory. Bravo. The same cannot be said to Templar tank's Blazing Shield, which already has several counters, including: Sloads, Shield Breaker, Knight Slayer, and more. Blazing Shield could use a buff to its strength and/or duration to compliment/counter the strength of Sorcerer's Hardened Ward because that is based off of Magicka instead of Health, and the over-performing Sloads (which has yet to be properly nerfed).

Eclipse: Please redesign Eclipse altogether. ZOS, check your ability useage telemetry/measurements/statistics. Hardly anyone uses this ability, especially in PvP, because everyone knows it is on them and it is free CC-immunity for enemy players. Eclipse needs to greatly be changed and reworked altogether, or remove it altogether, and give Templar back Blinding Light/Blinding Flashes with a catch, or something else entirely.

Repentance: It has been said time and time again about Repentance. Please re-buff this ability so Templar tank + Stamplar or Stamplar + Stamplar(s) do not have to fight each other for resource sustain/regen. Make Repentance's usage unique to each Templar themselves. They can coexist!

Piercing Javelin: Increase the damage. Even slightly? Or something. I don't know what else to say.

Passives:

Balanced Warrior: Add 6% spell damage and 2640 physical resistance to the 2/2 "Balanced Warrior" passive (which currently gives 6% weapon damage and 2640 spell resistance).

Spear Wall: Add a 10% reduction cost in blocking to the Spear Wall passive. This will make enable Templar to be a more viable tank, maybe even up to par with DKs. The Spear Wall passive currently only gives an increase in the amount of damage that you can block from melee attacks by 15%. This passive needs to to more than just that one thing, and if ZOS ever changes Spear Wall, any changes should compliment what Spear Wall already does. So, a slight decrease in blocking cost by 5% for 1/2 and 10% for 2/2 would help with that (rather than, say, 15% increase block damage from ranged attacks on top of 15% from melee. That might be too far in one direction).

Light Weaver: "Channeling Rite of Passage grants you 16500 Physical and Spell Resistance" this should also add 10% or 20% Healing Received upon yourself while channeling this ability. The 16500 resistances while channeling is largely useless for most Templars since they are already at or near the resistance cap without this effect.
    For example, PvP Templar Healers are already wearing 5/5 heavy armor and/or are already using Rune Focus or Mighty Chudan (or other sources) for the Major Ward/Resolve buffs. The 16500 physical/spell resistance from channeling Rite of Passage (+ morphs) is largely ineffective and rendered useless when the great majority of Templars are already at the Physical/Spell Resistance cap.
    Adding 10% or 20% Healing Received upon yourself while channeling the Rite of Passage ability (+ morphs) would greatly help with Templar survivability and how slow the healing speed/animation is with this ultimate ability. This healing-received addition would help to prevent Templars from instantly getting killed while Channeling this ultimate ability because the heal speed/animation is far too slow, which makes this ability weak. In addition, the actual healing value done on Rite of Passage/Practiced Incantation/Remembrance is actually lower than that of Breath of Life. Making the healing speed/animation faster rather than increasing the amount healed for would be more effective in countering the issue with the instant-death-while-channeling-this-ulitmate-ability that Templars constantly face.

Master Ritualist: It has been mentioned before, but shouldn't this passive ability be placed into the Alliance War Support ability passive list, instead? (alongside or added to Alliance War Support's Battle Resurrection passive, which gives 30% faster resurrection time while in a PvP area.) Master Ritualist passive in the Templar Restoring Light tree: Increases resurrection speed by 20%, resurrected allies return with 100% more health, and gives you a 50% chance to fill an empty Soul Gem after each successful resurrection. Master Ritualist should be re-named to Battle Resurrection and moved into the Alliance War Support passive category, and Templar's Master Ritualist passive should be replaced and redesigned altogether. Please.

These are all of my current top issues/concerns with Templar, that I can think of at the moment, coming from my main Tankplar and Magplar characters. Primarily from a PvP perspective, and secondarily from a PvE perspective.
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on July 30, 2018 7:19PM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Either way is good. But if were gonna be the stand in a big shiny circle class, lets atleast have a reason. With everyone over defiling that small HoT and minor mending is no a good enough reason. Neither is a small snare. Its not even like we can continue to purge off effects while standing in our cleanse. Infact our cleanse is less desirable to purge in pvp groups bcz its synergy has a longer cool down.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I agree, though DK's have a cheap AOE cc u;timate that lets them travel distances outside of stamina use while also bursting down enemies. Templars only have ground based effects or stationary abilities that impact your ability to LOS, which i slowly becoming the preferred counter to many OP things in this game.

I think the next step is adding a unique mobility tool outside of major expedition/stamina drain AND finding a way to buffing our protection within our circles or though abilities that help us defend outside of GCDs.

Leap is great when everything goes well, but it's not a gap closer or mobility tool. Using Leap against a player running away is fairly dicey; if they outrange your Leap often it just uses your ult but doesn't connect. And when it's laggy I'm hammering my ult button but the player on my screen isn't there as far as the server is concerned so it doesn't go off.

I'd rather see templar get something that targets more like meteor to help it connect more reliably... at least as long as templar is going to be the slow poke.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

hmmm if you think so...
    just remember that blazing spear together with burning light isnt a bad skill, also reflective light/vampires bane isnt the worst skill in the game. also our execute skill finally again can do a lot of damage, so that dps parses of magplars can be really high (saw solo dummy parses of 50k+, which surely isnt bad).
    looks like you are talking about PvE mainly, since breath of life and honor the dead have still great use in more than only PvP.

Correct. I'm entirely focused on PvE.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, Repentance at its best was rather dubious as a group heal.

