Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Major issues with the game - by Angry Joe

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    d0e1ow wrote: »
    Shimond wrote: »
    Yeah. it's all fun and games till the guy you choose to review your game gives his honest opinion and it's not that good.

Wait, someone chose him to review the game and this is just his honest opinion? He's not like, I dunno, doing it for views and ad revenue?

What a selfless guy, truly a noble heart.

Nobody said this..

Keep it up, you continue to prove the point.

So you're incapable of reading your own posts?

Sure I can... but I never said what you said I did. I never said he didn't want views or advertising.

I'm saying, he gave his honest opinion and I agree with almost everything he said. His advertising has nothing to do with it.

But feel free to continue with the typical attacking response instead of actually telling us why you feel he was wrong on his points..

Still waiting.

He's wrong because he overstates the facts and blows them vastly out of proportion. Listening to his review, you'd think, short of the PvP, that the game was entirely broken and near non-functional. His review is trash.

He glosses over the pros and spends the entire time bitching about what he doesn't like. I get it, the game isn't perfect, big surprise, but do we need the entire video to have that message conveyed to us? His review wasn't balanced in any sense of the word. You could hardly call it a review honestly.

What you fail to understand isn't that he is seeking views for money, but that he shapes his content to gain those views. He appeal to an audience, a specific one, to make his money. The trend for almost a year now has been to bash on ESO, and he joined the bandwagon as soon as he decided he disliked their subscription model. He's been down on the game and nitpicking it to pieces since. Him giving it a poor review was not a surprise, and his views match those of the inane rabble rousers perfectly.

"I don't like subs. This game has bugs. Game is unplayable. It sucks!" He's literally throwing a ninny-fit because console boy isn't getting Skyrim for free.

You're free to dislike subs, but keep it out of the review of the game's content as it has nothing to do with the game's content. Yes, the game has bugs, but they are not as overstated as he makes them seem. The game has a lot of good qualities that he has failed to mention or even make a respectable note of.

"Combat is fun I guess..." doesn't cut it.

His review is a joke. He's a joke. He's a turd as far as I'm concerned. Drunk or sober, the dude us a fanboy turd.

If you want to have it further illustrated to you how unbalanced and clueless he is about this genre, go watch his review of GW2. You'd think that that game was literally the second coming of Christ. Once again, he eschews balance and fairness for an over the top one-sided review, because that's what is audience wants. I'd suspect his audience are mostly very young, and young minds love that kind of over the top stuff.

"THIS GAME SUXXXXX" contrasted with the sometimes "THIS IS BEST GAME EVARR GOTYYYY" is totally the kind of hype talk that teenagers and kids use and that people selling products (Joe is selling a character!) look to appeal to.

The guys who gave fair and balanced reviews aren't getting near the attention, why? Because people like spectacles, and these reviewers didn't make a spectacle of themselves.

Ever heard the term "lowest common denominator"? Look it up.

Nothing but insults and opinion.

You didn't point to anything he said that was factually wrong. He had video proof of all his problems with the game and it matched almost point for point with my problems with the game.

Still waiting.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much, the dude gave proof of the problems and you guys are just bashing him. Even when he showed you?
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭

You think the developers are going to think they need to urgently fix gaming breaking bugs if he spends half the segment raving about the things they got right? No.

If you want them to focus on fixing the weak points of the game, then you need to point them out in glaring fashion.

Otherwise, the developers are like "meh, we'll get to it eventually..."
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof becasue he was an idiot and dropped/skipped quests trying to rush to 50?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    But why is it such an issue for him to just walk until he can afford a horse?

That's one of the reasons I want him to play project 1999 for a month then review it (project 1999 is classic everquest). If he thinks running from one fort to another in cyrodiil is bad what will he think about having to run across a continent and wait on a boat to get to other continents? My first run from Felwithe to Erudin was the single most epic MMO experience I've ever had. That was like 15 years ago though.

When you come from older MMOs you have a different perspective on these "shortcomings" ESO has. I like how many dungeons are public (and especially like that loot is instanced and you can't be prevented from getting xp or loot). I like that you have to run to places and that forts are distanced in cyrodiil, otherwise it would be a huge zerg battle nonstop. No housing? Doesn't bother me. We will get it eventually, and the last "housing" I dealt with was Rift's dimensions which I did not care for; Everquest didn't have it at all.

This game is a lot better than he makes it out to be, and he apparently really enjoys PVP, the combat and the character development system which are core parts of the game.

I agree with you in the sense his review lacked a broader perspective where it concerns MMORPGs. So either he has very little experience with them, or was purposely taking the game out of context to bash it more. Because a lot of his criticisms were just stupid.

For example: he called questing boring on the game when this game has by and far the best questing I have seen on possibly any MMORPG. Certainly among any of the more recent ones.

He talks about how traveling on this game while questing is like walking across blank spans of nothingness or something like that when this game has a vibrant and interactive world that rivals if not surpasses any MMORPG I have ever played.

Then he complains endlessly about the horrible grouping and not being able to quest together efficiently. And while I agree with that assessment, that's common place in today's MMORPGs. In fact, most of the more recent MMORPGs don't even allow you to group for many of the quests at all and treats character progression as a wholly single-player experience.

So why he spazzes out over that and acts as if that is some singular abomination unique to Elder Scrolls is baffling to put it mildly.

I'm already starting to get too wordy so I'll end it here (I could go on for several more paragraphs ). But for those who act as if this man's review was some insightful accurate work of brilliance, I would just have to say I couldn't more strongly disagree. It was basically a hit job on this game. Or at least the first half of the video I managed to force myself through to watch was.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 23, 2014 5:29PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    crush83 wrote: »
    What a truly ignorant statement. Yeah, you're right. Only the people in People's Top 100 Beautiful people spread have first-rate beauty.

Unbelievable. Thanks for showing the world your intelligence level.

Right. Because not even landing in the top 1000 of something means you matter.

We are apparently operating with very different definitions of first and second rate.
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. it's all fun and games till the guy you choose to review your game gives his honest opinion and it's not that good.

Wait, someone chose him to review the game and this is just his honest opinion? He's not like, I dunno, doing it for views and ad revenue?

Nobody said this..

Sure I can... but I never said what you said I did. I never said he didn't want views or advertising.

I'm saying, he gave his honest opinion and I agree with almost everything he said. His advertising has nothing to do with it.

But feel free to continue with the typical attacking response instead of actually telling us why you feel he was wrong on his points..

Still waiting.

He's wrong because he overstates the facts and blows them vastly out of proportion. Listening to his review, you'd think, short of the PvP, that the game was entirely broken and near non-functional. His review is trash.

He glosses over the pros and spends the entire time bitching about what he doesn't like. I get it, the game isn't perfect, big surprise, but do we need the entire video to have that message conveyed to us? His review wasn't balanced in any sense of the word. You could hardly call it a review honestly.

What you fail to understand isn't that he is seeking views for money, but that he shapes his content to gain those views. He appeal to an audience, a specific one, to make his money. The trend for almost a year now has been to bash on ESO, and he joined the bandwagon as soon as he decided he disliked their subscription model. He's been down on the game and nitpicking it to pieces since. Him giving it a poor review was not a surprise, and his views match those of the inane rabble rousers perfectly.

"I don't like subs. This game has bugs. Game is unplayable. It sucks!" He's literally throwing a ninny-fit because console boy isn't getting Skyrim for free.

You're free to dislike subs, but keep it out of the review of the game's content as it has nothing to do with the game's content. Yes, the game has bugs, but they are not as overstated as he makes them seem. The game has a lot of good qualities that he has failed to mention or even make a respectable note of.

His review is a joke. He's a joke. He's a turd as far as I'm concerned. Drunk or sober, the dude us a fanboy turd.

If you want to have it further illustrated to you how unbalanced and clueless he is about this genre, go watch his review of GW2. You'd think that that game was literally the second coming of Christ. Once again, he eschews balance and fairness for an over the top one-sided review, because that's what is audience wants. I'd suspect his audience are mostly very young, and young minds love that kind of over the top stuff.

"THIS GAME SUXXXXX" contrasted with the sometimes "THIS IS BEST GAME EVARR GOTYYYY" is totally the kind of hype talk that teenagers and kids use and that people selling products (Joe is selling a character!) look to appeal to.

The guys who gave fair and balanced reviews aren't getting near the attention, why? Because people like spectacles, and these reviewers didn't make a spectacle of themselves.

You didn't point to anything he said that was factually wrong. He had video proof of all his problems with the game and it matched almost point for point with my problems with the game.

Still waiting.

Good God. He gave specific examples of what was wrong with the review. He pointed out an obvious ulterior motive: AJ is a vocal supporter of the horrible microtransaction payment model that has done such terrible damage to the MMO genre. ESO has a subscription fee, ergo it is evil - and this motivation shows clearly through the rant (not review). You appear to worship the ground that the guy walks on, which is your right. But others have the right to call your idol and God out when he does something that they disagree with.
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much, the dude gave proof of the problems and you guys are just bashing him. Even when he showed you?

I saw him bitching about it being boring while clicking through quests and knew right then that he wasn't paying attention to the story . If you fast forward through movies you don't then have a lot of credibility when you claim that the plot was dull.
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    crush83 wrote: »
    What a truly ignorant statement. Yeah, you're right. Only the people in People's Top 100 Beautiful people spread have first-rate beauty.

Unbelievable. Thanks for showing the world your intelligence level.

Right. Because not even landing in the top 1000 of something means you matter.

We are apparently operating with very different definitions of first and second rate.

Its all relative to the sample size. People isn't basing their 100 most beautiful people on everyone in the world. They are basing it on A-list movie stars and celebrities. That's a much, much, much smaller sample size than the millions upon millions of YouTube channels out there.

Proportionately, being in the top 500 subscriber wise, and being 1062nd in views is synonymous with being in the upper half of People's 100 most beautiful people list. If not higher.
    Edited by crush83 on April 23, 2014 5:31PM
  • d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭

Nobody said this..

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

I fail to see where I insulted you. "Opinion"? And Angry Joe is stating factual data? **** off.

This entire CONVERSATION is opinion. It's a matter of "I agree" and "I disagree". It's all just conjecture and opinion.

Where was he FACTUALLY wrong? Hmm, let's see. I prefer subscription games to the F2P model about 95% of the time. Whose factually wrong now?

I haven't fallen off the world frequently. That hasn't been my experience. Whose factually wrong now?

I'm enjoying the PvE questing content more than any MMO I've *ever played* (that's a lot btw). Whose factually wrong now?

Come off it. You're treating some talking head on Youtube who gets paid to rant like he's some bastion of objective fact stating.

I hope you're just a kid or something. Actually respond to my thread instead of just saying "Well, that's like, your opinion, dude."

If you don't want to respond to opinions then get the hell off of the forums.
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• ENAK
    ENAK
    ✭✭
    So um... 17 pages and going, eh? :neutral_face: Guys (and girls), just remember, if you like the game, don't let some Joe tell you otherwise. His review is there just to trigger discussion as to what might be improved in the game. I like ESO, he does too... And we all hope that the more or less obviously broken stuff gets 'ironed out' eventually... Let's just hope the game won't go Tabula Rasa on us by then.
  • Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ohioastro wrote: »

Nobody said this..

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

Good God. He gave specific examples of what was wrong with the review. He pointed out an obvious ulterior motive: AJ is a vocal supporter of the horrible microtransaction payment model that has done such terrible damage to the MMO genre. ESO has a subscription fee, ergo it is evil - and this motivation shows clearly through the rant (not review). You appear to worship the ground that the guy walks on, which is your right. But others have the right to call your idol and God out when he does something that they disagree with.

Again, what you did is attack the guy, not talk specifically about his points.

I don't know this Joe guy at all. I never saw video of his till yesterday,

Disagree with him if you want, that's cool.... but do it by pointing me to where he is wrong, not how much you dislike him.

For me, most of his points are valid.

Again, waiting for somebody to point out where his review is wrong.

Still waiting.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody said this..

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

I I haven't fallen off the world frequently. That hasn't been my experience.
    Me either. Yet to watch his video you would come away with the impression it was common to have your character just suddenly evaporate into the void.

The man was full of hot hair and gross exaggeration. And how anyone could label his review as anything but a lame attempt at comedy is beyond my ability to comprehend.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 23, 2014 5:34PM
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭

I personally cant stand the guy, he is such a stupid meathead, but it is hard to refute the guy when he has video proof, however this forum is infected with a fanboi defense force that is like a cancer.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him bitching about it being boring while clicking through quests and knew right then that he wasn't paying attention to the story . If you fast forward through movies you don't then have a lot of credibility when you claim that the plot was dull.

Ok he gave his two cents. Swim through what you don't agree with and see the huge bugs that he list as a negative.
  • mrlee95b14_ESO
    Joe hit the nail on the head. ESO feels like an MMO from 2005. Zeni Online has learned nothing from other mmo's.

I am disabled and my "job" is playing MMO's. I have played a crap ton of them. When playing a fresh new MMO I shouldn't be bored within the first month.

At first I was really enjoying ESO, but as time went on I am now growing bored of it, and I am only level 25.
    The bad animations, the amount of gold you need to buy things or repair are absurd. At least have enough gold drop from the mobs to give you enough money to repair with! You shouldn't be punished heavily just by repair bills! (When learning the dungeons with a new group is a good example of this)

No global AH, my character runs like she has a stick up her butt and my horse's run speed is sooo slow. And to pay 250g to level up a whole 1%?!?! Really?

I could go on and on and on but people and Joe have pretty much covered it all already. I expect a lot better from a sub based MMO these days.

I do not care what kind of "street cred" Joe has. If I am playing any game and there is a review up of it, I will watch it. Not knowing who the person is or not should not matter. If they put up an honest review, like Joe did here IMO, then thats all I am looking for.

I have played the Wildstar Beta's and that sure in hell feels like a more complete and finished MMO than ESO and will more than likely start playing Wildstar and ditching ESO when it is released in the next coming months.
    I wanted to love ESO, but I can't play a game that has so many issues and is turning out to be boring!

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • d0e1ow
    d0e1ow
    ✭✭✭✭
    demendred wrote: »

I think the word you're looking for is "forcing" and don't de-rail. Oh, and thank you for the link to Witchy Woman in the sidebar of Youtube! :smile:
    Edited by d0e1ow on April 23, 2014 5:38PM
    "Her mystery was as essential to her as savagery was to Boethiah or treachery was to Molag Bal. To understand Nocturnal is to negate her, to pull back the curtains cloaking her realm of darkness." - Sigillah Parate "Invocation of Azura"

• crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone here is so scared to point out the glaring bugs and shortcomings of this game as if somehow that will drive everyone away. You know what will drive everyone away? Not getting those things fixed.

This AngryJoe video, to me, was nothing more than a dramatized attempt to point out critical bugs and shortcomings that need to be high priority on the developers fix list.

It shouldn't be anything that makes anyone decide not to play the game, though, I'm sure it will have that affect on some.

However, it should kick the devs asses into high gear to fix these things before that 1 month mark hits.

The point about grouping being pointless, and even a hindrance in some cases, when doing open world progression is a huge point. People need to stop sitting in denial trying to protect the game's image when there are blatant issues with the game.

I understand some of you are still like level 16 after 3 weeks of playing, and think you are qualified to comment on the state of the full game. I'm here to tell you that's not true.
    Edited by crush83 on April 23, 2014 5:39PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe hit the nail on the head. ESO feels like an MMO from 2005. Zeni Online has learned nothing from other mmo's.

I am disabled and my "job" is playing MMO's. I have played a crap ton of them. When playing a fresh new MMO I shouldn't be bored within the first month.

At first I was really enjoying ESO, but as time went on I am now growing bored of it, and I am only level 25.
    The bad animations, the amount of gold you need to buy things or repair are absurd. At least have enough gold drop from the mobs to give you enough money to repair with! You shouldn't be punished heavily just by repair bills! (When learning the dungeons with a new group is a good example of this)

No global AH, my character runs like she has a stick up her butt and my horse's run speed is sooo slow. And to pay 250g to level up a whole 1%?!?! Really?

I could go on and on and on but people and Joe have pretty much covered it all already. I expect a lot better from a sub based MMO these days.

I do not care what kind of "street cred" Joe has. If I am playing any game and there is a review up of it, I will watch it. Not knowing who the person is or not should not matter. If they put up an honest review, like Joe did here IMO, then thats all I am looking for.

I have played the Wildstar Beta's and that sure in hell feels like a more complete and finished MMO than ESO and will more than likely start playing Wildstar and ditching ESO when it is released in the next coming months.
    I wanted to love ESO, but I can't play a game that has so many issues and is turning out to be boring!

He had some valid criticisms. I completely agree with him about no global AH and what a mistake that is. So I won't even begin to defend the game on that decision.

But he exaggerates too much and knitpicks on the game's actual strengths to the point it invalidates his legitimacy. Anyone who watches this review with the intent of coming away with an accurate impression of the game is being done a huge disservice.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 23, 2014 5:41PM
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the word you're looking for is "forcing" and don't de-rail. Oh, and thank you for the link to Witchy Woman in the sidebar of Youtube! :smile:

I wasn't de-railing, I don't know who this guy is, so I was trying to shift the conversation away from that into something totally random and redundant.

Oh wait, maybe I was.....
  • jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭
    metascore-78 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-online

Meta critic user score-6.4

IGN-7.8 http://www.ign.com/games/elder-scrolls-online/pc-14216012

IGN community-8.3

gamespot players-7.8 http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-online/reviews/

MMORPG user rating- 8.2 http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/ratings

GameStop user rating- 7.6 http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-online/101905

PCGamer-68 http://www.pcgamer.com/game/the-elder-scrolls-online/

averages-7.5

I could keep going but these are the most popular review sites I could find. Now when I look at these ratings and reviews I see that the game is falling short of great and holding a passing grade for the most part. Now keep in mind that reviewers do not review future of promised content. So any judgement they make must be based on the game in its current state. I would say that Joe's score is not too far off the mark, a little harder on the game than the majority but not by much.
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like to read or view reviews of any game, heck even movies. I prefer instead to value what I think is fun/or good based on my tastes.

There is no doubt that this game has some issues, some of them bordering on the serious side but I am still having fun playing and as long as I am I will keep playing.
  • mrlee95b14_ESO

I just wanted to throw in 2 more things here....

MMORPG.com put this up today...(4-23-14)
    Elder Scrolls Online Column: It’s Raining, But the Sky Isn’t Falling
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8442/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Its-Raining-But-the-Sky-Isnt-Falling.html

And PCGamer:
    The Elder Scrolls Online fan-run item market endorsed by Zenimax Online
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/14/the-elder-scrolls-online-fan-run-item-market-endorsed-by-zenimax-online/

Which i think is just sad, and it makes Zeni look lazy by not adding in a global AH.

• mrlee95b14_ESO

Sorry but those are not real world problems!! ESO getting fixed is more important! :open_mouth:

• mrlee95b14_ESO
    And one more thing to add!!

THESE FORUMS SUCK A**!!!! From the layout to postings.... what a mess!!

• Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok he gave his two cents. Swim through what you don't agree with and see the huge bugs that he list as a negative.

I've played the game; have you? Because I've never had a toon fall through the world; I had few quest bugs; and I like running around the open landscape just fine, thanks. I didn't find myself nodding my head and saying "he's got a point" very often - except on grouping tools, which I agree are weak. I think this is a genre problem with the strong player preference for solo gaming, not an ESO problem. So, I found the faults to be exaggerated; the benefits swept aside, ignored, and utterly mischaracterized. I think that the questing in this game, if you bother to follow it, is actually remarkably good for a MMO - it's certainly at the level of the single player ES games. Having this called a negative tells me that, at minimum, his tastes are a poor match to mine.

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭

Sorry but those are not real world problems!! ESO getting fixed is more important! :open_mouth:

I have to admit, my 10 year old Iraqi wife and I had a chuckle over that
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's just a big show-off
    I lyke not this quill.
  • jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭

I have to admit, my 10 year old Iraqi wife and I had a chuckle over that

Well its definitely one way to solve teen pregnancy, by the time they are teens their sick of each other.