The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Vampire and werewolf "bites" in the crown store

• Infinite12
    Infinite12
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

When will I be able to buy monster sets in the crown store. That sure would be convenient.
    [GT: INFINITE12] XB1 I NA I DC PRIMARILY I
    My Characters
    Ragnhild VR16 Nord DK I 2h/Bow (PVP) or 2h/Dual Wield (PVE)
    Nakothre VR7 Khajiit I Dual Wield/2H (PVP)
    Infinitesmo VR16 Imperial NB I 2h/Bow (PVP)

Tip: If you don't like funerals don't kick sand in a ninja's face
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Infinite12 wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you do not need to do the quest. Once you purchase either bite, you automatically are infected with either Lycanthropy or Vampirism. To reiterate what we've always said, Crown Store items are merely for convenience.

When will I be able to buy monster sets in the crown store. That sure would be convenient.

Exactly.

When can I buy a Vet 16 character from the cash shop?

When I can buy a maxed out crafter from the cash shop?

When can I buy becoming an Emperor from the cash shop?

When can I buy max cp from the cash shop?

These are all very "convenient".
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    OmniDevil wrote: »
    Glaiceana wrote: »
    I think what this confirms for me is that I will try even harder now to help stop people rushing off spending £10 of their money, when I could just give them my bites for free. I understand that some people may not want to do the quest (even if it is short), or may be too low level (although I did the ww quest at level 10 against the lv38 mobs), but the fact that some people may see this crown item, and think that getting a bite is harder than it really is, I will double my efforts in saving people money!

It used to be that I was saving people in game gold, but now this is a whole other deal.

Gave you an agree on this because, well, I do.

I don't see this as p2w as others have said. I'm sure some here will/can/want to desperately try hard to prove why my opinion is wrong and I'm a horrible person for thinking otherwise, but it is what it is.

Coming into console, week one, camping Werewolf spawn points for 6 hours with a few guild members. Not really knowing when/how they spawn, what to expect or anything of the like. Nothing spawned. I decided camping a rare spawn point was something I did in my vet WoW days on my Hunter and those days are long since over. I purchased a bite for 6k gold from a player. Soon after, not wanting anyone else to go through that mess, I spread it to others in the guild that wanted it. Fastfoward a couple months later, I'm giving them away for free. Present time, players are doing the same thing.

So, like you, I'll be doing the same thing.

There is a thing called the internet and Google. I am sorry to hear you spent all that time, but a little research before attempting to acquire a bite would have eliminated that.

I also do not think many are calling it p2w, more saying it is setting up a precedence that could lead into p2w.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    ~a mature gaming community~
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When can we buy alliance points so we can be emperors? :disappointed:
    No, no, no, the Sceptre of Instant Enthronement makes you an Emperor the moment you consume it.
    Since items that allow players to bypass playable game content are now considered "convenience" items, sign me up for this one!

I would it to come with a special swallowing animation while I consume it.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How ZOS defines convenience is just beyond me. How is a skill line a convenience item? How is a RP element a convenience item?

If it's the chat spam charging for kiss problem that they are trying to address or if they simply want all player to have a chance to experience being a vampire or werewolf, they could have made a quest or, in a lazy development case, just make an NPC that people can talk to to receive the buff. I can't think of any word other than greedy to describe such business behavior.

If they do this simply after money, as a saying in my country goes, they are butchering chicken for the egg; drinking poison to relieve the thirst.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »
    I also do not think many are calling it p2w, more saying it is setting up a precedence that could lead into p2w.
    hammer -- > head of the nail

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you dump the compulsory subscription charge, this is what you get.

You get it because the lowest common denominators (lazy, I want it all now, mummy has plenty of money) will spend whatever it takes, to level and get everything as quickly and with as little effort as possible and, they are the ones that make the publishers annual profits expand.
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a thing called the internet and Google. I am sorry to hear you spent all that time, but a little research before attempting to acquire a bite would have eliminated that.

How enlightening. I had no idea that's what Google was for. Here I thought it was that little icon on my phone to download and purchase apps. Actually, how am I even getting this comment here? What? The internet? You don't say.....

Joking aside, you assume I didn't, however. June 9, 2015, at that time, there was no definitive information about what time they spawn or if it was during certain moon phases or if they could be all up at once at all locations. There was speculation, personal observations, but most data conflicted with each others. Still, to this day, while doing farming runs in the Rift for plants, low level ores, etc. I stop by every spot (assuming it's at night) and have yet to see any spawn.

Either way, you didn't grasp (or chose not to) the reason behind my short story of getting my first bite. Simply providing free bites, even more so now.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    Holy crap people. So much complaining.

People that buy this crap are paying the paychecks of the devs. This is the price to pay for a subscription free model.

This is correct. I prefer that the carebears pay the devs' paychecks and not me. Besides, both are underpowered and have a whole skill line of counters. If they wanna pay to look "cool" and die fast in PvP, then is fine by me.

• TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Myyth wrote: »
    ok my question is -

If you buy the bite in the store do you skip the quest?

Or do you still have to do the quest and kill 10 lvl 38 mobs to be a vampire or the troll for WW?
    It would add value to purchasing the bite if you could skip the quests.
    Otherwise I feel bad for a new player buying the bite and not doing their research first lol
    The question is here if you skip the quest are you still in Lamae Bal's Bloodline, techcnaly as a scion your getting your blood replaced with hers so if you don't do the quest then your wouldn't be as powerful a vampire, you wouldn't be a scion.

Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on December 3, 2015 10:04PM
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭

How enlightening. I had no idea that's what Google was for. Here I thought it was that little icon on my phone to download and purchase apps. Actually, how am I even getting this comment here? What? The internet? You don't say.....

Joking aside, you assume I didn't, however. June 9, 2015, at that time, there was no definitive information about what time they spawn or if it was during certain moon phases or if they could be all up at once at all locations. There was speculation, personal observations, but most data conflicted with each others. Still, to this day, while doing farming runs in the Rift for plants, low level ores, etc. I stop by every spot (assuming it's at night) and have yet to see any spawn.

Either way, you didn't grasp (or chose not to) the reason behind my short story of getting my first bite. Simply providing free bites, even more so now.

elderscrollsonline.info/guides/vampire
    teso.mmorpg-life.com/become-vampire-eso/
    ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online/Vampire
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Vampirism

Those are just a few examples of website that have been around since early PC launch. The moon cycle thing changed after an update, but it has always been at night (about midnight) and always in the same locations.

Also

for PC users:
    esoui.com/downloads/info667-Destinations.html
    Marks the locations on your map.
    Edited by NobleNerd on December 3, 2015 9:31PM
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    Website
    DISCORD
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭

Those are just a few examples of website that have been around since early PC launch. The moon cycle thing changed after an update, but it has always been at night (about midnight) and always in the same locations.

Thank you for wasting your time. I'm sorry.

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for wasting your time. I'm sorry.

LOL yeah a waste of like 30 sec.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    Website
    DISCORD
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're adding skill lines with powerful ultimates into the Crown Store. There's a huge difference between convenience and insta-obtaining abilities you should work for.
    I'm really sorry, but I find this disgusting and I was hoping the store wouldn't go down this path. Please tell me it's not going to get any worse than this?
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL yeah a waste of like 30 sec.

It's the same information that I found then that still doesn't definitively say when, how many at the same time etc. Just the general basic info. You're not doing anyone any favors, but your own ego at this point. I appreciate you attempting to help, but you didn't prove anything to me. Stop derailing this topic. Thank you.

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are people mad about ZOS making money?
    Do they not want ESO to thrive?
    Do they not want new content?

Mind boggling
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of many reasons why I choose to not subscribe and why I choose to not spend one penny in the crown store. The only money your company ever got from me was the initial cost of purchasing the game, and I bought this game a couple months ago at a good discount. I will NEVER subscribe, buy DLC, or buy anything in the crown store for various reasons. It is not because I personally cannot afford to do so, for I truly can afford to pay, it is out of principle that I will never subscribe or pay more money beyond the initial cost of the game.

Before I write further, I will be honest by saying that Zenimax and Bethesda have created a wonderful MMO for the Elder Scrolls series of games. The game itself has been truly fun for me despite the numerous bugs I have been subjected to on a daily basis. I cannot believe this game does not have an auction house (no, the guild trader concept is absolutely not an auction house, not even close), but that's a topic for another forum thread.

So I can clearly see that it's all about greed and nothing else. The true sense and meaning of gaming has been defeated by greedy gaming companies that want nothing but what's in your wallet. Of course, people reading this will say, "Well, duh, all companies want to make a profit. That's how they stay in business." I understand that but to blindly make such a statement without truly understanding what I'm really trying to convey would be moronic.

Pay-To-Win has done nothing but ruin the experience of gaming. When you hand everything on a silver platter, especially to so-called newbies, you take away the special quality of real gaming that seems to have been forgotten by all gaming companies today. What is real gaming? It's when a new player and all players actually work to achieve whatever it is they want by playing the game. Whether you are a solo, casual, group, or hardcore type of player, everyone should have to work to achieve something by playing the game, and not by paying real life money to the gaming company.

I disapprove of the free-to-play and pay-to-win concepts. The reader may now be wondering, "Why did you buy this game if you disapprove of free-to-play when Elder Scrolls Online (originally subscription based only) is now Tamriel Unlimited (free-to-play)?" Because I wanted to play a new Elder Scrolls game after I loved playing Skyrim and all predecessors in the series. But I do not appreciate what Elder Scrolls Online has become with this pay-to-win mentality that greedy gaming companies have turned to.

When the now dead (take a hint Zenimax) Star Wars Galaxies originally was released, the only way you could become a Jedi was by extensively playing the game. But then somehow Sony felt that it would be better to just let everyone be a Jedi, so they changed the game drastically to the point where they lost a majority of their subscribers in a short amount of time. Additionally, I admit that it was very difficult for most players to become a Jedi originally in SWG, but they could have just made it somewhat less difficult rather than just handing Jedi to everyone on a silver platter.

Then we have Blizzard's World of Warcraft. Even Activision/Blizzard has been greedy and has abandoned the "real gaming" concept that I mentioned earlier. With one of their more recent expansions, anyone could instantly turn one of their characters to maximum level (at the time). Forget about working to achieve maximum level, just pay us and we'll hand it to you on a silver platter.

I strongly believe that one day Zenimax will offer in the crown store the ability to purchase instant Veteran Rank (or level 50 or whatever maximum level will be if they remove Veteran Ranks). Mark my words, Zenimax will eventually do it because they only care about profit, they care little to nothing about real gaming. This is really sad.

Gamers of all types, new and veteran, young and old, whoever loves real gaming should definitely voice their concerns over what modern gaming has become. And we should do it louder than ever before. What a major slap in the face this is to all gamers who believe in only playing the game to achieve something.

Except selling bites isn't pay to win. It doesn't take anything away from the community.

It prevents scammets robbing newbies of their gold.

It prevents griefers camping spawn points to try and force their prices up.

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cool with it.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • brtomkin
    brtomkin
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how I feel about this... I don't think I have a problem with it. My only thing is that it lessens the value of the "adventure" of taking a low level character to the werewolf shrine and completing the quest. My first werewolf, a level 9, made a difficult journey on horseback across glenumbra, stormhaven, and bankorai to get to the shrine. I got a free bite and easily defeated a level 12 mammoth. My second werewolf ported into Bankorai at level 9, got another free bite and was quickly destroyed by a level 38 mammoth. I went back at level 10 with upgraded, crafted gear and took 10 minutes to barely beat a level 38 wamasu. So, any time I see another low level werewolf, I appreciate that player's accomplishment. Now, I will just assume any low level werewolf that I see just bought it from the store.

I will always continue to give away free bites to any random that happens to be at the shrine when I stop by, though.
    PS5 NA: Pickmans__Model, CP 2000+
  • SheepdogPaladin
    SheepdogPaladin
    ✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »
    Except selling bites isn't pay to win. It doesn't take anything away from the community.

It prevents scammets robbing newbies of their gold.

It prevents griefers camping spawn points to try and force their prices up.

You missed what I was really trying to convey. I tried hard to explain this carefully which is why my original reply post was long.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably be removed when Zenimax realizes it wont make them much money at all, that's like $10 of real life money, you would have to be quite dumb to pay that much for 1 bite seeing as people give them away for FREE like myself, now if it gave you 5 bites that would at least be something.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on December 3, 2015 10:07PM
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love it People can no Longer F*** people with bites for 50k or whatever the going price is
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arreyanne wrote: »
    I love it People can no Longer F*** people with bites for 50k or whatever the going price is

They were never that high at console launch. Highest I saw was 10k. It was the scamming that was running rampant, more than price. 50k though, really? What platform did you see this on?

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭

They were never that high at console launch. Highest I saw was 10k. It was the scamming that was running rampant, more than price. 50k though, really? What platform did you see this on?

On PC when the game was less than 90 days old it was anywhere from 25k upwards depending on the time of day
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    On PC when the game was less than 90 days old it was anywhere from 25k upwards depending on the time of day

Got ya. That makes more sense. I can't blame players for capitalizing on something in a game that was still so young. At any rate, if anyone is still inclined to charge and if anyone is still inclined to pay, on console, the cheapest I've see is 1,500g (just from my experience) at current date.

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just add undaunghted level 10 to crown store please zos then I never have to exit cyrodiil again :)
    Edited by ItsRejectz on December 3, 2015 11:05PM
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

• The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many problems with this it's unreal. Even from a business point of view, this wouldn't make sense. Why bring this forward a year after release on PC and nearly 5-6 months on Xbox One and PS4 when most people are vampire or werewolves and now give bites for free or cheaply when you could've done this at release when everyone was desperate for a bite and the profits would be higher? Even then, this still causes controversy as number one, it's something you can easily get for free anyway and two, it costs 1500 crowns, half of what Orsinium costs. Is there now a 'you can explore a new region' addition to this? Seriously, Zenimax, first you release an unpolished game with subscription fees and now you add cash grabs like this into the game? I'm disappointed.

This my friends is just a typical example of the abuse associated with adding micro transactions into triple A, £50 games. The addition of vampire and werewolf infections into the store is just a cash grab, plain and simple.

Read the last part of this post, 'Crown Store items are merely for convenience'. To whom I may ask, the player's, or the company's profit chart? Also, the 'you don't need to do the quest' just takes out the fun in learning the lore of the diseases.

I don't want to slag off the developers too much since I enjoy the game and I still have faith in its future, but this has gone far enough. Cosmetics I can understand (although there should be a free way of obtaining them in game), but this? This is just a cash grab. Does anyone remember me saying that term before? It must have been at least three times now. Just remember the term cash grab when you look at the vampire and werewolf infections in the crown store.

I'll be amazed if I don't get banned for this.
    Edited by The_Smilemeister on December 3, 2015 10:53PM
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the big deal? If you don't want to buy it, don't buy it! Its easy enough to get in game anyway....
    Edited by ItsRejectz on December 3, 2015 11:07PM
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

• The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the point, why spend real money to buy something you can easily get in game?

Besides,it's not a matter of whether or not I want to buy it, it's a matter of the fact that the developers are adding micro transactions which could break the integrity of the game. Ever heard of micro transactions? You know, those addons you get on those free to play, pay to win games on mobile that have begun to creep into main titles. Do you want them to ruin the game?
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coming soon: Mages and Fighters Guild rank ups

I am going to be actively looking to give out free bites when they're available now. Because this is just stupid.
    love is love