Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is the ink?

Synapsis123
Synapsis123
✭✭✭✭✭
The ink drop rate off mobs and resources is awful. I tried gathering for an hour and got zero ink. I need 3 ink to make a skill. Why is the drop rate so bad?
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on July 11, 2024 12:36PM
  • Tsukiino
    Tsukiino
    ✭✭✭✭
    The drop rate has to be 1% or below.

I also want to say that ZoS did an oopsie with spaghetti code and the Ink doesn't drop in DLC areas, so only base game + Craglorn. (I've got screenshot of getting Ink in Craglorn from a node)

😂😂😂
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tsukiino wrote: »

I also want to say that ZoS did an oopsie with spaghetti code and the Ink doesn't drop in DLC areas, so only base game + Craglorn. (I've got screenshot of getting Ink in Craglorn from a node)

😂😂😂

How do you know it doesn't drop in DLC?
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got ink in the new trial: Lucent Citadel for what it's worth. I am now the proud owner of (1) Luminous Ink.
    Edited by kevkj on June 4, 2024 6:41AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

😂😂😂

I got it from West Weald and Wrothgar today. It is definitely not base game only.

ETA: Drop rate from nodes was 0.6% for me in 1k pulls on PTS, drop rate from enemies 0.2% (after they raised it — it was 0 from 1k enemies initially). Use Plentiful Harvest if farming. Surveys did not appear to give ink on PTS.
    Edited by virtus753 on June 4, 2024 7:15AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop rate is so low that I do think it would actually be better to do Scribing quests on an alt too and it would be faster lol. I still have 12 from the main Scribing quests as before I started to experiment to try out new skills I googled where to farm ink and it confirmed my suspicion. Basically low drop rate stops me from playing around with the new system as I am not gonna waste rare items. At this point if I were to experiment with those I am more likely to go to PTS lol :D

I do hope that at some point they will either make ink drop curated so we could at least have 1 guaranteed per day or at least it would be similar to style material drop rate from daily quest reward boxes.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on June 4, 2024 7:53AM
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh if drop rates are that low then most people are going to lose interest in it very fast, from the one skill I've managed to scribe it's not very powerful anyway and in no way will replace class skills.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. Free trader. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama-free social group enjoying PVE questing, PvP, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t know why they made the drop rates so bad. Can only assume crown crates are going to come with ink drops. Maybe instead of the useless pots we will get ink. 🙌

@ZOS_Icy are the drops meant to be this bad?
    Edited by Yamenstein on June 4, 2024 2:13PM
    Crown Crates are a trap. Don't fall for the gamble! Balance? What Balance? Balance, smellance.
    Necro for them RP feels.
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 9 inks from Scribing questline and 1 from a mob in Cyrodiil.
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    ETA: Drop rate from nodes was 0.6% for me in 1k pulls on PTS, drop rate from enemies 0.2% (after they raised it — it was 0 from 1k enemies initially). Use Plentiful Harvest if farming. Surveys did not appear to give ink on PTS.

Thank you for the numbers.
    They really look sad...

• PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent an hour exploring around Reaper's March, picking up every gathering node and defeating every enemy I found, to get 3 ink at most. Getting 3 was lucky because, as it turns out, the double-yield gathering passive works on ink as well, as I had 2 ink from a gathering node and then later 1 ink from an enemy.

I really do not wish to be spending an entire hour doing things like this just to be able to make *one* whole new skill, especially when I have 19 other characters I wish to play with this on. Right now, my alts are just going to unlock scribing and that's it. :/
    Edited by PurpleScroll on June 4, 2024 9:52AM
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

😂😂😂

I got it from West Weald and Wrothgar today. It is definitely not base game only.

I got ink out of backpack in West Weald
    rmi26m4vj31c.png
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    rmi26m4vj31c.png

Okay, I had to see if you can also steal ink as well then. Guess what? YOU CAN! I was just going around all the urns in Necrom and came by *TWO* in a single urn! Get stealing, folks! XD

wkt7l9c9iekw.png
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rmi26m4vj31c.png

Okay, I had to see if you can also steal ink as well then. Guess what? YOU CAN! I was just going around all the urns in Necrom and came by *TWO* in a single urn! Get stealing, folks! XD

wkt7l9c9iekw.png

Huh, Sailenmora Crypts might be the place again :)
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it will be expensive in traders, might be a good addition to us that like to farm monsters and nodes.

If Ink drops in IC and IC sewers would be great you get Telwar and chance for ink when farming mobs.
    Edited by XSTRONG on June 4, 2024 11:23AM
  • LyricsEcho
    LyricsEcho
    ✭✭✭
    Drop rate is so incredibly low that I just made one scribe and moved on to doing my regular dailies.
  • SithDi
    SithDi
    ✭✭
    Any confirmation that it drops for alts without doing any scribing quests on that toon? (but you've unlocked it on one toon).
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SithDi wrote: »
    Any confirmation that it drops for alts without doing any scribing quests on that toon? (but you've unlocked it on one toon).

Yes, my screenshot above is nothing done on alt.

Edit: Posted this comment and got another one from same backpack :o This char is the one that did everything
    lf37kwub3tq0.png
    Edited by EF321 on June 4, 2024 12:06PM
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had time to run the Scribing quest yet, but I plan to as soon as I am able.
    Do you need to do the quest before Inks will drop? Or is it possible that I *might* find Ink before running the quest?
    (in the same way you can find Antiquity leads without having done the Antiquarian quest.)
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • SithDi
      SithDi
      ✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »
      I haven't had time to run the Scribing quest yet, but I plan to as soon as I am able.
      Do you need to do the quest before Inks will drop? Or is it possible that I *might* find Ink before running the quest?
      (in the same way you can find Antiquity leads without having done the Antiquarian quest.)

No - you have to unlock the Collections: Upgrade Sigil of hte luminary Indrik (For ink from mobs) and Sigil of the luminary Netch (for ink from harvesting nodes)
      But you don't have to do the other lines, just those two.
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      SithDi wrote: »
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »

No - you have to unlock the Collections: Upgrade Sigil of hte luminary Indrik (For ink from mobs) and Sigil of the luminary Netch (for ink from harvesting nodes)
      But you don't have to do the other lines, just those two.

Thanks!
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • BlueRaven
        BlueRaven
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Reading all this I am a bit confused. I have completed the entire scribing quest line on a single character. So on alts, just do the intro (second era) quest and they can start picking up inks? ,
      • EF321
        EF321
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        BlueRaven wrote: »
        Reading all this I am a bit confused. I have completed the entire scribing quest line on a single character. So on alts, just do the intro (second era) quest and they can start picking up inks? ,

You don't need to do anything extra for alt to get inks/scripts, if you got upgrade in your collection, it works. I've been getting ink (just one) and multiple scripts on characters that did nothing for scribing.

You need intro quest to get access to altar and actually use scribing on alts.
      • ApoAlaia
        ApoAlaia
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Yamenstein wrote: »
        Don’t know why they made the drop rates so bad. [...]

This is one contributing factor:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/659595/west-weald-thats-all-to-explore-for-the-next-12-months#latest

The chapter might seem a bit thin on the ground however it does have a trick up its sleeve: parallel grinds aligned with other grinds that are in turn grouped up as multigrinds enclosed in various overarching metagrinds that ultimately coalesce into a single grindgularity... feed the anomaly enough free time and it will collapse unto itself.
      • StihlReign
        StihlReign
        ✭✭✭✭
        New zone looks awesome :) , the ink grind is going to be a challenge. We need a double or triple resource weekend ASAP.

How can we show-off and test the new scribing Live if there's so little ink? (I've had 2 drop)

Lower the rate later...we need more ink now!
        "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
      • virtus753
        virtus753
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        StihlReign wrote: »
        New zone looks awesome :) , the ink grind is going to be a challenge. We need a double or triple resource weekend ASAP.

How can we show-off and test the new scribing Live if there's so little ink? (I've had 2 drop)

Lower the rate later...we need more ink now!

They just had the Explorer’s Event, and Zeal of Zenithar is coming up (which doesn’t increase resources but does save you 10% off Grimoire and Script prices). They could run an impromptu 5-day resources mini-event, but it would be packing the schedule a bit tight. And they’d also have to run it once for PC and another for console due to the different launch schedules.

We told them at the beginning of the PTS (well, once it became safe to test) that there was a concern about ink drop rates. We suggested that they increase the drop rate on enemies and allow Plentiful Harvest to proc, both of which they did. (They seem to have decided not to grant the request to allow surveys to give it, though.) So they did make some effort to improve the situation in direct response to feedback, and I want to acknowledge that. That said, I’m still not sure it’s enough to sustain the interest in those “nearly 4,000” (but somehow also “over 4,000”) possible combinations for Scribing in this initial phase when people are excited about all the possibilities but don’t have the resources to actually realize them.

Reducing all ink costs to zero for a short period of time on launch might have helped, like they have done a few times for respec costs when they’ve overhauled skills or CP. But this wasn’t an already established system they changed, and I think in the end they did want people who want to get into this system to have to “chase the Ink,” so to speak.
      • Necrotech_Master
        Necrotech_Master
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

the ability to get ink as drops is tied to earning the wing of indrik and wing of netch, which are both "account upgrades" so only 1 character has to complete those for all of your characters to earn ink

for alts, in order for them to unlock the scribing they only have to complete the "second era of scribing" quest and then of course buy all of the grimoires and scripts
        plays PC/NA
        handle @Necrotech_Master
        active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
      • zaria
        zaria
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ApoAlaia wrote: »
        Yamenstein wrote: »
        Don’t know why they made the drop rates so bad. [...]

This is one contributing factor:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/659595/west-weald-thats-all-to-explore-for-the-next-12-months#latest

The chapter might seem a bit thin on the ground however it does have a trick up its sleeve: parallel grinds aligned with other grinds that are in turn grouped up as multigrinds enclosed in various overarching metagrinds that ultimately coalesce into a single grindgularity... feed the anomaly enough free time and it will collapse unto itself.
        There is only one thing to do grind on.
        qNOwWGO.gif

Grinding just make you go in circles.
        Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
      • yadibroz
        yadibroz
        ✭✭✭
        I spent an hour exploring around Reaper's March, picking up every gathering node and defeating every enemy I found, to get 3 ink at most. Getting 3 was lucky because, as it turns out, the double-yield gathering passive works on ink as well, as I had 2 ink from a gathering node and then later 1 ink from an enemy.

I really do not wish to be spending an entire hour doing things like this just to be able to make *one* whole new skill, especially when I have 19 other characters I wish to play with this on. Right now, my alts are just going to unlock scribing and that's it. :/

I knew there will be a catch so will skip the dlc until necromancer and this is fix, they can't do a good job
      • yadibroz
        yadibroz
        ✭✭✭

the ability to get ink as drops is tied to earning the wing of indrik and wing of netch, which are both "account upgrades" so only 1 character has to complete those for all of your characters to earn ink

for alts, in order for them to unlock the scribing they only have to complete the "second era of scribing" quest and then of course buy all of the grimoires and scripts

It should it free for all characters not buy all of them
      • Necrotech_Master
        Necrotech_Master
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        yadibroz wrote: »

It should it free for all characters not buy all of them

no extra system has been "free" for alts

antiquities still has to do intro and level it per toon
        psijic unlock is per toon
        dark brotherhood skill line is per toon
        thieves guild skill line is per toon
        companions are unlocked per toon
        tribute is unlocked per toon

while some of the features of the various systems are acct wide (actual antiquity leads are acct wide so can still get them on alts, companions dont have to be re-leveled and keepsakes are acct wide, tribute decks are unlocked acct wide) there has been no system that is fully unlocked for your entire account from the get go after doing it on 1 character
        plays PC/NA
        handle @Necrotech_Master
        active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities