The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"You will not be able to outfit your character in class styles other than your current class."

  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.

    as far as i know only the chest pieces and weapons have the class symbols.

    the Soulcleaver mask style does not and it's a style a lot of people want,
    because it is a mask and currently the only head style that can show off hair.

    so that's a pretty bad reason to not let us use the styles on any characters.
    Edited by LunaFlora on January 29, 2024 10:43PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

    🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.

    as far as i know only the chest pieces and weapons have the class symbols.

    the Soulcleaver mask style does not and it's a style a lot of people want,
    because it is a mask and currently the only head style that can show off hair.

    so that's a pretty bad reason to not let us use the styles on any characters.

    This was actually a pretty bad response IMO. Or unclear. Are you suggesting to just keep the chests and weapons class-specific then? If not, and you think any class should walk around with the insignias of the other classes at will, we will just have to agree to disagree.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't necessarily disagree with the OP, limited styles are not unprecedented. There are outfit styles that can only be bought with tel var or AP and only worn by PvPers. And ZOS is well known for their gender locked cosmetics, so it should be of no surprise to anyone that they will continue releasing class/race/gender/content type exclusive items going forward.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.

    as far as i know only the chest pieces and weapons have the class symbols.

    the Soulcleaver mask style does not and it's a style a lot of people want,
    because it is a mask and currently the only head style that can show off hair.

    so that's a pretty bad reason to not let us use the styles on any characters.

    This was actually a pretty bad response IMO. Or unclear. Are you suggesting to just keep the chests and weapons class-specific then? If not, and you think any class should walk around with the insignias of the other classes at will, we will just have to agree to disagree.

    it would be fine to walk around with the other class symbols.
    we can already do it with the alliance styles and the Warden costume.

    if the class outfit styles are only class locked due to the symbols then yes i would say keep the chests and weapons locked.
    still really weird to have any of it be locked though!
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

    🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.

    as far as i know only the chest pieces and weapons have the class symbols.

    the Soulcleaver mask style does not and it's a style a lot of people want,
    because it is a mask and currently the only head style that can show off hair.

    so that's a pretty bad reason to not let us use the styles on any characters.

    This was actually a pretty bad response IMO. Or unclear. Are you suggesting to just keep the chests and weapons class-specific then? If not, and you think any class should walk around with the insignias of the other classes at will, we will just have to agree to disagree.

    Out of curiosity, what's wrong with that?

    We can have Argonians wear the armor of Dunmer. We can have Dominion die-hards wearing full EP armor. We can have Daedra-worshipping Dunmer dressing up in the full livery of the Divine Prosecution. That "but the specificity" ship has sailed long ago.

    I'll give you the weapons could stay specific. They're all exactly the same, save for the emblem anyway. But what's the problem with the armor being general. And as has been pointed out, the only piece for each that has an emblem is the chest page.

    But if I can get my main to walk around with a prominently-displayed and obvious Eagle on his chest instead of a dragon like it should be, what's the issue with a slight embossed bear paw that is tough to make out?
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    I’m going against the grain here, it’s called a class style for a reason, pleased each class can show off its own identity, there’s bucket loads of other motifs to pick from, class style for a class is fine by me. Other games have it, I’m just surprised it’s taken 10 years to do it here.
    Let the hate commence!

    I already agreed with this as well. Considering they have the class icons on them (at least the Warden set does, not sure about others), I would think they should stay unique.

    as far as i know only the chest pieces and weapons have the class symbols.

    the Soulcleaver mask style does not and it's a style a lot of people want,
    because it is a mask and currently the only head style that can show off hair.

    so that's a pretty bad reason to not let us use the styles on any characters.

    This was actually a pretty bad response IMO. Or unclear. Are you suggesting to just keep the chests and weapons class-specific then? If not, and you think any class should walk around with the insignias of the other classes at will, we will just have to agree to disagree.

    it would be fine to walk around with the other class symbols.
    we can already do it with the alliance styles and the Warden costume.

    if the class outfit styles are only class locked due to the symbols then yes i would say keep the chests and weapons locked.
    still really weird to have any of it be locked though!

    Well if your argument is mostly about the helm a lot of people really want, I think they should just create a motif coming up with that type of style anyone can use and leave the class sets alone.

    It sounds like most people are upset because this is a motif that has a style that isn't comparable to anything else asthetically, which I can understand. A basic mask with hair should be something anyone could wear.
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet they actually cannot allow other classes to equip the styles because it's somehow linked on the backend with equipping the class sets.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kevkj wrote: »
    I bet they actually cannot allow other classes to equip the styles because it's somehow linked on the backend with equipping the class sets.

    I doubt it. You can actually preview them on any class on live currently.

    This was a deliberate decision to bar them from other classes.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can have Mirri put on the Speaker of the DB's dark robes, prance around Alinor with a shield featuring a blue lion while being affiliated with the Pact and even don the Ordinator's gear in Vivec, but I can't wear a cool helmet because someone decided it should be associated with templars? I don't care for the NB mask, but I was looking forward to combining items from the necro, templar and arcanist sets.

    The class sets should obviously be class-locked because their effects are related to class skills. Style pages are cosmetic, a way for us to show creativity while hiding the (often hideous) real gear beneath. So what if other games have cosmetics that are specific to class or race or whatever? ESO doesn't have to follow a bad idea just because others are doing it.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • verminjerky
    verminjerky
    ✭✭✭
    Adding my voice to the chorus of negative feedback on this.

    Respectfully, this is not a good call on ZOS's part.

    I don't want them, I'm not even going to bother to get them. Having outfit styles I can't use on all my characters is a poor use of my time relative to getting ones I can.

    I would only wind up frustrated and disappointed.

    It's also very antithetical to the "play how you want" paradigm of ESO.

    This is strictly character customization, to severely limit it is very anti-play-how-you-want. I was down with the class-specific sets but I'm firmly putting my foot down on class-specific styles and will not be taking part.
  • verminjerky
    verminjerky
    ✭✭✭
    ESO doesn't have to follow a bad idea just because others are doing it.

    This. It stinks in other games and one of the things that's so inviting about ESO is that it's never existed in ESO. Your character can look like themselves rather than like a stereotype, and it's amazing!

    As one friend put it, you can make a dagger look like a mace in this game. And we love that about it.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to reread the original post a couple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.
    So, what da heck?

    For a major MMO that touts one of it's selling points as "Play how you want" with TONS of customization options for character appearances across all races this is a strange decision...
    again, WTH?

    I main a Warden and I've styled her many different looks the way *I* wanted.
    Which ironically enough, is the same reason I did not ask someone else to design her style and looks for me. /s

    This decision is truly baffling and I sincerely hope it is not a prelude to other such class-only styles in the future...
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on January 29, 2024 11:26PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Dayhjawk
    Dayhjawk
    ✭✭✭
    I been waiting for these to start dropping, and now I can't use them only other characters?! well there's goes my reason for doing IA. I don't get this...........
  • AltmerGF
    AltmerGF
    ✭✭✭
    Really hope they change this. The idea that it's to somehow give classes a unique identity is a little strange to me, I can use Covenant style on my Dominion character, why is fashion arbitrarily being locked to game mechanics now?
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions should be able to use these styles as well

    ffxc76z51qko.jpg
    PC-EU @maitsukas

    Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

    Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is weird for someone to wear the armor style of a class they are not but I don’t see why it should be locked. We normally can’t tell what class someone is unless they make it very obvious (style choices, naming, casting skills) so there’s no loss at letting a nightblade wear the templar outfit or a dk wear cro.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I think it is weird for someone to wear the armor style of a class they are not but I don’t see why it should be locked. We normally can’t tell what class someone is unless they make it very obvious (style choices, naming, casting skills) so there’s no loss at letting a nightblade wear the templar outfit or a dk wear cro.

    Pretty much the only reason I don't care that much if they made these available for everyone. Again, I like the idea of class-specific cosmetics. But since characters can already look like whatever, I wouldn't care if the restriction was lifted even though I'd find it bizarre to use another class' sigil.
  • Lags
    Lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Style Pages for Class Sets are now available in the Infinite Archive to collect. Style Pages are curated and will drop for your class first. Other Style Pages will drop after a set is complete. All pages are usable, but you will not be able to outfit your character in class styles other than your current class."

    So. What exactly is the point of the style page, then? With every other page, be that style page or motif page, you can wear whatever you please regardless of class, race or equipment.
    Why is this the exception? What is there to gain from this? The main reason most people have been looking forward to the class sets as style pages is, primarily, the nightblade mask. And most people can't access that because they need to be a nightblade to equip it, exactly like the armor piece?

    This goes against the idea of style/motif pages to begin with.

    have to agree this is terrible, was deff looking forward to using the nightblade mask. 90% of the stuff they come out with is so lame, but the mask is a bit different. Guess ill only be using on my nb, which i think ill be playing more next update after reading the patch notes.
    Edited by Lags on January 30, 2024 12:06AM
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they truly want it to be distinc betwwen class, maybe have it free to change outfit to if you are from that class? Or have a second class specific version wich as a low glow of the class sigil or some rune in the class color theme? This would allow it to keep class specific flavor while allowing all player to use the desired style.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    Soarora wrote: »
    I think it is weird for someone to wear the armor style of a class they are not but I don’t see why it should be locked. We normally can’t tell what class someone is unless they make it very obvious (style choices, naming, casting skills) so there’s no loss at letting a nightblade wear the templar outfit or a dk wear cro.

    Pretty much the only reason I don't care that much if they made these available for everyone. Again, I like the idea of class-specific cosmetics. But since characters can already look like whatever, I wouldn't care if the restriction was lifted even though I'd find it bizarre to use another class' sigil.

    You can already wear gear bearing the emblem of guilds that your character isn't a part of, so having a different class's emblem on your armor isn't that much of a stretch.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    please keep this restriction, it's a good idea
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tensar wrote: »
    please keep this restriction, it's a good idea

    Why?
  • JakaWild
    JakaWild
    ✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    Guess I'm the only person here who likes some class-unique motifs in MMOs. One won't kill anyone.

    That said people can already look like other classes, themactically, with the motifs we have so the sanctity of these sets is a bit strange.

    Nah you aren't the only one. Its honestly about time they do more class specific things. Hopefully Zos sticks to their decision.

    Tbh zos has cultivated the responses you see here. Years of "you should be able to have & do everything" has ruined people's perception of what multi-class mmos are suppose to be like.

    You'd think people don't have access to hundreds & hundreds of motif's usable on any class based on these comments. Add something unique to classes? no way! we want bland and everything to be the same! bah.
  • Bjergenen
    Bjergenen
    ✭✭
    There wouldn't be so much outrage if each style was similar with only class sigil for each but we have really top tier looking styles (for my anyways) like soulcleaver and basalt blooded and awful like wrathsun and monolith of storms ones... keeping it that way really hits RP and fashion community for no reason.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, if something is already named "class style", you should assume it is a class specific thing. But if you're advocating against it, then I don't want to ever hear you talk about "class identity" ever. You guys should really make it clear of what you want. I've been hearing about class identity this, class identity that for years now. And now when the game is actively enforcing via appearance, you guys are driven mad.
    I love ESO, but the community on this forum are all over the place with their values. Pick one, it's either enforcing class identity with unique feel to them, or class is just a template and everything should be unified.
  • verminjerky
    verminjerky
    ✭✭✭
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    You guys should really make it clear of what you want. I've been hearing about class identity this, class identity that for years now. And now when the game is actively enforcing via appearance, you guys are driven mad.

    1. We aren't a monolith. People have differing opinions all the time.

    2. No one was talking about locking styles behind class identity. Class identity always meant differing play styles and strengths.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    You guys should really make it clear of what you want. I've been hearing about class identity this, class identity that for years now. And now when the game is actively enforcing via appearance, you guys are driven mad.

    1. We aren't a monolith. People have differing opinions all the time.

    2. No one was talking about locking styles behind class identity. Class identity always meant differing play styles and strengths.

    Not every single person's own opinion is a monolith, but the majority of opinion is. If the majority of people just keep talking about the same topic over and over again, years after years, then it is a monolith.

    Also, no one was talking about locking styles behind class identity, but also, if something is already named "class style", with a specific color glow to that specific class, it is obviously tied to that class identity.

    If you're saying class identity always, and only meant differing play styles and strengths, then with the new scribing system, we should be able to change the appearance of our skill to the one of different class. Let's have Hurricane, but with spiky armor on the back. Let's have Wild Guardian, but it's a melee storm atronach following you around. Let's have Sun Fire, but it now shoots green triangles instead. Those changes will 100% not affect play styles and strengths, just the appearance and the uniqueness of the classes are touched.

    If you have problem with my previous take, then imagine seeing a green glowing PvPer from a far, but then they dunk on you with their dragon wings. I won't be mad, I'd just be confused to why it is called "class style" instead of "LED style".
    Edited by Pr0Skygon on January 30, 2024 7:02AM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JakaWild wrote: »
    AScarlato wrote: »
    Guess I'm the only person here who likes some class-unique motifs in MMOs. One won't kill anyone.

    That said people can already look like other classes, themactically, with the motifs we have so the sanctity of these sets is a bit strange.

    Nah you aren't the only one. Its honestly about time they do more class specific things. Hopefully Zos sticks to their decision.

    Tbh zos has cultivated the responses you see here. Years of "you should be able to have & do everything" has ruined people's perception of what multi-class mmos are suppose to be like.

    You'd think people don't have access to hundreds & hundreds of motif's usable on any class based on these comments. Add something unique to classes? no way! we want bland and everything to be the same! bah.

    Many of us have played plenty of traditional MMO's where things were class locked. The restrictive, class-specific cliche's in them were stifling. (And still are, in many instances.)

    ESO is a breath of fresh air by comparison. I don't understand why people want to go back to the stone age of MMO's, when this game offers so much more. Many people are tired of what MMO's are "supposed to look like" and having to dress a class according to someones narrow ideas and limited imagination. ZOS is a leader in breaking this trend, and its a good thing.

    ESO never had these problems. Now, people want to introduce them, literally begging to have restrictions placed on them.

    You want bland? Bland is MMO's where every single gear style is class restricted.

    People aren't reacting the way they are because there aren't hundreds of styles already in the game. They are reacting like this because they see the beginnings of a bad idea beginning to form in the minds of the developers, based on the requests of a few, and they want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

    This is a move backwards compared to the rather progressive style system we have in this game, and I don't blame anyone for objecting to it.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    .
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    You guys should really make it clear of what you want. I've been hearing about class identity this, class identity that for years now. And now when the game is actively enforcing via appearance, you guys are driven mad.

    1. We aren't a monolith. People have differing opinions all the time.

    2. No one was talking about locking styles behind class identity. Class identity always meant differing play styles and strengths.

    Not every single person's own opinion is a monolith, but the majority of opinion is. If the majority of people just keep talking about the same topic over and over again, years after years, then it is a monolith.

    Also, no one was talking about locking styles behind class identity, but also, if something is already named "class style", with a specific color glow to that specific class, it is obviously tied to that class identity.

    If you're saying class identity always, and only meant differing play styles and strengths, then with the new scribing system, we should be able to change the appearance of our skill to the one of different class. Let's have Hurricane, but with spiky armor on the back. Let's have Wild Guardian, but it's a melee storm atronach following you around. Let's have Sun Fire, but it now shoots green triangles instead. Those changes will 100% not affect play styles and strengths, just the appearance and the uniqueness of the classes are touched.

    If you have problem with my previous take, then imagine seeing a green glowing PvPer from a far, but then they dunk on you with their dragon wings. I won't be mad, I'd just be confused to why it is called "class style" instead of "LED style".

    the class styles don't have effects, just the sets.
    unless it's not possible to preview the effects you believe they have.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

    🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
Sign In or Register to comment.