Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Official Feedback Thread For ESO 2024 Global Reveal- The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Road!

• ThelerisTelvanni
    ThelerisTelvanni
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I imagine Skill Styling is a lot like using the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear collectible. Can we expect to see the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear collectible moved to the same category as the new Skill Styles, rather than being alone in the Special category?

As of now, there are tons of Customized Actions in their own category, the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear in its own Special category, and we'll probably see Skill Styles in their own category. That's three different categories for collectibles which all do vaguely similar things, i.e. change the appearance of some action or ability. Maybe all three (Skill Styles, Customized Actions, Slate-Gray Summoned Bear) could be moved to the same category?

If it is as simple as the color of the bear it will flop.

The fact that replacement animations cost Crowns was already a travesty. Just making things be colored differently will add minimal value.

Here's what we know about Skill Styling:
    k6n13rxkakcp.png

I believe that this is effectively an extension of the Customized Actions system. We know that they are collectibles, so they can be equipped in a similar manner. This also makes them similar to the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear collectible.

Skill Styles are referred to as "color variations" of abilities. When they say "there's a lot more planned for them beyond the Chapter", they might be hinting at an extension of the system — remember how the Recall animation was initially only recolored, but then entirely new Recall animations were made? I wouldn't be surprised if Skill Styles eventually replaced more than just colors.

I'd imagine that Skill Styles theoretically could change the look and sound of skills. I'd imagine at launch, we'll just have basic recolors, but maybe in the future, we could get Skill Styles to do things like change the models of abilities like combat pets or transformation abilities. Maybe it could change the model of the Silver Bolts crossbow, or other similar abilities which hide your weapon.

I heard they would be earnable in-game, but they do say "more to come" thus leaving the door wide open for Crown versions. That said, my comment was more that customization should not cost Crowns.

Even getting a shave and a haircut costs Crowns!

These are purely cosmetic things, and in any game where there is no mandatory subscription there has to be some form of revenue generation, and it's highly preferable for that to relate to paying for cosmetic things otherwise we go down the Pay to Win route.

Well the sub is almost mandatory... Bysides if you make ingame rewards for playing new content, the player already pays for it. You have to buy the DLC/Chapter or you need ESO+ to play the DLC content. So both ways you have payed for the content. There is no need to put everything behind the crownstore paywall. Without the heavy monetisation of the Crown Store TESO might be a far better game. But I doubt they will ever change this. Sadly. I played TESO at release but the Crown Store drove me away. As well as some shortcomings of the bace game. I still do not like the crown store, but the devs make my stay worthwile. At least for the time beeing. But I'd love to have more zones to explore and some solo dungeons that are made more with exploration in mind. Just fighting enemys wave after wave is kind of boring. I need something to discover! Cool locations, some lore stuff, nice cosmetics and so on.
    Edited by ThelerisTelvanni on January 29, 2024 12:48AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I heard they would be earnable in-game, but they do say "more to come" thus leaving the door wide open for Crown versions. That said, my comment was more that customization should not cost Crowns.

Even getting a shave and a haircut costs Crowns!

These are purely cosmetic things, and in any game where there is no mandatory subscription there has to be some form of revenue generation, and it's highly preferable for that to relate to paying for cosmetic things otherwise we go down the Pay to Win route.

Yeah, but doesn't it always seem like the in-game stuff ends up being pretty bland while the pay cosmetics are shiny prismatic ones? I mean, you can pretty much guess that if someone has a flashy mount with fancy mounting animations and beams of light and lots of noise that it came from the Crown Store, likely Crown Crates.

I think we can expect that with spell customization. In the game, we can earn one or two colors, but in the Crown Store, we will be able to get golden shiny ones that dance and swirl before our eyes.

Holding the "good stuff" for the Crown Store? :neutral:

Edit: reworded

I guess that's down to basic market forces. If they put all the flashy stuff in the game and the plain stuff in the Crown Store, who would buy it?

Not entirely. MMOs don't face "market forces" the same ways toothpaste does. Much less competition. Players tied to what they have built. Etc.

That said, monetization can and has killed MMOs or at least harmed some deeply.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • joaotextor
    joaotextor
    ✭✭
    Hanoan wrote: »
    No pain, no gain. No overland difficulty options, no buy.

Exactly. I did quit after finishing High Isle and went to Guild Wars 2. Man, the overland in that game is PERFECT, although I prefer the lore and ambiance of Elder Scrolls, but without a boost in the difficulty, it just seems boring.