Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw the Crown Store Showcase.

I got that zombie horse and the two weird polymorphs when they sold during the first Witches Festival. And you know what, I am happy for all those who missed the first opportunity to get them and who will get them now.

You know who will be upset about this move of yours? Nobody. None will be unhappy that you brought them back for direct purchase.
    See, was it difficult? No it wasn't. You probably just had to tick a box and make it go from hidden to public in the rear gears of the Store.

Now can we just get out of the total hypocrisy in which we're drowning and admit that the Crates are only about the exclusives? They have been since conception, and always will be only about the exclusives, and about how to overprice them.

Don't ever say anymore that it is the single only way you found to bring the former time-limited collectibles back without player uproar, because you just demonstrated that it is a lie, plain and simple.

Hypocrisy and lies aren't a virtue that I praise, ZOS.
    Edited by VerboseQuips on September 30, 2016 4:41PM
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't ever say anymore that it is the single only way you found to bring the former time-limited collectibles back without player uproar
    They did the same with the IC event and the Mind Shriven skin and mount. The only complaint I saw was that it was more expensive the second time.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ever say anymore that it is the single only way you found to bring the former time-limited collectibles back without player uproar, because you just demonstrated that it is a lie, plain and simple.
    They never said that.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MonkeyD
    MonkeyD
    ✭✭
    So the only and really only thing i would want from this crown crates would be the costume " Priest of the green" which was available a few month ago.
    I was at holiday for that time and now i hope i can get it, maybe someone can tell me if it's possible to get via crates?
    EP Magicka Sorcerer Makarov
    EP Magicka Templer MonkeyD
    EP Magicka DK Laxus

proud member of Colosseum guild
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MonkeyD wrote: »
    So the only and really only thing i would want from this crown crates would be the costume " Priest of the green" which was available a few month ago.
    I was at holiday for that time and now i hope i can get it, maybe someone can tell me if it's possible to get via crates?
    It wasn't in the drop list for the Storm Atronoch themed crate we had to test with on PTS. However, data mining suggests there will be other themed crates (Hearthfire, Wild hunt). We don't have the contents of those crates, but I wouldn't be surprised to see priest of the green in one of them.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Kendaric wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for both 1 collectible in each crate with the crappy consumables?

Pretty sure there's a collectible in every crate

Nope, I've got a few crates with no collectibles and so have others. It happens rarely, but it does happen.

I hate to be negative nancy on this, as I don't like crown crates either, but has anyone taken a video or a screenshot of getting 0 collectibles?

Screenshot_20160921_144736.png
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Kendaric wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for both 1 collectible in each crate with the crappy consumables?

Pretty sure there's a collectible in every crate

Nope, I've got a few crates with no collectibles and so have others. It happens rarely, but it does happen.

I hate to be negative nancy on this, as I don't like crown crates either, but has anyone taken a video or a screenshot of getting 0 collectibles?

Screenshot_20160921_144736.png
    Another reason why the higher-tier XP scrolls shouldn't exist. They take a spot that would otherwise be a collectible.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I read this interview, the more it pisses me off.

MMORPG: Why now add these to ESO, several years on?

MF: ESO is a living, breathing service and as such we make changes to it every quarter or so – new content, new systems, fixes, balance changes, etc. Just over a year ago we changed the game’s primary revenue model from subscription-required to subscription-optional, for example. This coming Update, we will drop character level requirements for exploring content, which is a large change to the game that we think will make the game more socially enabled and make it easier for players to find friends and group with them. We are committed to keeping the game fresh and interesting for players for the life of the game, so we will add new systems from time to time – Crown Crates is an example of this.

Totally avoided the question. I guess ripping off your customers is fresh?
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    The more I read this interview, the more it pisses me off.

MMORPG: Why now add these to ESO, several years on?

MF: ESO is a living, breathing service and as such we make changes to it every quarter or so – new content, new systems, fixes, balance changes, etc. Just over a year ago we changed the game’s primary revenue model from subscription-required to subscription-optional, for example. This coming Update, we will drop character level requirements for exploring content, which is a large change to the game that we think will make the game more socially enabled and make it easier for players to find friends and group with them. We are committed to keeping the game fresh and interesting for players for the life of the game, so we will add new systems from time to time – Crown Crates is an example of this.

I asked this question twice during the Reddit AMA and got no response. No one wants to explain the true reason we have these now and not at launch.
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make it 5 crowns and you have a deal, 400 crowns? Is this One Tamriel or One Vegas?
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Make it 5 crowns and you have a deal, 400 crowns? Is this One Tamriel or One Vegas?

I wish, in Vegas they actually tell you the odds... AND there's free booze.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • raffael.geislerb16_ESO
    I did not test the crates but I want to provide some general feedback.

I don't think anyone buys Crown crates for the consumables. Considering the number of all possible vanity items within a crate the chance to receive a particular one is low and you will most probably end up with something you don't care about or did not want in the first place. This makes the crates completely unattractive IMHO and I am probably not the only player doing the maths.

According to information provided in this thread there seem to be many awesome items exclusive to Crown crates. So where to spend Crowns from ESO+ if all these things are locked behind gambling? I don't see reasons for an ongoing Crown purchase subscription (which is ESO+, with additional benefits) if there is nothing good available in the shop anymore.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not test the crates but I want to provide some general feedback.

I don't think anyone buys Crown crates for the consumables. Considering the number of all possible vanity items within a crate the chance to receive a particular one is low and you will most probably end up with something you don't care about or did not want in the first place. This makes the crates completely unattractive IMHO and I am probably not the only player doing the maths.

According to information provided in this thread there seem to be many awesome items exclusive to Crown crates. So where to spend Crowns from ESO+ if all these things are locked behind gambling? I don't see reasons for an ongoing Crown purchase subscription (which is ESO+, with additional benefits) if there is nothing good available in the shop anymore.

They were never designed with consumables as the motivating factor despite what we were told.

A crate of consumables, the ones you probably already buy. Small chance for past items or some exclusives. This is bs. They know almost no one will find a use for the consumables. That's why they loaded them with exclusives. They practically acknowledge this by planning to allow consumables to be traded for gems.

They also say these are being added 2 years later as one of many systems to keep the game fresh and interesting for the players. However, almost no one wants them. They know crown crates suck and that's why they are being very deceptive.
    Edited by JimT722 on October 2, 2016 7:23PM
  • The_Undefined
    The_Undefined
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although I've been extremely vocal about my disapproval and disappointment at these being implemented, I did try them on the PTS. My experience with them has reaffirmed my staunch stance upon these items. As other posters have stated before me, the investment is not at all worth the gamble.

Consumables: I never use crown store consumables, because they're too 'precious' to be used, unless on special fights that are never worth them. Thus, they just sit in my inventory. The weight of responsibility of using the items is too much for me to actually use them. Due to this, I never use crown store items nor do I ever invest in them. The bulk of my crown crate returns were these items, and I did not get enough of them to make it feel like I could use them comfortably, thus, they just crowded my inventory.

Costumes: With 10 crown crates I believe I got 2 or 3 costumes with duplicates. Most of the costumes were lower tier and I never saw myself using them. I felt the soul shriven costumes were cheap to put in the crown crates since they're just ragged leathers. I also didn't feel the hats were worth the crate investment. They all looked like ugly Gandalf rejected wizard hats that wouldn't suite any costume I wore.

Appearance / Hair styles / Adornments / Tattoos: I got a tattoo marking that was race restricted to a race I don't play.

Pets / Mounts: I was able to obtain the tier below Apex and a special pet. Again, neither mount or pet felt as they were worth the 5k gems I invested.

Duplicates: I ended up with 20gems after 5k crowns worth of crates. I thought that was absolutely horrid compared to the apex worth mounts. I couldn't even buy a nice costume of my choosing after 10 crates.

Conclusion: I would never invest in these crates. I understand I already have my stance on this issue, but I did try to approach this with an open mind. It seemed very obvious that I was going to lose with this gamble. When I did win something of value, I felt cheated / ripped off instead of victorious or excited. Nothing was worth the amount of crowns spent.

How would I change this? Lower the cost of the crates by a substantial amount, increase the cost of duplicate gems returned, cut out the number of items by half in the crates to allow for more duplicates, and lower the cost of all the gem purchases by a lot (Apex = 150 gems, tier below that = 75 gems, tier below that = 50 gems, tier below that 25, lowest should be 5-10gems). Also, offer a guaranteed item per crate instead of a chance at one. In either case, I probably still wouldn't purchase these crates because they're too investment heavy with very little reward.
    Edited by The_Undefined on October 2, 2016 7:59PM
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    The more I read this interview, the more it pisses me off
    [Snip]
    "We are committed to keeping the game fresh and interesting for players for the life of the game, so we will add new systems from time to time – Crown Crates is an example of this."

Yeah, it was a non-answer. All updates are to keep the game fresh.

Mr. Firor is a smart man. He knows the audience for his interviews are too smart for these bs lines. I can only imagine that this whole initiative is something forced upon him by Zenimax Media, and he knows that nothing he says will be acceptable. So he chooses to say nothing.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

I wish, in Vegas they actually tell you the odds... AND there's free booze.
    If they added free booze to crown crates, maybe I'd be more OK with them. I'm not sure how they'd work out the logistics of delivering it though. I think it would take a while for a cocktail waitress to get from ZOS HQ to my place.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MadLarkin wrote: »
    Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for taking part in testing Crown Crates. Tomorrow after our scheduled maintenance (which includes the PTS), Crown Crates will no longer be available for testing. If you have any Crown Crates in your inventory after the maintenance tomorrow, you will still be able to open them, but no new Crown Crates can be purchased. Additionally, when you run out of Crown Crates, the UI to open them will also no longer be accessible.

Just a reminder that we do plan on making some changes based on all the feedback we received, which you can read here, before Crown Crates are released later this year.

Edit: Also, just want to confirm that the email some of you received is legit.

Allow me to reiterate what I said earlier. This entire situation was planned out ahead of time.

*ZOS announces "feature" that they know will crash and burn with many players, as the system is designed to drain the wallets of parents and people with more money than sense.
    *ZOS has the system all but complete with a high level of polish even before it is released on PTS, letting you know that this system is going into the game, no matter the reaction of the player base.
    *ZOS creates two forum threads on the matter. One for general discussion, and one for PTS testing. In both threads, the feedback is what I would call overwhelmingly negative. ZOS entirely ignores the ethical concerns voiced by the community.
    *ZOS offers to make minor changes "based on feedback" which, once they are implemented, will do very little (mark my words) to offset the scummy nature of this entire system.

Those changes aren't meant for us. They're what was approved by the higher ups and the marketing department ahead of time in order to attempt to placate us without compromising the money-making integrity of the crown box system. In other words, the time this system spent on the PTS and the two feedback threads were just for show. They knew how this would be implemented, and had a list of changes they were willing to make ahead of time in order to make it seem as though they were listening.

I find this to be offensive. Game developers used to do just fine financially without bringing in marketing experts that couldn't care less about gaming. Of course the landscape has changed. Of course MMO's have a large amount of overhead. But let me say again that there are numerous other forms of revenue streams to create before resorting to something as insulting and predatory as this. And what's worse than the crown crate system itself, is the lie that they are for our benefit and that you care about our feedback in regards to them.

They dont care about us. They have not for a long time.

They''ll care when we start strangling them, hands at their throat, cutting off cash flow. So start doing it.
  • MadLarkin
    MadLarkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for taking part in testing Crown Crates. Tomorrow after our scheduled maintenance (which includes the PTS), Crown Crates will no longer be available for testing. If you have any Crown Crates in your inventory after the maintenance tomorrow, you will still be able to open them, but no new Crown Crates can be purchased. Additionally, when you run out of Crown Crates, the UI to open them will also no longer be accessible.

Just a reminder that we do plan on making some changes based on all the feedback we received, which you can read here, before Crown Crates are released later this year.

Edit: Also, just want to confirm that the email some of you received is legit.

Allow me to reiterate what I said earlier. This entire situation was planned out ahead of time.

*ZOS announces "feature" that they know will crash and burn with many players, as the system is designed to drain the wallets of parents and people with more money than sense.
    *ZOS has the system all but complete with a high level of polish even before it is released on PTS, letting you know that this system is going into the game, no matter the reaction of the player base.
    *ZOS creates two forum threads on the matter. One for general discussion, and one for PTS testing. In both threads, the feedback is what I would call overwhelmingly negative. ZOS entirely ignores the ethical concerns voiced by the community.
    *ZOS offers to make minor changes "based on feedback" which, once they are implemented, will do very little (mark my words) to offset the scummy nature of this entire system.

Those changes aren't meant for us. They're what was approved by the higher ups and the marketing department ahead of time in order to attempt to placate us without compromising the money-making integrity of the crown box system. In other words, the time this system spent on the PTS and the two feedback threads were just for show. They knew how this would be implemented, and had a list of changes they were willing to make ahead of time in order to make it seem as though they were listening.

I find this to be offensive. Game developers used to do just fine financially without bringing in marketing experts that couldn't care less about gaming. Of course the landscape has changed. Of course MMO's have a large amount of overhead. But let me say again that there are numerous other forms of revenue streams to create before resorting to something as insulting and predatory as this. And what's worse than the crown crate system itself, is the lie that they are for our benefit and that you care about our feedback in regards to them.

They dont care about us. They have not for a long time.

They''ll care when we start strangling them, hands at their throat, cutting off cash flow. So start doing it.

The wife and I are both new to ESO. If I had known about the crates ahead of time, we probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place to be honest. Although I'm unfamiliar with some of their past missteps.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The wife and I are both new to ESO. If I had known about the crates ahead of time, we probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place to be honest.
    I wouldn't let the crates sour you on the game just yet. The game itself is fantastic, and it's only going to get better with One Tamriel. And the crates aren't out yet. Let's see what gets changed about them before we pass final judgement.

The reason there is so much negativity on these forums is basically *because* the game is great. We hate that Zenimax is probably shooting themselves in the foot with their business decisions.

There was a similar uproar when the game first got rid of mandatory subscriptions and opened the Crown Store, but the store has actually been very well implemented thus far, imo. They've done a good job with keeping it mostly cosmetics, with only a few underpowered utility items. Many players can ignore it without it really affecting them. I think that implementation has earned them a little benefit of the doubt that they will fix the problems with the crates.

Really, with just two steps, the crates could become acceptable: guarantee 5-10 gems per crate regardless of duplicates, and publish the drop rates for the different cosmetics. With guaranteed gems, people can easily calculate a worst case scenario for the cosmetic they want. And with drop rates published, the remaining risk can be properly taken into account.
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to "make the crates work."

I wanted... a game with meaningful and consistent content — one packed with hundreds of hours of gameplay that can be experienced right away and one that will be supported with premium customer support. Charging a flat monthly (or subscription) fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make...

I think...The Elder Scrolls games are all about allowing the player to go where they want, be who they want, and do what they want," he said. "We feel that putting pay gates between the player and content at any point in-game ruins that feeling of freedom, and just having one small monthly fee for 100 percent access to the game fits the IP and the game much better than a system where you have to pay for features and access as you play....

It's like watching some slowly lower themselves onto a knife.
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Titansteele
    Titansteele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty I think there needs to be something that is on the store that can be used to chew up the "odd" number of crowns you end up having sitting about after buying what you actually want.

I may have been a bit flippant with the 5 crowns comment but if it was 50 crowns I would consider it sensible. If I had 800 crowns in my wallet and I bought a pet for 700 I would happily burn away the other 100 crowns on a couple of crates even if all I ended up with was a few gems and some pots that I delete/use seeing as I have them.

In short everything has a price point, 400 is certainly too high for me.
    Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well all of us we have said what we have said. No doubt it has been read. No doubt little has been acted upon. No doubt there are many at ZOS who share our sentiments but are unable to express them publically. Khajiit would like those ones to know that many of us understand this yes.

So there are only two things now in our power to do.

First - Join PAWS - you may do this yes by just adding the line in the signature of this one into the signature of your own. No membership fee, no formal register, just a polite collective voice for the dislike of the horrible boxes.

Second - Do not buy a crate. Not one. Not ever. No not even when you are really really drunk.

Also make sure your friends and guildmates who may not read these forums are aware of the relevant discussions and are advised to read them and make up their own minds before these things go live. A true friend does not let the other gamble away coins which could be spent on drinking for both yes!

Your coin is your voice. Always use it wisely.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »
    The wife and I are both new to ESO. If I had known about the crates ahead of time, we probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place to be honest.
    I wouldn't let the crates sour you on the game just yet. The game itself is fantastic, and it's only going to get better with One Tamriel. And the crates aren't out yet. Let's see what gets changed about them before we pass final judgement.

The reason there is so much negativity on these forums is basically *because* the game is great. We hate that Zenimax is probably shooting themselves in the foot with their business decisions.

There was a similar uproar when the game first got rid of mandatory subscriptions and opened the Crown Store, but the store has actually been very well implemented thus far, imo. They've done a good job with keeping it mostly cosmetics, with only a few underpowered utility items. Many players can ignore it without it really affecting them. I think that implementation has earned them a little benefit of the doubt that they will fix the problems with the crates.

Really, with just two steps, the crates could become acceptable: guarantee 5-10 gems per crate regardless of duplicates, and publish the drop rates for the different cosmetics. With guaranteed gems, people can easily calculate a worst case scenario for the cosmetic they want. And with drop rates published, the remaining risk can be properly taken into account.

@silvereyes ,

Going the route to guarantee a number of Crown Gems per Crate is for sure more palatable than the current version.
    It also diminishes the gambling character.
    But suggesting a guaranteed 5-10 Crown Gems.... suggesting 10 is desired, but I could live with 5 ???

Let me take the examples of some limited edition mounts: the Black Sench Panther for 2,500 in May 2015, the Frost Mare offered in the summer of 2015, for 3,000 Crowns and the Dro-m’Athra Senche, for 4,000 Crowns in May 2016.
    Every time again a steeper price, lots of discussions and I do indeed see them, Dro-m’Athra Senche being the most popular.
    But those could be purchased without the RNG gambling wall.

IF we would get a guaranteed 5 Crown Gems, we would have to buy 20 Crates for the Frost Mare, or 8,000 Crowns.
    That is still plain ridiculous !!!

And one could argue ofc that you get back some additional Crown Gems from duplicates....
    But that means that you have first have to invest thousands of Crowns to get your duplicates in place, BEFORE you get your needed Crown Gems from duplicates.
    => only feasible if you are heading for the 400 Crown Gems Apex Mounts AND you have lots of money in your RL wallet.

Then again, one could argue that investing thousands of Crowns to get enough duplicates is a good investment for when the next round comes with the fire Crown Crates, and then the Ice Crown Crates, etc.
    But I will eat my hat, in fact all my hats, when the lower level items will NOT be exchanged by new items.
    AND when those lower level items are exchanged, you need every round again thousands of Crowns to get enough duplicates.

I saw another post suggesting to sell the Crown Crates for 50 Crowns.
    burning away some small pocket money.
    And that would set the Cost/Benefit ratio imo right.
    But it would also further emphasise the gambling character of this feature......

A little bit of tinkering from our side (5-10 guaranteed Crowns) or a little bit of tinkering from Bethesda side will not help at all.

If this merchandising feature is to be continued..... really drastic changes need to be done.

In her current concept and cost/benefit ratio this whole Crown Crate feature is heading for disaster !!!

Edited by hrothbern on October 3, 2016 11:49AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • probablyafk
    probablyafk
    ✭✭✭
    I started playing SWOTOR recently as an aside. I spent $200 on coins there in the first month, and a bunch of those went on crates, just to check it out and see. So I'm the sort of person who happily junks cash on crates for some fun rewards and things that I cannot otherwise buy.

One of the key differences in that system compared to this one is that theirs has no consumables, where as all indications are the rate of consumable drops here is extremely high. And there are lots of extra cosmetic things in those crates that make a difference - hundreds of styles, mounts, decorations etc.

Every single list I've read of people detailing what they got from 10+ crates here is absolutely uninspiring.

I'll easilly spend $80/month on fun junk on ESO ... but this doesn't look very fun. If you want to see crates at the price you're selling them you need to make more content for them of better quality. The idea that I'd get poisons or potions from a crate is painfully offensive - those items are junk, I run around with hundreds of them. No one is complaining about the price or accessiility of consumables in ESO, why the hell would you make them so common in crates?

I don't even mind really rare exclusives in the crates. That's cool. But I'm not going to spend cash for the tiny chance of getting the special super rare if everything else that comes out of it is basically junk. And, honestly, if you're already into the habit of spending crowns (like I am) then 95% of the things you can get in these crates is a duplicate or something you don't want.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Go ahead and let it sour them. I won't lie, but I also won't defend Crown Crates so that they will play the game. My feeling is that Bethesda and ZOS have spent a lot of time and effort making something most players don't want. It is not my job to put up curtains and light the scented candles so that people will be happy.

I love the game, but I think I have a pretty good idea now where it is headed. They actually have a Marketing person now. They can get people interested, if they want. They don't need me to help them sell their game. I am done promoting their game, getting people to play, buying copies of the game for people who are on the fence, keeping them up to date on game news, and all that.

First - Join PAWS - you may do this yes by just adding the line in the signature of this one into the signature of your own. No membership fee, no formal register, just a polite collective voice for the dislike of the horrible boxes.

Second - Do not buy a crate. Not one. Not ever. No not even when you are really really drunk.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • sebban
    sebban
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just scrap the whole idea of crown crates. It's the worst idea in ESO so far. Make everything purchasable for crown directly. Nothing else is acceptable in my opinion.
    PC EU
    Dweia Ceban - StamDK
    Adara Ceban - MagBlade
    Daewa Ceban - MagSorc
    Tick-Tock Tormentor

Chimaira.eu

Friskyttarna.eu
  • MadLarkin
    MadLarkin
    ✭✭✭✭

The fact that the game is fantastic is what is so disappointing to me about this. I'm starting to slow down a bit with STO because the grind for late game ships is wearing me down and I need a break. I have an extensive library of games, but I was looking for something to really suck me in and become my main gaming investment for the foreseeable future. I thought I had found that. And it is a MMO my wife enjoys playing with me, no less (not usually her thing, she rocks out some Warframe and BF4 usually). So for this to get dropped on us a few months after getting into it is even worse because we were ramping up our excitement levels and understanding of the content ESO had to offer. I'm not thrilled about some of the elements of One Tamriel either (I'm old school and like to see power growth with character level) but it didn't threaten to damage my enjoyment the way these boxes do.

My wife is in school full time and still working close to full time so we don't get a lot of time to play lately. I may start a solo character, but my excitement is certainly dampened by the inclusion of the crates. I won't buy any DLC or crown store items, at least for the foreseeable future, and I find myself passing over the Play button for ESO without actually clicking on it more frequently since this dropped.

Edited by MadLarkin on October 3, 2016 8:40PM
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not thrilled about some of the elements of One Tamriel either (I'm old school and like to see power growth with character level) but it didn't threaten to damage my enjoyment the way these boxes do.
    I hear you on the boxes. I wouldn't worry too much about not feeling power growth with character level, though. When your toon is below level 50, most of the additional feeling of power comes from leveling and unlocking your skill lines and equipping more powerful gear - a process that isn't changing with One Tamriel.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sebban wrote: »
    Just scrap the whole idea of crown crates. It's the worst idea in ESO so far. Make everything purchasable for crown directly. Nothing else is acceptable in my opinion.

Ya know, they could back off this whole thing around xmass and get a lot of fantastic press about how they listened to the community, get a whole slew of people buying stuff to support the store and utilize the "gift" option that some of us have had a chance to do and really role in the dough.

Throw crates on the back burner for a year or two, no big deal.

*Takes tin foil hat off and goes to bed*
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • EL1TE
    EL1TE
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the Crown Gems that people get from duplicated items with Atronach Crates will be saved for the next Crates?

For example, i get 400 gems from Atronach Crates, but i don't like the Atronach mounts, so i save them, once the next themed Crown Crates release can i spend the gems on them or are the gems different for each crate? o_O