Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the glow should only appear once you gain full stacks on grim focus.

Yes, it should. It would be a nice visual instead of the counter that was lost for some reason.
  • Trejgon
    Trejgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I am unsure about is that grim focus got it's activated effect going on permanently, but bound armaments go their active visual removed - while otherwise functionally both abilities are very similar - main difference is that armaments are missing the health restore bit but can fire without full stacks (tho not sure why would anyone want to do that), and got nerfed at some point to remove weapon/spell damage buff from the stacks.

If visual consistency between these abilities is to be mantained, the grim focus should build up the glow with gaining stacks and loose it when the stacks drop off or are consumed. Alternatively some other visual indicator should be made that would visualize amount of stacks ready at hand similar to how armaments display daggers above the character.
  • HushAzrael
    HushAzrael
    ✭✭✭
    Between this hideous permaglow and the fact that I am now FORCED to play magblade in melee 100% of the time (in order to get optimal dps) I will be shelving my magblade dps until ZOS corrects these horrible issues. I do have a healblade armory slot, so any play that she gets will be as that.

Never thought I’d see the day when I had to shelve my main.
    Edited by HushAzrael on October 4, 2023 4:05PM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mood tbh. Among mine is also a bow blade, and I was initially superstoked about the bow buffs we got recently.
    ... any boost received is completely invalidated by having to get rid of Grim Focus now. Not sure what to do with her.
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HushAzrael wrote: »
    Between this hideous permaglow and the fact that I am now FORCED to play magblade in melee 100% of the time (in order to get optimal dps) I will be shelving my magblade dps until ZOS corrects these horrible issues. I do have a healblade armory slot, so any play that she gets will be as that.

Never thought I’d see the day when I had to shelve my main.

Hybridization more like homogenization really, really dislike having to play melee with every class.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only nightblade has always been a bowblade. Usually on both bars, currently only using one bar with the other being rendered unusable by oaken soul. Now red. Just red.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have two main characters who are nightblades and one of them is an assassin who ''doesn't use'' magic, so the permanent effect looks dumb.

The other is a vampire blood mage who exclusively uses magic. Red spell effects suit her really well actually! But it being permanent is annoying and awful, not to mention it looks ridiculous with her gloambound weapons.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have removed some insulting back and forth that was disruptive. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • xiphactinus
    xiphactinus
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the permanent glow, However if the glow kicked in at max stacks it would be tolerable and have utility.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be better if the glowing effect would appear when you can shot your skill - easier to see when you can use it and no Perma glow
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • FabresFour
    FabresFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the main problems with this permaglow is: I bought weapons with special effects for crown. Permaglow disrupts these special effects.

It could have an option where the player can activate/deactivate permanent effects related to skills. It's an alternative, I think. Viable? Perhaps.
    @FabresFour - 2075 CP
    Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I struggle to understand how or why this was implemented this way. If this works as intended, but other players can’t see it (haven’t confirmed this myself, just going on what has been posted here), and it doesn’t visually show you if have have max stacks like it used to, then it serves not purpose other than to let you know if you have the skill slotted. That is ridiculous, I’m going to know if I have it slotted or not.

The only other explanation I can think of is that the way the glow behaves got messed up somehow in the coding when the skill was changed.

Right now it has become a cosmetic effect only. I don’t want a cosmetic effect, I want the visual status of the stacks restored.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My guess is that when the skill was created the glow was hard coded into the skill, which wasn’t a problem until the skill became permanent. And now, they can’t figure out how to remove the glow without destroying the skill.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    My guess is that when the skill was created the glow was hard coded into the skill, which wasn’t a problem until the skill became permanent. And now, they can’t figure out how to remove the glow without destroying the skill.

Well.... if that's the situation, whoever did the coding should have commented the whole process so it COULD be reverted. Anyone worth her salt as a coder (not to mention PROGRAMMER) should make it obvioius for the poor next guy who's tasked with reverting changes.

Seriously. I don't program, but I'm hell on wheels with website coding. Sure, I can't whip up a game (or fix a broken process in a current game) - but DAMN. I can absolutely comment everything I do (and I DO comment extensively when I make changes) so that if something either fatal - or even just unexpected! - occurs, I can back the SOB out and at LEAST return it to the previous working config!

Sheesh.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

We we'll never know since they have decided that "better communication" is equal to total silence.
    Probably my fault thinking was something else, must be some sort of cultural difference.
  • Dimorphos
    Dimorphos
    ✭✭✭
    I think this new grim focus red glow is FANTASTIC ! And so do many others and I hope zenimax will not flip a coin and remove it. We do like to stand out.

This brings me to my suggestion and I HOPE ZENIMAX WILL HEAR ME OUT:

Would it just be possible to give us a choice to leave or disable the various glows and effects of any skills and sets out there. This way everyone could choose and everyone would be happy. It can't be too much work. It could even be as simple as a keybindable setting "set/skill appearance effects on/off" at first and maybe later on work for it to be configurable per set/skill. I usually like these things but for sorcerer lightning form, I would want to have a choice for the effect.

Isn't this the best way to solve this issue? I think it is. A great way for a mmorpg game or any game at all to be successful is to give the players freedom to choose, as much as possible.
    Edited by Dimorphos on October 10, 2023 6:58AM
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimorphos wrote: »
    I think this new grim focus red glow is FANTASTIC ! And so do many others and I hope zenimax will not flip a coin and remove it. We do like to stand out.

It's not about flipping a coin, is about respect for people that have bought things with real money and now can't use them.
  • Dimorphos
    Dimorphos
    ✭✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »

It's not about flipping a coin, is about respect for people that have bought things with real money and now can't use them.

could you please read my whole comment..
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »

could you please read my whole comment..

I read it, but in my personal opinion they will not invest so many resource to do what you are suggesting.
    I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but that has never happened before.
  • Dimorphos
    Dimorphos
    ✭✭✭
    Did you read that part where I suggested that these glows/effects in any set or skills should be a global setting as simple as turn on/off. Because that is pretty much something like an hour work time from one dev. For most certainly it is not more work than to add the glow for a skill. Simple stuff and if some dev would read my comment making that suggestion I can't think of any good reason why not to do so. Everyone would be pleased and the cost for zenimax in time and money invested is quite minimal.

Edited by Dimorphos on October 10, 2023 7:19AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it just be possible to give us a choice to leave or disable the various glows and effects of any skills and sets out there. This way everyone could choose and everyone would be happy.

That is the only choice that would please everybody, but ZOS hasn't mentioned any interest in pursuing that option. I can go into my settings menu and turn off the grass in an entire zone, so it shouldn't be too difficult to be able to turn off a single effect that only I can see.

Unfortunately, ZOS likes everyone sporting the permaglow as it is, and they have confirmed that to us in this thread. So it doesn't really matter what we, the players, want. They will (continue to) do whatever they think is best.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because that is pretty much something like an hour work time from one dev. For most certainly it is not more work than to add the glow for a skill. Simple stuff and if some dev would read my comment making that suggestion I can't think of any good reason why not to do so. Everyone would be pleased and the cost for zenimax in time and money invested is quite minimal.

I totally agree with you.
    But based on history they will not do it.

Seems someone thinks everybody should go around with glowing things with no way to do otherwise.
    Their game their choiches of course. My choice is to not spend another single euro here.
    I will continue to play but I will never give them more of my money.

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to turn any other skill effects off except for permanent grim focus, so the toggle would need to be there for each individual effect.

A global toggle for skill effects isn't a solution.

The issue isn't with skill effects... it's that this one is now permanent.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Unfortunately, ZOS likes everyone sporting the permaglow as it is, and they have confirmed that to us in this thread. So it doesn't really matter what we, the players, want. They will (continue to) do whatever they think is best.

Indeed, it is ZOS' prerogative to do what they want with the game. And it is mine, as a paying customer, to consequently restrict my purchases to only the monthly subscription, and nothing more.

Looks like my current crowns are going to last me a very, very, VERY long time!
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you read that part where I suggested that these glows/effects in any set or skills should be a global setting as simple as turn on/off. Because that is pretty much something like an hour work time from one dev. For most certainly it is not more work than to add the glow for a skill. Simple stuff and if some dev would read my comment making that suggestion I can't think of any good reason why not to do so. Everyone would be pleased and the cost for zenimax in time and money invested is quite minimal.

There will never be a setting with sufficient granularity to please everyone. Never.

And frankly, the very concept of randomly adding a permanent visual effect to anything retroactively, especially a core class skill, needs to be nipped in the bud on principle alone. If people want a red glow cosmetic they should create a red glow cosmetic, not add it to Grim Focus to then have people fight over a compromise that will never get implemented anyway.
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i LOVE the perma glow!! Especially that it is red. Coming from another game, where you could enchant weapons with appearances, like this, i really missed it. This was a huge, wonderful thing for me.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    where you could enchant weapons with appearances

Permaglowis not about "could", is not something you can or can't do.
    Permaglow is about removing every possible change of apperenace you can do on your weapons.
    Permaglow is about imposing the same appereance to all NB
    Permaglow is about removing freedom to NB
    Permaglow is about deleting play as you want from NB
    Permaglow is about a total lack of respect for people that have spent real money on the game.

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i LOVE the perma glow!! Especially that it is red. Coming from another game, where you could enchant weapons with appearances, like this, i really missed it. This was a huge, wonderful thing for me.

Whether some people love it or not is immaterial. Everyone else is forced to have it as well, including people who spent money on things that are now no longer usable.

Again, the solution to a red glow cosmetic is a red glow cosmetic, not a retroactive forced glow on every Nightblade out there.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »

Whether some people love it or not is immaterial. Everyone else is forced to have it as well, including people who spent money on things that are now no longer usable.

Again, the solution to a red glow cosmetic is a red glow cosmetic, not a retroactive forced glow on every Nightblade out there.

Agreed. In the beginning, I thought I could live with the glow and just ignore it, but over time I’ve just grown more and more irritated when I see it to the point of subconsciously and consciously avoiding using my Nightblades for anything, and I hate that. 😢