Where is the ink?

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uazole2 wrote: »
    Unless you are an achievement junkie, who absolutely must complete everything to get those points, each character really only needs 6 inks. Once all scripts have been unlocked, you only need 2 grimoires, one each for each weapon type that your build always uses, and 3 inks for each. This assumes that you don't scribe anything until you learn every script (except the master skill script). Any toon that has the same weapon type on both bars can get away with using only 3!

you do know like half of the grimoires are on skill lines that doesnt matter which weapon your using lol

5 of the grimoires are from skill line that can be used any time (mages guild, fighters guild, assault, soul magic)

not to mention if you want to change something you already scribed costs additional ink
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I got 19 ink on Saturday and 11 yesterday during ~ 2.5 and 2 hour farming runs, respectively. I also got 3 from mobs while running dungeons to farm skill points over several hours.

Thats nice!
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    you do know like half of the grimoires are on skill lines that doesnt matter which weapon your using lol

5 of the grimoires are from skill line that can be used any time (mages guild, fighters guild, assault, soul magic)

not to mention if you want to change something you already scribed costs additional ink

In addition, a huge part of the marketing (and what personally would have made the system interesting to me) was the experimentation with thousands of possible combinations. Something the whole misconceived ink system is deliberately rendering impossible.
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've had one overly long grind to unlock a new feature, yes, but what about a second overly long grind to even used the new feature?
    I drink and I stream things.
    Options
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if our individual RNG is tied to our achievements because I notice my characters and accounts with fewer achievement points have horrible luck.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »
    I wonder if our individual RNG is tied to our achievements because I notice my characters and accounts with fewer achievement points have horrible luck.

i can assure you it is not

i have 53k achievement pts and have been having horrible time getting ink
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I spent two hours farming on my crafter and got two ink — a double drop from the same node. Another day I spent half an hour a non crafter while in queue for gray host and got 6 in a half hour. There’s really no rhyme or reason to it. RNG is just too RNG sometimes.

What if it also could drop from resource refinement, at the rate that gold upgrade mats drop? Could alleviate some of the bottleneck in scrying.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are an achievement junkie, who absolutely must complete everything to get those points, each character really only needs 6 inks. Once all scripts have been unlocked, you only need 2 grimoires, one each for each weapon type that your build always uses, and 3 inks for each. This assumes that you don't scribe anything until you learn every script (except the master skill script). Any toon that has the same weapon type on both bars can get away with using only 3!

Very not accurate. On my DK tank I can use UC for minor vuln in one group, minor protection in another, and as EC ice dot for MTing vAS. So it has to be re-scribed depending on the trial/group. For a healer the ST soul skill forgot the name can be either used as a shield+major vitality for heal checks such as tombs in vSS or mag based taunt/pull ability for places like vLC or vDSR. So also has to be re-scribed depending on activity.
    Edited by SeaUnicorn on June 24, 2024 6:59PM
    Options
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaUnicorn wrote: »

Very not accurate. On my DK tank I can use UC for minor vuln in one group, minor protection in another, and as EC ice dot for MTing vAS. So it has to be re-scribed depending on the trial/group. For a healer the ST soul skill forgot the name can be either used as a shield+major vitality for heal checks such as tombs in vSS or mag based taunt/pull ability for places like vLC or vDSR. So also has to be re-scribed depending on activity.

I'd probably just farm Lucent Echoes instead of using EC, tbh...
    Options
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The people that are most likely to use the system long-term aren't the type of people to have a single build per character, especially on their mains.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed my ink. haven't even looked to see how much I have. but I have noticed i get ink occasionally from things like harvesting nodes.

:#
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While this is nice, practical advice, it discounts the way ZOS has been presenting Scribing to us ever since the Big Reveal. Over 4,000 combinations! Mix and match and experiment to your heart’s content! These types of ideas were constantly drilled into us through the presentation and subsequent advertising. However, the scarcity or current expense of ink precludes this from happening for a lot of people, myself included. I didn’t want to have to let someone else like a streamer figure out the best Scribing skill for my chosen weapon for each of my 11 characters so I only have to use three inks to create it PER CHARACTER, I wanted to be able to do that for myself through trial and error, again, per character, which would’ve taken a lot more than just three inks per character. Instead, one of the major advertised features of the system, Experimenting with different combinations, is unavailable to me.
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's crazy RNG. Until today, I'd only received 2 ink (in addition to the 12 from the scribing questline). Tonight, I had ink drop from two ore nodes in a row, plus an ink from a mob. All within the space of 30 minutes. Now it'll probably be days before I get another one. I was just questing in overland, not farming for ink.
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    i can assure you it is not

i have 53k achievement pts and have been having horrible time getting ink
    Seconded. My game masters account has like 1/100 of my gaming account, and yet it tends to have slightly higher rates.
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • Murderhound
    Murderhound
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever received ink from the quest line. I've farmed nodes, mobs, etc not a single ink drop since release. I have completed the entire quest line on my main. I can't even begin to understand how ZoS can even justify this system. Xbox player
    Edited by Murderhound on June 25, 2024 3:38AM
    Options
  • alenae1b14_ESO
    alenae1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I am so disappointed in the miserly ink drops. 33 ink so far, 24 from completing the scribing quests on 2 char. I play daily have all the focus, affix, signature script, (NOT the class mastery just have 16 from turning in Master Writs).

I realize several posters claim to have great ink drops, but nada for me and apparently likewise for a number of people.

Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever received ink from the quest line. I've farmed nodes, mobs, etc not a single ink drop since release. I have completed the entire quest line on my main. I can't even begin to understand how ZoS can even justify this system. Xbox player
    I am so disappointed in the miserly ink drops. 33 ink so far, 24 from completing the scribing quests on 2 char. I play daily have all the focus, affix, signature script, (NOT the class mastery just have 16 from turning in Master Writs).

I realize several posters claim to have great ink drops, but nada for me and apparently likewise for a number of people.

I think it’s time to start filing bug reports — it may be the only way to get this issue noticed. We so far have received no confirmation from ZOS here on the forums as to whether or not there’s a bug with ink drop rates / ink RNG. The only bug they’ve confirmed was bosses not dropping ink, and supposedly “fixed” this.

Something is not adding up. Some players boast of having hundreds of ink, while some of us still have less than 40 (despite deliberately farming for ink daily). We’ve asked if this massive disparity between players is intended, only to be met with radio silence. I fail to see how locking so many players out of using a new system is “intended.”
    Options
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh I've given up, I had amassed 50 inks and having seen the lacklustre power of the grimoires decided to sell them all. If they improve ink drop rates and add some good scripts then I will go back to it in the future. I suggest the best way for the devs to see this isn't working is to stop using the scribing alter.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
    Options
  • Onomog
    Onomog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    I think it’s time to start filing bug reports — it may be the only way to get this issue noticed. We so far have received no confirmation from ZOS here on the forums as to whether or not there’s a bug with ink drop rates / ink RNG. The only bug they’ve confirmed was bosses not dropping ink, and supposedly “fixed” this.

Something is not adding up. Some players boast of having hundreds of ink, while some of us still have less than 40 (despite deliberately farming for ink daily). We’ve asked if this massive disparity between players is intended, only to be met with radio silence. I fail to see how locking so many players out of using a new system is “intended.”

I think you're right. At this stage they are already working on the next thing and the only thing that will get them to look at scribing critically are bug reports. I really don't think they are worried about engagement - people have already bought the chapter, so they've gotten the return for the development. However, they've demonstrated in the past that they're perfectly willing to ignore bug reports if they think it's "working as intended, so don't hold your breath for too long....
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What really pains me is console doesn't have a PTS to play with to practice on and experiment. With the terrible drops rate, I will never get to experience the system fully. Only received 21 ink in total since it dropped on console.

Sad way to market and treat a new feature and leave out 2/3 of your player Base to have a chance at having fun with the new system.🥺

Guess I will have to wait and let the PC master race experience and play with the system so I know what to spend my precious ink on cause lord knows I will never be able to.
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on June 25, 2024 2:35PM
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh I've given up, I had amassed 50 inks and having seen the lacklustre power of the grimoires decided to sell them all. If they improve ink drop rates and add some good scripts then I will go back to it in the future. I suggest the best way for the devs to see this isn't working is to stop using the scribing alter.

Everybody and their dog is running knockbacks and pull scribes in Cyrodiil, so I wouldn't exactly call it lackluster.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new system isn't worth it. The skills are lackluster in pve, useless in pvp, the ink doesn't drop at a rate to play around and test, and the Gold Road main town and castle feel unfinished. The Zone is beautiful, the new mechanics for the World bosses and Mosaic's are awesome, the dungeons and WWB are nice.

The design decision to make zone completion tie into other zones is a complete mess, and hiding a mythic behind a trial feels like the latest failure to understand the player-base (it's become a pattern, and a horrible one if prior posts are any indication).

A game is supposed to be fun, ESO works really hard to not be fun. This game could trade two changes for the entire DLC and return thousands of players - fix heals and remove shared player group buffs. Recognize the communication in groups IS the advantage.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
    Options
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have received confirmation as to the drop rate. It happened in the same breath as the confirmation that the Boss drop rate was bugged. They stated the the bosses needed to be fixed, but otherwise the droprates are working as intended.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on June 25, 2024 3:53PM
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have received confirmation as to the drop rate. It happened in the same breath as the confirmation that the Boss drop rate was bugged. They stated the the bosses needed to be fixed, but otherwise the droprates are working as intended.

The announcement about the boss bug was made when Gold Road launched. Three weeks have passed since then with no further dev comment. Given the growing disparity between consistently “lucky” players and the rest of us, it is QUITE possible that there is an additional RNG bug that was not identified at launch.
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m still very much shell shocked by the horrible RNG experience with the five style pages during the Anniversary event. All this talk about RNG favoring some people but not working on a lot of peoples accounts makes me think that this is a much bigger problem than just the ink or just those style pages. At the very VERY least it is a terrible system to have in place for something so important, and in the case of those style pages, something available for a limited time.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... I decided to try my hand at farming ink this evening.

Spent around 5 hours, doing nothing but farming nodes, including water, nirnroot and other stuff that usually gets left behind. I did Alchemist Surveys. In each zone I cleared the area to and from the survey area. I collected everything that wasn't nailed down... and some of that, too. Opened chests (just in case). Killed mobs.

Got 7 inks.

In 5 hours.

Not sure this is something I want to pursue in the future...
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's going to be a lot of ink by next year when the next batch of Grimoires are released. By then, the price of Luminous Ink at guild traders will plummet. And, anyone who actively plays and has unlocked the ability to find Luminous Ink will likely have unlocked the Skill Style from the 50 ink achievement by then.

The startup of this system is very slow, and I was struggling myself to find the ink for my Scribed abilities, but now that I'm happy with the skills I have, I'm now just stockpiling Luminous Ink for the future. Increasing the drop rate now would give us too much Luminous Ink going forward — what we need is a reason to experiment with different Scripts. What else can we spend Luminous Ink on?
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Options
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.

The system is great, but the ink drop rate is nuts - beyond nuts actually.

I might as well be farming Aetherial Dust.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's going to be a lot of ink by next year when the next batch of Grimoires are released. By then, the price of Luminous Ink at guild traders will plummet. And, anyone who actively plays and has unlocked the ability to find Luminous Ink will likely have unlocked the Skill Style from the 50 ink achievement by then.

The startup of this system is very slow, and I was struggling myself to find the ink for my Scribed abilities, but now that I'm happy with the skills I have, I'm now just stockpiling Luminous Ink for the future. Increasing the drop rate now would give us too much Luminous Ink going forward — what we need is a reason to experiment with different Scripts. What else can we spend Luminous Ink on?

ive barely gotten enough ink to even scribe each skill at least once for the achievement on 1 character, let alone trying to optimize the scribed skills on said character, or scribe any other skills for any of my other 10 characters

i would rather have an overabundance of ink than the current abysmal lack of ink

im not saying ink has to drop at the same rate as say alkahest, but the current drop rate is completely unusable for most people if your only expecting "casual" drops

we are coming up on 4 weeks since release on PC, and im still at ~30 inks earned, 12 of which were from the initial quest

and no, i do not find harvesting nodes for 5 hours a day like a bot to be fun just to get enough ink to actually use the system
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would rather have an overabundance of ink than the current abysmal lack of ink

Players who started with the Scribing system are going to have an overabundance of Luminous Ink in the long term. Part of the design of the system is trying to encourage players to use the system over a long period of time — that includes saving up Luminous Ink for changing their Scribed skills (such as after new Scripts are obtained) or for trying out new Grimoires.

I bet that in two years, most players who started Scribing now will have too much Luminous Ink, while new players starting Scribing for the first time will not have enough Luminous Ink.

I wouldn't mind if ZOS increased the Luminous Ink drop rate and increased the number of sources for acquisition (especially for PvP players), but it's not really going to benefit most of us in the future when we have a lot of Luminous Ink saved up from not utilizing the system for a while.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Options