Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Major issues with the game - by Angry Joe

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »
    Jake71887 wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »
    But why is it such an issue for him to just walk until he can afford a horse?

There is literally a way point like every few inches on the map. Is that how lazy this new generation of gamers have really become, that they can't be bothered to walk for a few minutes to complete a quest?

I like convenience too. But I draw the line at expecting games to pick me up and carry me around to finish my quests. Especially on what is suppose to be an adventure game.

The wayshrines don't really cut down on your walk time that much, unless you're willing to pay the fee, instead of walking to a shrine to tele to the next. And in Cyrodiil it is horrendous having to walk... Even just from one keep to another takes forever.

hate to see how you would have coped playing a real game like EQ or DAoC, there are far too many quick travel options in this game as it is.

Back then no one knew better. That's like saying 18th century people were bummed because they knew what we in the 21st have ;)

To be honest, I miss the old school days when traveling afoot felt like actual journeys. And I do think the emphasis on quick travel options have cheapened the MMORPG genre as a whole.

I will admit the long journeys of older games could get tedious at times. But I feel there were better ways to address this problem rather than just let the player skip them outright.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 23, 2014 1:17AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't actually start playing MMO's till SWG (post nge) so I really can't speak to that, but I can say that I rarely use my horse when I'm out adventuring. I'm too afraid I'll miss that node, chest or easter egg tucked into that little nook over there.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't actually start playing MMO's till SWG (post nge) so I really can't speak to that, but I can say that I rarely use my horse when I'm out adventuring. I'm too afraid I'll miss that node, chest or easter egg tucked into that little nook over there.

I'm the same way.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leesha wrote: »
    It will never cease to amaze me how many people act like sheep when it comes to the video game industry. This "Angry Joe" person is completely irrelevant and his opinion only matters to the people who choose to mindlessly follow what someone else says. Form your own opinions, it's ok. You don't need some loud mouth insecure guy to validate them for you.

If he really wants to impress anyone with his opinions, he should shut his mouth and make a successful mmo.

worthless
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starting this so called ''review'' from complaining about ''no player housing no crime no thieves guild'' shows how crap hes ''reviewing skills'' are. If he cant even bother to find information that those features will be added to game soon, its really enough.
    Another jerk mad because its not wow clone...Seen them already, and there will be more.
    Nothing to see, move on.
  • neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    ENAK wrote: »
    The review shows what's wrong with the game... Seems most people agree, judging by the comments and thumbs up on the vid.

Angry Joe is no an MMO player. And the people who thumbed up aren't either.

Weird, I am an MMO player and still agree on a lot of points with him. Others I dont care about. This is an MMO ...immersion breaking? My ass ...I play quests like this: press E, spam 1, follow arrow on map. Repeat. I dont need the story because it is an mmo. I simply dont care.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    The review shows what's wrong with the game... Seems most people agree, judging by the comments and thumbs up on the vid.

Weird, I am an MMO player and still agree on a lot of points with him. Others I dont care about. This is an MMO ...immersion breaking? My ass ...I play quests like this: press E, spam 1, follow arrow on map. Repeat. I dont need the story because it is an mmo. I simply dont care.

Yup
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭

Yup

Which is one of the issues with the design of the game. Most (not all, but most) MMO players don't care much about immersion, because MMOs are per se not immersive in general because of the presence of thousands of other players with non-immersive names, doing non-immersive things, and saying non-immersive things. It's about as immersive as the check out line at the grocery store, really. Immersion is mostly a backdrop, and mostly people play with friends or even solo just to level and get past content so that they can advance. Basing a game around immersion and story in an MMO is always placing a big bet on a very niche market, really.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mortuum wrote: »
    Starting this so called ''review'' from complaining about ''no player housing no crime no thieves guild'' shows how crap hes ''reviewing skills'' are. If he cant even bother to find information that those features will be added to game soon, its really enough.
    Another jerk mad because its not wow clone...Seen them already, and there will be more.
    Nothing to see, move on.

Talk about crap.

Those points you bring up were very minor points in his review and were part of a bigger point about the game not even being ES, let alone a good mmo. He was saying if you expect to see typical ES stuff in the game, don't bother.

His review was for the most part about the actual flaws in gameplay.

The terrible grouping situation
    the terrible botting situation

He actually gave good marks to pvp when it works.

All these sad people crying about Joe and not even putting anything up but typical non arguments to back it up.

350k views now and still waiting for somebody to point us to the good reviews of this game, outside beta or ridiculous game mag type reviews.

• Finagill
    Finagill
    I have to agree with many of the points Angry Joe brought up. ESO was not designed to be a true MMO. Grouping and working with groups is horrible.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the imperial edition and still saved up and bought the 42k black horse. Horses are luxury items, not a necessity. Heaven forbid they make players save up.
    [DC/NA]
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    I had completely disagreed with his original beta assessment video, and I fully expected to disagree with this one. unfortunately, much of what he said is accurate. It is even better that he backed most of it up with video footage. There are some serious issues that need to be addressed if this game is going o succeed.

I still completely disagree with his expectations that an MMO should be anything like a single player RPG. It seems to indicate a lack of understanding of how MMO's work in comparison. Still, you can't deny most of the other issues.

• Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    TicToc wrote: »
    I still completely disagree with his expectations that an MMO should be anything like a single player RPG. It seems to indicate a lack of understanding of how MMO's work in comparison. Still, you can't deny most of the other issues.

I'm not so sure that was his point. What I got from it was that while he wanted the MMO to be like the SP, this game shows that it can't be done.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like this game and enjoy playing it, but Angry Joe accurately pointed out many of the games flaws- he could have listed even more but I think he was trying to be gentle.

As for the people that write him off saying he made factual mistakes and is only a low level- his point is that you have to pay extra to unlock the game's full content and that a horse is a big deal especially in pvp, and very expensive to buy with in game cash. He is completely correct that those are fairly substantial issues. I definitely felt compelled to buy the imperial edition for the horse, also very nice to able to transmute gear into the imperial style.

• joanjett
    joanjett
    ✭✭✭
    He had a few good points and a few bad ones.....but most of the people that agree with him
    did not play the game and want it to fail and go f2p so they can play it.
    But i really don't care what he and others think cause i like it and that's what counts! >:)
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Joe's review of ESO is up

So much distortion and dishonesty with his review, but then that is typical of all his videos.

It is as if he purposely is trying to post up misleading / fake reviews to generate views.

Hmm, wonder why he'd do that?

Edited by cliveklgb14_ESO on April 23, 2014 4:33AM
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure that was his point. What I got from it was that while he wanted the MMO to be like the SP, this game shows that it can't be done.

This game doesn't show that at all. That would assume that they were trying to make it like the SP games, and failed, but they were not trying to make it like the SP games. It's just an MMORPG set in the TES universe, though they have tried to capture much of the feel.

No MMO can play like a SP game, this one or any other. He acknowledges that at one point, but still complains about things that are inherent in the nature of MMO's. That really doesn't take away from his other points that were valid complaints.
  • gazzboydeb17_ESO
    I've watched many an Angry Joe video and found a lot of them to be highly entertaining - but in this, he just sounds and looks.....very tired. Beaten down like he hasn't slept.
    And the in-game footage of him and some girl playing and just constantly whining and complaining, they both just sound drunk (consistently slurring words) and very very tired.
    Yes the game definitely has issues, but to conduct a review in (what definitely sounds like) a bored, tired or drunken stupor is extremely unprofessional and will of course lead to an inaccurate portrayal of the game.

There is no energy in this review whatsoever, unlike his other videos. It just looks as if he honestly could not be bothered and/or just had no patience to properly review an MMO.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    Many people in this thread asked for people to post positive links. No one ever has.

As for AJ, he gave it a great review in beta, and Skyrim V. His review regardless if you like it or not was really one of most n depth reviews to date. HE not only wrote an article, but he backed up, good or bad his claims in videos people could see.

I think most people who play this game don't understand what a MMO is vs a single player game. Most the single player game crowd think everything is ok excluding bots. The MMO crowd feels many basics are missing. AJ was more a MMO crowd.

And if you can't play with your friend, it does not qualify as a MMO in my book and many other peoples.

