The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Official Discussion Thread for Crown Crates

• Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    Housing. I bet that will be great on the pts too. Then it will be sliced up and put into rng box system as well.

This system is insulting. I am waiting for some reasonable improvements. All we are getting is silence.

Well, I said a few weeks ago that they are dropping Crown Crates out of cycle (between updates) because they need it in place before Housing comes out. They don't want to drop Housing and the Housing Delivery System on us at the same time. Sticker shock, and all.

Seriously, I think they are planning that "Housing" will be the thing that gets people to buy Crown Crates.

That is most likely the case, at least if SWTOR is any indication. It's a shame, housing could have been a great addition to the game instead of just another cash grab.
    I will stay subbed for now, but it's getting more diffcult to justify ESO+.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Housing. I bet that will be great on the pts too. Then it will be sliced up and put into rng box system as well.

This system is insulting. I am waiting for some reasonable improvements. All we are getting is silence.

Well, I said a few weeks ago that they are dropping Crown Crates out of cycle (between updates) because they need it in place before Housing comes out. They don't want to drop Housing and the Housing Delivery System on us at the same time. Sticker shock, and all.

Seriously, I think they are planning that "Housing" will be the thing that gets people to buy Crown Crates.

That is most likely the case, at least if SWTOR is any indication. It's a shame, housing could have been a great addition to the game instead of just another cash grab.

Yeah. But players do not generally look at a game and say "cool housing" and buy the game. Housing is premium, no matter how you slice it. Crown Crates are the premium delivery system of the premium content. Only the most fanatic fans will be having stuff from the Crown Crates.
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • wayfarerx
      wayfarerx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I've said my piece a couple times in this thread. It's been a week now that we've had to evaluate these crates, so I'll reiterate:

oOXDJDU.jpg
      @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
    • Khenarthi
      Khenarthi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Has it been confirmed that housing will be linked to the gambling crates? I'm still hoping it will be made available as an ingame gold sink.
      PC-EU
    • cjthibs
      cjthibs
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Khenarthi wrote: »
      Has it been confirmed that housing will be linked to the gambling crates? I'm still hoping it will be made available as an ingame gold sink.

We do know that there will furniture for sale in the crown store, whether that is through the crates or not, we don't know yet.

The assumption is that housing add-ons, furniture, etc. will be in crates, since this looks to be where most new items are going based on what is on PTS right now.
    • SilentRaven1972
      SilentRaven1972
      ✭✭✭✭
      Day 8 of opening those evil contraptions on PTS. Accout one got nothing but duplicate junk (on top of the useless potions and such), No top tier rewards so far, and is at 500 crown gems. Account 2 got a bunch of the same, but in the 10th box a Storm Atro Camel mount (something I have no interest in), and at 426 crown gems. So it only took 8 days, 41,600 crowns, or $319.92 to get a top tier reward. I still can't believe they are going to put these out there. It's a sad time. I don't even want to log in on live now, it's so depressing.
      "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
    • cjthibs
      cjthibs
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Day 8 of opening those evil contraptions on PTS. Accout one got nothing but duplicate junk (on top of the useless potions and such), No top tier rewards so far, and is at 500 crown gems. Account 2 got a bunch of the same, but in the 10th box a Storm Atro Camel mount (something I have no interest in), and at 426 crown gems. So it only took 8 days, 41,600 crowns, or $319.92 to get a top tier reward. I still can't believe they are going to put these out there. It's a sad time. I don't even want to log in on live now, it's so depressing.

"Micro-transaction Strategy...Micro-transaction Strategy..." Say it with me. Trust the marketing people, they know what's best.
    • SilentRaven1972
      SilentRaven1972
      ✭✭✭✭
      cjthibs wrote: »

"Micro-transaction Strategy...Micro-transaction Strategy..." Say it with me. Trust the marketing people, they know what's best.

Marketing can kiss my fuzzy tail (and my money) goodbye :)
      "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed? No.

We don't know what the extent of Housing will be, which include whether they will allow gold to buy houses.

I expect that it will involve the Crown Store, and that will include Crown Crates and Limited Time Offers for the best stuff.

Any gold involvement will be done as a gold sink. I would not be surprised if we did not have to "rent" housing using a bidding system similar to how Guild Traders work.

