Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something tells me the next time we see these it will be for real money instead of the free testing we've had. They made a big mistake letting us find out how much of a scam crown crates are for free.

They'll tweak the drop rates and make a couple other token changes with much fanfare and claim to have listened to us and put them out for sale. The gem/duplicate rate will still be terrible and still be a dirty exploitative little lure to greater spending since you have to get a dozen or so items you neither want nor will ever use before you start really accumulating many gems. The gem/(junk)potions rate, if they actually go through with it, will be bad, like really bad. I'll bet the contents of a crown crate (so nothing of value) that it will be in the neighborhood of 20/1 for potions, food, and drink; and 50/1 for poisons. The actual drop rates for everything will be unpublished.

Few people will have any idea how bad the return is because few will publicly admit to spending hundreds of dollars to be buggered that hard in the wallet.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    silvereyes wrote: »
    Between how cheap the game has gotten and the addition of microtransactions with the scamboxes, I wouldn't be surprised if they go fully F2P with update 13. :(

Prepare to get popup ads every time you log in.

lol what
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjthibs wrote: »
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Wait what?! When was this? O______o

@likelolwhat That was when they released the limited-time leopard senche (the first time). 'We don't want anyone to miss the limited time offer!' was the reason given. -_- And as @Rosveen mentioned, yes they used the system shutdown messaging system to spam us.

They also felt that using the server messaging was the appropriate way to inform us it was national pet day.

Yeah. I don't think we should get too bent out of shape over a line or two of text from a year ago that they did stop doing as far as I know.

The points you raised about exclusivity and not being able to test out the new drop rates are far more important.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way although looking back it does seem sharp tongued. Just was adding to what that whole thing was about. You're right though, it is the past.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@likelolwhat That was when they released the limited-time leopard senche (the first time). 'We don't want anyone to miss the limited time offer!' was the reason given. -_- And as @Rosveen mentioned, yes they used the system shutdown messaging system to spam us.

They also felt that using the server messaging was the appropriate way to inform us it was national pet day.

Yeah. I don't think we should get too bent out of shape over a line or two of text from a year ago that they did stop doing as far as I know.

The points you raised about exclusivity and not being able to test out the new drop rates are far more important.

Sorry, didn't mean it that way although looking back it does seem sharp tongued. Just was adding to what that whole thing was about. You're right though, it is the past.

I thought I was actually agreeing with you. :smile:
    It is way too early for me to be coherent yet though.
  • MadLarkin
    MadLarkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for taking part in testing Crown Crates. Tomorrow after our scheduled maintenance (which includes the PTS), Crown Crates will no longer be available for testing. If you have any Crown Crates in your inventory after the maintenance tomorrow, you will still be able to open them, but no new Crown Crates can be purchased. Additionally, when you run out of Crown Crates, the UI to open them will also no longer be accessible.

Just a reminder that we do plan on making some changes based on all the feedback we received, which you can read here, before Crown Crates are released later this year.

Edit: Also, just want to confirm that the email some of you received is legit.

Allow me to reiterate what I said earlier. This entire situation was planned out ahead of time.

*ZOS announces "feature" that they know will crash and burn with many players, as the system is designed to drain the wallets of parents and people with more money than sense.
    *ZOS has the system all but complete with a high level of polish even before it is released on PTS, letting you know that this system is going into the game, no matter the reaction of the player base.
    *ZOS creates two forum threads on the matter. One for general discussion, and one for PTS testing. In both threads, the feedback is what I would call overwhelmingly negative. ZOS entirely ignores the ethical concerns voiced by the community.
    *ZOS offers to make minor changes "based on feedback" which, once they are implemented, will do very little (mark my words) to offset the scummy nature of this entire system.

Those changes aren't meant for us. They're what was approved by the higher ups and the marketing department ahead of time in order to attempt to placate us without compromising the money-making integrity of the crown box system. In other words, the time this system spent on the PTS and the two feedback threads were just for show. They knew how this would be implemented, and had a list of changes they were willing to make ahead of time in order to make it seem as though they were listening.

