The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Vampire and werewolf "bites" in the crown store

• jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm following this right the infection(bites) from the crown store ends up locking one out of the vamp or ww start quest? If thats the case I'd still rather obtain in game then crown store.
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    i kinda feel this is a slap in the face to the design team that put the effort into making those quest lines.

so many people are going to miss out on something that makes it so much more meaningful to be vamp/werewolf.
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um ok...skip 10 minutes of dialog and killing a boss?

A sign that the company wants to turn a profit? That's obvious. No one in their right mind wants to run a company and not turn a profit.

Still not Pay to Win. That would be a last ditch effort to make as much as they could before the ship sank.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
  • xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS you really know how to scam players 1,300 crowns for a bite. Those are free now I'm a ww and been trying to bite anyone for free for two weeks now. Now because of this I will never bite anyone again. :(
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xboxone1Q wrote: »
    ZOS you really know how to scam players 1,300 crowns for a bite. Those are free now I'm a ww and been trying to bite anyone for free for two weeks now. Now because of this I will never bite anyone again. :(

You should bite more people, so that they are not having to give ZOS money for this weal excuse at a cash-grab.
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Bebopgroove
    Bebopgroove
    ✭✭✭
    xboxone1Q wrote: »

Honestly there's literally other better things to buy in the crown store. Especially when that option is "free or spend crowns?"
    -_-
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually stay away from this forum. I think I don't post anything here since beta or the first month after release, although I never stopped playing the game and I'm quite active on the sub-reddit.

But I wanted to add my voice to the other voices in this thread, just to say that I am not okay with this either. The addition of these skill lines (and of a "skill line" category in the Crown Store) made me pretty scared about the future of this game. Will max alliance war skill line be added eventually? When the Thieves' Guild and the Dark Brotherhood DLCs are released, will these guilds' skill lines be sold separately? How far is ZOS willing to go and claim it is just "convenience"?

I wish I had any hope that things won't go any further on that direction, but this addition makes it pretty hard.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this different from XP boost scrolls, potions, food buffs, horse riding skills?

• Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pronkg wrote: »
    How is this different from XP boost scrolls, potions, food buffs, horse riding skills?

Exactly the point I was making. They started with cosmetic things. Then added minor convenience things. Then added more significant, game changing things. Now we're getting skill lines. Eventually items to craft bleeding edge gear. Then the gear itself. Then exclusive store only gear... followed by the next generation of store only gear that makes the original stuff obsolete... and so on.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually kinda like this. I've never played as a Vampire or Werewolf in ESO but never really had enough desire to bother going through the process since it requires chance or help from others (and I'm rather not very social, cue: 'but this is an MMO' copy/paste), but if it's something in the crown store I don't mind spending a few dollars to test it out. It'd be better if it still required the quest, or at least allowed you to do it though.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

None of those add an entire skill line. XP Boosts, food and drink are easily craftable in game and the ones from the store offer a lesser buff to some extent over crafted ones. The horse skills are just a way to speed up the process. Ever created a new character and taken it into Cyrodiil? The map is huge and with a slow horse you'd miss the action or fall behind the group. If the crown store vamp and werewolf gave you the affliction but still made you do the quest most of the people in this topic including myself wouldn't have so much of an issue. But since it makes you a vamp or a werewolf without the quest this is one steep slip closer to that P2W territory.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

None of those add an entire skill line. XP Boosts, food and drink are easily craftable in game and the ones from the store offer a lesser buff to some extent over crafted ones. The horse skills are just a way to speed up the process. Ever created a new character and taken it into Cyrodiil? The map is huge and with a slow horse you'd miss the action or fall behind the group. If the crown store vamp and werewolf gave you the affliction but still made you do the quest most of the people in this topic including myself wouldn't have so much of an issue. But since it makes you a vamp or a werewolf without the quest this is one steep slip closer to that P2W territory.

Vamp and ww is also easily obtainable and the quests are like 10 minutes to complete. Nothing more difficult then farming mats and crafting food.

Your arguments make no sense.

I shall make one argument the Same as all you people are doing with vamp and ww, here we go

"Horse riding scrolls is p2w cause people can easily have faster horses and now they can more easily go to castles and get easier emperor and more castles."

Another one

Xp scrolls is pay to win cause you get easier champion points and skills max therefor get stronger than other people.

