Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When will eu server will come to eu ?

• Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »
    I think this will depend on how many Europeans sign up, if they don't have the numbers it's unlikely they will go to the expense of re-locating the server.
    The EU datacenter is already built, and they already have staff, that's the thing, they will move it, but we are hoping they don't take forever, because atm, this game is ridiculous to play with the latency. Again, if we go by population, the mmo community in Europe is potentially double the size of the potential US customer base. EU population 713mil, US 300mil approx.
    and you source for this statement is?
  • BaKaNoOB
    BaKaNoOB
    ✭✭✭
    @murklor007neb18_ESO Any issues except hardware which over VM is irrelevant can be fixed remotely in my experience, i don't remember when was last time when i entered the reserve server room ... only remote :)

if you believe that they are fixing issues standing in the datacenter you are quite wrong, they probably fix thing in tini room that is far away from actual datacenter location cause they are quarded like military bases , and no one can enter except their own staff
    Edited by BaKaNoOB on April 25, 2014 2:08PM
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Quit crying EU, the NA server has lag spikes at heavy load times and the game runs like crap as well. So you are not a second class citizen we are all treated like crap and left in the dark by zenimax.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think this will depend on how many Europeans sign up, if they don't have the numbers it's unlikely they will go to the expense of re-locating the server.
    The EU datacenter is already built, and they already have staff, that's the thing, they will move it, but we are hoping they don't take forever, because atm, this game is ridiculous to play with the latency. Again, if we go by population, the mmo community in Europe is potentially double the size of the potential US customer base. EU population 713mil, US 300mil approx.
    His source is population figures, I think. The phrases "if we go by Population" and "potentially" give that away. Not sure I agree, different countries have different biases towards computer games, and money has a lot to do with it too, plenty of people in Greece and Balkans, but a small proportion will spend money on MMos.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Zeeed
    Zeeed
    ✭✭✭
    wllstrt75b14_ESO SPIKEs ??? What *** spikes im talking 300ms constant in prime time Every *** day !!!!
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    His source is population figures, I think. The phrases "if we go by Population" and "potentially" give that away. Not sure I agree, different countries have different biases towards computer games, and money has a lot to do with it too, plenty of people in Greece and Balkans, but a small proportion will spend money on MMos.
    Which is why I said potentially. Someone said a few pages back that Europe has a larger MMO community, I don't know about that, so I simply went by potential customers dependent on total population :). As for the datacenters being finished, they stated that on the "Road ahead" statement. They said they will move the servers to their EU servers when the initial launch period is over, and lets be honest, initial launch period = one month. Not more.

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zeeed wrote: »
    wllstrt75b14_ESO SPIKEs ??? What *** spikes im talking 300ms constant in prime time Every *** day !!!!
    Yep, I am getting 160ms - 600 ms depending on the time of day, its ridiculous. I have 100 MB/s as well....with a whole 10 ms lag on SWTOR and Battlefield 4, Diablo 3, and StarCraft II

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Quit crying EU, the NA server has lag spikes at heavy load times and the game runs like crap as well. So you are not a second class citizen we are all treated like crap and left in the dark by zenimax.
    You at least have servers that aren't crossing a whole continent and an ocean. You are experiencing gameplay issues due to bugs and bad coding, we are experiencing extreme lag + gameplay issues due to bugs and bad coding, which are amplified dramatically due to the latency.

• saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    So we all agree that game is broken? Well 90% of it
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    saki wrote: »
    What are you talking about, we can fix it by logging in and out! : sarcasm : =P

• saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭

ALT+F4 quicker :D

• bokestigb16_ESO
    Any official response yet? Would be nice to try some of that action combat developers talked about. No matter how i roll right now, i still get hit by stuff because of the lag.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any official response yet? Would be nice to try some of that action combat developers talked about. No matter how i roll right now, i still get hit by stuff because of the lag.
    I don't understand it, this game ws in development for 6 years, yet they have all these problems. Wildstar is in beta atm, im testing it out, and it has no lag, and from what ive heard its using EU datacenters......in.....beta....:/

• Starnes
    Starnes
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand it, this game ws in development for 6 years, yet they have all these problems. Wildstar is in beta atm, im testing it out, and it has no lag, and from what ive heard its using EU datacenters......in.....beta....:/

This was exactly what I was looking forward to testing in our last beta session for ESO, the "EU" servers.

Big dissappointment when I found the ping the same as the NA server, then realisation that it wasn't even in the EU followed by ZOS's announcement that they would be moved to the EU "later."

All in all a terribly planned job on their end.
    Edited by Starnes on April 26, 2014 1:13AM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's true (and I don't really doubt you) that's a weird architecture decision. Why on earth would anyone deploy and own a physical array\cluster of servers & supporting infra in this day and age, especially for something like an MMO with peaks and troughs? It gives the highest possible TCO for the lowest ROI and the lowest up-time. Sure a mega-server is an attempt to mitigate those issues but it'll never come close to truly tracking the abilities of EC2/Azure.

You'd just do a Spotify and Amazon AWS/EC2 the whole lot, negating the need for the below, providing globally accessible auto-scaling instances and firing 90% of the staff at the same time - far lower opex and no capex plus greater business flexibility.

The days of people deploying things using the model below are long gone. For centralised services with distributed access (MMOs, music platforms, messaging and collaboration, file storage, in fact pretty much everything in the modern world) the below model has not made sense for a long time. Now the bandwidth is cheap as chips very few people are using it for fresh deployments.

Still, I guess the game itself is not the most forward looking design architecturally (not that I dislike the gameplay). So perhaps these are legacy decisions they did not feel they had resource to impact assess and re-evaluate and were more focussed on the game design.

ZOS are quite small and actually only have about 250 permanent employees, so not sure about their LinkedIn page, it might include secondments from ZM. I am not sure how many they are taking on in Ireland but I doubt it's going to double the headcount.
    To give this some context - it's been speculated online that the game is hosted on Amazon Web Services cloud. It isn't. The launcher downloads are, but the US and EU megaserver are at an actual datacenter in Dallas, Texas. If you look up Zenimax Online Studios on LinkedIn, then filter by Texas, you'll find a whole load of employees who purely work on this element of the game. I think some people believe "megaserver" is just a couple of servers. It ain't. It's a huge piece of infrastructure, with things like networking, backups, power, UPS, cooling etc.

Edited by raglau on April 26, 2014 5:48AM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The EU has over double the size MMO community than the US and APAC dwarfs us all. APAC crucially prefer sub models and have massive growth forecast (EU & US are stagnant). However, we in the EU spend slightly less than the US on MMOs.

I posted the source a way back, the 2013 MMO report.
    Which is why I said potentially. Someone said a few pages back that Europe has a larger MMO community, I don't know about that, so I simply went by potential customers dependent on total population :). As for the datacenters being finished, they stated that on the "Road ahead" statement. They said they will move the servers to their EU servers when the initial launch period is over, and lets be honest, initial launch period = one month. Not more.

Edited by raglau on April 26, 2014 5:43AM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Still no info
  • Crowtac
    Crowtac
    +1 can we have an official statement on this?
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. Ragnar, that's your best post yet.

For info, there's actual data on player megaserver location thanks to addons - almost 50% of players are in EU. Make of that what you will.
    Edited by ZOS_AnaP on April 29, 2014 7:46AM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    And so what ?
    And Eu have the largest mmo population (asian market is not the same)

They said something i hope they'll do what they said that's all.

Edited by ZOS_AnaP on April 29, 2014 7:47AM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    What is the correlation ?

Edited by ZOS_AnaP on April 29, 2014 7:48AM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Guys i dont like having a 150ms higher ping, but do you really think this should be their top priority?

FFXIV EU players are playing on a server located in Montreal (no its not in France) since the release and nobody left because of this.
    What makes you think ESO players are different?

Lets give them one month to fix the big issues, and then we can attack... en masse! Blitzkrieg!
    Its not ok, no matter WHAT company it is to be US-centric. There is a world outside of the US (and Canada). Also, ESO players ARE different because we require quick response times and as is right now, blocking might as well not exist, because if you hit block AS the attack is coming, it will not count and you will see a blood spatter. Meaning I have to CONSTANTLY block which is ridiculous. In FF14 quick responses are not required, it is your typical tab targeting mmo.

I played several shooters on US located servers with a ping of around 120 and it worked totally fine. Unless you go into the reds around 200-300 playing especially in an MMO should be totally fine.

What you guys experience are lags, but they have zero to do with the Server being in the US. Those megaserver idea´s are not working out that well in prime, that's nothing new.

There are thousands of people connecting at the same time, this causes a lot of stress on the hardware. This wont be any different on an EU based server.
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Guys i dont like having a 150ms higher ping, but do you really think this should be their top priority?

FFXIV EU players are playing on a server located in Montreal (no its not in France) since the release and nobody left because of this.
    What makes you think ESO players are different?

Lets give them one month to fix the big issues, and then we can attack... en masse! Blitzkrieg!
    Its not ok, no matter WHAT company it is to be US-centric. There is a world outside of the US (and Canada). Also, ESO players ARE different because we require quick response times and as is right now, blocking might as well not exist, because if you hit block AS the attack is coming, it will not count and you will see a blood spatter. Meaning I have to CONSTANTLY block which is ridiculous. In FF14 quick responses are not required, it is your typical tab targeting mmo.

I played several shooters on US located servers with a ping of around 120 and it worked totally fine. Unless you go into the reds around 200-300 playing especially in an MMO should be totally fine.

What you guys experience are lags, but they have zero to do with the Server being in the US. Those megaserver idea´s are not working out that well in prime, that's nothing new.

There are thousands of people connecting at the same time, this causes a lot of stress on the hardware. This wont be any different on an EU based server.

The problem is that most of Eu player got 200 to 400 ms and huge lag spike sometimes with more than 2 second delay.
    I played several mmo on US side and on most of them i didn't had less than 300ms, and with the same game when i switch to Eu server i go to around 30/50 ms.

• Hexagar
    Hexagar
    ✭✭
    If they delay it for too long it will be too late..
    Edited by Hexagar on April 29, 2014 8:46AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

um, It does have to do with the server being in US while we are in Europe (although I have little lag myself), remember all connections to US sites are via cables running under Atlantic. The closer you are to the point where those cables connect US to EU the less lag you have, the further away the more lag.

Fibreoptics can reduce this, but not eliminate it, especially as those cables are pre-fibreoptic. Admittedly, there will be lag to some degree not matter where the server is, but overall for europe it should reduce (keyword overall, will probably increase for some).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

um, It does have to do with the server being in US while we are in Europe (although I have little lag myself), remember all connections to US sites are via cables running under Atlantic. The closer you are to the point where those cables connect US to EU the less lag you have, the further away the more lag.

Fibreoptics can reduce this, but not eliminate it, especially as those cables are pre-fibreoptic. Admittedly, there will be lag to some degree not matter where the server is, but overall for europe it should reduce (keyword overall, will probably increase for some).
    I cant believe there are actually people that believe that latency has nothing to do with the server being physically located in Texas....mind blowing. Apparently the laws of physics don't apply to ZoS.

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zolyok wrote: »
    Still no info
    If you can read german, there are a few VAGUE official responses here. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/84182/wann-in-etwa-zieht-der-eu-server-endlich-um/p6

And I mean REALLY vague.....

• chiffsterb16_ESO

ALT+F4 quicker :D

You still have to wait for the character to log out either way.
  • Rhythmic
    Rhythmic
    ✭✭✭
    600ms is unplayable.
    Had around 40-120 ms in WoW.Russia.
  • chiffsterb16_ESO
    I'm guessing that they've rented server/bandwidth space from a provider under a contract.

The likelihood is that that contract now leaves them with the capability of running two 'megaservers' in the US, but doesn't give them any room to move the servers geographically to the EU.

It's more likely they're still trying to negotiate a deal whereby they can back out of half of the contracted space they pay for in the US on the guarantee of contracting equivalent server space in the EU.

And of course...if the servers are moved to the EU then all patches, updates, expansions, etc will likely have to all come out 3 days later *snark*