Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    THis entire thread is just so much brainwashing i cant stand it. People justifying their skills being given away by a tell. No one needs to know what armor or skills you are using. They should be required to ask if they wish to know. zos shouldnt be giving it away without your consent. don't consent.

The permanent glow caused by the glitch is only visible to the player who equips the skill. Nobody else.
    It got reported in this thread somewhere.

-snip
    Well, I've seen multiple players with those red blobs. And those people were just running/riding a mount, not in combat. So, they are definitely visible by others (at least in some situations)

The the red grim focus effect looks very similar to the siphoning strikes effect.

sk6679deo5sl.png

So you’re saying that we Nightblade players have always been dealing with glowing red weapons?

I'm saying that the red effect the other person has been seeing could've been siphoning strikes.

I know, I was bringing it to attention that perpetual glowing red weapons is not a new thing.

Anyone who plays Nightblade, has gotten used to it, as in combat your Siphoning Strikes should never fall off. Our only difference being, Grim Focus has an aura that follows outside of combat, and if that’s a problem, maybe there needs to be a more pointed discussion about that, instead of just complaining about it in general as most people in this thread have done.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    THis entire thread is just so much brainwashing i cant stand it. People justifying their skills being given away by a tell. No one needs to know what armor or skills you are using. They should be required to ask if they wish to know. zos shouldnt be giving it away without your consent. don't consent.

The permanent glow caused by the glitch is only visible to the player who equips the skill. Nobody else.

-snip
    Well, I've seen multiple players with those red blobs. And those people were just running/riding a mount, not in combat. So, they are definitely visible by others (at least in some situations)

The the red grim focus effect looks very similar to the siphoning strikes effect.

sk6679deo5sl.png

So you’re saying that we Nightblade players have always been dealing with glowing red weapons?

I'm saying that the red effect the other person has been seeing could've been siphoning strikes.

I know, I was bringing it to attention that perpetual glowing red weapons is not a new thing.

Anyone who plays Nightblade, has gotten used to it, as in combat your Siphoning Strikes should never fall off. Our only difference being, Grim Focus has an aura that follows outside of combat, and if that’s a problem, maybe there needs to be a more pointed discussion about that, instead of just complaining about it in general as most people in this thread have done.

Perpetual red glow just for slotting a skill is new, yes. Saying this isn't new because you should be good at your rotation in combat is just ??

FTR siphoning strikes has nothing to do with the issue that this thread is talking about. There is nothing wrong with siphoning strikes. I only brought siphoning strikes up because it may have been what the poster whom I responded to saw, not to complain about its visual effect.

The part I bolded is exactly what the OP is frustrated about. It's what I'm frustrated about as well. I agree though that the red color in general isn't new and it's weird seeing someone steer it that way as being the problem and not as the PERMA part of it being the problem.

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on October 31, 2023 4:13PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my earlier post, see the images below, all with Siphoning Strikes slotted on the bow bar, the difference whether or not Grim Focus is slotted on the dagger bar. The effect from Siphoning Strikes is in combat only and I think it is more of an aura around the weapon than red blobs like the broken Grim Focus permaglow.

Bow of Shadows
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

Chokethorn Bow
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png

Siphoning strikes' effect shows up when you activate it, so yeah it won't show just for slotting it.

I don't know if I made it seem like I was confused about how the skills work, but I'm not. I responded to the other person to show that the two effects look similar, so the red effects that they saw might have seen someone's siphoning strikes. The skill lasts for 20 seconds, so someone might have just casted it within that time when the other poster saw them.

Ahh, so you cast it and then sheathed the weapon? I haven’t tested to see how it looks doing that on visible weapons. The floaty orb thing threw me and I wondered if there might be another bug in the interaction of the invisible weapons (gloambound?) and Siphoning Strikes.

