Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When will eu server will come to eu ?

• Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When enough EU customers cancel their sub and the suits that ordered server to remain in US, get scared for their wallets.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See, even after ZOS changed the EU maintenance time to not be during EU prime time, there's still people who complain that they now can't play during the weeee hours of the morning.

Proof that you can't make everyone happy with maintenance times.

No. Proof that Europe is a quite wide time zone so 5am BST in the UK is mid morning for eastern europe. The time to do maintenance would be 1am BST so it would over by 8am-9am for Eastern Europeans.

Also proof that some people are both desperately uninformed and eager to attack other posters.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that they've rented server/bandwidth space from a provider under a contract.

The likelihood is that that contract now leaves them with the capability of running two 'megaservers' in the US, but doesn't give them any room to move the servers geographically to the EU.

It's more likely they're still trying to negotiate a deal whereby they can back out of half of the contracted space they pay for in the US on the guarantee of contracting equivalent server space in the EU.

And of course...if the servers are moved to the EU then all patches, updates, expansions, etc will likely have to all come out 3 days later *snark*
    Not true at all. I play SWTOR and all updates are released at the same time. Usually around 2 am in texas, and 9 am in England.

• Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    So we all agree that game is broken? Well 90% of it

No, there is some problem but saying the game is broken is a bit too much, especially 90% of it

• monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they actually even bothered to answer to their promise?

I know many people would like to know this before they continue subscription.
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    No real answer yet
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    From reddit question with dev :
    As soon as we can move on from fighting service attacks from gold farmers and fixing stability and server load issues, we’ll move the EU megaserver over to its European hosting center. There’s no exact timeline for this at the moment, but it will happen when things settle down.

So it will take several month before the EU server move ...
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have made a commitment to move it, that's good enough for me. I was initially concerned they were playing a waiting game to see if they needed to consolidate based on poor sub uptake.
    Edited by raglau on May 2, 2014 6:06AM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but personnaly i think they're still playing the waiting game
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I stick to my 3 month rule, well 4 months with the 30 free days. At the end of 4 months, if they haven't moved it, I will be outtie. I will not pay for another 90 days on lagtastic servers. Its especially bad in PvP cuz US players know about this issue and come on the EU servers specifically to get an advantage of EU players.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »
    I stick to my 3 month rule, well 4 months with the 30 free days. At the end of 4 months, if they haven't moved it, I will be outtie. I will not pay for another 90 days on lagtastic servers. Its especially bad in PvP cuz US players know about this issue and come on the EU servers specifically to get an advantage of EU players.

Yes, I think 4 months would be a very generous amount of time to expect the server to be moved within. Ultimately that's a peak levelling and play period for everyone so if they haven't moved it within that window, that's not a good sign of commitment to the EU players.
  • Chanz
    Chanz
    ✭✭
    @squicker
    It hasn't been good since the start. It should have been in EU since the launch. The more they postpone it, the more subscribers they are going to lose.

Edited by Chanz on May 2, 2014 12:22PM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's not the best idea and I do really struggle to understand it. I even struggle to understand why anyone would put this stuff on their own servers in 2014, and not use Amazon Elastic Computing etc. That's where all the big game - and other - companies are going, that way it doesn't matter where it is as such, as it can be anywhere.

Still, on the basis that I do like the game a lot and that ZOS appear to be making progress, I'll stick it out on a month by month basis for now.
    Chanz wrote: »
    @squicker
    It hasn't been good since the start. It should have been in EU since the launch. The more they postpone it, the more subscribers they are going to lose.

• Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    happy to hear they will be moving the Server to Europe and I can understand them wanting to iron out the issues first before the move.
    However I'm disappointed that these answers are given on a different Forum and not directly to the paying community here!
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon Elastic Computing is not suitable, cost wise, to all situations. It's great for Netflix as they just need lots of disk space and bandwidth - however ESO is VERY VERY CPU intensive server side and needs millisecond fast response times. That becomes extremely expensive in cloud computing, and because Amazon is all Virtual Machine based where you're sharing resources, you don't get millisecond fast response times.
    Edited by GossiTheDog on May 2, 2014 12:27PM
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zolyok, In their road ahead message, ZOS said that they plan to have the EU moved in time for Craglorn, after the serious issues are over. Right now they are keeping the servers next to each other for faster access
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd disagree with that. We've moved several large companies to various cloud offerings and they do get the response they need for multiplayer gaming plus some have had up to 90% cost savings over term because they have been able to radically reduce headcount. If the platform is architected correctly (scaling etc) there really is no reason it should perform any differently to their own tin. In fact, there are several reasons it may perform better.

That said, I have obviously not been privvy to the design process, but as a principle, deploying anything centrally managed but accessed in a distributed fashion, is usually better served by the newer models over tin. Even if - say EC2 (which I picked as an example for it's auto-scaling benefits) - was not workable, there would most definitely be a cloud (maybe private) offering from one of the vendors that would work, and basically be a lot cheaper in the long-term TCO wise and offer more rapid release schedules, which in turn tends to raise revenue.

I would stake my left *** on it.

But even if for some reason not, there would be no reason to deploy EU physical servers in USA, because they can be managed remotely where ever they are anyway. So the decision is odd and definitely will have already cost them some subs, although I shall sit it out for a couple of months to see if ZOS are true to their word, because I think the game itself is excellent.

Amazon Elastic Computing is not suitable, cost wise, to all situations. It's great for Netflix as they just need lots of disk space and bandwidth - however ESO is VERY VERY CPU intensive server side and needs millisecond fast response times. That becomes extremely expensive in cloud computing, and because Amazon is all Virtual Machine based where you're sharing resources, you don't get millisecond fast response times.

Edited by raglau on May 2, 2014 12:38PM
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zolyok, In their road ahead message, ZOS said that they plan to have the EU moved in time for Craglorn, after the serious issues are over. Right now they are keeping the servers next to each other for faster access

They never said they would be moved to EU in time for Craglorn in the road ahead message, nor that they are next to each other for faster access. Just to be clear.

@squicker, I could spend all day talking about this :D I generally think cloud wouldn't work in this instance. Also keep in mind work started on this game way, way back before Amazon EC2 etc existed. You can go to jobs.zenimax.com and see what technology ESO is built upon - examples, Redhat and such. Nowadays it feels a bit retro. But it's also very corporate and big business.
    Edited by GossiTheDog on May 2, 2014 12:44PM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally think cloud wouldn't work in this instance.

Pun intended I hope!! Boom boom! :smiley:
    Also keep in mind work started on this game way, way back before Amazon EC2 etc existed. You can go to

Yes, I think that's more the reason. It's a case of, if someone were starting the design of this infrastructure today and came to me with a local server style implementation, I'd send them off with a flea in their ear. BUT...If they designed the back end a few years ago then came to me saying they wanted to change that to cloud, I'd probably come to the conclusion that it would be great in principle but that changing core infrastructure offerings so close to release would be too risky by far. So I think your point is valid and hits the nail on the head.

But all in all, it is what it is and I think that their reasoning for not moving to EU now - stabilise, nail gold spammers & botting etc. it's good enough for me to stick it out. They've made a state of the game address, I know some people could reasonably say they'll believe it when they see it, but for the sake of 9 quid a month on a good game, I am willing to see what happens and take them at their word. I was going to leave for a few months prior to that annoucement, to let things settle down a bit, mainly due to the support (lack of), not the game design itself.
    Edited by raglau on May 2, 2014 12:52PM
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much ditto, @squicker. I'm going to sit it out a few months.

Also worth noting I've played PVP while in the US and I had exactly the same kind of extreme lags as I get from the UK. These very forums and reddit were full of complaints from US people on US megaserver last night saying it had unplayable lag. I'm talking 15 seconds to fire a weapon. Basically, there's not just network latency going on here.

(Also, as an aside - some elements of the game infrastructure ARE in Amazon EC2 - just not the super-mega-CPU-server elements).
    Edited by GossiTheDog on May 2, 2014 12:55PM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I was going to mention this. Whilst it's of course good to have a resource near the people consuming it, it's no guarantee of performance. This early in the game's life it could be many things letting down performance at the back end.

Moving the server is no panacea.
    Also worth noting I've played PVP while in the US and I had exactly the same kind of extreme lags as I get from the UK. These very forums and reddit were full of complaints from US people on US megaserver last night saying it had unplayable lag. I'm talking 15 seconds to fire a weapon. Basically, there's not just network latency going on here.

• GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @squicker, I did some performance testing on the megaserver PVP lag issue and it appears to have happen when there's large groups of people in one area (e.g. 150 people at a fort). Then things go off a cliff. You can 'fix' the lag by running away from the other players, then it returns to normal.

It's either a bug, or a server load issue. One of the engineers on reddit last night actually mentioned "server load issues", so it might be that.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can now get into PvP since the last patch so will have a look. What is spiking on the client when this happens?
    @squicker, I did some performance testing on the megaserver PVP lag issue and it appears to have happen when there's large groups of people in one area (e.g. 150 people at a fort). Then things go off a cliff. You can 'fix' the lag by running away from the other players, then it returns to normal.

It's either a bug, or a server load issue. One of the engineers on reddit last night actually mentioned "server load issues", so it might be that.

• GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    squicker wrote: »
    I can now get into PvP since the last patch so will have a look. What is spiking on the client when this happens?

CPU usage. But I imagine it being heavy CPU usage server side because of the number of players doing things. I do ponder if your actions (e.g. sneaking, firing) either aren't getting sent to the server due to threading issues (but 15 second lag - really?) or if the server can't process all the client actions maybe (some form of queue). I haven't packet dumped it to see what is happening.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, I can't remember, does FPS drop at this point or the game just lags?

CPU usage. But I imagine it being heavy CPU usage server side because of the number of players doing things. I do ponder if your actions (e.g. sneaking, firing) either aren't getting sent to the server due to threading issues (but 15 second lag - really?) or if the server can't process all the client actions maybe (some form of queue). I haven't packet dumped it to see what is happening.

• GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, I can't remember, does FPS drop at this point or the game just lags?

Both. Well, FPS always drops due to the thread 0 issues, and extreme lag performing actions only happens sometimes.
    Edited by GossiTheDog on May 2, 2014 1:05PM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭

Here is what they exactly said yesterday during the reddit AmA
    As soon as we can move on from fighting service attacks from gold farmers and fixing stability and server load issues, we’ll move the EU megaserver over to its European hosting center. There’s no exact timeline for this at the moment, but it will happen when things settle down.

So don't count on it for 1.1 neither for the next month, then there will be the console version launch so things won't "settle down" for the next 3-6 month
    Edited by Zolyok on May 2, 2014 1:50PM
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    where on earth did you see that? Link please?
    Zolyok wrote: »

Here is what they exactly said yesterday during the reddit AmA

So don't count on it for 1.1 neither for the next month, then there will be the console version launch so things won't "settle down" for the next 3-6 month
    They will have to move it by console launch. Because for example, xbox 1 uses dedicated servers located in Europe. so they would have to be moved by then or *** will get nasty.

• GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @laced, they never said what Fairydragon3 said they said. You can read the Road Ahead message he/she is referring to on front page of elderscrollsonline.com.

As for console launch on Xbox One - they don't have to use Windows Azure. There's already games on XB1 which aren't using Azure. So they don't HAVE to move to EU by then. However I think they will. I also suspect console release is being pushed back.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »
    Just my thoughts:

After the first "free" month ZOS will wait another one or two months to see how many subs are left. Then they will realize there aren't enough to justify two servers. So, EU and NA will get merged.

I sort of hope they will