The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @EL1TE: I don't believe they've stated anything on that one way or another. But I wouldn't lay money on it; even if the Gems carry over, that's a LOT in the way of actual money you'd need to spend up front to get those 400 gems. Remember, you're only getting those Gems for duplicates (and presumably consumables in future, but we don't know what the consumable trade-in rate is yet so I'll refrain from including that) and as-is the only thing you could get a not-terrible Crown-to-Gem ratio on in the first place is the Atronach Mounts...which are exclusive and impossible to get a duplicate of on your first try, in addition to having a terrible drop rate. More likely you're going to be getting tiny drops of 5 Gems per Crate, and that's IF you already own everything else in the Crates already, and IF you don't have the bad fortune to be stuck with any higher-tier XP scrolls.

#proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EL1TE wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Crown Gems that people get from duplicated items with Atronach Crates will be saved for the next Crates?
    I can't imagine they wouldn't be. Gems show up as an account-wide currency in the Crown Store, just above the current balance in crowns, even with no crate open.

2xJKQnxlKtgy.jpg
    Edited by silvereyes on October 4, 2016 12:41PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    sebban wrote: »
    Just scrap the whole idea of crown crates. It's the worst idea in ESO so far. Make everything purchasable for crown directly. Nothing else is acceptable in my opinion.

Ya know, they could back off this whole thing around xmass and get a lot of fantastic press about how they listened to the community, get a whole slew of people buying stuff to support the store and utilize the "gift" option that some of us have had a chance to do and really role in the dough.

I wish they would consider this. I actually do think that gifting at the Crown level is something that they need to take a close look at, first. This can breathe life into the Crown Store, even if it does not need more life. I can see why they would be skittish about it, especially if they ever embrace better stuff in the Crown Store than we can get in the game.

Crown Crates are someone's baby, and that baby will live and grow, or else. I have seen this sort of thing, and Crown Crates reek of it. When this person leaves the company, and this person will leave the company, these sorts of ideas will probably stop.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • EL1TE
    EL1TE
    ✭✭
    @EL1TE: I don't believe they've stated anything on that one way or another. But I wouldn't lay money on it; even if the Gems carry over, that's a LOT in the way of actual money you'd need to spend up front to get those 400 gems. Remember, you're only getting those Gems for duplicates (and presumably consumables in future, but we don't know what the consumable trade-in rate is yet so I'll refrain from including that) and as-is the only thing you could get a not-terrible Crown-to-Gem ratio on in the first place is the Atronach Mounts...which are exclusive and impossible to get a duplicate of on your first try, in addition to having a terrible drop rate. More likely you're going to be getting tiny drops of 5 Gems per Crate, and that's IF you already own everything else in the Crates already, and IF you don't have the bad fortune to be stuck with any higher-tier XP scrolls.

I'm not gonna spend money on crates, unless it's the only way to get the Dro-m mount they removed from the Store :(
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far the gambling content is restricted to cosmetics, visuals, costumes, baubles, pets, and pretty things.

So long as it doesn't affect player performance (i.e. Lightning atronach mounts aren't faster than my free white horse) I just don't care.

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Make it 5 crowns and you have a deal, 400 crowns? Is this One Tamriel or One Vegas?

I wish, in Vegas they actually tell you the odds... AND there's free booze.
    If they added free booze to crown crates, maybe I'd be more OK with them. I'm not sure how they'd work out the logistics of delivering it though. I think it would take a while for a cocktail waitress to get from ZOS HQ to my place.

It would take a lot of trips and things would have to get pretty blurry before crown crates seemed like a good idea.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not gonna spend money on crates, unless it's the only way to get the Dro-m mount they removed from the Store :(

While I get what you said, they are counting on people who think this way to keep Crown Crates alive and well.

:smile:
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I get what you said, they are counting on people who think this way to keep Crown Crates alive and well.

I'm glad you joined PAWS @lordrichter for a while there I thought you were going the other way on this issue.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • j3crow
    j3crow
    ✭✭✭
    Well all of us we have said what we have said. No doubt it has been read. No doubt little has been acted upon. No doubt there are many at ZOS who share our sentiments but are unable to express them publically. Khajiit would like those ones to know that many of us understand this yes.

So there are only two things now in our power to do.

First - Join PAWS - you may do this yes by just adding the line in the signature of this one into the signature of your own. No membership fee, no formal register, just a polite collective voice for the dislike of the horrible boxes.

Second - Do not buy a crate. Not one. Not ever. No not even when you are really really drunk.

