The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Vampire and werewolf "bites" in the crown store

• Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    If they had matched these with the console release they could have made a killing. I think now however it's just too common to have people give them out for free or a low cost.

The only advantage I can see from this is it's something you could activate mid dungeon/trial etc.

Agree kinda pointless now but they would of made a fortune at console launch.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So was the bugging of the WW quest which makes it an incredibly tedious task at the moment intentional???
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming soon: Mages and Fighters Guild rank ups

I am going to be actively looking to give out free bites when they're available now. Because this is just stupid.

I'm glad to hear that me and my guild aren't the only ones taking action then. I envy anyone else who commits to this.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never charged for giving out bites...
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Infinite12
    Infinite12
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Who's going to buy these?

Who doesn't know someone who can bite them?

That's not even the point, really. The point is why do these crown store items exist at all? You're creating a shortcut for something that was really easy to do already. Yet they go crazy with stamping things with "Bind on Pick up", making it harder for people grinding items. But lets give people who just have to go stand in a field and wait for a bloodfiend or ww to spawn an easier way to get ww or vamp. Dumb. Just plain dumb.
    [GT: INFINITE12] XB1 I NA I DC PRIMARILY I
    My Characters
    Ragnhild VR16 Nord DK I 2h/Bow (PVP) or 2h/Dual Wield (PVE)
    Nakothre VR7 Khajiit I Dual Wield/2H (PVP)
    Infinitesmo VR16 Imperial NB I 2h/Bow (PVP)

Tip: If you don't like funerals don't kick sand in a ninja's face
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    I've never charged for giving out bites...

I haven't charged anyone for bites for maybe 2 to 3 months now. Anyone who scammed, I just told them how they can get their money back back. This is coming from personal experience with being scammed myself and I hated seeing others going through the same thing.

I read a post saying that this was brought in to prevent scamming. 5 months after release on consoles and now they bring it in? When very few people charge anymore and scamming has become harder, that's the excuse some people come up with when supporting this move by Zenimax.
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    what if all the players insisted on giving everyone the bites for free? no one would buy it.

just give the bites for free.... and vote for race change and other useful things....
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just give the bites for free.... and vote for race change and other useful things....[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the race change would just break things further, including class changing. Appearance modification would be a good idea, but they'll just charge maybe 500 crowns per scar or makeup addition.
  • i3ig_Gun
    i3ig_Gun
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

Then "conveniently" make it where we can have a instant lvl 50 character since your removing vet ranks soon.

and "conveniently" make it were we can buy champion points for you casual players

and "conveniently" allow us to buy our monster helms/gear/set bonus/traits/..... you know what....

Just give us a win button......
    XBOX ONE - NA
    GT: i3ig Gun
    Legion of Many - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    Well, I've seen many other games go from subscription to some variation of free to play, but I've never seen any of those games improve. AT ALL. Quite the opposite. Every single time this sort of thing has happened in the past, it has been beyond detrimental to the game, it has destroyed the foundation of the game as a whole.

What I mean is, there is little to no development time (read dollars) spent on the GAME, all the company pays attention to is the STORE.

I've seen it over and over and over and over, and the pattern is exactly the same every time. As far as I'm concerned, this is really the beginning of the end. Any hopes I had of seeing parts of the world not currently in the game (like Vvardenfell or Black Marsh, or what have you) will likely be dashed. Those areas will be left undeveloped, unless they can be somehow monetized. And so it will go for everything, a downward slippery spiral into destruction.

Don't misunderstand me, I really hope I'm wrong. I've just never been wrong about this kind of thing before.

Different thread, from a few months ago. Seems we're on to step 2 in the program. Not a good sign.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give us a win button......[/quote]

Sure thing, only 5000 crowns. Or in England, nearly £25. Or just half the price of the base game.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems we're on to step 2 in the program. Not a good sign.[/quote]

Only this isn't free to play.

Base game = £49.99.
    Imperial Edition = £89.99.
    ESO Plus = £9.99.
    Everything thrown in together, including micro transactions = Big £.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although this is going to benefit me as I have been looking for a Werewolf bite but have so far not been able to get one... I really don't like the idea of an easy bypass for something cool like this. The quests for both sound really cool & I didn't want to bypass them.

To me,TES games have always been about "if you do something often, you get better at it" so people that have been playing longer are always going to be ahead of people that haven't played as much. This might sound 'unfair' to new players but that's the way TES games have always been. Giving players a way to bypass this & pay to progress faster seems like the beginning of a slippery slope to PTW.

(That said... I logged in & bought a werewolf bite before I left for work today... damn hypocrisy!)
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

Now we know why the Werewolf quest is broken...
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • gilbegger
    gilbegger
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad they are doing this.

But it is a little too late.

If you guys dont like it, dont buy it.

I will be purchasing one (vamp bite) for one of my low level characters. I was one of the idiots who was scammed in early release (ps4) because a lot of azzzhats were camping spwanpoints for evil purposes. (only 1k...no biggie...but still...I bet that guys parents are proud)

And for you "the sky is falling" sheep...this was comming. This is not an "i win " button. Its convienence, pure and simple.

Im hoping options like this appear in the crown store soon. Im looking for "race change" to eventually show up. Again, its a convienence item not an "i win " button. As much as they change racial passives a "race chance" option is sorely needed.

Ty for adding another option to the store.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gilbegger wrote: »

I will be purchasing one (vamp bite) for one of my low level characters. I was one of the idiots who was scammed in early release (ps4) because a lot of azzzhats were camping spwanpoints for evil purposes. (only 1k...no biggie...but still...I bet that guys parents are proud)

And for you "the sky is falling" sheep...this was comming. This is not an "i win " button. Its convienence, pure and simple.

Im hoping options like this appear in the crown store soon. Im looking for "race change" to eventually show up. Again, its a convienence item not an "i win " button. As much as they change racial passives a "race chance" option is sorely needed.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I'm saying they're knocking the legs out from under it. Eventually, it WILL fall.

It always follows the same pattern, just at different rates.

They all begin by saying they're going Free to Play or something like it, and that there will be a store with cosmetics and knick knacks that won't affect the game itself.

Before long, they start adding little things that do affect the game, potions and xp scrolls and the like.

Next comes the more significant things, skill lines, actual equipment and so forth, usually in the name of "convenience."

Sooner or later, the store will start to get more and more genuine Pay to Win merchandise, and demand will soar. When that happens, they will devote all their attention TO the store, and the rest of the game will be largely ignored.

They're on the path.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By buying these 'convenient items' you're just helping Zenimax become more confident in bringing in new ridiculous ideas to cash in on.

Instead of adding an option to buy a bite for half the price of Orsinium, they should be setting more harsh punishments for those who scam and ruin the game for other, make more spawn areas for vampires and werewolves to spawn in and increase the number of them spawning in and balance the infection process so players of all levels can enjoy the benefits.

When a person such as yourself decides to fall for what is essentially a cash in bait, it's almost like you're saying you don't care about the integrity of the game. People are paying £50 and more for a game they should be able to enjoy only to discover that there are issues with it and instead of fixing them, Zenimax decides to cash in on the idea. It's not only greedy, lazy and damaging to the game's health, but it also ruins the fun and enjoyment you can get from the game.

Did anyone who support Zenimax with these micro transactions stop to think of the long term consequences it can have on the game and even the franchise?
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on December 4, 2015 1:27AM
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this sets a bad precedent, in the name of "convienience."

very bad precedent.
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify...

I don't think that offering the "bite" (or just the initial infection) in the crown store is a bad idea. In fact, it's a great idea, because it prevents players from getting scammed.

Where it crosses the line is that it actually completes the initiation quest for you as well. I know why ZOS did that, because people would buy the bite and then complain that they couldn't do the quest. But that's where it becomes almost P2W. Requiring players to complete the quest at least prevents people from getting the ability before they are high enough level (or skilled enough) to get it normally.

All IMHO of course, but I think most people seem to agree.
  • gilbegger
    gilbegger
    ✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I'm saying they're knocking the legs out from under it. Eventually, it WILL fall.

It always follows the same pattern, just at different rates.

They all begin by saying they're going Free to Play or something like it, and that there will be a store with cosmetics and knick knacks that won't affect the game itself.

Before long, they start adding little things that do affect the game, potions and xp scrolls and the like.

Next comes the more significant things, skill lines, actual equipment and so forth, usually in the name of "convenience."

Sooner or later, the store will start to get more and more genuine Pay to Win merchandise, and demand will soar. When that happens, they will devote all their attention TO the store, and the rest of the game will be largely ignored.

They're on the path.

I opologize to everyone for the sheep comment...shouldnt have typed that...or the sky is falling stuff.

It just bothers me that people expect games like this to last forever. They dont. Each of these games have their time then they fade away, and we as a community move on to our next "everlasting" game. Ive played a lot of mmos...as have a lot of you Im sure. (everquest,asherons call, City of heroes,wow, ESO, star wars, ect..ect)

Every game has a life cycle. Enjoy it while your game is popular enough to have a thriving playing community. Then when it falls to an unaceptable level to you, move on to another one.

It just bothers me when doom/gloom comments are made early on in a games existance.

The convienence item stuff in the crown store is the norm now. ESO isnt sub based any longer and items like this will keep our game growing until they decide its not making money. That is when YOU WILL see pay to win items in the shop. This is when the "end is near", and this is when i will move along to my next mmo.

No big deal.
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting the affliction cured is more of a convenience since it would be the same as a respec scroll. Getting an instant transformation without going through the effort is ridiculous.
    It would take a whole 5-15 minutes for the quest for either vamp or ww. That is *not* convenient. :smirk:

The quest is so easy. It just takes a few minutes. I would much rather be able to skip the first talk to the Prophet quest. I hate doing that one more than once. If we could only spacebar through it like in swtor. :D
    Edited by Blud on December 4, 2015 1:44AM
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sets a dangerous precedent for the Crown Store.

selling a skill line for cash is not something we should be ok with them doing.

I'm just saying.

now if this were, instead of selling the Bite, selling a cosmetic that changes the way you look when you are a Werewolf or Vampire, while still requiring you to BE a Vamp/WW already to use it, then that is something else. that is something I would be in favor of.

suppose this gets popular, what are the chances that ZOS sees dollar signs and starts selling any new skills and skill lines(say like, Poisons) on the Crown store, rather than just adding them to the game as part of DLC/Updates like normal MMOs do.
  • Senk3tsu
    Senk3tsu
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like this at all, while it falls into kind of a grey area with it not necessarily being 'pay to win,' it does effect gameplay but what is the main concern for me personally is I can see this opening up the flood gates for other things listed under 'convenience.' For example, maybe mages guild 10 or even undaunted since you're basically giving a skill line with the bite offer those two could fall under the same thing.
    @D3rpyMuffins
    Twitch.tv/D3rpyMuffins
    Psijic Tester - Playing since January 2014
    Amaya Flametongue - Dunmer DK EP
    Baby Amaya - Breton Templar EP
    Amaya The Scorn - Dunmer NB AD
    Seven Chakras - Imperial Templar DC
    Heart Chakra - Altmer Sorc DC

• Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched it happen to Star Wars Galaxies.
    I watched it happen to City of Heroes.
    I watched it happen to Dungeons & Dragons Online.
    I watched it happen to Lord of the Rings Online.
    I watched it happen to Champions Online.
    I watched it happen to Age of Conan.
    I watched it happen to Star Trek Online.
    I watched it happen to Star Wars The Old Republic Online.
    I watched it happen to Pirates of the Burning Sea.

I'm watching it happen to Elder Scrolls Online.

Every single time I've seen it before, it's followed the same exact pattern, with exactly the same results. How fast it happens varies, and how deeply it's felt depends on the game (for instance, Lord of the Rings Online suffers somewhat less because they have a definite story path to follow), but it always ends up in the same place.

You may disagree, but experience is a harsh teacher. It's also the best teacher. It's happened too many times for me to expect anything different this time.
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol who the hell is in charge of the crown store design decisions cause they need to get a clue....serious waste of dev time.

• Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wel GJ to ZoS just did the quest again today and it was so *** bugged out. EVERY step was bugged out and had to leave re-enter realm to progress 1 *** step in the quest. anything to do with crownstore ZoS?
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The convienence item stuff in the crown store is the norm now.

So you're saying we shouldn't challenge the norm?
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on December 4, 2015 11:29AM
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just curious why people care what other people may want to do in a game. If your bothered by it then do buy it. It's an easy quest and it's not that hard to come by the gold some people want for it (I don't charge) so it's not going to be a game changer.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xjcon wrote: »
    I'm just curious why people care what other people may want to do in a game. If your bothered by it then do buy it. It's an easy quest and it's not that hard to come by the gold some people want for it (I don't charge) so it's not going to be a game changer.

We're concerned because it's a symptom of more serious problems.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xjcon wrote: »

it's the first crownstore purchase that let's you skip content THAT's the main reason