That is a good point, without extended observation or knowing what the player cast, etc., I don’t think one could know the cause of a red glow on another player’s weapons — I mean, it’s likely recently cast Siphoning Strikes as you say, but since the Grim Focus permaglow bug varies (on PC for slotting but on console for assigning skill points), it is conceivable to me that there could be circumstances that make it visible to other players.

(Edited: typo)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 31, 2023 5:19PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From my earlier post, see the images below, all with Siphoning Strikes slotted on the bow bar, the difference whether or not Grim Focus is slotted on the dagger bar. The effect from Siphoning Strikes is in combat only and I think it is more of an aura around the weapon than red blobs like the broken Grim Focus permaglow.

Bow of Shadows
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

Chokethorn Bow
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png

Siphoning strikes' effect shows up when you activate it, so yeah it won't show just for slotting it.

I don't know if I made it seem like I was confused about how the skills work, but I'm not. I responded to the other person to show that the two effects look similar, so the red effects that they saw might have seen someone's siphoning strikes. The skill lasts for 20 seconds, so someone might have just casted it within that time when the other poster saw them.

Ahh, so you cast it and then sheathed the weapon? I haven’t tested to see how it looks doing that on visible weapons. The floaty orb thing through me and I wondered if there might be another bug in the interaction of the invisible weapons (gloambound?) and Siphoning Strikes.

That is a good point, without extended observation or knowing what the player cast, etc., I don’t think one could know the cause of a red glow on another player’s weapons — I mean, it’s likely recently cast Siphoning Strikes as you say, but since the Grim Focus permaglow bug varies (on PC for slotting but on console for assigning skill points), it is conceivable to me that there could be circumstances that make it visible to other players.

Yeah I casted it and then sheathed my weapons. Me using gloambound made it kinda confusing. I was already playing that character and didn't think to change the motif or swap character, for clarity.

But yeah the difference between the two effects is hard to know for sure unless you get a good enough look (grim focus has a cleaner outline, siphoning strikes has a cloudy, moving outline). The other poster says it looked like the grim focus one. It definitely seems like a case of the effect showing to others being wishy washy like what you're mentioning.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

That’s a great big major difference, even if the effect looked exactly the same! My pointed reasons this permanent effect tied to an essential DPS skill is unacceptable are as follows:

1) It fails to inform the player. A glow that turned on in combat at max stacks would be informative. A permanent effect for slotting or worse, assigning skill points to an ability, is clearly not informative.

2) It does not inform opponents. Again, the effect is always on, and in addition, the effect is not visible to other players* anyway, so it does not inform counter play.
    *There is some debate on this. Do other players see it if you slot it while grouped with them or other particular combination of circumstance? Regardless, it is clearly not a reliable indicator of a charged skill for PvP.

3) As a cosmetic effect, it fails abysmally.
    • It is not visible to other players.
    • It does not follow the shape of the weapon.
    • It ruins the visuals of weapon styles the player may have paid money for, the effects of which were previously visible out of combat and when not overridden by casting another temporary skill.
    • Many players, myself included, may have chosen the class in part to have less in your face visuals. I usually style my nightblades to be stealthy, to blend in with shadows, not to have a permanently glowing weapon that irradiates through the back of their eyeballs! I also made a more nature magic look (warden wasn’t my cup of tea for my bosmer) with the Chokethorn weapon style but this is ruined by the Grim Focus permaglow.
    • A weapon glow effect should be a style option available to players regardless of class, not tied to an ability and thus forced on a segment of players, wanted or not, and should then be visible to others.

Finally, a huge part of ESO’s appeal to many players is the ability to customize our characters’ appearance and personalities and to play as we want. We choose classes and create looks with abilities in mind. We’re not going to like the look or sound of every ability even in a chosen class, but hopefully find most fitting and even those that we don’t care for, are at least temporary in combat. Until now. Therefore, this ability should be fixed to not create a permanent effect in and out of combat; I would be satisfied with it being reverted to how it was before.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 31, 2023 4:43PM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-snip

sk6679deo5sl.png

I would appreciate if you took the time to actually read the topic before lecturing us about what we should do. It might be an illuminating experience, and would avoid having to rehash the basics all the time.