BTW, AJ stood up for this game when the developer showed this off in beta at some convention. When no first person view, horrible graphics and the people just shooting arrows on stage. That's when the company announced overhaul of graphics and first person.

But again AJ stood up for it. The company just took some bad turns from then to now.

Elder scrolls had seen FFXIV flop and remake itself. issues with parties, AH, and many basic things that ESO has now. They should of learned.

Being lvl 40 or 50 and not making any friends along the way or not knowing a guildemate by that time is pretty sad for a MMO game.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Many people in this thread asked for people to post positive links. No one ever has.

Cant you use google or YT? There are plenty of reviews that don't insult the company that made the game, the gamers that play it etc. Gopher as example, one of the most renown Skyrim modders.

As conclusion he said that the game is not a typical ESO single player, but for people that like MMO´s very well suited.
    His review regardless if you like it or not was really one of most n depth reviews to date. HE not only wrote an article, but he backed up, good or bad his claims in videos people could see.

I don't know how a review can have depth if all he says is "***, ***"? Maybe this is something only his non fans can see, but to me he does not say one thing that is actually an info about the game. Not knowing TESO I would still not have a clue what he actually tried to present in that video.
    I think most people who play this game don't understand what a MMO is vs a single player game. Most the single player game crowd think everything is ok excluding bots. The MMO crowd feels many basics are missing. AJ was more a MMO crowd.

This is wrong. MMO basics? What are MMO basics for you?

Tons of Raids that only 5% of the playerbase use?
    Ah´s that ruin any type of socializing?
    Flying mounts? Arena 2v2?
    Quest´s where you have to find 20 paws, while half of the wolfs don't have any?
    Pet battles!? DPS Meters?

Seriously name those MMO basics please and I am sure all of them are invalid. I play these type of games since more than 15 years and this is an MMO and a much better MMO than many of the past years and I don't qualify as an ESO fan boy.
    And if you can't play with your friend, it does not qualify as a MMO in my book and many other peoples.

Why cant you? Oh right, you will now tell me that you get less xp... oh dear, what a lucky friend you must have if you dump him for receiving more xp. :(
    Being lvl 40 or 50 and not making any friends along the way or not knowing a guildemate by that time is pretty sad for a MMO game.

Is it the fault of Teso that you for some reason don't socialize? I mean this is only your fault, or are you going to tell me now that socializing is having a DPS meter and Gearscore and then you select your friends from those statistics?

Why don't you talk to your guild members? Why don't you quest with them or do dungeons? Its all there, if you don't use the tools you have then why blame the game?

I would be quite happy to have one or two like minded players with me. Who cares if I get less xp or might have to share the loot. This is what real MMO players do, we share and play together and don't care about our own wealth.

So just get out there and play, talk to people and use your guild. Maybe make a thread here at the forum where you look for like minded players. I am sure there are a few who would like to group up.
  • Luciana
    Luciana
    ✭✭
    I've watched many an Angry Joe video and found a lot of them to be highly entertaining - but in this, he just sounds and looks.....very tired. Beaten down like he hasn't slept.
    And the in-game footage of him and some girl playing and just constantly whining and complaining, they both just sound drunk (consistently slurring words) and very very tired.
    Yes the game definitely has issues, but to conduct a review in (what definitely sounds like) a bored, tired or drunken stupor is extremely unprofessional and will of course lead to an inaccurate portrayal of the game.

There is no energy in this review whatsoever, unlike his other videos. It just looks as if he honestly could not be bothered and/or just had no patience to properly review an MMO.

I'm pretty sure he and ''Megamanda'' were drunk, because they sound pretty much the same as in his streams, and in his streams he can often be seen sipping from a bottle with what I can only conclude is beer or something else with alcohol.

And it is worth noting again that indeed, Angry Joe is generally not an MMORPG player, I think he's even said so at times, the ''MMO's'' he does play are generally games like Smite and Infinite Crisis or other lobby based MOBA like games.

If I were to find out he has max level characters in MMORPG's he has reviewed, like Tera Online and SWTOR, I'd be surprised.