My expectation is that things will be done in this order:

1. Premium content delivered in Crown Crates
      2. Special content delivered as Limited Time Offers
      3. Normal content available from the Crown Store
      4. Anything offered that does not require Crowns will be the "economy" content.
    • Delpi
      Delpi
      ✭✭✭✭✭

My expectation is that things will be done in this order:

1. Premium content delivered in Crown Crates
      2. Special content delivered as Limited Time Offers
      3. Normal content available from the Crown Store
      4. Anything offered that does not require Crowns will be the "economy" content.

So... my personal butler will be delivered in a crown crate? Poor guy.... :p

"I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
    • silvereyes
      silvereyes
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I would not be surprised if we did not have to "rent" housing using a bidding system similar to how Guild Traders work.
      I think I just vomited in my mouth a bit.
    • redspecter23
      redspecter23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      runagate wrote: »
      Hi ,
      We appreciate the time and effort you've put into The Elder Scrolls Online, and as such we'd like to give you a special deal on items in the Crown Store.

For a short period, we can enable gift purchases for your friends or guildmates, allowing you to equip or outfit your fellow adventurers with any of the items currently available in the Crown Store. Would you like to outfit your entire guild with the same costume or colors? Or perhaps you’d like to make sure your teammates have the potions required to tackle a tough dungeon or Trial? Just ask!

To take advantage of this, simply respond to this email and let us know what items you are interested in. We’ll respond with some tailor-made deals just for you.

Even if you don't want to take advantage of this offer, we're always here to help. So please feel free to respond to this email with any questions or concerns you may have. We'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Regards,
      The Elder Scrolls Online Support Team

784cfec0e2c3edf842fe4aefa3724a.jpg

I received that same mail. I assumed it was some sort of phishing scam and reported it. The whole thing just looks fishy. It came from a sketchy address. It's an offer to "gift" crown items which I don't think ZoS has ever supported. The layout isn't standard for a ZoS email either. Also there was no official mention of this "promotion" anywhere else. For the person that mentioned they got a response mail. Are you sure it's ZoS responding? To anyone else, be very careful about what information you give to the person on the other side of this mail. If possible could a ZoS rep reply concerning the legitimacy of this email floating around?
    • cjthibs
      cjthibs
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Can we rename these crates to 'One-Armed Pacrooti' boxes?
    • JR_Returns
      JR_Returns
      ✭✭✭
      As of today 104 crates opened and still no Apex reward.

On the bright side after opening the 98th crate I had enough "Sparkly Gems" to buy an Apex reward. Although I be more inclined to insert them up Pacrooti's a***

To put things I in perspective.
      Total number of crowns need to get to Apex reward level 39,200.
      Cost to buying that number of crowns (packs of 5500) £170.98; $222.57
      Cost of buying game £9.99; $13

What can I say, totally Gob smacked at the price
    • Rosveen
      Rosveen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Hi ,
      We appreciate the time and effort you've put into The Elder Scrolls Online, and as such we'd like to give you a special deal on items in the Crown Store.

For a short period, we can enable gift purchases for your friends or guildmates, allowing you to equip or outfit your fellow adventurers with any of the items currently available in the Crown Store. Would you like to outfit your entire guild with the same costume or colors? Or perhaps you’d like to make sure your teammates have the potions required to tackle a tough dungeon or Trial? Just ask!

To take advantage of this, simply respond to this email and let us know what items you are interested in. We’ll respond with some tailor-made deals just for you.

Even if you don't want to take advantage of this offer, we're always here to help. So please feel free to respond to this email with any questions or concerns you may have. We'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Regards,

I received that same mail. I assumed it was some sort of phishing scam and reported it. The whole thing just looks fishy. It came from a sketchy address. It's an offer to "gift" crown items which I don't think ZoS has ever supported. The layout isn't standard for a ZoS email either. Also there was no official mention of this "promotion" anywhere else. For the person that mentioned they got a response mail. Are you sure it's ZoS responding? To anyone else, be very careful about what information you give to the person on the other side of this mail. If possible could a ZoS rep reply concerning the legitimacy of this email floating around?
      It's legit, someone (Gina?) confirmed some weeks ago that they did send out these emails. I'll see if I can find the post.
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      silvereyes wrote: »
      I would not be surprised if we did not have to "rent" housing using a bidding system similar to how Guild Traders work.
      I think I just vomited in my mouth a bit.

Much the same as Crown Crates, I am not expecting that Housing will hold any interest for me, as a player. I am not even looking forward to the update.
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I posted this in the drop rate research thread, but I thought I'd put it here as well:

So far I've used 104 crates, which would cost me £181.53 and these are the items I've got which I might actually buy:
      Fibonaccus Spiral Hat (maybe, might fit a sorcerer I'm planning)
      Evening Dress (already own it)
      Palomino Horse (already own it)
      Purple Daggerback
      Chub Loon
      Golden Eye Guar (I didn't buy it when it was available, but keep thinking about getting a guar)
      Clouded Senche-Leopard (already own it)

I have gotten other cosmetics obviously, including the storm atronach bear and the mind-shriven horse, but as I haven't bought any bears (I don't like the running animation) and didn't get the mind-shriven horse when it was sold directly I think it's unlikely I'd have bought them.

Others I might buy:
      Storm Atronach wolf or senche (maybe? I don't tend to buy overly flashy mounts but these aren't too bad)
      Red Pit Wolf Pup
      Red Pit Wolf Mount (maybe, it'd be between this and the grey one)
      Clouded Senche-Leopard Cub

Excluding the ones I already own and using estimated prices (500-700 for the hat and pets, 1,300 for the guar, 3,000 for the atronach mount, 1,200 for the wolf) I estimate that lot would cost me 8,800 crowns, or £38.40.

So in other words if I get exactly the same drops on Live as on the PTS it would cost me almost 5 times what I would pay for direct sales.

I can only hope word gets out about these things and we don't see subscribers getting them just because they have nothing else to buy with their "free" crowns (remember: ZOS won't care where the crowns come from, so if you get them to use up crowns all they'll see is the crates are selling). Although I suspect in that case their response will be to "improve" the crates to make more people buy them rather than accepting that players do not want this system.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • UrQuan
      UrQuan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The Storm Atronach Transform needs to be a polymorph rather than a time limited memento for the price it's listed at.

100 Gems!
      Frost Mare (Mount) =/= Storm Atronach Transform (Memento ~7 seconds)

Frost Mare (Mount) == Storm Atronach Transform (Polymorph)

4 days and only enough gems from 4x 13 crates to try this 'Memento' as a 'Whale/Collector' this is really disappointing and would require at least the changes mentioned by Gina on page 17, let alone scrapping the consumable parts.

The whole reason why people won't buy the normal consumable bundles is because they are beyond a joke already, now to have these item crates with the same junk as filler just makes them worse.

Couldn't even open crates on one character as needed 2 more inventory slots to do so, junk consumables again!!!
      Wait, it's not a polymorph? WTF? From the name I assumed it was a polymorph... In the "gem store" section does it specifically say that it's a memento? If not, I'd consider that to be highly misleading.
      Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
      Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
      Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
      Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
      J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
      Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
      Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
      Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
      Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
      Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
      Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
      Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
      Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
      Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
      Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
      Someone stole my sweetroll
    • UrQuan
      UrQuan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hi ,

Regards,

It's definitely ZOS. This is basically a pilot program that they're testing with a relatively small number of players. I've only given them my feedback on crown store stuff in my reply so I haven't actually taken advantage of the offer (yet anyway, I still might), but I know a couple of people who have gifted crown store stuff to others through this.
      J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
      Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
      Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »

Yeah. But players do not generally look at a game and say "cool housing" and buy the game. Housing is premium, no matter how you slice it. Crown Crates are the premium delivery system of the premium content. Only the most fanatic fans will be having stuff from the Crown Crates.

Well, it depends... there are games that I play and bought primarily due to their housing system, such as EQ2 and SWG (when it was still alive). Both had housing implemented right, with lots of craftable furniture and even vendors inside player homes.

Admittedly, I'm not the norm for MMO players these days, I care about RP features and exploration instead of endgame content or PvP.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • JimT722
        JimT722
        ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what's in the game. All subscription games that had housing it was gold. Buy to play it would involve the store. I have never played a mmo with gambling crates that didn't use them heavily. They all put most housing options in the rng crates. This system is designed to rip us off and it will go way out of control.

The only real hope for this game to remain fun for people even slightly into rp elements is if the crates never come.
        Edited by JimT722 on September 27, 2016 6:44PM
      • Abeille
        Abeille
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Rosveen wrote: »
        Hi ,

Regards,

It's legit, someone (Gina?) confirmed some weeks ago that they did send out these emails. I'll see if I can find the post.

Yes, I think it was Gina. She said it was something about an upcoming gifting system they were setting, or something along these lines.
        Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
        Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
        Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
        Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
        Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
        Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
        Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
        Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
        Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
        Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
        Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
      • JR_Returns
        JR_Returns
        ✭✭✭
        This system is designed to rip us off and it will go way out of control.

You may be correct about ripping us off but it could also be the standard White Elephant effect.
        1. Come up with what looks on paper to be a great idea.
        2. Roll it out and find it just doesn't work.
        3. Tweak it and throw more money at it.
        4. Rinse and repeat a few times.
        5. You've now spent too much money and you can't to let it fail because you'll look a total tw*t.
        6. Spend yet more money and get it sort of working.
        7. Call it a sensational success whilst pushing it into a corner to be quietly forgotten.

At my age I've seen this sort of thing happen lots of times. Normally because people haven't got the guts to admit they've made a total f*** up and say stop.
        Edited by JR_Returns on September 27, 2016 8:23PM
      • Mysticman
        Mysticman
        ✭✭✭
        ---
        DPShiro wrote: »
        I can't test PTS sadly, but can you still get Horse Training even if you have all 12 characters fully maxed out on each parameter?

Can @ZOS_GinaBruno clarify? Because those are bound and you can't do anything with them at all if so?
        At least let them turn into gems like other dupes do if so.

you have Horse Training 0n 12 characters fully maxed out on the PTS :o
      • UrQuan
        UrQuan
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Mysticman wrote: »
        ---
        DPShiro wrote: »
        I can't test PTS sadly, but can you still get Horse Training even if you have all 12 characters fully maxed out on each parameter?

Can @ZOS_GinaBruno clarify? Because those are bound and you can't do anything with them at all if so?
        At least let them turn into gems like other dupes do if so.

you have Horse Training 0n 12 characters fully maxed out on the PTS :o
        It's easy to do on the PTS where you can buy riding lesson packs for 1 crown each... Or at least you could the last time I looked at buying them on PTS.
        J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
        Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
        Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
      • ZOS_GinaBruno
        ZOS_GinaBruno
        Community Manager
        Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for taking part in testing Crown Crates. Tomorrow after our scheduled maintenance (which includes the PTS), Crown Crates will no longer be available for testing. If you have any Crown Crates in your inventory after the maintenance tomorrow, you will still be able to open them, but no new Crown Crates can be purchased. Additionally, when you run out of Crown Crates, the UI to open them will also no longer be accessible.

Just a reminder that we do plan on making some changes based on all the feedback we received, which you can read here, before Crown Crates are released later this year.

Edit: Also, just want to confirm that the email some of you received is legit.
        Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on September 27, 2016 10:09PM
        Gina Bruno
        Senior Community Manager
        Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
        Staff Post
      • Enodoc
        Enodoc
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Boo, I was hoping to open 91 boxes on Sunday. I guess I'll just have to stick with 39 tomorrow instead.
        UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
        Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
      • Mysticman
        Mysticman
        ✭✭✭
        After the opening 40 crates I finally got a Storm Atronach Mount but it was a Camel and I only you like riding horses. so I was thinking it would be great feature if I was able to exchange one Apex rewards item for another that way I could get the Storm Atronach horse I want. Another idea is to add special rare cards to the deck that would give you the option to choose any item you wanted in that reward level so a special Apex reward level card would allow you to choose any Storm Atronach Mount you wanted.This would add a level of choice to this game of chance.
        Edited by Mysticman on September 27, 2016 10:28PM
      • Moloch1514
        Moloch1514
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        And so it begins. Not even a mention of the many concerns raised in this thread or the mega thread on General Discussion forum.
        PC-NA
      • Elsonso
        Elsonso
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        JR_Returns wrote: »
        This system is designed to rip us off and it will go way out of control.

You may be correct about ripping us off but it could also be the standard White Elephant effect.
        1. Come up with what looks on paper to be a great idea.
        2. Roll it out and find it just doesn't work.
        3. Tweak it and throw more money at it.
        4. Rinse and repeat a few times.
        5. You've now spent too much money and you can't to let it fail because you'll look a total tw*t.
        6. Spend yet more money and get it sort of working.
        7. Call it a sensational success whilst pushing it into a corner to be quietly forgotten.

At my age I've seen this sort of thing happen lots of times. Normally because people haven't got the guts to admit they've made a total f*** up and say stop.

I fear you may have just described the last 30 months of ESO... :smile:
        And so it begins. Not even a mention of the many concerns raised in this thread or the mega thread on General Discussion forum.

You expected otherwise?