Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Matt Firor's Message from BE3"

• General_Stormcrown
    General_Stormcrown
    Soul Shriven
    3175d2a9d4c5ec7f7c374e24ce124d.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Matt Firor's Message from BE3. Read it for details about what Matt discussed at the Bethesda E3 Showcase, including OneTamriel!

This is a major MAJOR improvement, in my eyes. Thank You so much for doing this, this is game changing!
    Progress and improvement has always been one of the core values of ESO, and this is just another example
    of how much You care for the community!

Thank You again and good luck!

A fan
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if have said this yet but one thing has got me thinking...

"higher level players will be the same “level" as lower level players" <~~~ So that means no matter what zone i go to my Max lvl Characters will be there for decreased in level to match them

or dose Battle leveling make them " Maxed " as well the contradiction with the line.
    " Characters will have their level scaled the same way that we currently scale players to the level of DLC zones "

Dam, what a Paradox :|

It means that no matter what zone you're in everyone will be, in essence Lvl. 50.
    Higher level players will still have advantages because they'll have more skills and utility unlocked (from levelling) and they'll have Champion Points, which lower level players will not.

So everyone will be effectively level 50.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Kalinblack
    So... if I'm understanding this properly... there's no longer a reason to buy the "Any Race, Any Alliance" pack?

Wrong. In PvP it is still good ^^
    Beware the Shadows
  • Kalinblack
    Preyfar wrote: »
    I'm hoping they just add in additional faction-specific quests in other areas to still make a player's chosen faction have SOME sort of meaning other than PVP.

This is TES. Race don't matter for the story, so faction didn't too.
    Beware the Shadows
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalinblack wrote: »
    So... if I'm understanding this properly... there's no longer a reason to buy the "Any Race, Any Alliance" pack?

Wrong. In PvP it is still good ^^

How is it "good."
    I mean, it's relevant... but how is it qualitatively any better for PvP?
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"higher level players will be the same “level" as lower level players" <~~~ So that means no matter what zone i go to my Max lvl Characters will be there for decreased in level to match them

or dose Battle leveling make them " Maxed " as well the contradiction with the line.
    " Characters will have their level scaled the same way that we currently scale players to the level of DLC zones "

Yeah, we were discussing this over at UESP. Does it mean that this will introduce battle-levelling that goes up and down, or does it mean that everything will be max level and everyone will scale up? I'm thinking the latter (while preferring the former), but it's definitely something that's not as clear-cut as it first seemed.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Llevndryn
    Llevndryn
    ✭✭✭
    @Enodoc
    Laegwing in the post listed some of them : Khenarthi's temple of the Mourning Springs, the last room ; Auriel's Temple at Vulkhel ; Mathiisen's forges ; Haven's Fighters Guild and Sewer ; Arenthia's districts...
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES!
    I told y'all so. ;)
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • rshel555_ESO
    rshel555_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It looks to me like Zenimax just proposed to break the game's economy! With all players competing for the more valuable craft components, high-level areas will be overrun with players. Nodes can't begin to spawn fast enough for the harvesting pressure. Farming as we know it will become useless, so accumulations of quantities will be much harder to obtain. Players trying to craft 160 armor and weapons will have much greater difficulty personally gathering the large numbers of rare components required... so the game economy through the guild auctions will experience an earthquake.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... Tangentially related.

Can we expect any new content or DLC in the Fall? Or just this?

I'm just asking because, as a long time paying subscriber, I already have this.
    I mean, I get that not everyone does, especially new players, but anyone who has been playing the game long enough to unlock Cadwells Silver and Gold has already seen this. This isn't new.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Llevndryn wrote: »
    @Enodoc
    Laegwing in the post listed some of them : Khenarthi's temple of the Mourning Springs, the last room ; Auriel's Temple at Vulkhel ; Mathiisen's forges ; Haven's Fighters Guild and Sewer ; Arenthia's districts...
    Hmm....
    • The last room in the Temple of the Mourning Springs contains a quest NPC and a bad guy who have to be "sealed away for all eternity" to protect the island. Getting back in there again would break continuity.
    • I think that's a bug. I'm sure there was an always-accessible version of the Temple of Auri-El at one point.
    • Mathiisen Forge: Yeah, once the Veiled Heritance are kicked out there should be a safe version of that available.
    • Haven's Fighters Guild? Is that still not fixed? I maintain that this is a bug. Once the city is safe, the Fighters Guild should be "open for business" like any other Fighters Guild.
    • The Aquifer: Agreed. There are a lot of sewers and small caves that get locked off for no reason. There's nothing quest-relevant in most of them, they're just used to get from A to B. Keep the quest requirement for opening them, sure, but leave them open afterwards.
    • Arenthia's districts: Also agreed. They should become safe areas like the rest of Arenthia once the Colovians have been kicked out. Or, alternatively, keep the Colovians in the Tower District as a bit of a resistance force, but make them passive (yellow glow) rather than hostile.
    Fair enough then. With some good examples like (most of) those, I would certainly agree.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Tekyn
    Tekyn
    ✭✭✭
    Zones will still have instances when there's a lot of people. What faction those people are won't change that in any way. The crying about overcrowding is just people complaining to hear themselves complain.

As to screwing the economy, crafting bags are going to be affecting the economy for quite a while so it'll be hard to say for sure. While some easy farming spots will go out, there should be more people hoarding mats for a rainy day since they don't take up space. The worst case scenario is prices will go up, then people hoarding items in crafting bags will cash in on the demand, then the people that do the serious farming will find new supply and things will even back out. Yes, it will change. It's still too early to know how much.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Yeah, we were discussing this over at UESP. Does it mean that this will introduce battle-levelling that goes up and down, or does it mean that everything will be max level and everyone will scale up? I'm thinking the latter (while preferring the former), but it's definitely something that's not as clear-cut as it first seemed.

ZOS is already on record as saying that they don't like down scaling.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aeula wrote: »
    YES! YES! No more having to scrounge up people to do the few difficult veteran world bosses! This'll be a big boon to roleplayers too I imagine, I'm looking forward to this!

World bosses were really easy to solo before they got rid of VR. If you were v16, v10 world bosses were a cakewalk. And you get XP from world bosses, regardless of level.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The worst issue about this announcement is ressource affectation. Lately we've seen a lot of ressource which had been dedicated to improve the overall experience of the newest player:

- Removal of vet-Rank:
    - Dailies DLC model which are not requiring you to confront your skill with the other player
    - Solo Content

The fact that they had created new trial hasn't created any real improvement through the game since most of those trial are still unaccessible to the community because they had been created for 0,5% of the playerbase, player who are pulling some unrealistic number* as far as a regular player can tell. (vMoL)

Also the fact that they had really lower the overall 4-man content and also that they haven't increase the number of those dungeon is also an issue. The fact that most of the end-game gear isn't consistent with what most player would find appealing in term of end-game possibility is also an issue**.

So overall the fact that they are rationalizing the game isn't for me an issue. The fact that this announcement gets prior starlight over all the end-game and overall continuity of the game is Something that does botters me.

* Pulling 45k Dps on a single characther when the really good group player reach 30k at best ! and when the good one does 24/28k.
    ** I would personnally love to see soft cap reintroduce and get some improvement in term of end-game gear instead of bringing some undermining bonus to some of those set.

Removal of VR wasn't really meant to improve the experience of the newest players. The newest players are level 1 and aren't repeating any quests. If they are story focused, as many are, VR was never an issue on that first character.
  • RomansXXI
    RomansXXI
    ✭✭✭
    Question: if it's now all about the champion points, which can be accessed by all characters on an account, does that instantly make my level 3 bosmer almost as powerful as my vet 3 redguard? Almost is because of gear and abilities.

By Veteran dungeons, this means level 50 now yes?
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah right yeah, that's probably why I didn't really consider that to be a possibility to start with.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Everything will scale up to the current CP cap world wide. At every CP cap increase we will see Tamriel creatures "level up". So you will immediately battle level up to the Cap... Just like entering any DLC for the first time. The only thing that wont scale is crafting nodes, they will stay in line with the current leveling process, high end mats will remain DLC locked.

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Segeta
    Segeta
    Soul Shriven
    I like this.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »

Everything will scale up to the current CP cap world wide. At every CP cap increase we will see Tamriel creatures "level up". So you will immediately battle level up to the Cap... Just like entering any DLC for the first time. The only thing that wont scale is crafting nodes, they will stay in line with the current leveling process, high end mats will remain DLC locked.

According to Kai, they will be scaling the crafting to match what they do with DLC zones and Potency runes.

Naturally, this can change or he might be wrong (or I would not be wasting my time posting here). If they just leave crafting alone, it would be almost exactly what I asked for 2 years ago. However, the crafting nodes are a deal breaker for me. I am not interested in playing this game if they insist on changing crafting nodes globally.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    Geez I get excited about the idea of this and I come back to the forums to see some new info on it. Bam! What do you know a bunch of negative comments that just kill my buzz. I am regreting my decision for reading other people comments about the subject.

A key gamer skill: preserving your excitement while ignoring the disappointment of others. Let them be disappointed.....don't let it ruin your enthusiasm! There are always others who will share your excitement. Find them and hang out with them.
  • bareheiny
    bareheiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Even people who like questing shouldn't, the story won't make any sense if you don't do it in the right order.
    I've been running all around the areas I have access to - and I've royally screwed a number of quest lines. I came across the Spinner's Cottage and completed"The Witch of Silatar" before I even met the Wilderking. It was somewhat disconcerting to be sent back to the Cottage to meet the Spinner.

Essentially, it doesn't matter if I have access to only DC territory or Tamriel....I'm quite capable of completing quests out of order.

• Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think removing faction locking is a great idea, and here's one way it could work lore wise. It'd be a great idea for factions to be removed from the character creation screen, and upon escaping cold harbor the portal drops you into the ocean and you are picked up by a passing boat. From there, you can tell the captain where the boat should take you (one of the 3 alliance starting zones). From there, you can explore the world freely and do quests for each alliance at your own will. At level 10 when you unlock PvP, you will be able to go to one of the alliance leaders and swear to that alliance (selecting what side you fight for in PvP). This way, players can experience each alliance before joining one. The option of switching alliances (with a cooldown) could be added aswell.
    Edited by Drazhar14 on June 13, 2016 10:55PM
  • Runaan
    Runaan
    ✭✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by Runaan on June 14, 2016 12:18AM
    Runaan Fortis
    Altmer Sorcerer

Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines.

- A Dominion of peace. The fair and just rule of Tamriel
  • stypsyb14_ESO
    stypsyb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    So if ZOS is on record for saying they don't like the idea of down-scaling, does that mean if I with my CP160+ character, want to help my friend, level 20 character with her quests, we group up and her and her mobs up-scale to CP160 to match me?

It would be nice seeing I'll always get CP160+ drops, while she gets level 20 drops .. and we both get the appropriate amount of xp for the kills.

Otherwise, it could be a mess.
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the idea behind the 'one tamriel', i like simular systems that do this like in the mmo's defiance and gw2

that said

this might be too big of a undertaking for you guys, since you have such a big problem with lag in the cyrodiil zones, bringing that into the pve zones is going to be a nightmare.

again, that said

i look forward to this, and so long as pvp stays in cyrodiil, i will greet 'one tamriel' with open arms, at least so long as the lag is not a problem
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    Drelkag wrote: »
    Wow. This is what I always wanted out of ESO - to play with my friends and explore the world as we wanted.

The update of my dreams.

+1

awesome improvement <3

Next one the difficulty slider ?

If you can handle this, the difficulty slider is "just" an extension.....

please :)

I wholeheartedly agree.

First though I would like to congratulate ESO on these changes. Very cool and long wanted! Thank you!

This brings Eso much closer to how the traditional Elder Scroll games feel and play.

I also would like to see a difficulty slider added, with the current levels of difficulty in the game as the "easiest" setting. For those of us that have played a long time it would be very fun to be able to play a 4 person group while doing the "zone" content. For many of us even playing alone this content has become to easy (we have gotten good enough at the game, so much of the challenge is missing from this content). Simply adding a difficulty slider, adjustable by the player would reinvigorate a great deal of the older content and allow even more content to be done by groups of friends.

A lot of us are very happy with the direction you (hard working) DEVs have been steering the game. Thank you for a game that has remained fun for a great many of us for years. That is not an easy thing to accomplish. I especially like the battle leveling that allows my wife and I to play any of our characters together, and now from any alliance! Very happy players :smiley:

No, call the current difficulty, normal, or moderate, and make the easy one just easier for peeps who don't all have greens and blues and above, crafted sets, our brains plugged into the game's knowledge database, etc. Then, add two or three harder settings above normal/moderate that players can choose from, to make the game inclusive. Not everyone plays a game to climb a virtual Everest, though I do respect that if people want to do that.
    My only real beef with this is story continuity.
    Please just make sure that the story quests are given prerequisite quests that need to be completed first.

Like, I don't see any problem with skipping Stonefalls entirely and goin right into Deeshan or the Eastmarch; but set it up in such a fashion that only the side-quests are available in these later zones unless you've completed the main story quests from the earlier zones. Otherwise you end up with continuity issues where you're doing the story all out of order.

I know it was said on the panel that you can "RP this however you want" but things like story continuity aren't really things that can be RPed away and, even as much a folks tend to shrug it off, story is a big part of these games; and if the story is nonsense the game will be significantly less engaging.

That said, do the same thing with cross-faction adventuring. If I'm playing as a Pact character and decide to head to Auridon, don't let me just pick the main story quest and start working for the Queen. I choose the Ebonheart pact as my main allegiance, allow tht to still be significant outside of PvP. Sure, let me do all the side quests and world bosses and anchors and whatever in Auridon as much as I want; but leave the main story of opposing factions off limits until I unlock them through Cadwell.

In short; I think this is a great addition, but make efforts to keep the story in tact, please.

Yeah, I think the RP part is so that peeps can make their own head-canons. Which, incidentally, is what I do.

Except that this really sucks, being a new character in a battle-levelled zone, if ZOS does it like you suggest they might. I could take a level 6 to Hew's Bane, take a bazillion hits (well, quite a few more hits than some people seem to dismissively suggest, anyway) to destroy *one* standard difficulty mob in a group of two or three similarly-HPed enemies. With that in mind, it feels like new or casual players are being steamrolled, as at lower levels, few can compete in battle-levelled zones unless they've got BiS gear and build, and know more about this game than anyone else alive. Scaling down in swtor works really well: no content is irrelevent, you get gear and rewards according to your actual level, not scaled one, and *that's* how this should be done, imho.

I can't imagine why ZOS would be against down-levelling, nor why they restricted some quest lines to solo-only.

I block, interrupt, and evade the red, yet this game still feels hard to me. Enemies hit way too hard for my liking, and heavy armour can feel as papery as light. I really, *really* hate Aldimion, but I'm so enamoured of the Doshia fight.

And this is what a difficulty slider would take care of, to each their own difficulty that they can pick and choose (to the point that even Doshia would be on or above par with the hardest trial end boss, ever.) I could breeze along and enjoy myself, and everyone who thinks the game is too easy can get their challenge fix.

I do love this game, the universe in which it's set, and RPing with all that in mind (the lorebooks are AMAZING!!!), and I think any TES fan should be able to play it exactly their way, and not be judged for it by a seemingly unforgiving community *begging* for ESO: The Dark Souls Edition, which, incidentally, a difficulty slider would and should be able to grant their wish.

I'm hopeful that One Tamriel will be truly magnificent, but I'll reserve judgement until we get more details on the precise implications of everything regarding this.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

According to Kai, they will be scaling the crafting to match what they do with DLC zones and Potency runes.

Naturally, this can change or he might be wrong (or I would not be wasting my time posting here). If they just leave crafting alone, it would be almost exactly what I asked for 2 years ago. However, the crafting nodes are a deal breaker for me. I am not interested in playing this game if they insist on changing crafting nodes globally.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying here by 'Globally'. Do you mean to say that nodes will scale to your skill level? If that's what I'm understanding then that's a poor change... But maybe it's a coding issue? Easier to just implement what's already in game via the DLC's we currently have.

I guess I'm gonna have to get busy gathering mats before the change.

• xBHxTHEKILLz
    xBHxTHEKILLz
    Soul Shriven
    This new "One Tamriel" is one of the worst things they can do. It defeats the purpose of levelling up. I would say, make it all playable but no level scaling.

Acrolas wrote: »
    So I can create a brand-new DC character, walk from Glenumbra to Auridon... and fight Covenant soldiers.
    BRILLIANT.
    The game wasn't designed for inter-faction traveling. Silver and Gold interactions made that painfully obvious, and now they've just bum *** a battle leveling system on top of it.

"In general, higher level players will be the same “level" as lower level players, but they will have far more tools in their arsenal: better gear, more abilities, and of course more Champion points."

So the game really will be a CP-measuring contest now. Thanks guys.

"One Tamriel will not affect the PvP systems in Cyrodiil."

Of course it does. This makes PVP obsolete because you're now allowed to play all three sides at your whim. You're not a champion anymore. You're a tourist.

Welcome to Disneynirn.
  • Arsibaani
    Arsibaani
    Soul Shriven
    This new "One Tamriel" is one of the worst things they can do. It defeats the purpose of levelling up. I would say, make it all playable but no level scaling.

Acrolas wrote: »
    So I can create a brand-new DC character, walk from Glenumbra to Auridon... and fight Covenant soldiers.
    BRILLIANT.
    The game wasn't designed for inter-faction traveling. Silver and Gold interactions made that painfully obvious, and now they've just bum *** a battle leveling system on top of it.

"In general, higher level players will be the same “level" as lower level players, but they will have far more tools in their arsenal: better gear, more abilities, and of course more Champion points."

So the game really will be a CP-measuring contest now. Thanks guys.

"One Tamriel will not affect the PvP systems in Cyrodiil."

Of course it does. This makes PVP obsolete because you're now allowed to play all three sides at your whim. You're not a champion anymore. You're a tourist.

Welcome to Disneynirn.

Do you even play this game? everything IS playable now, but there is no point in going high level zones at level1 'cause you can't do anything.

I'm laughing at everyone who thinks this is somehow a bad thing. I mean it only gives you more options as a new player, but it doesn't take anything away from you as an old player. If you don't want to start from reapers march simply don't do that. Just give me one reason(that doesn't involve decisions) why this is a bad thing?