Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• niocwy
    niocwy
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no.

But fix some AoE (yeah you know what I'm tlking about), and test other methods for limiting AoE damage if it is really abused.

"Area" of effect should mean what it means!

On the flipside, don't forget siege weapons, which have no cap.
    Look at my profile picture. Visualize that muffin...smelling it...taking a bite...
    Are you hungry now ?
    Good.
  • Reiynn
    Reiynn
    ✭✭
    No
    AoE caps are artificial and annoying. This is a terrible change.
  • Smoop
    Smoop
    ✭✭
    No
    Quitting if this goes live.
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    No
    No, give me a radius, I mean there not gonna limit NPC AOEs to 6 players so why should mine be capped, they need to get out of my red circle haha
  • Varivox9
    Varivox9
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Krohm wrote: »
    No, give me a radius, I mean there not gonna limit NPC AOEs to 6 players so why should mine be capped, they need to get out of my red circle haha

Wait....you mean I'm NOT supposed to stand in the lava? THATS what I've been doing wrong! It all makes sense now! /sarcasm

I do agree though, AoE is useless if you don't stand in the giant red circle that tells you not to stand there...
  • Morhal
    Morhal
    Soul Shriven
    No
    No
    Just because AvA is very often big zergs and AoE keeps them at bay (same for AoE healing here).
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I can only think of a few times AoE can be really nasty. That is in a stairwell in a building. Where you have to run up and there is so much AoE everyone dies and no one can make it up. This is always a terrain problem though, not an AoE problem.
    Edited by valkaneer2b14_ESO on April 26, 2014 11:52PM
  • liunnos
    liunnos
    No

Then do it like DaoC. 100% damage at center and tapper it off the farther out you go.

I very much agree, seems a amicable solution to the problem.

agree too !
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Love the lack of replies from ZOS on this thread.
  • Suenaga
    Suenaga
    No
    Definitely, NO
    Rhaenys (Sorcerer of Aldmeri Dominion)
    Suenaga (Dragonknight of Aldmeri Dominion)
    Member of The Noore
  • Altros
    Altros
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I can understand where ZOS is coming from, there are some skills where the effect scales up as you hit more enemies. Leaving that in place would cause problems in mass PvP. I actually applaud ZOS for noticing this problem. However, they have gone about fixing it horribly wrong.

I shall make an appeal to logic to prove it. You have identified that the problem is the effect, the bonus, of the AoE as it hits more targets. As such, you have decided to cap the amount of players the AoE can hit. Odd, that. The problem was the bonus from the AoE, not the AoE itself. Why would you choose to cap the amount of players the AoE can hit instead of the amount of hits that count towards the bonus?

I have a feeling that it was probably easier to implement a sweeping change that caps the hits from an AoE than the effect itself for specific skills. If this is the case, ZOS, you don't get to charge 60 dollars (80 for imperial) and then a 15 dollar subscription fee to take the easy way out of a problem. Especially not when this easy fix has been tried in many other games and proven to give rise to "my group is bigger than yours, so I win" tactics.

If people feel that AoEs do too much damage to be allowed to hit everyone in their radius, then taper the damage as has been suggested. I personally feel that people should have to eat the damage if they decide to stand in the AoE instead of moving out of it but I welcome the more realism that tapering can offer.
  • Nex201
    Nex201
    No
    Haduis wrote: »
    I've made a few posts about this topic.

One thing I will say: vamp needs a nerf.

Why? The ultimate is fine. The ultimate cost reduction is not.
  • Taven
    Taven
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I vote no. Quit taking the easy way out and rework some abilities
  • Dinapuff
    Dinapuff
    No
    I vote no.

There are several ways to change aoe for the better of the game.

One way is a cost increase. Let the added damage to multiple target be a costly spell so that it cannot be spammed.

Another way is to make all aoe channeled, with telltale effects and a ramp up time on the damage to ensure fairness on the battlefield while not impacting pve too much.
  • Dorgon
    Dorgon
    No
    If I place a circle of fire on the ground anyone standing in it should burn, be it one guy or 30. I mean the whole point of an aoe is to 'not' stand in it yes?
    Jekhar Mokhan - Altmer Sorcerer of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Tamriel Fisherman's Guild
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JekharM/videos
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Was able to test and see what a few AoE's have cap and don't have caps

I wasn't able to test burning breath as I don't have it anymore, so someone will have to test it

But Burning Talons/Dragon Standard/Inhale don't have a cap, Cinder Does.

so basically 3 of the AoE's used to wipe zergs don't have a cap....so yea....

• wwraver
    wwraver
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Absolutely ridiculous. Stop taking the same *** way out as the other MMOs have. AoE caps with large scale PvP? Are you joking? Talk about being protected by the masses....
  • lordbok
    lordbok
    No
    Have you done Grotto.. You have to kill like 10 mudcrabs at a time. with AoE caps we will get wipes on mudcrabs, MUDCRABS I SAY!!

All seriousness, Zenimax, please look at the reddit responses and even this forum with the poll. It is clear your player base does NOT want AoE caps. Please do not do it.
  • Lane
    Lane
    Soul Shriven
    No
    One of the things I like about ESO is that it doesn't impose the same combat limitations other MMOs do. I find that refreshing and would prefer to see it remain that way.
  • gnostici
    gnostici
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Of course not. If there were an AoE cap, people might have to play the game instead of cheesing through everything in AoE groups.
  • joshralph21rwb17_ESO1
    No
    remove the cap or the game will be dead, don't kill you own game zennimax!!!!!
  • Mimiros
    Mimiros
    Soul Shriven
    No
    No.

If a change were to be made, the base damage should split between enemies.
  • dekkon2000b16_ESO
    No
    This is not a good change. No one wants stacking to be the best zerg tactic. It was stupid in GW2 and it will be stupid here. DO NOT take this change live.
  • xev7742
    xev7742
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I wish all the yes votes would bother educating themselves about what adding an AoE cap does to PvP - all you can do with an AoE cap is stack and zerg, crippling any semblance of tactics or strategy.
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Edited by RivenEsq on April 27, 2014 3:24AM
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • gnostici
    gnostici
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Why can't we have an AoE cap in PvE to stop the gold miners and cheesing content, but not in PvP? Why does it have to be either both or neither?
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    gnostici wrote: »
    Why can't we have an AoE cap in PvE to stop the gold miners and cheesing content, but not in PvP? Why does it have to be either both or neither?

AoE is used to kill many mobs at the same time, single target is used to nuke down just that, a single target. They each have their own purpose, which I see no problem with in PvE. They already nerfed loot rates at tons of places where you could grind mobs. They should worry about gold miners by banning them, not ruining the gameplay of everyone else to nerf a few people who were using AoE to kill a lot of mobs and get levels.

And the clear intent of these changes is to completely deface the PvP system in this game, and I will not stand idly by and let this game be ruined by a god awful balancing team.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    @RivenEsq
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I made a customer support thread asking how many people it takes crying out to get a response, a TRUTHFUL response:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/88528/how-many-is-enough?new=1

Bump it for exposure please.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    @RivenEsq
  • Kaisino
    Kaisino
    No
    Voted no to highlight that balance should never be voted or chosen by community. Thats the best way to make horrendous game.
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Kaisino wrote: »
    Voted no to highlight that balance should never be voted or chosen by community. Thats the best way to make horrendous game.

Oh wow, you're so cool. Did you bother to even see what this was about? It isn't about balance, it is about gutting the greatest thing about this PvP system.

They can nerf and change skills all they want, but when a blanket change to AoE gets made over a few OP AoE skills and then makes every skill suck equally so that stacking in massive groups the most efficient way to play, yeah, I think they should listen to the community.

I can play without a UI that shows everything. I can't play if the only way for me to PvP is to stack in a group of 100 and just stand in AoE laughing because it only hits 6 people.
    Edited by RivenEsq on April 27, 2014 2:41AM
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    @RivenEsq
This discussion has been closed.