Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Apparent Master Writ issue with motif completion

Woolenthreads
Woolenthreads
✭✭✭✭
I've mentioned this on another thread but I think it needs reports by other people to confirm it as a "theory"

One thing I noticed was that of my four CP (all maxed L50 for crafts) crafters, the one with the least complete motif set (9) got the most MW's (5) and the one with the most complete motif set (14 complete) got the least (1). This got me curious and I intended to continue testing it but then they swapped out from US to EU and I couldn't determine whether it was RNG or not.

That specific trend has continued on the Live Servers.

So have other people with multiple crafters noticed this or am I just suffering from RNG. I'd like to see reports of motif completion vs MW's collected to disprove the thought that it's programming and confirm that it's RNG (Just saying "I don't have a problem" isn't good enough in my opinion.). If you think more data should be specified (Toxicology Achievemennt, Potent Enchanter Achievement), just say so :).
Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's a little early yet to draw any conclusions, but it's something that needs to be watched. I to have a crafter that has all traits on every piece of weapn and armor, plus all the motifs except a few pages of Akaviri. And so far he has only recieved one Blacksmithing equipment writ worth 7 vouchers. Others have received Blacksmithing and Clothing writs but they have nowhere near the motif knowledge that my main crafter has achieved. It could be just terrible RNG, or the Motif modifier is actually broken and makes no difference in MCW acquisition whatsoever.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that's why I ask for MW drop data from other players :). We can build up the data from sheer number of writs completed.

So really There should also be listed the number of completed writs.

There is also the possibility that the characters do not receive MW's until they have completed the Housing Quest, but that might be supposition on my part.

Not counting the first day of the DLC when I did Writs prior to questing (assuming that the Housing Writ has an effect) I have completed 6 Writs per day on 4 CP crafters. That is therefore 72 96 writs.
    #1. Complete Motif Sets 14+1close 1 Blacksmith, 1 clothing and 1 Alchemy
    #2. Complete Motif Sets 10+1close 1 clothing and 1 Alchemy
    #3. Complete Motif Sets 5+3close 1 Blacksmith, 1 Clothing, 1 Woodwork. and 1 Alchemy
    #4. Complete Motif Sets 17+3close None

# Edit: Confitrmation of the housing quest being unrelated changes the numbers
    Edited by Woolenthreads on February 11, 2017 11:33AM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only have 2 that are at max crafting levels. My main, who has a larger list of motifs collected, and my alt.

My main:
    She has done all 6 each day since Homestead came out.
    She has gotten ZERO Master Writs.
    She has NOT completed the housing quest.

Today, I finally played on my Alt.
    She did 6 Writs today
    She DID get a Master Writ for Blacksmithing
    She also has NOT completed the housing quest.

I was kinda bummed too about it, that my main hasn't gotten one yet. I would have banked it for her, but I was kinda shocked when I saw it and curiosity got the best of me!
    Oh, and this alt also found a page Ra Gada motif page in a random chest found in the wild. My main hasn't found anything like that lol.

Hope this is what you were looking for :)
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is. I do have confirmation from another source that the housing quest didn't affect getting a writ. That just makes it worse..

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main with maxed traits and all motifs except the new ones has gotten only consumables master writs so far. My other 11 toons, all max crafters but with only few motifs and maybe half traits have gotten a wide assortment of master writs so far. Not a huge sample size yet but if there is a trend, it would be nice for ZOS to at least look into it. It really does feel like my one max crafter is getting some sort of penalty.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My assumption currently is that the MW chance is capped to around 10%..15%.
    - Alchemy and enchanting chance comes purely from achievement completion percentage.
    - Provisioning comes from achievement and blue or better recipes. Half of the quests, which make CP50 food, don't have any chance.
    - Gear writ chance is sum of trait research in each sector, motif knowledge and achievements.

My master crafters are getting slightly more or at least same amount of MW than midclass crafters. Every crafter is currently lacking on gear achievements, assuming they count in the new housing achievements.Two or three midclass crafters beat one master crafter.

I can see that alchemy and enchanting drop more often than others. Gear wits drop sporadically and provisioning rarely.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll point out that my Guild Master and her Significant Other have both gotten 1 MW each from their Primary Crafters off of 84 Writs. They are extremely unhappy about it.

@helediron I'm afraid your assumption was incorrect at least as far as the PTS was concerned with the Template Character Maxed on Everything with all Motifs having a drop of 1 MW in 3 writs. As far as I could tell that was equally shared across the types of writs.

There is also a possibility that they will adjust the entire thing in a patch and make it a redundant question.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on February 11, 2017 11:05AM

• Whilhelmina
    Whilhelmina
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to drop more writs with my char than hubby.
    We both have every crafting classes maxed out, alchemy and rune traits learned, but I'm lacking all nirnhoned traits and most of the motifs (I have the basic blue and purple ones, Soulshriven, Hollowjack and grim harlequin) while he has all nirnhoned traits and all motifs. I'm also lacking some blue and purple provi recipes while he has all of them.

I got 6 writs on my char and he got 2 if we remember correctly
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll point out that my Guild Master and her Significant Other have both gotten 1 MW each from their Primary Crafters off of 84 Writs. They are extremely unhappy about it.

@helediron I'm afraid your assumption was incorrect at least as far as the PTS was concerned with the Template Character Maxed on Everything with all Motifs having a drop of 1 MW in 3 writs. As far as I could tell that was equally shared across the types of writs.

There is also a possibility that they will adjust the entire thing in a patch and make it a redundant question.
    Um, exactly which assumption was wrong? My master crafter (EU copy) which knows everything, did 6 writs daily in PTS and got one MW per day 7 days in a row, then had one day none and next day two. But also i admit this was too little data and still very much speculation.

I am willing state at least that true master crafters certainly can't brag of their drop rates over army of mediocre crafters. Quantity clearly wins quality. All the superwrits i have got have dropped to mediocre crafters.

I have not yet collected live data. I am adjusting my crafters based on my assumptions and usually first patches fine-tune things. I am planning to gather next two weeks the MW results.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    *tinfoil hat time* They obviously made it a higher chance on toons with few motifs to get you to buy those motifs from the crown store! *tinfoil hat off*
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My master writ stats for the 3 smithing writs are:
    • Max Crafter = 1 for 6
    • Mule Crafter = 1 for 60

My max crafter only knows 509/630 motif chapters so there's a chance that getting 100% has a large boost to receiving master writs.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »

Um, exactly which assumption was wrong? My master crafter (EU copy) which knows everything, did 6 writs daily in PTS and got one MW per day 7 days in a row, then had one day none and next day two. But also i admit this was too little data and still very much speculation.

I am willing state at least that true master crafters certainly can't brag of their drop rates over army of mediocre crafters. Quantity clearly wins quality. All the superwrits i have got have dropped to mediocre crafters.

I have not yet collected live data. I am adjusting my crafters based on my assumptions and usually first patches fine-tune things. I am planning to gather next two weeks the MW results.

"My assumption currently is that the MW chance is capped to around 10%..15%."

1 in 3 is 33%. That is for a character that has every motif such as the Template Character I mentioned on PTS.

Most Crafters are likely to have had full motif sets of about 10 in my opinion which should certainly get a drop rate of 1 in 10.

I'm coming around to the idea that I might have had a burst of stupidly high RNG for my #2 and #3 on the second day following the writs given that #1 and #4 got 1 each yesterday.

• Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greevir wrote: »
    *tinfoil hat time* They obviously made it a higher chance on toons with few motifs to get you to buy those motifs from the crown store! *tinfoil hat off*

LOL

Actually this may be the clue;
    "The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.

This includes research, Motif knowledge, and achievement completion."

"Achievement Completion". I wonder if the PC's that are having issues with picking up writs completed Achievements on a main (wearing epic gear for instance, might be considered relevant) but not their crafters and this is causing them issues. Unfortunately for me my Main Crafter is also the one who picked up many of the achievements so I'm uncertain whether they have relevant ones or not.

I think that PC's need a lot more information about the Achievements required. I know a lot of players, with multiple crafters, haven't been OCD about getting Nirnonhed Traits trained, like I have on my four crafters.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on February 11, 2017 11:57PM

• lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also get the idea that the chances somehow reversed, but maybe that is just rng.

I have one master crafter, which can do a huge amount of styles (really not all. have been so much lately) and recipes and also nearly all traits (except for some blacksmithing weapons), nearly everything 8 or 9 traits, medium amour all 9 traits, woodworking all 9 traits.
    This character does all the writs at max level.
    This character got 3 master writs. (one for 10 vouchers, one for 2 vouchers, one for 5)

The character which had provisioning and alchemy on max level, doesnt even know all the blue styles, or even all the recipes you need for the writs. This character did not do the crafting writs until a day later than the first one.
    Also this character does only the provisioning and the alchemy writs.
    This character got 3 master writs. (one for 79 vouchers, odd enough a clothiers master writ.... and two for 5 vouchers alchemy and enchantment)

Since the first character is more crafty and completes 6 writs a day.. whereas the second character is really no crafter only does 2, and has one day less of writs until know. It seems a bit like odd odds.. also I find it weird that you dont get master crafting writs fitting the profession of the turned in writ
    but maybe just RNG.

also I have the idea that I am getting a lot less surveys lately (but before the new update I had given up on crafting for a while.. so I dont know)
    PC-EU @lientier
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS: My main is really an achievement hunter (in all achievement types). And had all the profession achiement prior to the update.. My twink has only the standart ones you get from getting to level 50 in the two professions she is level 50 and so on
    PC-EU @lientier
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems like RNG

I have 9 crafting chars. The most MW received was indeed on my main crafter.

I had 2 really good days where i received 3-4 MW a day. On other days i received 0. Furthermore, one of my new crafters hasn't received even 1 MW yet (or 1, i'm not sure).

I will post exact information in a week or two when i have more data.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Sounomi
    Sounomi
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 crafters right now that I do max level writs on each day. Two of them have all traits researched and the vast majority of all of the motifs learned with one of them having slightly more. The third one has a lot of motifs learned but is only about half way done with trait research. Frankly, I can't tell any significant difference between the three of them without actually jotting down what each one gets. The two with all of the traits done seem to get them a bit more often than the newer char but even that one has gotten them a lot. I've gotten maybe 15 master writs so far between the three of them so I don't think the calculations are reversed either.

So I'd say people with bad luck with them are just having that, bad luck. Some times RNG just bites you in the ass and refuses to let go. I've certainly been there before as I like to hunt for all of motif chapters myself.