Maybe it should be changed to be entirely selfish, perhaps restoring 3-4 resources (ultimate would be the 4th). Then it could be a really good tanking skill in a class that otherwise has very few of those. And it could also make a big dent in sustain challenges.
  • turlisley
    turlisley
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to hear about the buff to Radiant Destruction (Jesus Beam) and the reversal of the Rune Focus sustain nerf. But here are some other under-performing abilities/passives that should be re-examined.

Abilities:

Rite of Passage: Increase the healing speed/animation of Rite of Passage/Practiced Incantation/Remembrance (Templar healing ultimate). A Templar should not be able to die so easily and so quickly while channeling this ultimate ability. The healing animation/speed of this ability is far too slow in comparison to all other healing abilities. Please take a look at this.

Backlash: Allow Backlash/Power of the Light/Purifying Light to be casted/used from stealth without agro'ing the enemy (similar to NB's marked target ability).

Dark Flare: Remove the casting time of Dark Flare and/or greatly increase Dark Flare damage due to its casting time; (like Snipe -- Snipe does way more damage for the same casting time duration in comparison to Dark Flare).

Blazing Shield: ZOS slightly/successfully returned Jesus Beam to its former glory. Bravo. The same cannot be said to Templar tank's Blazing Shield, which already has several counters, including: Sloads, Shield Breaker, Knight Slayer, and more. Blazing Shield could use a buff to its strength and/or duration to compliment/counter the strength of Sorcerer's Hardened Ward because that is based off of Magicka instead of Health, and the over-performing Sloads (which has yet to be properly nerfed).

Eclipse: Please redesign Eclipse altogether. ZOS, check your ability useage telemetry/measurements/statistics. Hardly anyone uses this ability, especially in PvP, because everyone knows it is on them and it is free CC-immunity for enemy players. Eclipse needs to greatly be changed and reworked altogether, or remove it altogether, and give Templar back Blinding Light/Blinding Flashes with a catch, or something else entirely.

Repentance: It has been said time and time again about Repentance. Please re-buff this ability so Templar tank + Stamplar or Stamplar + Stamplar(s) do not have to fight each other for resource sustain/regen. Make Repentance's usage unique to each Templar themselves. They can coexist!

Piercing Javelin: Increase the damage. Even slightly? Or something. I don't know what else to say.

Passives:

Balanced Warrior: Add 6% spell damage and 2640 physical resistance to the 2/2 "Balanced Warrior" passive (which currently gives 6% weapon damage and 2640 spell resistance).

Spear Wall: Add a 10% reduction cost in blocking to the Spear Wall passive. This will make enable Templar to be a more viable tank, maybe even up to par with DKs. The Spear Wall passive currently only gives an increase in the amount of damage that you can block from melee attacks by 15%. This passive needs to to more than just that one thing, and if ZOS ever changes Spear Wall, any changes should compliment what Spear Wall already does. So, a slight decrease in blocking cost by 5% for 1/2 and 10% for 2/2 would help with that (rather than, say, 15% increase block damage from ranged attacks on top of 15% from melee. That might be too far in one direction).

Light Weaver: "Channeling Rite of Passage grants you 16500 Physical and Spell Resistance" this should also add 10% or 20% Healing Received upon yourself while channeling this ability. The 16500 resistances while channeling is largely useless for most Templars since they are already at or near the resistance cap without this effect.
    For example, PvP Templar Healers are already wearing 5/5 heavy armor and/or are already using Rune Focus or Mighty Chudan (or other sources) for the Major Ward/Resolve buffs. The 16500 physical/spell resistance from channeling Rite of Passage (+ morphs) is largely ineffective and rendered useless when the great majority of Templars are already at the Physical/Spell Resistance cap.
    Adding 10% or 20% Healing Received upon yourself while channeling the Rite of Passage ability (+ morphs) would greatly help with Templar survivability and how slow the healing speed/animation is with this ultimate ability. This healing-received addition would help to prevent Templars from instantly getting killed while Channeling this ultimate ability because the heal speed/animation is far too slow, which makes this ability weak. In addition, the actual healing value done on Rite of Passage/Practiced Incantation/Remembrance is actually lower than that of Breath of Life. Making the healing speed/animation faster rather than increasing the amount healed for would be more effective in countering the issue with the instant-death-while-channeling-this-ulitmate-ability that Templars constantly face.

Master Ritualist: It has been mentioned before, but shouldn't this passive ability be placed into the Alliance War Support ability passive list, instead? (alongside or added to Alliance War Support's Battle Resurrection passive, which gives 30% faster resurrection time while in a PvP area.) Master Ritualist passive in the Templar Restoring Light tree: Increases resurrection speed by 20%, resurrected allies return with 100% more health, and gives you a 50% chance to fill an empty Soul Gem after each successful resurrection. Master Ritualist should be re-named to Battle Resurrection and moved into the Alliance War Support passive category, and Templar's Master Ritualist passive should be replaced and redesigned altogether. Please.

These are all of my current top issues/concerns with Templar, that I can think of at the moment, coming from my main Tankplar and Magplar characters. Primarily from a PvP perspective, and secondarily from a PvE perspective.

These would all be great changes / improvements to Templar. Very modest, none are OP at all. They just make perfect sense.
    Idk why the ZOS Class/Combat Team hasn't figured these out or implemented them yet. It would be great if they would at least read of this and comment / give feedback on their thoughts/ideas/direction/reasoning for not including any of this.
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Turlisley
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys is this all feedback you got? Everything covered with the last meeting notes? I hardly can believe that.
    Anyway once again, give me your feedback, just maybe for a while ignore jesus beam (gets buffed), rune focus (gets somehow buffed), solar barrage (buff and nerf), magplar dps capablities (comes with update 20) and stamplar sustain/support (also comes with update 20). I really want to hear about every other concern/problem you have with the class.