Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Major issues with the game - by Angry Joe

• Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will say this, if this game goes free to play or starts with a bunch of micro transactions, I'll most likely find myself another game to play.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it yet but I'm not surprised. This game is getting lots of low reviews by pretty much everyone. The core of the game is fun but it has implemented so many things poorly.
  • Aisar
    Aisar
    ✭✭
    I will probably play the game for a bit when it goes F2P only for the exploration and lore. I knew straight away in beta that this game would be a pass for me, I didn't even make it past level 10. After playing as many MMOs as I have you just get that feeling, you know exactly what to look out for.

So sad and disappointed in this franchise and this game but immensely proud of myself for not buying into the hype and picking this thing up.

edit: drop the price to 19.99 and it would be a serious consideration for myself and I imagine many others who know exactly what they are getting into. Keep in mind this would be a cut and dry, taste and then drop, 30 day experience. No one is going to continue paying a sub for this game and it is certainly not worth it.
    Edited by Aisar on April 22, 2014 2:49PM
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review, he spoke out of my heart. I really hope the dev's will see the flaws and correct them.
  • Saihung423
    Saihung423
    ✭✭✭
    meh. I generally don't bank on reviews like this to make my decisions on games.

It isn't like a car or an appliance. Bugs at this stage in the game are expected imo, at least I expected them.

For gaming, I try to beta when possible, and when not possible...then I just try it out. For ftp games that is easy, others...well...you have to be relatively sure that you want to give it a chance.

Angry Joe's opinion is just that, an opinion. I agree with a bit, but I am not going to agree with his over the top judgement.

It's as fine a game as others in the genre at this stage of the release.
  • stylernaku
    stylernaku
    ✭✭✭
    He makes a few good points, and the rest of it is self fueling nerd rage from people who didn't want to buy the game anyways to watch to feel better about their decision.

This perhaps has been the most sense in a forum post for the whole site in the last few weeks.

There are a few gamers I know who really couldn't justify the monthly payments for the game for one reason or another. It's not that much but hey life gets in the way.

People who feel they are missing out will flock to videos like this, along with perhaps the Oculus rift, just to feel better, to feel that in fact they aren't missing out, and this big new shiny thing isn't so great after all.

When people have a video channel like Joe here they pretty much do a level of journalism almost like you see in tabloid new papers, they do a temperature check first, and then enforce an opinion they think will be popular.

His opinion on his video isn't as unique to himself, as he would have you believe. There's no business for him in going against the grain, you kids need to wise up to this before following these couch YouTube messiahs so closely.

You have YOUR OWN MIND use it. By god if someone online is dictating your indecision about a game, that's a sad affair no?
  • Bosmerdroid
    Bosmerdroid
    ✭✭
    I also agree with everything he said and don't really like the guy/find him annoying.

Bethesda/Zenimax at some point in developing the game were blinded by the dollar signs in front of their eyes.

Just think:

Arena was named so because it was supposed to be an Arena fighting game considering that is what the marketing men at Bethesda said would make the most money but the games developers at Bethesda being RPGers themselves, decided at the last minute to make an RPG..but the art work was already done and so they came up with Tamriel being known as "The Arena" by its citizens. This is all quite well known.

Then we had Daggerfall which was still in keeping with what RPGers wanted. Inbetween came Redguard and a few other smaller games. Then Morrowind which was the last real Elder Scrolls game.

Then BAM! something changed and the greed started to set in. I suppose it was the start of the consoles which made them think they could make a shed load of cash...and the rest is history. From sub-standard and shallow, but pretty, Oblivion to the ridiculous Skyrim where you could and were expected to join every guild and become GM in every one of them with a few simple quests. Yep, dumbed down for the masses because that would make them the most money. Well done..sold your soul to the devil.

After 20+ years I finally can say I'm done with this franchise. Thanks for letting me down Bethesda even though I was one of the few who supported you when you were being run out of a small rented office with 1 coffee machine...one of the few to buy your box of Daggerfall which I had to travel miles to find...the only one battered and dusty at the back of the shelf. Thanks for your loyalty.

