Grim Focus Permaglow

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to try the ''take the skill off an on depending on what I'm doing'' method, and I forgot to put it back on before I started doing plunder skulls after some housing, because I forgot that I have to do this asinine workaround at all, so I got a free 20% DPS loss fighting the crow boss today B)

Had I been soloing I would've just wiped to slot it but I was with some others so it wasn't worth. This just reminded me how stupid this all is.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to try the ''take the skill off an on depending on what I'm doing'' method, and I forgot to put it back on before I started doing plunder skulls after some housing, because I forgot that I have to do this asinine workaround at all, so I got a free 20% DPS loss fighting the crow boss today B)

Had I been soloing I would've just wiped to slot it but I was with some others so it wasn't worth. This just reminded me how stupid this all is.
    d1I2POZ.jpg
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Cerbolt
    Cerbolt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally love the glow its suits my vampire character perfectly ^^
    AD - For the Queen!
    PSEU: Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade | Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Magplar | Ra'ban - Khajiit MagDK | Gaelhwen - Bosmer Stamden

PCEU: Kazhran - Khajiit Stamsorc | Khahan-ra - Khajiit Stamplar | Relaryn - Altmer Vampblade
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cerbolt wrote: »
    I personally love the glow its suits my vampire character perfectly ^^

Have your vampire go dig up an antiquity, then come back and kindly report to us how much it still suits him.
    "Like" matters so little when a glitched spell effect conflicts with the UI and so many other things, just saying.
    "Like" isn't the topic of this thread. It's the aftermath of an awfully handled update resulting in a glitched effect.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have your vampire go dig up an antiquity, then come back and kindly report to us how much it still suits him.

Remember what it's like digging up an antiquity on the Frozen Coast of Western Skyrim, with the grayed out ice effect on the minigame UI? Try it there with the red bleed from the Grim Focus permaglow added.

Edited by Jaraal on October 29, 2023 7:17PM
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please remove glow.
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T
    r34lian wrote: »
    Yes please remove glow.

Heres a compromise to fix the problem: Have a toggle to enable/disable the glow. There are some who like it and others who don't. Then everyone is happy.
    Edited by wilykcat on October 29, 2023 6:54PM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just remove it and add a glow cosmetic for those who like it.

As it should have been from the start.

Don't try to half-fix stuff. Do it right.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Or just remove it and add a glow cosmetic for those who like it.

As it should have been from the start.

Don't try to half-fix stuff. Do it right.

A good point, however they have yet to say whether they wanted everybody to be glowy, or whether they couldn't figure out how to separate the effect from having the stacks remain permanent. Does "Working as intended" mean it's just a side effect of the combat change? Or did somebody think, 'Let's give people some redness for free!' Until they elaborate, we'll never know.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Working as intended" sound like.... what it is. I wouldn't expect change myself.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the new permanently active Templar and DK(?) skills have a permanent glow associated with them?
  • Jimbru
    Jimbru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stealthy thief/assassin type characters, which the Nightblade is, should not glow, period. At best, the glow should only appear as an indication that the ability is fully charged. Otherwise, leave it OFF.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to see no fix this patch! It would be encouraging to know that ZOS is working on a fix for this obvious bug. :frowning:
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't it be intended???? This looks awesome! Please leave it!
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it be intended???? This looks awesome! Please leave it!

Because no other ability changes a character’s appearance just for being slotted (or worse, on console, just for having skill points assigned).

I’m all for ZOS making weapon styles or other customizations available for those who want glowing weapons — you should be able to have whatever style you like, regardless of class, just like I shouldn’t have to gimp my damage to get rid of the constant red glow that ruins my look (see earlier post).
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glow should be toggleable, or only show at 5 stacks, or when the weapon is out and not stowed. Otherwise it is quite annoying to always see it.
  • tineidae
    tineidae
    i really like the red glow on the skin of my vampire :P
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THis entire thread is just so much brainwashing i cant stand it. People justifying their skills being given away by a tell. No one needs to know what armor or skills you are using. They should be required to ask if they wish to know. zos shouldnt be giving it away without your consent. don't consent.

The permanent glow caused by the glitch is only visible to the player who equips the skill. Nobody else.
    It got reported in this thread somewhere.

-snip
    Well, I've seen multiple players with those red blobs. And those people were just running/riding a mount, not in combat. So, they are definitely visible by others (at least in some situations)

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said before, at bare minimum you can see it on players that equip the skill while you're in range of sight, and possibly a few other bugged circumstances.

Once more - it's a bugged mess.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [
    Well, I've seen multiple players with those red blobs. And those people were just running/riding a mount, not in combat. So, they are definitely visible by others (at least in some situations)

The game sold a couple reddish weapon effects in the past, which could be mistaken for Grim Focus if only noticed from the corner of your eyes. Also some people claimed the "Red blobs" from the Ebon Armory to be Grim Focus.