Also make sure your friends and guildmates who may not read these forums are aware of the relevant discussions and are advised to read them and make up their own minds before these things go live. A true friend does not let the other gamble away coins which could be spent on drinking for both yes!

Your coin is your voice. Always use it wisely.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad you joined PAWS @lordrichter for a while there I thought you were going the other way on this issue.

If you go back and look, I am a founding member of PAWS. :smile:
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be joining PAWS too, as soon as I find how to do it on the smartphone version of the forums...

Edit: done :)
    Edited by Khenarthi on October 5, 2016 1:34PM
    PC-EU
  • Varjovalkea
    Varjovalkea
    Soul Shriven
    This one has been traveling on the ESO wagon since beta. This one has spent hundreds of euros on the game and has always felt good about. It's a really good game and so far everything has been customer-friendly and fair, yes? This one likes to support a rare thing like that.

Dark moons! If ZOS starts acting like a skooma-peddler and brings this kind of real money gambling into the game.. that is a dark path this one can not justify following and will take its hard earned cash Elsweyr. This is a beginning of a story that has been told many times and it never has a happy ending.
    Crown Crates? Just Say No.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I should have clarified the second part of my statement, my bad, what I meant was I thought you were in favor of these crates at first. I may have misread some of your responses but it seemed like you were going for these in the first big thread about crown crates... Like I said, maybe I misread or mixed you up with someone else, totally possible.
    Edited by nimander99 on October 6, 2016 12:45AM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have clarified the second part of my statement, my bad, what I meant was I thought you were in favor of these crates at first. I may have misread some of your responses but it seemed like you were going for these in the first big thread about crown crates... Like I said, maybe I misread or mixed you up with someone else, totally possible.

I was initially ok with them, but wary.

(1) They want to do exclusives
    (2) They are very polished, and suddenly one of the Cash Shop Prophesies of Doom from back in 2015 came true.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 6, 2016 12:49AM
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not on PTS but I understand they have removed the crates? Because of the bad press? I don't think they could improve them to a level anyone would find justified.

I'd hate to see people falling for the We listen to you so the drop rates are better tactic. No, if ZOS listens they'll remove them entirely. That's the only acceptable outcome.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last word was they'd be reviewing the feedback and making changes in the crates. Gina replied a few pages back in this thread. I seriously doubt they will remove the crates, despite the negative feedback about them. The crates weren't due out with this update, but later this year/early next year.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Last word was they'd be reviewing the feedback and making changes in the crates. Gina replied a few pages back in this thread. I seriously doubt they will remove the crates, despite the negative feedback about them. The crates weren't due out with this update, but later this year/early next year.

Nothing that they say, or change, will significantly diminish whatever goals they have for the crates.

They will toy with minor changes, so long as these do not violate the above.

There is more than just "revenue" riding on them. And ZOS appealed to the light and there appeared Crown Crates, and all rejoiced in their splendor and lay down before them. Amen. :smile:
  • jerubal
    jerubal
    Soul Shriven
    I don't usually post on forums, but I feel like this is an exceptional case.

I was a Beta tester, I've been an ESO Plus member since I started playing live, and I've often bought extra crowns to make purchases of things I've liked.
    I even figured there was some logic behind the paid faction unlock that took flak right at the beginning.. but I won't gamble money away like this, and it's a shame to think you're considering fleecing those who would.

So I'd like to add my voice to those asking you, in the strongest possible terms, not to debase yourselves by exploiting your fanbase like this.
    I (and I'm sure I speak for a lot of players) love the game you're continuing to build; every expansion I've been increasingly excited by its future. It's improved so much because of a passionate staff who listened to their users.
    It fulfilled its promise: you could play the character you wanted, how you wanted. Moreso than ever now, with One Tamriel.

What's the idea with crates, other than a way of knowingly ripping people off?
    Gambling lockboxes are a sign that says "we care more about money than we do about people enjoying our game."
    "I don't care if you feel like you've wasted all your money and still never got the one thing you wanted to complete your character, because there'll be another mug like you along in a minute. Ha ha! Cha-CHANG!"
    So that's your choice: Forward-looking game designers working with fans to make a better game, or con-men pushing a 21st century 'pig in a poke' scam.
    Maybe you're asking so you don't have to make the choice; so you can point at thoughtless users and say 'see?! It wasn't us! You agreed!' But in the end you know what this is, and it's your choice which you want to be.

There's value in integrity, and once you cash it in you can't buy it back.
  • MadLarkin
    MadLarkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    jerubal wrote: »
    There's value in integrity, and once you cash it in you can't buy it back.
    Edited by MadLarkin on October 7, 2016 5:25PM
  • mingimingi
    mingimingi
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS may want to throw some race change tokens, portable bankers, portable merchants, name/race/appearance change tokens, motif packs, chance to win MORE crowns in there and I think the response might be better.

• Onlyshestandsthere
    Onlyshestandsthere
    Soul Shriven
    Just no honestly I am more then happy to drop 50+ dollars on a mount or what have you as long as I -know- I am going to get it. I am an huge mount/pet collector and these new crates have honestly crushed my will to even play one of my favorite games anymore, knowing I can no longer get the items I have been hoping and waiting for. If one thing SWTOR has taught me, I have the luck of a black cat on Halloween. Hell at least there I had the chance of buying it from another player even if I had to grind for it but I could still get it! Please just allow for players to buy the gems to get the exclusive crate items or let them be trade-able or something. Make them expensive heck, at least I know I could save up to get it not just wishful thinking.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying 25,000 worth of crates :) with the 10k I have already Ba BOOM - whale input 35k :)

Keep crowns EXCITING!
    Edited by Lukums1 on October 13, 2016 4:00AM
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just please don't do this ZOS. Really. Please.

• lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well all of us we have said what we have said. No doubt it has been read. No doubt little has been acted upon. No doubt there are many at ZOS who share our sentiments but are unable to express them publically. Khajiit would like those ones to know that many of us understand this yes.

So there are only two things now in our power to do.

First - Join PAWS - you may do this yes by just adding the line in the signature of this one into the signature of your own. No membership fee, no formal register, just a polite collective voice for the dislike of the horrible boxes.

Second - Do not buy a crate. Not one. Not ever. No not even when you are really really drunk.

Also make sure your friends and guildmates who may not read these forums are aware of the relevant discussions and are advised to read them and make up their own minds before these things go live. A true friend does not let the other gamble away coins which could be spent on drinking for both yes!

Your coin is your voice. Always use it wisely.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Just asked for a forum account, since I am a steam-user, just to write this.

Edit: And I am really happy about spending real life money for nice stuff, I'd love lots of the appearance stuff, and I even like the gamble/luck aspect, but NOT while there is no alternative to just buy the things seperately and with so out of balance when it comes to pricing. Come on, more than 100dollar to have a moderate chance to get a mount e.g. I heard your comment that you are going to change that before it goes life, but really when it comes to gambling with real life money, you really really should let all the people on PTS test it and, as in many countries is mandatory when it comes to gambling, make an official statement about the ratio/chances you can get what! This is only fair.
    And even if you would do all this, you wont get my money for any crate, because it really sucks you wanted to wrip your players off like this in the first place.

Edited by lientier on October 13, 2016 4:50PM
    PC-EU @lientier
  • arpadsweb16_ESO
    arpadsweb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I just want a chance at the Mind-shriven skin. ;{
  • Solus
    Solus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I have not tried them yet.

I think they're a terrible idea and I was extremely disappointed to hear they would be added to the game.

Items like these prey on gullible individuals, forcing them to spend far more than they would for a straight-forward sale because they hear rumors that a friend of a friend's sisters boyfriends cousin got an amazing item on the first try. Or more likely because there is simply no other way to obtain items they want. Typically the drop rates on anything which is worth having are extremely poor which results in some people spending hundreds of dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) and being left with nothing of use.

I'm going to test the drop rates as soon as my game has updated and will report back on them to make other players aware.

Once they're off the PTS and onto the live game I will not buy them. I accept this means I will miss out on many special items, likely all of the best mounts and skins, but I'd rather not waste my money or encourage this kind of item which takes advantage of players instead of offering a fair sale.

@ZOS_MichaelM @ZOS_JasonI @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_TristanK

As a fan of your MMO, I want to offer some constructive criticism:

Remove this idea immediately.
    The-Pumpkin-King // Stamblade

https://www.twitch.tv/beenerschnitzel

My PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GGWXsY
  • Yeichi
    Yeichi
    Soul Shriven
    Nooo please! I just started playing! Don't do this!
  • nvsg
    nvsg
    ✭✭✭
    when are the crown crates coming?
    Edited by nvsg on October 20, 2016 6:29PM
  • Solus
    Solus
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvsg wrote: »

Unfortunately next big update i think.
    The-Pumpkin-King // Stamblade

https://www.twitch.tv/beenerschnitzel

My PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GGWXsY
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solus wrote: »
    nvsg wrote: »

Unfortunately next big update i think.

November. Between Updates.