The only way you can make it up is by making an RPG in the Morrowind mould, but I know you wont because your soul has been tainted (much like characters in Elder Scrolls games) with money. The worst of it is..you take us for idiots. Yeah, we would really not see through the cynical charging extra for the horse and Imperials and the sly way you implemented the shop? Elder Scrolls is dead..might as well find a new name for the franchise because it's now unrecognisable.

Well done.

edit: My point about Arena was, that if Bethesda went with their head (making money) and not their heart (making what they enjoyed doing i.e. an RPG) when they first started out as a small company, then Elder Scrolls would not even exist today. Yet after all these years..they have forgotten. Amnesia brought on by greed.
    Edited by Bosmerdroid on April 22, 2014 2:58PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all the "quit the game if you dont like it" comments.
    SWTOR fanboy's said the same things. People apparently listened,

And in the end the game was much better without them, apparently
  • Gunsang
    Gunsang
    ✭✭✭
    I think the lesson is... these reviewer are meant for entertainment, not factual value.

It's like taking a joke seriously. Someone is gonna get hurt--but at least it has some sort of small truth hidden somewhere.

The fact that some reviewers call these reviews "serious" based mostly on second hand information probably doesn't help either.
    Edited by Gunsang on April 22, 2014 3:02PM
    Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have. - Thomas Hildern
  • hrachiereb17_ESO
    he rants because people want to watch that kind of videos, that is all
  • Requiemslove
    Requiemslove
    ✭✭✭
    Angry Joe is right. He's obnoxious and a jerk, but he's right. He only skirts around all of the MAJOR issues I can think of which completely ruin the game, but he's still right. However of all the things he said, there is one thing I do not agree with. Close to the end of his review he said this game will not stand the test of time...I disagree. I say, it will stand the test of time if the game developers are worth their pay, and if not, well it is my fervent hope zenimax will get new and better devs in, if need be, and also, that Bethesda will DEMAND things improve if it all seems to be going the wrong way. But more than all that, I hope someone high up the chain, if not at the very top looks at ESO, then compares it to skyrim, as example, and makes it a mission to get the online game as close to that as its possible to get. Because this is where Angry Joe was MOST right. This game is not deserving of being held in the same light, and right now frankly, is an insult to anyone who spent £60 or whatever, got the subscription and the imperial package and all that jazz only to play a game where the graphics are not amazing, the grouping aspect has major phasing issues, and the content is...just not engaging enough. Not to mention all the gold-spammers and bots.

We demand more. You want me to pay £8 a month to have access to my £80 investment? you better make it AWESOME. Otherwise, like a lot of people, I will be out. Right now, the big issue that I can see [I can let most of the problems slide, and hope they get better in time] is actually the gold-spammers and bots. For me, I cant see myself paying for this sub after the end of June, if Zenimax have NOT got a firm grasp on the bot and gold spammer issues. Let me break this down. Take Skyrim, say you get the limited edition, and you get a guide with it, I paid £50, then take the downloadable content, that's another £25-£30 which is £80, compare that game, in all its magnificence to...this. The sums do not add up, and will not ever do so unless the devs make this mmo good enough even to get relatively close. Now I didn't really mean to rant like this, but one final thing. This mmo HAS to become the best MMO out there, the sub you pay, has to feel worth it. Because otherwise it is not worthy of the Elder Scrolls title. Still, there is one crumb of comfort, maybe the console experience will be superior?
    Edited by Requiemslove on April 22, 2014 3:03PM
  • dreildragb14_ESO
    It's like wrestling. You get a nick name and act the part. Well what kind of name would "AngryJoe" be if he dosent play an angry part in the show?
  • FezzikVizzini
    FezzikVizzini
    ✭✭✭
    This is the new player forum for helping new players not posting whines or angry joe links.

No, its the general discussion forum, as they can't actually manage to create a forum for actual general stuff so it all get's put here.

Yeah, I got a PC. I just don't feel the need to post it's specifications for an ego boost.
  • Bosmerdroid
    Bosmerdroid
    ✭✭
    Gunsang wrote: »
    I think the lesson is... these reviewer are meant for entertainment, not factual value.

It's like taking a joke seriously. Someone is gonna get hurt--but at least it has some sort of small truth hidden somewhere.

The fact that some reviewers call these reviews "serious" based mostly on second hand information probably doesn't help either.

RUBBISH. Second-hand information? Did you see the video? You can clearly see him playing the game. Also, I and others agree with EVERYTHING he said.

You remind me of the band on the Titanic...keep playing and pretend everything is going well whilst the ship is sinking and all around you people are fleeing.
  • Bosmerdroid
    Bosmerdroid
    ✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

But ultimately flopped...
  • FezzikVizzini
    FezzikVizzini
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thing needs to be deleted or moved to customer support. I don't see anything that would constructively help a new player other then some people trying to discourage the purchase of the game. Which, since this is the "new player" area, the game has already been purchased. Drivel.

This thread started out on the customer support forum ! It was forum moderators who moved it here in the 1st place. Obviously the thread should not be in new player area. But, as evidently its such a difficult thing to create a "general discussion" or "off topic" or whatever so threads like these end up here.

Yeah, I got a PC. I just don't feel the need to post it's specifications for an ego boost.
  • FezzikVizzini
    FezzikVizzini
    ✭✭✭
    soarra wrote: »
    hes a whiny self entitled a###### , who only likes f2p games. His audience is people under 20 and people who cant think for themselves.. his reviews are as good as ign's and we all know how bad that is.

Thank you so much for that enlightened and completely objective review.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with everything he said and don't really like the guy/find him annoying.

Bethesda/Zenimax at some point in developing the game were blinded by the dollar signs in front of their eyes.

Just think:

Arena was named so because it was supposed to be an Arena fighting game considering that is what the marketing men at Bethesda said would make the most money but the games developers at Bethesda being RPGers themselves, decided at the last minute to make an RPG..but the art work was already done and so they came up with Tamriel being known as "The Arena" by its citizens. This is all quite well known.

Then we had Daggerfall which was still in keeping with what RPGers wanted. Inbetween came Redguard and a few other smaller games. Then Morrowind which was the last real Elder Scrolls game.

Then BAM! something changed and the greed started to set in. I suppose it was the start of the consoles which made them think they could make a shed load of cash...and the rest is history. From sub-standard and shallow, but pretty, Oblivion to the ridiculous Skyrim where you could and were expected to join every guild and become GM in every one of them with a few simple quests. Yep, dumbed down for the masses because that would make them the most money. Well done..sold your soul to the devil.

After 20+ years I finally can say I'm done with this franchise. Thanks for letting me down Bethesda even though I was one of the few who supported you when you were being run out of a small rented office with 1 coffee machine...one of the few to buy your box of Daggerfall which I had to travel miles to find...the only one battered and dusty at the back of the shelf. Thanks for your loyalty.

The only way you can make it up is by making an RPG in the Morrowind mould, but I know you wont because your soul has been tainted (much like characters in Elder Scrolls games) with money. The worst of it is..you take us for idiots. Yeah, we would really not see through the cynical charging extra for the horse and Imperials and the sly way you implemented the shop? Elder Scrolls is dead..might as well find a new name for the franchise because it's now unrecognisable.

Well done.

edit: My point about Arena was, that if Bethesda went with their head (making money) and not their heart (making what they enjoyed doing i.e. an RPG) when they first started out as a small company, then Elder Scrolls would not even exist today. Yet after all these years..they have forgotten. Amnesia brought on by greed.
    If they went after the money we would not have ESO, we would had TES 6 and Fallout 4 already and TES 7 and Fallout 5 well underway, Battlefield or worse COD style.

ESO was started after they earned a lot of money on Oblivion. The obvious option would be an far larger team making elder scroll games faster, perhaps cut some corners to speed things up, having the same team make Elder scroll and Fallout makes no economical sense.

You don't do the very high risk investment of making an MMO.
    They did it to branch out with an new studio.

Your story after Arena don't make much sense, Daggerfall was very procedural and random, it was pretty much an giant MUD, everything outside part of main quest was random and level scaled, enemies, loot, shop items and quests.

Next game was Morrowind, almost every thing was hand placed except content in common containers and general monsters.
    In short it was a totally different game, far more different than dragon age 1 and 2.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • KariTR
    KariTR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If monster will drop too much gold when killed it would be full of boters for gold. look at diablo 3. I'm lvl49 and I've made well over 120k...

If mobs dropped enough gold that players could enjoy mounts and afford bag upgrades as and when their characters needed them, then gold-sellers would be out of business.

Then again, so too would Zenimax's online store ;) ...expect to see extra inventory and bank space being sold soon.

For the record, I couldn't disagree with AJ's general assessment but I still enjoy the game and will subscribe when my month is up. My distaste for cash stores and the botters they attract will never go away, but it won't stop me playing yet.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ENAK wrote: »
    Hi,

Joe's review of ESO is up (I'm sure others posted the link but here it is again, just for measure): Here...

The review shows what's wrong with the game... Seems most people agree, judging by the comments and thumbs up on the vid.

Also... Why is there no easily accessible open forum here?!? It's hidden somewhere in the category map - level 3 or 4 as if to discourage discussion or something...
    Um angry joe only makes videos that *** on games. Never once has made a positive review.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Joe's review of ESO is up (I'm sure others posted the link but here it is again, just for measure): Here...

The review shows what's wrong with the game... Seems most people agree, judging by the comments and thumbs up on the vid.

Also... Why is there no easily accessible open forum here?!? It's hidden somewhere in the category map - level 3 or 4 as if to discourage discussion or something...
    Um angry joe only makes videos that *** on games. Never once has made a positive review.

Wrong.

Go watch his Skyrim review.

He gives plenty of 10/10s.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    Hi,

Wrong.

Which shows how dumb he is, Skyrim is STILL way buggier than TESO
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But ultimately flopped...

Oh really? When was that? Last I heard they had 500K paying customers and double that free players. LOL what? Did Angry joe say it flopped ahahaha
    kids sitting in mom's basement, talking about economy
    amazing
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gunsang wrote: »

RUBBISH. Second-hand information? Did you see the video? You can clearly see him playing the game. Also, I and others agree with EVERYTHING he said.

You remind me of the band on the Titanic...keep playing and pretend everything is going well whilst the ship is sinking and all around you people are fleeing.

Yeah yeah, right... because you and a pair of forum whiners agree with a nerd, so must be true. keep on predicting doom and gloom, eventually you'll get it right with some game
  • drwoody44b14_ESO
    drwoody44b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Wrong.

Skyrim doesnt charge me $15 a month
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand this guy. He is such a stupid meathead, but in this case he is pretty much spot on. Cant believe i watch the whole thing. I usually cant get past 10 seconds of his videos.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Wrong.

Neither do TESO if you don't sub, right? So (apologies for not tracking ALL the whiners) what are you whining about? Just so I update my db
  • JJDrakken
    JJDrakken
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Wrong.

Neither do TESO if you don't sub, right? So (apologies for not tracking ALL the whiners) what are you whining about? Just so I update my db

But you can't play TESO anymore if you don't pay the 15. You can still play Skyrim.
    Leader of Oblivion Crisis. Bunch of Daedric Worshiping MF's. We'll Bang Ok.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJDrakken wrote: »
    Hi,

Wrong.

But you can't play TESO anymore if you don't pay the 15. You can still play Skyrim.

There it is the whole reason for the hate.....lol. Does this statement reveal anything?
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Wrong.

But teso fixes game stopping bugs within days, my wife still hasnt done some things in skyrim due to having to reset her game so many times due to bugs.