Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

When will eu server will come to eu ?

• Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    They'll loose a huge part of EU player if the server don't move.
    First of all : How come its was not ready at gamelaunch ?
    It's very suspicious, have they really intended to move the server ?
    Options
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexagar wrote: »
    Zeni doesnt even bother to comment in this thread? They may dont know exact day but they could at least say a word to all european players.. at the moment pvp is barely playable with the high latency.

They already said they will move the server in Europe "some time after release".
    Obviously not too soon, seeing how many issues they are dealing with already.

What do you expect them to "comment"?

Options
  • WitchAngel
    WitchAngel
    ✭✭✭
    Left_Hand wrote: »
    They wont do it until if the revenues are not as expected, if the game subscribers start to plummet or dont rise at all past the first month, zenimax corporate wont authorize the massive funding needed for a new european data centre and support staff.

Personally i dont see it happening and i'm expecting a *** excuse to come up after the first month is done, as to not hurt european subscriber numbers.

And this is the main reason i wont be resubbing unless Zenimax gives a firm timeframe before this first month is up. As a european player the current situation with the server is unacceptable.

Subs always plummet after this first month, with very few exceptions. The question is, how much. My bet is that about 40-50% will leave this month, and another 20% within the following 3 months.
    Options
  • Sonja
    Sonja
    ✭✭✭
    Bring server to EU already, i am not paying you Zenimax to play on USA , i bought the game to play on EU!
    Options
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll never happen, not with the poor launch.
    Zolyok wrote: »
    It's very suspicious, have they really intended to move the server ?

They hedged their bets here and, whilst I personally love the game, ZOS have clearly failed to make a good go of the launch and therefore they'll retain the server in the US ready for consolidation when the sub numbers drop appropriately.

Big shame, but that's what a clear lack of experience does to a product launch.
    Edited by raglau on April 24, 2014 9:35AM
    Options
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't move the server they'll loose at least 80% of the EU player
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They will lose more than that tbh. they will be labeled a US-centric company that only cares about their US customers. Which in turn will most likely cause more than 50 percent of their player base to up and leave.

Options
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you are quite true i think i wanted to be a bit optimist :agree:
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you are quite true i think i wanted to be a bit optimist :agree:
    I am trying to be an optimist. But when they say that the EU servers will be moved to the EU datacenters (which were apparently already built, because they said it will be a seamless move that requires no downtime) shortly after the initial launch. That sounds like a month maximum to me. And if we don't get any word on it at all, my faith starts to wane.....I really had high hopes for this game, but lack of any response on this VERY IMPORTANT topic is not acceptable.

Options
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yep you are true
    The think i don't understand is why it still hasn't moved ?The server don't seem to have hardware problem.
    And software problem, well with the internet in those day its easly can be done remotly as said i don't remember poster
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep you are true
    The think i don't understand is why it still hasn't moved ?The server don't seem to have hardware problem.
    And software problem, well with the internet in those day its easly can be done remotly as said i don't remember poster
    Exactly, if my boss can control his security system from the UAE, and we are in Germany, with a CELL PHONE, then I am sure ZoS can do the same with their datacenters here. I will wait till my 3 month playing time has run out, but will not resub if they don't move them by then, its just not acceptable. We live in a globalized world, and being US-centric is downright unacceptable.

Options
  • Bollerlotte
    Bollerlotte
    ✭✭✭
    Need "green" comment.
    Options
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irony is the EU MMO playerbase is recorded as higher than that of the US.

Options
  • Bollerlotte
    Bollerlotte
    ✭✭✭
    So i lay a mage guild a volcanic rune down in cyrodiil, some enemy players get kicked imidiatly, some 1-3 secs after passing the rune and being optical already somewhere else.

this makes me sad, maybe my targets too. but is fun to see how latency works here.
    Edited by Bollerlotte on April 24, 2014 10:44AM
    Options
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's quite green:
    Hallo,
    bisher gibt es noch kein festes Datum, wann der europäische Server nach Frankfurt umzieht. Es ist aber weiterhin so geplant.

Translation: No move date as of now. But it's still planned.

Src: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/702742#Comment_702742
    Edited by wookiefriseur on April 24, 2014 10:51AM
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Patros wrote: »
    That's quite green:
    Hallo,
    bisher gibt es noch kein festes Datum, wann der europäische Server nach Frankfurt umzieht. Es ist aber weiterhin so geplant.

Translation: No move date as of now. But it's still planned.

Src: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/702742#Comment_702742
    :sigh: so we get to pay and play with ridiculous lag till then, woopie.....

Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure about that, not getting much lag a the minute, I had loads on SWTOR, so actual location is a minor issue for me.

I still want it in Europe though, just so they remember there is a world outside out USA.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on April 24, 2014 1:20PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • c1r3gamerb16_ESO
    I'm in UK on cable (virginmedia) and whilst game play is relatively smooth I do experience long zoning delays, fade outs and other glitches that could possibly be a result of lag/latency/packet loss (take your pick). I'm not alone and the group I play with all experience similar and some nights its worse and our skills don't seem to fire at the same time we hit the keys - frustrating.

However we're not in the pvp zone thank goodness because I doubt we would continue our subs as we know from experience pvp needs quick response times whereas in quest mode you can cope with slight lag.

We'll see how it goes but if we're still experiencing packet loss to the US server to the extent the game is no longer enjoyable then I guess we'll be packing our bags.
    Options
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys i dont like having a 150ms higher ping, but do you really think this should be their top priority?

FFXIV EU players are playing on a server located in Montreal (no its not in France) since the release and nobody left because of this.
    What makes you think ESO players are different?

Lets give them one month to fix the big issues, and then we can attack... en masse! Blitzkrieg!
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Guys i dont like having a 150ms higher ping, but do you really think this should be their top priority?

FFXIV EU players are playing on a server located in Montreal (no its not in France) since the release and nobody left because of this.
    What makes you think ESO players are different?

Lets give them one month to fix the big issues, and then we can attack... en masse! Blitzkrieg!
    Its not ok, no matter WHAT company it is to be US-centric. There is a world outside of the US (and Canada). Also, ESO players ARE different because we require quick response times and as is right now, blocking might as well not exist, because if you hit block AS the attack is coming, it will not count and you will see a blood spatter. Meaning I have to CONSTANTLY block which is ridiculous. In FF14 quick responses are not required, it is your typical tab targeting mmo.

Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    squicker wrote: »
    Can you link figures or source please. Would be interested to read that.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Well taking into consideration that Europe has a population of around 713 million people, and the US has only 300 million. Its logical to say that Europe has potentially almost DOUBLE the MMO population.

Edited by Jade1986 on April 24, 2014 4:09PM
    Options
  • FezzikVizzini
    FezzikVizzini
    ✭✭✭
    On the 5th of never and that's a long long time.
    Yeah, I got a PC. I just don't feel the need to post it's specifications for an ego boost.
    Options
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to give some context to this here is what has been posted about the Europe Megaserver (and other related information):
    We have constructed large datacenters in North America and in Europe to support this game. North America is fully operational and our European datacenter will be soon, but we have found during our beta tests that the location of these servers is not going to affect the gameplay experience. Our testing has now confirmed that millions of players from Europe (and beyond) can play on our North American server and experience ESO as it was designed—without latency or lag problems. (Please note that users in our last scale test had lag issues, especially in Cyrodiil, but this was a game bug, not a location issue – all players, no matter where, experienced that particular problem). So, regardless of a player’s location or the datacenter being used, the confirmed efficiency of our platform architecture will prevent anyone from enjoying a gameplay advantage. And as both datacenters become fully operational, we will continue to add capacity to meet the demands of gamers worldwide.

We will make sure that no matter where you live, every player in North America, Europe, Oceania and many places beyond, will have a polished, lag-free launch experience. Based on the existing number of our beta signups and because we anticipate that the ESO community will continue to grow after launch, we plan to add capacity to keep up with demand in both our North American and European datacenters. The North American and European megaservers will first be hosted in North America. This gives us a more efficient way to address any platform issues that may arise at launch. After the initial launch phase is over, we will move the European megaserver to the European datacenter – but this will be a seamless migration for users, without additional downloads, logins or action required.
    source: ESO Road Ahead - posted 03.14.2014

What the official Support FAQ has on it;
    When I pick the North American and European Megaserver, is that a permanent choice?
    At launch, game accounts will have access to both the North American and the European Megaservers, but individual characters will be bound to the server on which players create them. Accounts can maintain a total of eight characters per server, so players could have a total of 16 characters if they play on both servers. Players will also have to download the game client a second time if they wish to play on both megaservers.

The North American and European Megaservers for The Elder Scrolls Online are both currently housed in our North American datacenter, but they operate independently of one another. We will transfer the European Megaserver to our European Datacenter soon.

From the Reddit AMA with ESO staff;
    3. persian_23

Hi, I really appreciate the fact that you are taking your time to answer or questions so here is mine: as you wrote in the article “ESO – the road ahead”, the EU-server will be stationed in North-America at launch. Will it be possible to transfer characters to the other server? I’m from EU and if the server is in NA anyway I’d rather play on the same as tamrielfoundry shoddycast ect. but I’m afraid I’d miss out on a better connection I could have had later on even though you said that latency won’t be an issue. Anyway thank you for going through so many questions and keep up the good work!

As soon as the dust settles from launch, we’ll get to work on migrating the EU megaserver over to it’s permanent home in the EU. We’ll have lots more info about this when it happens.

From the above there 'should' be some news on the migration to the EU data centre soon.

It's clear really from forum posts and comments elsewhere that they have not achieved the "polished, lag-free launch experience" especially in PvP where it appears that most issues are server-side especially in peak times under high load. In PVE generally the experience has been better overall but not polished.

When they do migrate the Europe Megaserver I don't personally see it resolving overnight the latency and lag issues especially in PvP. The way the game works the difference between say 20ms and 200ms ping is marginal (though when you climb higher it does and the longer the route to the game server the more likelihood of network issues)

Much of which is down to how TCP works over the network and also how the game server compensates for latency.

Check out this blog post which explains nicely just how and why a game would 'hide' latency, especially in an MMO;
    ....So why does World of Warcraft (and other games) work with these delays?

It’s simply because they’re able to hide the latency.

In the case of World of Warcraft, there are no player-to-player collisions: such collisions can’t be handled reliably predicted – but player-to-environment can, so the latter works fine with TCP.

Looking at combat in WoW, it’s easy to realize that commands sent to the servers are really something along the lines of attack_entity(entity_id) or cast_spell(entity_id, spell_id) - in other words, targeting is position independent. Furthermore, things like starting the attack motion or spell effect can be allowed to start without first getting confirmation from the server by showing a “fizzle” effect if the server response differs from the client prediction.

Starting an action before confirmation is a typical latency/lag hiding technique.

A few years back I wrote the client for a card game called Five Card Jazz. It was http based – which latency-wise is a lot worse than a plain persistent TCP connection.

We used the simple card draw and flip up animation to hide latency so that delays were only apparent in the case of very poor connections. The method was typical: send the request and start the animation drawing cards from the deck, but wait with the final flip up to reveal the cards until the server response arrived. WoW’s battle effects work in a similar manner.

This means that the choice of TCP vs UDP should basically be: “Can we hide latency or not?”

I am as keen to see the Europe megaserver move to an EU data centre as anyone as I live here ;) And I was somewhat concerned when Matt Firor talked about "Our testing has now confirmed that millions of players from Europe (and beyond) can play on our North American server and experience ESO as it was designed—without latency or lag problems." Because it really would be slipping back from the position of having the Europe megaserver based in Europe.

It does matter that we have comparable pings to our US compatriots over the longer term as game latency is reduced within the game/ server through optimisation and the ongoing development.

But I don't doubt that this will happen. I am more concerned that they address the launch period issues in the best way they see fit. If it means locating the Europe megaserver in the USA then so be it for the short term.

I look forward to reading news on the migration soon™.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 24, 2014 4:42PM
    Options
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, whilst gamers in the EU are over double of the US (as we'd expect given your population stats) they don't spend as quite as much as their US brethren:

http://www.globalcollect.com/the-global-mmo-games-market

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/globalcollect-releases-global-mmo-games-110800947.html

However, "The top 10 countries by average transaction value in video gaming transactions all come from Europe and the Middle East."

Top of all regions is APAC, in terms of MMO consumption, and dwarfs both EU and US MMO usage combined.

laced wrote: »
    Well taking into consideration that Europe has a population of around 713 million people, and the US has only 300 million. Its logical to say that Europe has potentially almost DOUBLE the MMO population.
    Edited by raglau on April 24, 2014 4:59PM
    Options
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In FF14 quick responses are not required, it is your typical tab targeting mmo.

You gotta be joking lol. Google for Titan extreme and see for yourself.
    That game is all about ping, reflexes and memory... and yeah it sucks.

Edited by Gisgo on April 24, 2014 5:00PM
    Options
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO THEY MUST RELOCATE THE SERVER TO EU!
    Options
  • Bangstin
    Bangstin
    ✭✭✭
    Can't reliably swap weapons or end up double swapping, can't heal reliably , can't block like i should be able to etc. Think i can safely forget about playing pvp until the EU server is located in EU. Wont hang around for too long just to see if Zenimax keeps their promise or not and will most likely stop playing soonish unless the servers are relocated to EU. Game is just too unresponsive now.
    Options
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    This is not only a question of ping, even if the lag spike are very painful, it's also about :
    Why ? Why is it still not open in the Eu location ? Do the data center have hardware issue ?
    When ? It's impossible they don't have a known time window ( at least with a week precision ) for that, if they don't have a planning on it it mean they're working on it randomly wich is unacceptable.
    Because when you proudly annonce something, then saying ( at the last moment ) that you're late and after just give generated answer ppl get angry.
    And yes the game has other problem but i there a lot of ppl, enough to have multiple team, working on TESO or else it's a serious under-estimation of the work to do.
    When this will be solved it will be one problem less and the game can be more enjoyable to EU players.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, whilst gamers in the EU are over double of the US (as we'd expect given your population stats) they don't spend as quite as much as their US brethren:

http://www.globalcollect.com/the-global-mmo-games-market

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/globalcollect-releases-global-mmo-games-110800947.html

However, "The top 10 countries by average transaction value in video gaming transactions all come from Europe and the Middle East."

Top of all regions is APAC, in terms of MMO consumption, and dwarfs both EU and US MMO usage combined.

Another reason I am baffled why there was no Asian server :neutral_face:

Options