Even a new player buying a mount is pay to win isn't it?

Its all same and always has been like this.

Get real please.

Just play the game

Also this is coming from a player who will never ever spend a penny on riding skills, XP scrolls, vamp ww whatever, but doesn't care at all that others do
  • Nightenhowl
    Nightenhowl
    ✭✭✭
    This change sucks been looking for vamp bite for days and now I have to pay for it. What happens when I want to complete ww master achievement, so gg ZOS I gotta to pay for achievements now or wait for lousy moon cycles plus this change increases the value of ww/vamp bites in game. This change shows a P2W direction for me, and I am not impressed.
    Edited by Nightenhowl on December 4, 2015 11:26AM
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This change sucks been looking for vamp bite for days and now I have to pay for it. What happens when I want to complete ww master achievement, so gg ZOS I gotta to pay for achievements now or wait for lousy moon cycles plus this change increases the value of ww/vamp bites in game. This change shows a P2W direction for me, and I am not impressed.

If you're on PC and EU server, I can get someone in my guild to bite you for free. If you're not on either of those, I'll PM you with info on other free bite guilds.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Really ZOS? Really? They are easy enough to get in the game. Why would anyone want to pay actual money to get them from the crown store? That's beyond ridiculous.

very bad move ZOS, hopefully they do it only once!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

if crown store items are only for convenience, why dont you drop BOE and BOP and make it tradable (and also motifs in crown store)?? :)
    that would be fair to stand for this statement
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting very close to that Crown Store red line of reward for effort. You shouldn't be able to get the rewards for something if you don't put in the effort. Here, you're getting the rewards for the quests (albeit not all the rewards, as the quest also gives XP) without having to do the quests. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if these items gave you the initial disease (Noxiphilic Sanguivoria or Sanies Lupinus) rather than the skill line directly, as then you'd still need to do the quest (ie, put in the effort) to get the reward.

@Nightenhowl You don't have to pay for it. They haven't taken away any of the in-game sources of Vampirism or Lycanthropy.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

unless this is level locked u can now pay to be a level 1 vamp or WW, try doing that in game.
    Plus can you add warnings about all the bugs in WW so people know they may be wasting their crowns?
    Edited by Zaldan on December 4, 2015 1:43PM
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I watched it happen to Star Wars Galaxies.
    I watched it happen to City of Heroes.
    I watched it happen to Dungeons & Dragons Online.
    I watched it happen to Lord of the Rings Online.
    I watched it happen to Champions Online.
    I watched it happen to Age of Conan.
    I watched it happen to Star Trek Online.
    I watched it happen to Star Wars The Old Republic Online.
    I watched it happen to Pirates of the Burning Sea.
    I'm watching it happen to Elder Scrolls Online.

Insightful and deserving of a bump. All MMO's in the market with cash shops have eventually degraded into selling character power. Don't let all of this "convenience" talk fool you... This is where ZoS had been headed all along.

And interestingly enough, when they first introduced the "imperial upgrade" near PC launch, many many people predicted this day. The mere fact that ZoS had created the infrastructure to sell items ala carte put a shadow on the launch of the game for many people. And they were right. Purchased items have been giving more and more power and will only get worse into the future.
    Edited by Saltypretzels on December 4, 2015 1:57PM
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why this is a bad thing.

I used to go to the vampire shrine every week to give away a bite for free. I quit going because the people seeking bites quit going to the shrine. I was guessing it was due to the lack of population growth, so no new players seeking out the bites, or people got sick of being scammed or having to pay outrageous amounts of gold to some very greedy players. Whatever the reason, I don't see ZOS making a lot of money off of these CS bites.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Saltypretzels
    Saltypretzels
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tholian1 wrote: »

You are looking short term. People who are complaining are considering long term impacts.

That is the disconnect here.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

I used to go to the vampire shrine every week to give away a bite for free. I quit going because the people seeking bites quit going to the shrine. I was guessing it was due to the lack of population growth, so no new players seeking out the bites, or people got sick of being scammed or having to pay outrageous amounts of gold to some very greedy players. Whatever the reason, I don't see ZOS making a lot of money off of these CS bites.

What you just described is exactly why putting bites in the crown store is so sad. That whole emergent gameplay is now basically gone. The adventure of trying to track down a nightfiend to get infected, or finding someone who would sell you a bite- the elation when someone offers a bite for free. The mystery and glamor, Its all gone.

It was one of those rare elements that made ESO feel more like a living world than just a game.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are looking short term. People who are complaining are considering long term impacts.

That is the disconnect here.

You're absolutely right. People either don't care or aren't considering how the game can be effected in the long run. I love the game and I want it to succeed and last. If this continues, the game will crash and burn and with others saying 'I don't see the problem' or 'If you don't like it, don't buy it' then no change will be brought about.

People are forgetting that this is Elder Scrolls. Remember in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim when you kept dying as a low character and when you progress through the game you look back and feel as though you've actually earned something out of it? That's what this game is supposed to be, only you could now do it online with friends. If you're just going to spend real money just to gain an advantage early and without effort and time put into it, why play the game at all?

And how do you think the game will look for new players? This practice just defeats the point of the games very existence. You're supposed to level up together, fight along side each other and earn rewards together. Look at it this way, imagine that I'm new to the game, I start of with a completely new character in Coldharbour with a fellow player and after the first quest we both spawn together in Davon's Watch. I have no healing potions or food, no mount to ride on, no xp scrolls or anything else that's fancy. The other player on the other hand has spent money on crowns and has discovered the world of the Crown Store. He has brought over 50 healing potions, dozens of xp scrolls and a guar to mount when going long distances. We're both new, we started the same, two completely different results. Does anyone realise the problem here?

It ruins how the game is meant to be played. The only way that people allow this to happen is because they themselves are falling for the cash bait. And here we are, people are defending Zenimax without thinking long term. It's not even like the money earned is seeing much use. I'm on the PS4 EU server, mainly on Ebonheart Pact; now I don't know if this affects other players on different alliances, on different servers, or on different systems, but since Orsinium has been out, even with an update released after that, there are still many issues with bugs and glitches. For example, when on a steep surface, players fall down slowly, sometimes going through the ground, there are now frame rate issues and for some reason guards guards are always facing the wrong direction when stationary. Also, is it just me, or does there seem to be too many guards in the Windhelm bank now?

These are things that need fixing and haven't been, yet we are paying £49.99 for the game and now we're paying for bites because Zenimax can't be bothered to fix the issue with scammers (which hasn't been prevalent for a while now) and people are out there praising this latest move as though it fixes the problem? How dare they make money off of people's misery like that and how ignorant are the players supporting them without thinking long term.
  • LadyShauna
    LadyShauna
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed to see this in the crown store, though I don't know why. I'm usually a supporter of getting everything to be accessible from the store. Why am I disappointed by this? Oh well...
    Lady Shauna - Breton/Sorcerer/DPS-Healer/Vampire/DC/
    Lady Luna Lockheart - Breton/Templar/Healer/Human/DC/
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are people mad about ZOS making money?
    Do they not want ESO to thrive?
    Do they not want new content?

Mind boggling

The debate is over how they make money and how this impacts the game overall. How can you not understand this?

Look at all the posts here completely ignoring every single argument from either side and basically saying "so what?". Well, if you can't bother to understand any side of an argument ... don't enter it. It merely reveals your complete ignorance.
    Edited by Tamanous on December 4, 2015 7:39PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's where they are going. Not me.
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI - My guild gives away Vampire and Werewolf bites.[NA-PC]

I personally am a Vamp fanatic so I have like 6 toons with Vamp and I have never charged for a bite.

Let's make the best of this situation (seeing how popular this thread is) and start promoting free bites to anyone who needs them!
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bad,bad,bad.Really bad move on ZOS's part.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »
    FYI - My guild gives away Vampire and Werewolf bites.[NA-PC]

I personally am a Vamp fanatic so I have like 6 toons with Vamp and I have never charged for a bite.

Let's make the best of this situation (seeing how popular this thread is) and start promoting free bites to anyone who needs them!

My guild gives free werewolf bites on PC/EU server, if you want I can feature your guild on our subreddit :) I've affiliated with lots of other free bite guilds to help everyone. The more the better!
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether I agree with these items in the CS or not, the fact is because so many people were scamming, charging gold and generally being an ar*e about bites they are now in the CS.... ZOS has taken away the 'power' of the people who charge and scam for bites!

I am WW and am often so disappointed in my fellow hounds at the shrines.... I've even been called names for giving my bites away free!