Considering how only every 6th user in this thread actually reads the posts in here and manages to understand that this is not about "Like or Dislike?" and players who couldn't tell grim focus and their weapon enchantments apart. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people couldn't tell the effect apart from others that easily ingame unless they paid actual attention.

Sounds harsh, but let's be just be realistic at this point.

What I can actually tell you, is that nobody I asked in game was capable of spotting Grim Focus on my Char. And I asked a couple people. If it actually behaves differently for you, there are two options:

- You play on NA and NA has it worse in consideration to the bug
    - You really need to repair your game files because something is causing your client to not work as intended.

(Get it? Intended....*sighs*)
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    [

Considering how only every 6th user in this thread actually reads the posts in here and manages to understand that this is not about "Like or Dislike?" and players who couldn't tell grim focus and their weapon enchantments apart. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people couldn't tell the effect apart from others that easily ingame unless they paid actual attention.

The thread may not have been started with the "like or dislike" question in mind, but Kevin did specifically ask people to include in their feedback whether they liked or disliked it, and why. I would guess that's why many people continue to post why they like it--not because they lack understanding or are trying to annoy anyone.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

The game sold a couple reddish weapon effects in the past, which could be mistaken for Grim Focus if only noticed from the corner of your eyes. Also some people claimed the "Red blobs" from the Ebon Armory to be Grim Focus.

Sounds harsh, but let's be just be realistic at this point.

What I can actually tell you, is that nobody I asked in game was capable of spotting Grim Focus on my Char. And I asked a couple people. If it actually behaves differently for you, there are two options:

- You play on NA and NA has it worse in consideration to the bug
    - You really need to repair your game files because something is causing your client to not work as intended.

(Get it? Intended....*sighs*)
    I do not use Ebon Armory, but from what I saw in a video its red blobs are moving. The ones I saw were static and attached to the lower part of the body (where the sheathed weapon would be). They looked exactly as the ones shown in the pictures in this thread.

I would say my client is probably fine. I doubt that it's broken in relation only to this tiny particular issue.

Whether it's a bug that appears in some cases only, I do not know.
    Bottom line: intended or not, visible to others or not, the effect is not pleasant. I did what many other people did - unslotted the Grim Focus for when I'm not in combat.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    THis entire thread is just so much brainwashing i cant stand it. People justifying their skills being given away by a tell. No one needs to know what armor or skills you are using. They should be required to ask if they wish to know. zos shouldnt be giving it away without your consent. don't consent.

The permanent glow caused by the glitch is only visible to the player who equips the skill. Nobody else.

-snip

The the red grim focus effect looks very similar to the siphoning strikes effect.

sk6679deo5sl.png

edit: FTR this is the magicka version of siphoning strikes (siphoning attacks). The stamina version (leeching strikes) is transparent black with tiny red sparkles, it looks noticeably different.

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on November 1, 2023 4:23PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin

• Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

-snip

The the red grim focus effect looks very similar to the siphoning strikes effect.

sk6679deo5sl.png

So you’re saying that we Nightblade players have always been dealing with glowing red weapons?
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

So you’re saying that we Nightblade players have always been dealing with glowing red weapons?

I'm saying that the red effect the other person has been seeing could've been siphoning strikes.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin

• ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

I'm saying that the red effect the other person has been seeing could've been siphoning strikes.

Is it static and attached to the hips on both sides?

Edit: what I saw looked like the effect on the image posted by AstroST on page 5.
    Edited by ESO_player123 on October 31, 2023 3:56PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my earlier post, see the images below, all with Siphoning Strikes slotted on the bow bar, the difference being whether or not Grim Focus is slotted on the dagger bar. The effect from Siphoning Strikes is when cast and I think it is more of an aura around the weapon than a red blob like the broken Grim Focus permaglow.

Bow of Shadows
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

Chokethorn Bow
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png

(Edited for clarity.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 31, 2023 5:26PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

When the person is using 1h weapons, yeah. The character in my pictures is using a staff, which is why it's the ball.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin

• ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

When the person is using 1h weapons, yeah. The character in my pictures is using a staff, which is why it's the ball.

I edited the post to which you replied to note that what I saw looked like the effect on the image that AstroST posted on page 5. Same deep red hue.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From my earlier post, see the images below, all with Siphoning Strikes slotted on the bow bar, the difference whether or not Grim Focus is slotted on the dagger bar. The effect from Siphoning Strikes is in combat only and I think it is more of an aura around the weapon than red blobs like the broken Grim Focus permaglow.

Bow of Shadows
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

Chokethorn Bow
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png

Siphoning strikes' effect shows up when you activate it, so yeah it won't show just for slotting it.

I don't know if I made it seem like I was confused about how the skills work, but I'm not. I responded to the other person to show that the two effects look similar, so the red effects that they saw might have seen someone's siphoning strikes. The skill lasts for 20 seconds, so someone might have just casted it within that time when the other poster saw them.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin