Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Major issues with the game - by Angry Joe

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »

Most of the *** fanboys are already here to def their belove game roflmao

Yeah but when they start in with the name calling and because I said so arguments, it gets really hilarious.

I love to watch em.

It's good to see that you don't try hiding the fact that you are just trolling, unlike the others LOL

I am not trolling.. The OP posted a legit review with legit claims/problems, which pretty much mirrors my experience in game and in come people, name calling and calling this Joe guy a liar and whatever..,. without offering anything other than saying... because I say so.

I ask said folks to show me the good reviews of the game that have any reasonable subscriber base and or, show me where this guy is bagging on the game without truth.

He backs his opinion up with actual game play.

I'm still waiting.

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • BulbousMeathead
    BulbousMeathead
    ✭✭✭
    "Never pay any attention to what critics say. Don’t forget there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

- Jean Sibelius, Finnish composer.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but when they start in with the name calling and because I said so arguments, it gets really hilarious.

I love to watch em.

It's good to see that you don't try hiding the fact that you are just trolling, unlike the others LOL

I am not trolling.. The OP posted a legit review with legit claims/problems, which pretty much mirrors my experience in game and in come people, name calling and calling this Joe guy a liar and whatever..,. without offering anything other than saying... because I say so.

I ask said folks to show me the good reviews of the game that have any reasonable subscriber base and or, show me where this guy is bagging on the game without truth.

I'm still waiting.

Joe the nerd who made a video saying how crap was the game, then made a video saying how good it was and now is back saying is crap

Ok, so someone who can't keep an opinion for more than a week

Why you care?
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

I love to watch em.

I'm still waiting.

Why you care?

Because everyone on my friends list has canceled subs and for two reasons.

1. Not being able to group.
    2. Bots clogging the dungeons.

That's why. I'm tired of people talking about how great this game will be once all the people with standards leave the game.

This is exactly the attitude that was in the forums at SWTOR. Look what that got them.

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly the attitude that was in the forums at SWTOR. Look what that got them.

Have to admit, I do remember that.

The cries of "if you don't like it, leave" .... people left .... a lot of people left.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

Cant you use google or YT? There are plenty of reviews that don't insult the company that made the game, the gamers that play it etc. Gopher as example, one of the most renown Skyrim modders.

As conclusion he said that the game is not a typical ESO single player, but for people that like MMO´s very well suited.

AJ didn't insult zenimax or the players (of which he is one). Pretty clear that eso is not as good as a SP game and also has major flaws as a mmo- only some of which AJ pointed out-there are more.
    I don't know how a review can have depth if all he says is "***, ***"? Maybe this is something only his non fans can see, but to me he does not say one thing that is actually an info about the game. Not knowing TESO I would still not have a clue what he actually tried to present in that video.

He did a lot more than swear- and he went into quite some depth about some of the annoying issues in the game off the top of my head- mass disconnects in pvp, long loading screens, pitiful and disappointing loot, inability to play with friends smoothly in pve quests, expensive mounts, paywalls in a game that already charges an arm and a leg compared to other games in the industry, public dungeons that kill immersion, mish-mash of quest quality. He also pointed out some good points- flexible combat and class system, well done pvp system etc. He backed up all his points with relevant gameplay videos- it was well done for an mmo review.
    This is wrong. MMO basics? What are MMO basics for you?

Tons of Raids that only 5% of the playerbase use?
    Ah´s that ruin any type of socializing?
    Flying mounts? Arena 2v2?
    Quest´s where you have to find 20 paws, while half of the wolfs don't have any?
    Pet battles!? DPS Meters?

Seriously name those MMO basics please and I am sure all of them are invalid. I play these type of games since more than 15 years and this is an MMO and a much better MMO than many of the past years and I don't qualify as an ESO fan boy.
    The basic part is the ability to play with your friends through the bulk of the game, to help them level, help them fight tough bosses etc. He spells it out pretty well with numerous in game video examples of where questing with friends was frustrating.
    Why cant you? Oh right, you will now tell me that you get less xp... oh dear, what a lucky friend you must have if you dump him for receiving more xp. :(

See above- but this indicates that you did not even watch the review- a large portion of which dealt with his difficulties and frustrations in playing with his friends. It is a criticism that has been levelled at the game since beta, from a variety of people/reviewers.