None of what I say above detracts from his very valid points, and I do think his review is fair for his doing, but it is something to remember nonetheless.
    Edited by Luciana on April 23, 2014 5:36AM
    EU Megaserver
    [MAIN] Luciana - Imperial - Dragon Knight - Aldmeri Dominion
    [ALT] Arrenhe - Altmer - Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

I don't know how a review can have depth if all he says is "***, ***"? Maybe this is something only his non fans can see, but to me he does not say one thing that is actually an info about the game. Not knowing TESO I would still not have a clue what he actually tried to present in that video.

Really? He swore a couple of times and that distracted you so much that you couldn't focus on anything else that he said? That is pretty sad. It also explains the rest of your post. You clearly didn't have a clue of what he presented in the video.

Why cant you? Oh right, you will now tell me that you get less xp... oh dear, what a lucky friend you must have if you dump him for receiving more xp. :(

Did you even watch the video, or read the forums or zone chat...or maybe play the game? It has absolutely nothing to do with XP. It is because each person has to complete the quests separately, even when grouped. That means that you cannot help a friend who is working on a quest that you have already completed, and they cannot help you. The game also will switch grouped players into different phases so that you can't even see each other, just the triangle over their heads.

Arguing a point when you don't even know what the point is just makes you look foolish.

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not one person crapping on the review has pointed to his problems with the game and shown where he is wrong.

It's all just name calling and because I said so comments/arguments. The argument of the small minded.

Still waiting for a link to a positive video review with actual game play to back it up by somebody with actual viewers.

His valid points are backed up with in game video proof and it's the same junk problems that everyone sees.

426,000 views so far.

• ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    worthless

That describes WhinyJoe in a nutshell, yes.
  • Requiemslove
    Requiemslove
    ✭✭✭
    Luciana wrote: »
    And it is worth noting again that indeed, Angry Joe is generally not an MMORPG player, I think he's even said so at times, the ''MMO's'' he does play are generally games like Smite and Infinite Crisis or other lobby based MOBA like games.

If I were to find out he has max level characters in MMORPG's he has reviewed, like Tera Online and SWTOR, I'd be surprised.

Why does it even matter that he does not have a capped character in an mmo when he reviews it? Does it take away from the things that he does see, for good or bad? No, it does not. Here it is almost like you are saying a reviewer has no right to make a review without getting as high as you can. Its not like the combat [something he did big up and liked] in this game is the same as most mmos, it is not, and I hope they stick to that. Just because he only had a lv 20ish character does not mean his review of the content he has seen is skewed. You don't need to go all the way in a mmo to have a good idea of exactly what its like. In the mmo's I have played you can get a good understanding of an mmo before you reach lv 50. [if it goes that high] After watching the review all the way through what strikes me most is how much he stressed about the grouping mechanics in this game. He is ABSOLUTELY spot on. He is right about the phasing, right about the grouping issues, right about his group members having to kill a boss again because...for some reason despite attacking it they missed out on the group kill...then had to go it alone. One of the fundamental rules of any mmo is that you can do things as a team. At the moment, other than when in a group dungeon...you cant really, in this. He was also right about a lot of the other things he said. This game does need direction, and at this early stage faces an identity crises. So what is it to be, make an mmo that tries to get as close to the single player games as possible? Or make an mmo that is more a standard mmo with a homage to those titles? Personally what I want to see...like Skyrim...with friends. This is what every ES player wants. And this is what any player who has never played the ES games who is checking this out as a new mmo, should expect.
  • nekrosis258
    Most of the *** fanboys are already here to def their belove game roflmao
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah but when they start in with the name calling and because I said so arguments, it gets really hilarious.

I love to watch em.
  • Ulalume
    Ulalume
    I really miss the times when gamers posted their own reviews. Now it's Force this, Angry Joe that and apparently everybody has to promote someone else's YouTube channel.

What I still fail to see is how this is supposed to help the game. If the purpose of the thread is to help AJ get new viewers: mission accomplished. If this is supposed to raise awareness about what some consider to be ESO's biggest flaws, it fails pretty hard.

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have had many of these issues since beta. The only thing they listen to is money. A review that has the possibility to influence thousands of buyers might just get them to act on the botting problem, or fix some of the beta bugs.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but when they start in with the name calling and because I said so arguments, it gets really hilarious.

I love to watch em.

It's good to see that you don't try hiding the fact that you are just trolling, unlike the others LOL