Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vampire and werewolf "bites" in the crown store

AzraelKrieg
AzraelKrieg
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Really ZOS? Really? They are easy enough to get in the game. Why would anyone want to pay actual money to get them from the crown store? That's beyond ridiculous.
Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they had matched these with the console release they could have made a killing. I think now however it's just too common to have people give them out for free or a low cost.

The only advantage I can see from this is it's something you could activate mid dungeon/trial etc.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes me wince. But I was here at PC launch when they kept screwing up the spawn times for bloodfiends and camped the area for over 2 weeks to get my bite. SIGH But...oh well. I'm sure there are people out there who will give ZOS money for this. I know I'd pay ZOS to give me a skin that allowed me to revert my vampires to their mortal appearance and I'd gladly pay then to change the Stage Timers for vamps so that Stage 1 lasts 90 minutes and Stage 3 lasts 30 minutes instead of the way it is now which is the exact opposite.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say I don't like this. It almost seems like they are aiming at new players who have no idea you can obtain this ingame with very little effort. They should at least point it out in the description of the CS item.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Given how many people I see crying about werewolf and vamp bite scams this makes sense. If people are that desperate for a bite... let 'em have it. Getting bites for free isn't too hard, but I still see people getting screwed over after buying a bite in-game and not getting it.

Although, this does totally cross the "cosmetic" only line ZOS said it wasn't going to cross.
  • Angarato
    Angarato
    ✭✭✭
    lol this is so silly, people give those out for free all the time.
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok my question is -

If you buy the bite in the store do you skip the quest?

Or do you still have to do the quest and kill 10 lvl 38 mobs to be a vampire or the troll for WW?
    It would add value to purchasing the bite if you could skip the quests.
    Otherwise I feel bad for a new player buying the bite and not doing their research first lol
    Edited by Myyth on December 3, 2015 3:55PM
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you still need to do the quest. I think it just grants the affliction. Not sure because I'm not gonna waste 1500 crowns to test it
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really ZOS? Really? They are easy enough to get in the game. Why would anyone want to pay actual money to get them from the crown store? That's beyond ridiculous.
    Convenience.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe you still need to do the quest. I think it just grants the affliction. Not sure because I'm not gonna waste 1500 crowns to test it

"When purchased, you will immediately turn into a Vampire or Werewolf; there is no item to interact with, and nothing will be placed in your inventory." Sounds like no quest to me, but, they never actually pointed out there is no quest.. did say it was instant though.

Not a big fan of this.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

"When purchased, you will immediately turn into a Vampire or Werewolf; there is no item to interact with, and nothing will be placed in your inventory." Sounds like no quest to me, but, they never actually pointed out there is no quest.. did say it was instant though.

Not a big fan of this.
    Me either when put like that. If so it sounds like what they give you with a high level template character on the PTS. You just click the scroll and *poof*, you get your fangs.

This would pair well with an orb of "skipping the five companions quest line" and a "brazier of instant level 50" :wink:

Edited by tinythinker on December 3, 2015 4:13PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big fan of this.
    Me either. It sounds like what they give you with a high level template character on the PTS. You just click the scroll and *poof*, you get your fangs.

I was just about to come back to this thread and mention that! I was foolish enough to think these were datamined just because they were used on the PTS.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big fan of this.
    Me either. It sounds like what they give you with a high level template character on the PTS. You just click the scroll and *poof*, you get your fangs.

I was just about to come back to this thread and mention that! I was foolish enough to think these were datamined just because they were used on the PTS.
    We should ask someone who bought it. The actual Crown item just says you get the curse. Don't see anything about skipping the quest.

• Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you can skip the quest and instantly turn into a vampire or werewolf then I know what I will be buying with my monthly crown sub allowance then.
    Having to do the quest is the only thing that has held me back and I have nothing else to spend crowns on they just pile up unused, so may as well. going to go make my lvl 3 werewolf now!
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big fan of this.

We should ask someone who bought it. The actual Crown item just says you get the curse. Don't see anything about skipping the quest.

Yeah, saying it gives you the curse contradicts their later statement of "immediately turn into a campire or werewolf"/ Hmmm. Must investigate.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that these bites are also available on RMT & auction websites. This could also be an effort to give the people buying those a legal way to purchase them.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Myyth wrote: »
    Well if you can skip the quest and instantly turn into a vampire or werewolf then I know what I will be buying with my monthly crown sub allowance then.
    Having to do the quest is the only thing that has held me back and I have nothing else to spend crowns on they just pile up unused, so may as well. going to go make my lvl 3 werewolf now!

If you can skip the quest, this has become the first step into the P2W realm, I've never played a WW, so I don't know about them. But the vampire skill line has some definate advantages to it.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.
    Thanks for confirming. The wording was a little ambiguous.

Of course, now there will be even more players asking for Vamp/WW buffs and fixes :)

Happy hunting to all of the new creatures of darkness and blood.

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate to see Zos take this path. Hard to watch tbh.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who's going to buy these?

Who doesn't know someone who can bite them?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can skip the quest, this has become the first step into the P2W realm, I've never played a WW, so I don't know about them. But the vampire skill line has some definate advantages to it.

Yes, I imagine you also instantly gain the achievement related to becoming a vamp or WW too.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Given how many people I see crying about werewolf and vamp bite scams this makes sense. If people are that desperate for a bite... let 'em have it. Getting bites for free isn't too hard, but I still see people getting screwed over after buying a bite in-game and not getting it.

Although, this does totally cross the "cosmetic" only line ZOS said it wasn't going to cross.

well tat is true but i won't call it P2W cause in game it's not that hard to get it. if people are still willing to pay then why not
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still would like to see more of these convenience items earnable in game.. Mounts for instance..
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Who's going to buy these?

Who doesn't know someone who can bite them?
    I understand why some folks don't know about/can't find free bites. Don't know why ZOS couldn't just increase the number or frequency of spawn if there was an issue with people not being able to get bites (other than to pursue monetization). Or, why the quests are skipped even if bites are sold for convenience and profit. The vamp and werewolf quests are very short and have lore.

• AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getting the affliction cured is more of a convenience since it would be the same as a respec scroll. Getting an instant transformation without going through the effort is ridiculous.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how this is pay to win because it's something obtainable within the game and as others have said it's very easy to get.

Pay to win is something which gives you a massive boost in ability/power over others who can't achieve the same within reasonable means., things like "gold ammo" in World of Tanks.

If ZOS start selling weapons or armour within the store which is strong than in game ones, this is pay to win. If their consumables are better than in game ones, this is pay to win.

People are far to happy to throw the P2W argument at anything which they don't agree with being within the store.

/endrant
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did they turn up in the store? I only remember seeing them in the store on PTS.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I imagine you also instantly gain the achievement related to becoming a vamp or WW too.
    I have only turned characters who could find spawn. Been playing since late beta/early access. Werewolf was easy to find but those vamp spawn were hard. Only found one about 5-6 weeks ago. I am sure there will be lots of P2W arguments, but however people frame it, it's just one more thing that needs to go into a new "wallet achievement" section in the character Journal.

• AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    When did they turn up in the store? I only remember seeing them in the store on PTS.

Just showed up today
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting the affliction cured is more of a convenience since it would be the same as a respec scroll. Getting an instant transformation without going through the effort is ridiculous.
    It would take a whole 5-15 minutes for the quest for either vamp or ww. That is *not* convenient. :smirk: