Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

I think its clear that there is a substantial proportion of the playerbase who doesn't want the extra glowing effect, and considering the original behavior of the skill as it was designed, there was no extra glow effect until it was active. This is especially a problem with the gloambound arms pack as some people have mentioned. It conflicts with a visual effect that we did pay extra for. Therefore it would be reasonable to change the behavior to restore the base character aesthetic. At minimum the glow should disappear when sheathed, but I think my preferred solution would be only have it glow once you have at least one stack (for the sake of PVP, it can't be a fully toggleable visual, when there are stacks there needs to be a visual indication for enemies).
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on August 22, 2023 6:41AM
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

I really dislike it. It looks bad on a bow - too distracting and covering a sizable part of my small wood elf when the weapon is sheathed (Switching to the other bar won't help. It's a bow/bow toon). Not to mention red does not go with chosen theme/outfit of my character.

It's each player's choice whether to use permanent glowing effects on items or not (arms packs and such). I'm fine with abilities' effects while in combat, but this is forcing it on everyone even if a player is simply banking.

It's kind of ridiculous that players now are forced to unslot an ability while not in combat.

Edit: I agree with the previous poster. The glow should disappear when the weapon is sheathed.
    Edited by ESO_player123 on August 22, 2023 6:59AM
    Options
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i understand that some players are unhappy with how it works, do we really have to turn this into "Us vs Them"?
    Right now players like me, who like how this glow are happy while players who dont like it are unhappy and want to fix it. Which is fine, but why are ppl suggesting "fixes" that will only turn the tables? Like what will change if the glow dissapears or works only in combat? Only the sides. It will still be the same, one side happy while other is not.

Its rather sad that we are "community" till there is something that ppl disagree with, then its turning into "Us vs Them". While its not always possible to make everyone happy, it can definitely work in this sittuation. The only thing thats has to be done is to give option to choose how we want visuals from skills work. For example:
    - On / Visuals are visible all the time
    - Combat Only / Visuals are only in combat
    - Unsheathed / Visuals are only visible when we hold weapons
    - Off / Special Visuals are off

And thats it. The only ppl unhappy would be the ones who dont like which option is default. And this could work with other skills too. Sorc's Bound Armaments, DK's Molten Weapons etc.
    The main point in Fashion is freedom. Lets not take away something that makes others happy please.

In addition the visual of Grim Focus isnt visible to other players (It changed in U39, now it works like most other skills), which is really dissapointing when u use it as a part of the outfit. I would really like if that could go back to being visible for everyone while also adding option to control how visuals work.

And thats it i guess.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
    Options
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthtur wrote: »
    While i understand that some players are unhappy with how it works, do we really have to turn this into "Us vs Them"?
    Right now players like me, who like how this glow are happy while players who dont like it are unhappy and want to fix it. Which is fine, but why are ppl suggesting "fixes" that will only turn the tables? Like what will change if the glow dissapears or works only in combat? Only the sides. It will still be the same, one side happy while other is not.
    While I understand what you are saying, no one was complaining when the glow was visible only when the effect was active (mostly in combat). As in before this patch.

I do not really care how it's going to be fixed. I'm fine with toggles too. I just dislike that we (those that do not like the new glow) have to adjust the looks of our toons. In my case it's not just the look. As I mentioned in my previous post, the glow on the bow covers a sizable part of my small wood elf toon. That looks especially ridiculous in darker places (as in all caves/dark buildings).

Fortunately, I'm on PC. So, I dedicated a slot in my Dressing Room addon for a loadout without the offending ability.

Edit: this is how it looks like. May be, someone likes this, but I do not.
    3MRtDN3.png
    Edited by ESO_player123 on August 22, 2023 7:37AM
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a usability perspective the glow had a purpose, to tell you that the ability was active. It doesn't give you any visual indicator of anything now as its always on.To make it useful it needs to tell the user something - maybe in this case that the proc is ready. I know some people like the fashion side of it, and some don't but it needs to be considered about what it was originally intended for
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for chiming in Kevin.

My reasons further spelled out: For one, it's the inconvenience of needing to actively unslot nad later reslot this skill whenever I want to take a screenshot or take the character to an RP event, but even that ties into the far greater reason of character and power fantasy and visuals.

People call it fashion scrolls for a reason. Many of us have distinct ideas about how our characters look and work and spend hours and money to get them where we want them to be. And for a very, very significant part of us, glowing lights are an absolute no go - just like glowing mounts or glowing skins and yes, also the glowing weapons or armour from the crown store packs or opal style pages that people bring up here as a plus.

Now, I don't begrudge people their glowy over the top stuff. Who cares if someone likes an atronach bear, it's not like I have to use it myself. Slimecraw makes your arms pulse every 10 seconds? Ugh, but fine, I don't need to use that set. But we're not talking about some irrelevant cosmetic or even a single monster set, we're talking about a core ability of an entire class, and ironically it's even the class with the otherwise most subdued in combat effects. It's not something we can just 'get used to', it's something that will make many people not use the skill and quite potentially even turn them away from those characters, like it was with Bound Armour back then.

So please - keep permanent glowy cosmetics cosmetic. Don't attach them to core abilities that equate to shooting yourself in the foot if you do without them.

To me, this feels like the Jabs visual change except infinitely worse and it affects my main, and that one already almost made me stop playing templars.
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »

Thank you for chiming in Kevin.

My reasons further spelled out: For one, it's the inconvenience of needing to actively unslot nad later reslot this skill whenever I want to take a screenshot or take the character to an RP event, but even that ties into the far greater reason of character and power fantasy and visuals.

People call it fashion scrolls for a reason. Many of us have distinct ideas about how our characters look and work and spend hours and money to get them where we want them to be. And for a very, very significant part of us, glowing lights are an absolute no go - just like glowing mounts or glowing skins and yes, also the glowing weapons or armour from the crown store packs or opal style pages that people bring up here as a plus.

Now, I don't begrudge people their glowy over the top stuff. Who cares if someone likes an atronach bear, it's not like I have to use it myself. Slimecraw makes your arms pulse every 10 seconds? Ugh, but fine, I don't need to use that set. But we're not talking about some irrelevant cosmetic or even a single monster set, we're talking about a core ability of an entire class, and ironically it's even the class with the otherwise most subdued in combat effects. It's not something we can just 'get used to', it's something that will make many people not use the skill and quite potentially even turn them away from those characters, like it was with Bound Armour back then.

So please - keep permanent glowy cosmetics cosmetic. Don't attach them to core abilities that equate to shooting yourself in the foot if you do without them.

To me, this feels like the Jabs visual change except infinitely worse and it affects my main, and that one already almost made me stop playing templars.

It's kindda weird to give a permanent glow to a class that is thematically a sneaky rogue class.
    I'm actually kindda annoyed by Kevin's response. He sees there are people who like it and people who don't but the natural conclusion that the solution is thus an option/toggle apparently doesn't come to mind.

P.S. It looks surprisingly good on my opal staff wielding, heavy armor wearing high elf vampire. Colors nicely with the new purple/pink glowy eyes. And I still want it to be an option!
    Edited by Snamyap on August 22, 2023 9:20AM
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’d prefer not to have the red glow. It takes away from the other glow colors from weapons that I spent crowns on. Perhaps make it a toggle for those who like it.
    Options
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good thing about the glow is that it supresses some of the other ugly glow effects...which shouldnt be an issue in the first place.

But I am surprised that this is a deal breaker for so many, not the fact that the active animation of the skill is incredibly ugly, especially the split second where the character is still holding the bow sideways but already with the posture for the weapon that is actually being held.

Animations that make weapons vanish are a crime. They are so terrible. I don't like the glow, but that isn't an issue compared to how cheap the rest of the animation is.

And that is a bad thing because it is the best skill this class has and it is literally not usable if you value the RP part of the game.
    Edited by Vaqual on August 22, 2023 10:01AM
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually baffled THIS is intended. This looks busted and not thought-through. You can't convince me it was intended to work for the gloambound weapons.

a5vv9ak5i1jd.png

Is this a Zelda game? I have my own navi fairy now?
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't tell me a group of devs sat in a meeting and decided to give nightblades a permanent red weapon glow. You just changed the whole effect, which always included the glow, to be permanently active.

Just be straight with us: The change might have been as simple as moving the effect from the on-cast box to the on-slotted box; what we're requesting, disabling the visual part while weapons are sheated, may actually not only require a rework of the skill but also engine modifications to make it possible that this effect or at least its visuals is only active while weapons are drawn.

This is why you're telling us it's intended. You never intended to put that much work into such a simple change.

Quite frankly, just change the skill back to be a casted ability but with a 10 minutes duration?
    Edited by Toanis on August 22, 2023 10:57AM
    Options
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭

doesn't it make more sense for it glow with increasing intensity as you build stacks but not glow at all while you aren't using grim focus even though it's slotted? by that I mean to say that you are clearly not using it while you have no stacks and your weapon is sheathed.
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's hilarious that the class that is supposed to be stealthy now has a spotlight following it.

Why is this on all of the time? Who thought this was a good idea?
    I'm actually baffled THIS is intended. This looks busted and not thought-through. You can't convince me it was intended to work for the gloambound weapons.

a5vv9ak5i1jd.png

Hey! Listen!
    Options
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ... yeah, I am not enjoying the discount sith lord aesthetics at all.
    On indefinite hiatus since U41.
    Options
  • Celldweller
    Celldweller
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like the perma glow. I find it annoying, distracting and detrimental to cosmetic effects.
    Options
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    Arthtur wrote: »

In addition the visual of Grim Focus isnt visible to other players (It changed in U39, now it works like most other skills), which is really dissapointing when u use it as a part of the outfit. I would really like if that could go back to being visible for everyone while also adding option to control how visuals work.

And thats it i guess.

Wait, is this red character glow not visible to other players as well? I've come around to it and wouldn't mind if it stays now, but if other players can't see it, it seems pointless to put together a specific "look" based around it.

I really hate not knowing what my character looks like to other players. It's like not knowing if my clothes are visible to other people or not ;)

Options
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

a5vv9ak5i1jd.png

It absolutely wasn't intended. Otherwise, sorc bound armaments glow would be always active too. (unless it IS and I haven't seen it.)
    No, this was either something they COULDN'T change, or didn't have the time to change.

As an aside, where was all this "we want your feedback" business with the awful jabs animation change?
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    Options
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One: it's red.
    Two: it's red.
    Three: it's red.

It clashes with all my transmog colours, since I virtually never use red. It also falsifies some lighting areas and makes it harder to see things for people who don't have 20:20 eyesight.

Yes, my main is a NB. But I don't want to advertise it, if I'm going for immersion and trying to sneak up on someone. Oh yes, I'm trying to be this silent killer *WEARING A GLOWING RED WEAPON THAT EVERYONE CAN SEE FROM MILES AWAY*! >.>

Oh yes, and did I mention: it's red? >.<
    Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dislike the permanent glow for primarily aesthetic reasons. I'd like to be able to use color schemes other than red in my outfits without them looking gross or being overwhelmed by the red rave taking place on my back or hips. And it messes with the visual effects of other weapon styles like the Gloambound weapons and other Crown Store offerings.

I agree with the suggestion of adding a glow toggle or having the effect only appear at full stacks as a practical visual indicator.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

a5vv9ak5i1jd.png

It absolutely wasn't intended. Otherwise, sorc bound armaments glow would be always active too. (unless it IS and I haven't seen it.)
    No, this was either something they COULDN'T change, or didn't have the time to change.

As an aside, where was all this "we want your feedback" business with the awful jabs animation change?

Re. Bound Armaments:
    The swirly effect around you is gone. Completely. Daggers have a duration, so they'll fade eventually.
    Options
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. It looks awesome.
    Options
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos if you are doing a poll for the glow to get feed back then please make a poll. Don’t randomly take a guys post and then that’s the place you take the feed back. Many of us do like the effect.
    Options
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it's good for class identity, but bad for the "play how you want" philosophy. I would consider making certain class effects and pets invisible based on clientside settings.
    Edited by Dr_Con on August 22, 2023 6:02PM
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    having the glow active all the time is definitely a bit annoying, and the change of the icon to let you know when its ready to proc actually makes it harder to tell its ready to proc than the full image change

i would say it also is a little distracting when used with gloambound weapons as well
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

a5vv9ak5i1jd.png

technically it would be tael from majora's as that red color matches more closely with that fairy :P
    at a place nobody knows
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The issue isn't really the glow or the color of it or whatever - the precedent being set here that our characters' looks that we worked so hard on and in many cases spent money on can be changed on a whim is the issue.

And that should bother anyone who spends time working on their characters' looks, whether they like this specific glow effect or not.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on August 22, 2023 7:38PM
    Options
  • SoraJP
    SoraJP
    ✭✭✭
    So Nightblades get to keep a permanent red glow, but Arcanists cant keep their crux for longer than 30 seconds? Give arcanists their crux back!!!!
    PC/NA Khajiit Warden Main
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos if you are doing a poll for the glow to get feed back then please make a poll. Don’t randomly take a guys post and then that’s the place you take the feed back. Many of us do like the effect.

It's cool that you get a nice cosmetic, but frankly I struggle giving that even close to equal weight contrasted with people literally being discouraged from playing their characters.

No, there won't be a poll. And that's a good thing.
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue isn't really the glow or the color of it or whatever - the precedent being set here that our characters' looks that we worked so hard on and in many cases spent money on can be changed on a whim is the issue.

And that should bother anyone who spends time working on their players' looks, whether they like this specific glow effect or not.

Hard agree.
    Options
  • Punitio
    Punitio
    ✭✭✭

Please remove the permaglow, it destroys my weapon skins i bought on crown store, i stopped using that skill just because of that.
    The glow should ONLY be there when the skill is max stacks and ready to launch.
    I'm main Nightblade for 2 years already and had always use Grim Focus, but from this patch, i removed it from my bar and can't use it because it completely ruins my character aestethics.
    Options