I find this to be offensive. Game developers used to do just fine financially without bringing in marketing experts that couldn't care less about gaming. Of course the landscape has changed. Of course MMO's have a large amount of overhead. But let me say again that there are numerous other forms of revenue streams to create before resorting to something as insulting and predatory as this. And what's worse than the crown crate system itself, is the lie that they are for our benefit and that you care about our feedback in regards to them.
  • j3crow
    j3crow
    ✭✭✭
    I also find this offensive. It makes me loose faith in the marketing team, and with ZoS overall. They are under the illusion that since, RNG boxes are done in other games, that its a viable option for this game. What they fail to understand is that those 'other games', are viewed as nothing but prostitutes. No long term relationship is expected with those titles.

ZoS originally appeared to me as attempting to court a long-term relationship with the customer. I now doubt that position.

In my eyes that moves TESO from being a long term investment, that demonstrates it knows how to cultivate brand loyalty with the western market, to being another craptastic, throw-away game like all of the other imports.

I hope that ZoS understands this kind of damage to brand reputation
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    • Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?

No, I do not like the crown consumables, specifically potions, food, and drink. I would have to delete those items.

Based on data from users testing on the PTS those items almost always are 3 of the 4 items received from the crate.

That tells me that if I spend 400 crowns on a crate, I would have to delete 3/4 of it most of the time. That is throwing away money in real life.

--- I work hard for my money and will not be throwing away money on this sleazy RNG system. ---

What will make me mad is if I cannot outright purchase items that I want to use in the game.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! My feedback after testing the crates for 3 days.

- Did you like/use the consumables you received from the Crown Crates?
    No. I`ve never bought and would never buy these types of consumables from the Crownstore. I like crafting my own potions/poisons and food, soulgems are easy to get. My mounts are just fine and getting there without lessons.

Even if/when these crate consumables are improved like @ZOS_GinaBruno said about upcoming changes,
    they would still not feel needed, rewarding or fun for me, but just standing there between me and the cosmetic items I really wanted to get, really would have wanted to buy straight from the Crown store.
    Ofcourse if consumables could have been redeemed for a decent amount of gems, then it might have felt less so- but then again getting many unwanted or even unusable cosmetics would have started to feel even more meh unless they too could be returned for gems >:) ...
    Still, adding gem refund for consumables is a step in a better direction, thankyou. I hope the rate will also be decent.

I´m really very much against whole crown boxes thing , but still;
    What kind of consumables would I then consider worth any real money, or more interesting to have in a box? (Again, all of these should be redeemable for gems.) :
    Appearance change tokens. The one in the crownstore for 1000 crowns is very expensive and if you still get it wrong, tough luck.
    "Small Appearance change token" would let you change just one thing, these could come alone or in small stack.
    "Costume stamp". = Save your current armor or townclothes combination to a costume template -, great! No idea if it would be hard to implement though?
    "Sewing kit" that would let you make a separate hat template from a two part costume, like the evening dresses veil.
    Maybe dyes, not dye stamps but new single dyes that would unlock for all chars after consumption, like in GW2.
    Im a subscriber, but if I was not, would appreciate a"Costume dye token" that would allow one time use of subscribers style costume dye system.
    Maybe for funzies toss in a rare vamp and werewolf curse chance too, as these can be got for 5k or so (or for free) in game from players and I think they are now way overpriced for a "convenience item" in the crownstore. Would add more sense of danger and mystery to Pacrootis boxes ;)

-General feedback:

I am very sad if all "normal/nonexlusive"items that are retired from the store are never again to be circulated back in the store
    but put only in the crates.
    I am extremely sad and worried if, as it now seems, besides strictly current crate theme related items, other new items are being made exlusive to these boxes. As it seemed like on the PTS, many, many new items that were not "Atronach themed" items were box exlusive.
    For instance all the wizard hats and aurbical symbols would have been perfect to sell straight from the Crown store during the Witches festival :(. Would have sold well too I bet.
    Please ZOS, let me just buy the items I want, knowing I will get what I want? !
    This has been said so many times in these crate threads, much more then the worries about a "slippery slope" to pay to win I think.

A compromise would be to make only the few "themed" items exlusive to crates, and then introduce the rest of the items to the Crown store later during a half year or so period. Please, please at least consider this, if you must have boxes and many new items as filler for them.
    Path of Exile has that system with their cosmetic"mystery boxes" with only a couple of season exlusive things, and they still seem to sell very well. Many people want a chance at new things right away, and a chance to get them for cheaper than they will later be sold for IF they get lucky.

As a loving owner of the old exlusive Clouded senche mount I am also extremely sad to see the mount now in the boxes.
    I would not mind if it was brought back for sale on the crownstore periodically, but I do mind, a lot, that riding one can soon be associated with these crates!
    Ride that in the evening dress I also own, nice, unwilling free agent for Pacrootis growing crate empire. Plus the shame of being tought to have possibly burned through hundreds of Euros for these items!

-My experience and loot from opening boxes:
    Way too many consumables. Way too few gems returned from duplicates, ofcourse full price would be fairest rate.
    Race exlusive items like hair/bodymarkings should not be in boxes at all or be redeemable for full price.
    If I played male chars I would not be too thrilled to run around in the evening dress either, though fun for some I know, I think it should be redeemable.
    My loots:
    1st day testing I started with a game of "lets imagine" that I`d buy crates with a "reasonable" sum of around 20 Euros, as a 1st time buyer.. That was 7 crates for 2800 crowns.
    Owned 2 items on live from the available selection, clouded senche and the evening dress, so only these were chances for duplicates.
    The experience for this "imaginary 1st time buyer" was a huge disappointment, especially to think what nice stuff I could have gotten for for the money straight from the crownstore.
    Results:
    Bag full of consumables that mean nothing for me. Cosmetics: 3 imperial battlemage outfits I would never wear, a khajiit bodymarking that ruins my khajiit by removing her beautifull spotted fur, a shornhelm shepherd that I did not like, azure tiara wich is "ok", might wear sometime, a soulshriven leathers that I do like and would wear sometimes, might have eventually bought the soulshriven pack for 700 crowns if it still was in the store.
    So, for 2800 crowns got one nice, but to me not super nice soul shriven costume , and one "ok" not too bad tiara, rest was useless for me.
    If there had allready been return for the consumables as gems, and the rate was good enough to grant me, say at least
    the bellydancer veil that I really wanted plus the Fibonaccus wizard hat , and if I could have exchanged the khajiit bodymarkings for their full worth and bought the aurbical symbols instead, I might have been a bit more satisfied "1st time user" though.

Then, moved on to buy moar crates with all my crowns, and next 2 days same thing.
    Around forty imaginary Euros spent I had my wizard Fibonaccus hat and aurbical symbols I`d wanted.
    Around 80 euros worth of crates in I had enough gems I could have gotten the bellydancer veil, but it then dropped, and also a hedge wizard cap wich I liked dropped. Many argonian hairdos seemed to be coming my way... Actually I do have an Argonian, "Swims-Near-Banks": a lvl 3 who spends all her time in a bank and does not want new hair.
    Also got a legendary tier frog along the road that did not seem very legendary to my taste, and the storm atro transform memento wich felt like a legendary joke for how short its effect lasts... No mounts.

I was down to my last 4 crates yesterday, the third day of opening, when the Apex reward of Atronach horse dropped for me.
    Personally I dont care for these atro mounts and would never buy one even if it was sold in the store.

Thanks for reading, sry my long rambling. If crates really have to be, I really hope changes can be made especially to what is currently exlusive to these crates. So far ESO has had the fairest atmosphere for customer Ive seen in an MMO, the reason why I´ve bought more things from the Crown store than from other MMOs I`ve played, and why I am happy to sub the game when I know I have regular time to play. I hope it could stay that way.

And I also hope that all the other very nice cosmetics things I saw on the PTS crownstore and not in the crates, like the open and closed turbans and new hairdos are meant for a straight purchase in the crown store soon, not some future crate patch.

• Palindiil
    Palindiil
    ✭✭✭
    Having played around with the crates now, I'm honestly just waiting to see what is in the Crown Store Preview for the next month. IF it's the red wolf/black mane lion and some of the pets and cosmetics, I'll feel a lot happier.

The system is clearly fairest if everything except the 'theme' items is available on store for a limited time. Then you have the choice to buy at 2,500 crowns or so OR take your chance for the much cheaper option of a crown crate (which should be about 100 crowns, in my opinion...)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is way too early for me to be coherent yet though.
    This should be my motto.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palindiil wrote: »
    Having played around with the crates now, I'm honestly just waiting to see what is in the Crown Store Preview for the next month. IF it's the red wolf/black mane lion and some of the pets and cosmetics, I'll feel a lot happier.

I am very nervous for the next Crown Store Showcase. I was gutted when I saw the black mane lion in the Apex rewards. I really hope that it is not exclusive.
    The system is clearly fairest if everything except the 'theme' items is available on store for a limited time. Then you have the choice to buy at 2,500 crowns or so OR take your chance for the much cheaper option of a crown crate (which should be about 100 crowns, in my opinion...)

I agree, good suggestion.
    PC/EU DC
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    The Storm Atronach Transform needs to be a polymorph rather than a time limited memento for the price it's listed at.
    That would certainly be better, but would it work? I haven't seen it yet, but presumably it would need to deactivate whenever you actually tried to do anything, like fight mobs or open chests, whereas the other polymorphs can stay active during other activities.
    Rescinding this previous comment. Having now seen the Storm Atronach Transform, it would work perfectly well as a polymorph, as it changes your character's appearance but not their humanoid form. Considering it's a Legendary tier reward, it should definitely be worth more than a 7-second memento effect, and a polymorph would be perfect.

There's already two themed mementos at the Superior and Epic tiers, so having the Legendary tier themed collectible be a polymorph would absolutely make it a more rewarding and worthwhile reward.

Edited by Enodoc on September 28, 2016 7:25PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the Storm Atronach Transform would do well as a polymorph, I'm really surprised it isn't one. I think I'd be more keen on obtaining one of the Atronach mounts if I had a look to go with it

That's actually one of the reason I'm more excited about the Dwemer mounts, as I can combine it with Dwemer armor and weapons
    Edited by MarkusLiberty on September 28, 2016 7:39PM
    *Special Snowflake*

• Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of my Bosmer would love Wild Hunt mounts and a polymorph would be a dream. Even if that were to happen it still isn't going to get me to drop Crowns on these crates.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't it for the dogs? I remember the big yellow system message about you "adopting" a dog (for I think 400 Crowns, that is). I was in Cyrodiil, running to one of the northern keeps (I don't remember which) and I stopped just to use /feedback to say that was wrong and I hated that. I saw by the zone chat that a bunch of people did the same. Then we went to the subreddit to complain.

I'm glad ZOS decided to not do that anymore.
    Palindiil wrote: »

I am very nervous for the next Crown Store Showcase. I was gutted when I saw the black mane lion in the Apex rewards. I really hope that it is not exclusive.

It does have the "Available in the Atronach Crown Crates" tooltip only, though :/

But if it makes any difference to you, it is in the Legendary tier (100 Crown Gems), not on the Apex tier (400 Crown Gems).

Edited by Abeille on September 28, 2016 9:10PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll make my final point on this Crown Box issue and forever hold my peace.

Darn me but don't every thread opened on these here boxes have legs, I reckon why that is?
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • HaymakerXtc
    HaymakerXtc
    ✭✭
    As a Player since release of PC , and currently reside full time on PS4.. I will not buy Any crates at this rate, with the reward rates and these costs. Price needs to be dropped by 50%. No one in the right damn mind would ever need a potion or poison from a crate, my crafter can make better in every department for free.

One thing that disgruntles me, is the the removal of some of the (ONLY) good costumes in the game. So when i was off for a couple weeks here and there, and not chance to get them, not going to gamble away $100-$400 trying to get an already removed item that was once $7 and now gamble hundreds of dollars trying to get same items people have paid pennies for. Ive been a Sub based user since day 1, but sometimes I want to cancel my sub and just play F2P due to the greed of ZOS. The only reason I still have Sub is because of the CRAFT bag, in which i am a Master crafter at every craft so i could easily Solo fill 5 Guild banks solo in crafting materials lol.

Long story short. Bring back Old costumes. We want to buy them. We dont want Online gambling.
  • EL1TE
    EL1TE
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the Crates will release with One Tamriel?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EL1TE wrote: »
    No, they're supposed to be coming some time later this year. We don't know the date, but it's supposed to be after One Tamriel.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The black mane lion was in Legendary rewards, not Apex. As for whether it will be exclusive to the crates or not, that's the 9000 crown question. The tooltip mentions the crown crates, though, so I'm not holding my breath for them to be offered for direct purchase.
  • EL1TE
    EL1TE
    ✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    EL1TE wrote: »
    No, they're supposed to be coming some time later this year. We don't know the date, but it's supposed to be after One Tamriel.

Thanks, it would be nice if they added previously removed items to the crates or gems, i've played in 2014 and quit at lvl27, now i'm CP300 since 3 weeks and there's items i'd like to buy such as the Dro-m'Athra mount and it's not available, it's sad they remove so many items from the Store.

Personally i don't like where the Crown Crates are going, i don't really like any of the items on it, but i'd consider buying some if they added previously removed items either to it or the Store.

As for consumables i don't like the idea of buying crates to get items i don't need, allowing us to convert them to Gems would be nice but i doubt they make it a decent rate, no way i'm going to buy 20k+ Crowns for a mount.

It would have been better to just add the items normally to the Store instead of putting it behind a RNG Payment, i'd buy the Atronach Wolf since it's the only one i like, but coming from the crates i'll skip.
  • mingimingi
    mingimingi
    ✭✭✭
    I found the crown crate experience fun in general, the animation nice, but the lack of anything I considered a good drop (aka mount) was disappointing. I think I opened 10k worth of boxes and just got a bunch of potions and items that I did not value.

Here is a slightly insane suggestion, but I think it would have a huge draw. Make a mount drop guaranteed in EVERY box. It could be any past mount in the whole game. It may sound ridiculous, but I think this would be extremely rewarding. You are assured that you WILL get a mount that you don't have. At least we would get some kind of mount. You know that's what people are really going for. Why make us sad! People would be riding around on so many cool mounts, I think it would really add to the game.

You say, well what if we run out of mounts? That's okay. New ones could be introduced, as they usually are, or you could even make Pet specific Crown Boxes where only pets are guaranteed with the new option to convert items into gems, etc. Even the feeling that we aren't being pressured to spend all the money boosts morale.

Other things that I would enjoy seeing in the Crown Store would be the option to buy a portable alchemy station.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Crown Crates, in their present form, are simply unethical. They prey on customers by giving them a minuscule opportunity to get anything that they actually want, while loading them up with garbage that they have no interest in. The intent is obviously to suck in whales who will keep buying crates (and keep buying crowns to pay for them) each season until they get everything that they wanted from that season’s crates. The major problem is that most people who gamble are people who can’t afford to keep spending money gambling.

(Bold added by me)
    In the AMA yesterday, I lost track of the number of times ZOS staff said "we want to do that, but ran out of time. wait for a future update". Yet the crown crates have the most polished interface I've ever seen in ESO.

ZOS management made the choice to pursue a greedy, dishonest marketing strategy at the expense of committing resources towards player pain points that are literally causing people to uninstall the game (guild trader flip time, magicka DK balance, Cyrodiil lag, etc.)

I want to be proud to buy from this company.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Valorin
    Valorin
    ✭✭✭
    For me, ESO is collecting coffin nails at the moment.
    So far I loved the game's worldspace, characters, stories and armour styles very much and it all fit and merged together into a great gaming experience. I was never a fan of all those flashy effects, but well, that was all right.
    Then Dro M'athra came, that glow Panther, soon Hollowjack... For me s*it really hit the fan when I saw the weapon ultimate effects.
    One reason I never played WoW was, that I dislike its visuals... Now similar super bright coloured crap stains once beautiful Tamriel? Ouch.

But sorry, offtopic. Crown Crates.
    Another coffin nail joins the pile... The fact that we get some gamble boxes is one thing. I _dislike_ them. Adding them means, the game has to turn to a gameshop-currency sink tactics which is, for me, a bad sign. But well, I don't have to buy them, right?

-BUT- spicing these boxes up with unique only-to-get-from-those-boxes stuff is a no-go for me and betrays everything I liked about how this game has been maintained in the past. Why not just put the loyalty rewards into those too? Or a 1 year ESO+ package in every 1000th box? There is room for making this worse, but unique items to gamble for already stampedes a borderline for me. It's a critical hit on the trust I put in Zeni to maintain and keep up an awesome gaming experience.

Please don't hand me more coffin nails.
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the love of all that is holy;

1. REMOVE CONSUMABLE TRASH. I am not going to use ur crappy crown store pot no matter how many u give me. Same goes for any other consumable short of the exp pot or scroll.

Remove that from the loot table and re-adjust all drops. Like seriously.... 0.2% drop rate for storm atro? Like even at 1% its ridiculous......
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to believe that someone at ZOS actually believed these Crown lottery boxes were a terrible idea, and voiced those opinions during their brainstorming sessions.
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    You have to believe that someone at ZOS actually believed these Crown lottery boxes were a terrible idea, and voiced those opinions during their brainstorming sessions.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the dev team thought this was a bad idea.
    It only takes one person with the CEO's ear, sadly.
    Edited by cjthibs on September 29, 2016 2:49PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 99% of the dev team thought this was a bad idea.
    It only takes one person with the CEO's ear, sadly.

I would also not discount the idea that this is all Firor and Bethesda Softworks, and driven by Bethesda. The marketing lady works for Bethesda. Bethesda is the publisher and runs the ESO Store. It would not be a stretch to think that they run the Crown Store, too. Firor's role is to supply the bodies, or maybe Bethesda pulled bodies out of the Bethesda studio, and he provides the "store front" (aka ESO).
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I did some worst-case scenario calculations and found for acquiring a legendary reward using the PTS mechanics, it would be 29,600 crowns, or 74 crates.

54 of those 74 crates in the worst-case scenario give 0 Crown Gems, because they represent non-refundable unwanted drops.

If Zenimax were to allow refunds for unwanted collectibles at their current 1/3 rate, the worst case scenario dramatically drops to only 8,000 crowns, or 20 crates.

To me, that alone would make the crates acceptable, whether they publish the rates or not; and I might even buy them if I wanted an item badly enough. The RNG would be limited by a reasonable upper bound.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The RNG would be limited by a reasonable upper bound.
    Of course, that's for legendary rewards. Apex rewards would still have a high upper bound of 80 crates, or 32,000 crowns; which is still way better than 134 crates.

I don't really have a problem with this, though. Maybe it's because I don't particularly like the apex mounts myself. Some folks will still get them, rarely, as a normal drop, and a few rich folks will sink the $232 into it as a fundraiser for ZOS.
    Edited by silvereyes on September 30, 2016 4:59AM