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yasha wrote: »
    Audigy wrote: »

Cant you use google or YT? There are plenty of reviews that don't insult the company that made the game, the gamers that play it etc. Gopher as example, one of the most renown Skyrim modders.

As conclusion he said that the game is not a typical ESO single player, but for people that like MMO´s very well suited.

AJ didn't insult zenimax or the players (of which he is one). Pretty clear that eso is not as good as a SP game and also has major flaws as a mmo- only some of which AJ pointed out-there are more.
    I don't know how a review can have depth if all he says is "***, ***"? Maybe this is something only his non fans can see, but to me he does not say one thing that is actually an info about the game. Not knowing TESO I would still not have a clue what he actually tried to present in that video.

He did a lot more than swear- and he went into quite some depth about some of the annoying issues in the game off the top of my head- mass disconnects in pvp, long loading screens, pitiful and disappointing loot, inability to play with friends smoothly in pve quests, expensive mounts, paywalls in a game that already charges an arm and a leg compared to other games in the industry, public dungeons that kill immersion, mish-mash of quest quality. He also pointed out some good points- flexible combat and class system, well done pvp system etc. He backed up all his points with relevant gameplay videos- it was well done for an mmo review.
    This is wrong. MMO basics? What are MMO basics for you?

Tons of Raids that only 5% of the playerbase use?
    Ah´s that ruin any type of socializing?
    Flying mounts? Arena 2v2?
    Quest´s where you have to find 20 paws, while half of the wolfs don't have any?
    Pet battles!? DPS Meters?

Seriously name those MMO basics please and I am sure all of them are invalid. I play these type of games since more than 15 years and this is an MMO and a much better MMO than many of the past years and I don't qualify as an ESO fan boy.
    The basic part is the ability to play with your friends through the bulk of the game, to help them level, help them fight tough bosses etc. He spells it out pretty well with numerous in game video examples of where questing with friends was frustrating.
    Why cant you? Oh right, you will now tell me that you get less xp... oh dear, what a lucky friend you must have if you dump him for receiving more xp. :(

See above- but this indicates that you did not even watch the review- a large portion of which dealt with his difficulties and frustrations in playing with his friends. It is a criticism that has been levelled at the game since beta, from a variety of people/reviewers.

+1 agree

Most bashers have not actually watched the video.

I suggest you all watch and just skip to minute 21 and watch for 4 minutes until he asks you the real question of this forum..

Who defends this?

The botting and terrible grouping is game breaking.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to watch em.

I'm still waiting.

Why you care?

That's why. I'm tired of people talking about how great this game will be once all the people with standards leave the game.

Ok. So you gonna quit when the free month is over? Because right now you are being as useful as a broken toe:whining with no constructive intent and trying to start flame 'wars' with 'fanbois' IS trolling

PS I know a couple dozen MMOs who'd like to 'fail' like TOR
    Please just go trolling some other game
    Edited by mutharex on April 23, 2014 9:30AM
  • LarZen
    LarZen
    ✭✭✭
    If anything this thread have proven that the community in ESO is no better then any other mmo. So much (something that smells bad) in this thread by people on high horses that have tunnel vision.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

I love to watch em.

I'm still waiting.

Why you care?

Ok. So you gonna quit when the free month is over? Because right now you are being as useful as a broken toe:whining with no constructive intent and trying to start flame 'wars' with 'fanbois' IS trolling

Uh... not this game. Maybe some small budget games out there, but not this game.

Stop calling people that are discussing the thread topic as trolls. It's the last resort of somebody that can't make a good point.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to watch em.

I'm still waiting.

Why you care?

I love to watch em.

I'm still waiting.

Why you care?

Uh... not this game. Maybe some small budget games out there, but not this game.

Stop calling people that are discussing the thread topic as trolls. It's the last resort of somebody that can't make a good point.

But you aren't discussing anything constructive, are you? Or the others who talk about "*** fanbois", "defending the game" and all the other tropes that trolls usually use. Your discussion only aims at screaming at devs and anyone who disagrees, uses as base a video from some moron who already flip flopped twice about this game and really doesn't add anything. It's not a question of opinions, it's a question of starting flame threads to try and rile up people

I find it sad and please, stop. Wanna talk about you think are the game problems? Ok, but try not to do it in such a blatant trollish way
  • Luciana
    Luciana
    ✭✭
    Luciana wrote: »
    And it is worth noting again that indeed, Angry Joe is generally not an MMORPG player, I think he's even said so at times, the ''MMO's'' he does play are generally games like Smite and Infinite Crisis or other lobby based MOBA like games.

If I were to find out he has max level characters in MMORPG's he has reviewed, like Tera Online and SWTOR, I'd be surprised.

Why does it even matter that he does not have a capped character in an mmo when he reviews it? Does it take away from the things that he does see, for good or bad? No, it does not. Here it is almost like you are saying a reviewer has no right to make a review without getting as high as you can. Its not like the combat [something he did big up and liked] in this game is the same as most mmos, it is not, and I hope they stick to that. Just because he only had a lv 20ish character does not mean his review of the content he has seen is skewed. You don't need to go all the way in a mmo to have a good idea of exactly what its like. In the mmo's I have played you can get a good understanding of an mmo before you reach lv 50. [if it goes that high] After watching the review all the way through what strikes me most is how much he stressed about the grouping mechanics in this game. He is ABSOLUTELY spot on. He is right about the phasing, right about the grouping issues, right about his group members having to kill a boss again because...for some reason despite attacking it they missed out on the group kill...then had to go it alone. One of the fundamental rules of any mmo is that you can do things as a team. At the moment, other than when in a group dungeon...you cant really, in this. He was also right about a lot of the other things he said. This game does need direction, and at this early stage faces an identity crises. So what is it to be, make an mmo that tries to get as close to the single player games as possible? Or make an mmo that is more a standard mmo with a homage to those titles? Personally what I want to see...like Skyrim...with friends. This is what every ES player wants. And this is what any player who has never played the ES games who is checking this out as a new mmo, should expect.

Ehh, you do realize I agree with just about all the points made by Joe, right?

His points about ESO are valid, though I do believe most of them are points Zenimax will address and resolve, like the grouping, Joe has stated in the past I believe that his reviews are off the game's state at release, personally I'd like to see what Joe thinks of ESO in a year, if ESO lasts that long off course.

On the other hand, I cannot deny that he has some.. ignorant points as well, things like ''no crime, no thieves guild'', pretty much his first complaint, these were things already announced to be coming, he could have mentioned that at least, assuming he did the research to find out that both crime and the thieves guild are underway.

As for the capped characters, I said nothing about how he can't judge because he has no capped characters, all I said is that he generally is not an MMORPG player and that he likely does not have any capped characters in Tera Online and SWTOR, games he tried and, might I add, was positive about despite, from what I can see, not having done any formal ''Angry Review'' for either.
    Edited by Luciana on April 23, 2014 10:16AM
    EU Megaserver
    [MAIN] Luciana - Imperial - Dragon Knight - Aldmeri Dominion
    [ALT] Arrenhe - Altmer - Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Shorty75
    Shorty75
    I like Angry Joe's reviews. Most of them are quite entertaining. And I agree with some of the points he brings up.

"...questing (share quests) in a group does not work at all..."
    True. Doing a quest while I can see other players but NOT my group members because they "phased out" is totally stupid.

"...quests are broken (bugs)..."
    True. But the game is not out for very long, so I still have hope.
    Most issues can be solved by logging out and in again, which is still annoying though.

"...you have to pay an extra fee to play as an imperial..."
    True. That is NOT cool Zenimax.

On the other hand some things he says do not make sense to me:

"...world feels empty and lifeless..."
    He must have played a totally different game than me. There are soo many details in this world. It doesnt feel lifeless at all. There is a post somewhere in this forum where people write about cool stuff they found in this world.

"...you have to kill 17000 skeletons to buy the cheapest horse..."
    Yes you could certainly do that OR you could do quests, sell loot, craft items and sell them, which, by the way, would be far more efficient an less boring.

So he does not like this game. So be it. For me it's the best mmo experience I had in a long time. But there is much room for improvements.
    So is this game worth a monthly subscription? Only time will tell...

Oh. To the folks saying "this game is crap because AJ says so...he knows his stuff.. has so many views on YT...". C'mon people, grow up. Use that thing between your ears (brain). He is ONE reviewer among many. And he is not the pope.

Enjoy the game, and if not, find another one you enjoy.
    Edited by Shorty75 on April 23, 2014 1:12PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ""...world feels empty and lifeless..."
    He must have played a totally different game than me. There are soo many details in this world. It doesnt feel lifeless at all. There is a post somewhere in this forum where people write about cool stuff they found in this world."

When I see that particular argument, I automatically tune out and ignore the post: the poster is either trolling, he hasn't played the game or, dunno, he is blind?
    Edited by mutharex on April 23, 2014 11:15AM
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    Shorty75 wrote: »
    Yes you could certainly do that OR you could do quests, sell loot, craft items and sell them, which, by the way, would be far more efficient an less boring.

I'm not sure how far Angry Joe got (has he made VR?) - but that bit was certainly wrong:
    - AFAIR it wasn't hard to have 17k by ~level 20. Don't deconstruct everything... just stick to a couple of tradeskills and sell the rest.
    - the "good" horse isn't actually much better than the basic horse. It's more 'efficient' to buy the bigger horse, but certainly not essential.
    - if you want to travel faster in PvP then group up and use the assault speed buff. (if you've ever escorted a scroll...)
    - by V1, you should easily have enough cash to buy the expensive horse, I'm not sure why he thinks it's a huge amount of cash.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumbo wrote: »
    Shorty75 wrote: »

I'm not sure how far Angry Joe got (has he made VR?) - but that bit was certainly wrong:
    - AFAIR it wasn't hard to have 17k by ~level 20. Don't deconstruct everything... just stick to a couple of tradeskills and sell the rest.
    - the "good" horse isn't actually much better than the basic horse. It's more 'efficient' to buy the bigger horse, but certainly not essential.
    - if you want to travel faster in PvP then group up and use the assault speed buff. (if you've ever escorted a scroll...)
    - by V1, you should easily have enough cash to buy the expensive horse, I'm not sure why he thinks it's a huge amount of cash.

Apparently he was lvl 19 last week end....... troll material at its best
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumbo wrote: »

Level 19.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    He must have played a totally different game than me. There are soo many details in this world. It doesnt feel lifeless at all. There is a post somewhere in this forum where people write about cool stuff they found in this world."

When I see that particular argument, I automatically tune out and ignore the post: the poster is either trolling, he hasn't played the game or, dunno, he is blind?

True, compared to other mmos, eso feels quite vibrant and alive to me.

The trouble is that anyone who has played skyrim will tend to compare it to that, even if they don't mean to.

Even though I agree with most of AJ's review, what I see is a game that brings the depth of a SP game to an mmo. Despite what AJ says, there are few mmos that are more visually appealing. It has some boring quests and areas that need a bit more love, and I think the public dungeon system just doesn't work.

ESO is walking a tightrope between brilliantly meshing SP and mmo gameplay, and failing to be good at either.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The trouble is that anyone who has played skyrim will tend to compare it to that, even if they don't mean to.

Even though I agree with most of AJ's review, what I see is a game that brings the depth of a SP game to an mmo. Despite what AJ says, there are few mmos that are more visually appealing. It has some boring quests and areas that need a bit more love, and I think the public dungeon system just doesn't work.

ESO is walking a tightrope between brilliantly meshing SP and mmo gameplay, and failing to be good at either.

I don't agree with your assessment but no surprise there, people have different tastes and expectations. TESO to me feels like a great funny game, maybe if I had the expectations of seeing something on the level of Oblivion or Morrowind (Skyrim is not a good TES game) I'd be feeling like you. But I don't.

And honestly, if people turn into this kinda tourette-addled rabble because a few bugs, better if they leave, they usually do anyway and games go on fine without freemonthers (thanks for the box price guys!) or people who want every game to be identical. Honestly, can't wait till people start to do what they say. And before the usual troll comment on F2P blah blah, the game will do just fine with his fanbase EXACTLY like FFXIV...
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have to agree with AJ, that is, grouping with a friend to quest is the worse I have ever played in any game. It need a to do a much better job if they want people to explore Tamriel together.
    Edited by siuolly on April 23, 2014 11:58AM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    siuolly wrote: »
    One thing I have to agree with AJ, that is, grouping with a friend to quest is the worse I have ever played in any game. It need a to do a much better job if they want people to explore Tamriel together.

Is this still 'problematic' after level 15-20?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LarZen wrote: »
    If anything this thread have proven that the community in ESO is no better then any other mmo. So much (something that smells bad) in this thread by people on high horses that have tunnel vision.

Pretty much this, recommend renaming this tread to the official troll tread.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    LarZen wrote: »

Pretty much this, recommend renaming this tread to the official troll tread.

The Official Angry Troll Thread
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't agree with your assessment but no surprise there, people have different tastes and expectations. TESO to me feels like a great funny game, maybe if I had the expectations of seeing something on the level of Oblivion or Morrowind (Skyrim is not a good TES game) I'd be feeling like you. But I don't.

I think the game is great and a lot of fun as well, what part of my assessment don't you agree with?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the game is great and a lot of fun as well, what part of my assessment don't you agree with?

This part?

"Despite what AJ says, there are few mmos that are more visually appealing. It has some boring quests and areas that need a bit more love, and I think the public dungeon system just doesn't work.

ESO is walking a tightrope between brilliantly meshing SP and mmo gameplay, and failing to be good at either."

Except the Public Dungeons, as I haven't really spent much time in them and can't comment
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Always the same a minority give a bad reputation of something
    Yes there are bot and it is very irritating
    Yes levelling is not build for group
    Yes there is bug in TESO

But TESO is not resumed by that.
    When ppl will understand that solo levelling is a choice from Zeni as a recall of the previous TES and that the most part of mmo player are levelling solo in every mmo.
    The end game content will be designed for group the first part will be craiglorn
    Cyrodill is so much group firendly ....

But there is still the bot problem and it's still very irritating
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

This part?

"Despite what AJ says, there are few mmos that are more visually appealing. It has some boring quests and areas that need a bit more love, and I think the public dungeon system just doesn't work.

ESO is walking a tightrope between brilliantly meshing SP and mmo gameplay, and failing to be good at either."

Except the Public Dungeons, as I haven't really spent much time in them and can't comment

Hmmm, not sure if I communicated my meaning correctly.

You don't think some of the quests are a bit boring?

Are there not times when you think this game is absolutely brilliant, especially when it hits that sweet spot of great combat and deep interesting quests/exploration like in a SP game?

Have you not felt at other times somewhat let down for example if you have difficulty grouping with others (mmo-type issue)?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    siuolly wrote: »

Is this still 'problematic' after level 15-20?
    Should expect so, at least with some phased quests, other will work better.
    Yes the game should be more cooperative with questing in group, you will still get issues if out of sync then doing the quest but if grouped and together the quest should keep the phasing with group.

If you quest solo you will not run into this problem so most don't face it.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Yasha, I don't, because I don't play it like quest grinder. I spend my time exploring or even just 'living' in the virtual world. So no, I disagree.

I don't play it with friends so I usually group with strangers and I never had problems grouping up. Sorry
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    What more do you people want from a game? It's a game, not a second life. If I lived my life based on other people told me what to do or buy, I woudnt be doing much. Angry Joe is no ones friend, so I dont know why people kiss his ass. This game is great, it just came out. Give it some time. You guys want a polished 10 year old version of this game right now? It wont happen, it takes "say it with me" TIME. Relax and enjoy the game. It's no ones fault but your own if you try and speed level your way to the top and have to wait for the game to catch up. If you are complaining about money, then get a job, or a better job. Sixty dollars for a game and 15 a month is nothing compared to what people normally waste. Again, it's no ones fault but yours if you cant manage your money enough to afford a game. Grow up already with the 15 a month complaints!
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.