I certainly don't need to be told or having to repeat what the topic I started is supposedly about. It's aggravating. Doubly so when it happens about three times on each of the 20 pages.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I like the effect on all my Nightblades. But I don't like having it bleed into my minigame UI or the Outfit Station, and I also wouldn't like it if I got Gloambound for the specific reason of hiding my weapons.

It should be optional per character, for those who don't want it on all the time.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Personally, I like the effect on all my Nightblades. But I don't like having it bleed into my minigame UI or the Outfit Station, and I also wouldn't like it if I got Gloambound for the specific reason of hiding my weapons.

It should be optional per character, for those who don't want it on all the time.

If the optional approach can be done for Grim Focus, I’d like to see it done for Puncturing Sweep and Flurry.

Those were both overwhelmingly disliked animation changes for one reason or another, yet we’ve ran with it, which is why I highly doubt something like this that actually does have people who enjoy it, would receive any attention past the response we got earlier in the thread by Kevin.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine questions for those who like this effect:
    Would you not rather it be a weapon style or other customizable cosmetic option? Is it because there isn’t such an option currently available that you would rather this? Or is there another reason I’m not thinking of? Do you care whether the effect is visible to other or only to you?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If the optional approach can be done for Grim Focus, I’d like to see it done for Puncturing Sweep and Flurry.

Those were both overwhelmingly disliked animation changes for one reason or another, yet we’ve ran with it, which is why I highly doubt something like this that actually does have people who enjoy it, would receive any attention past the response we got earlier in the thread by Kevin.

I dislike those changes too and don’t use flurry anymore. My main templar is a healer so I never used jabs that much but disliked it being changed to a vampiric shovel on principle. Honestly, while some great elements were added to the game this year, I dislike a lot of changes that have been made in the past two years as well as how they’ve been handled. It makes me think I should enjoy what I can while I have it but not pay any additional money to customize anything because it could be ruined without warning or recourse (of course I realize that we agree to this in the ToS, but one hopes for certain standards).
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would you not rather it be a weapon style or other customizable cosmetic option? Is it because there isn’t such an option currently available that you would rather this? Or is there another reason I’m not thinking of? Do you care whether the effect is visible to other or only to you?

I don't buy arms packs, so I don't have any weapon styles that have a glow or light-style effect on them, and I do enjoy the red glow on my weapons. Doesn't matter to me if others can see it or not.

If there were simple cosmetic glows like this for weapons (and they weren't too expensive in the crown store) I would probably make use of them, but as far as I know, there aren't any.

I do think it would be nice if people could choose whether or not they wanted the glow, but I have no idea if that can be done without entirely reverting the change to the skill.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer it to be a stand alone cosmetic, available in multiple colors. And having visual effects that are only seen by the user is silly, outside of a combat usage. It would be (and currently is) the Emperor's New Clothes effect, and pretty embarrassing. I would assume that most people outfit their characters to look good to everyone, and not just themselves. Otherwise, what's the purpose of playing an MMORPG where we interact with others? And why are we expected to keep track of separate looks: one for ourselves, and one for how we appear to others?

ZOS essentially negated the whole reason for the effect, which was to let the user know when the stacks were ready to fire. So, until they tell us why they did that, we can't know their true motivation for removing the actual combat purpose of the weapons glow and turning it into a forced cosmetic.

Edited by Jaraal on November 1, 2023 4:21AM
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think more has been posted against the change than for it. Personally I removed the skill from my NB.

I think ZOS just thinks their players/customers arguing with each other is engagement, instead of providing any actual statement addressing the change.
  • KapiteinBoterham
    KapiteinBoterham
    ✭✭✭
    Well the patch is out and i'm afraid the Grim Focus perma-glow is here to stay...

Very dissappointed in how this obvious bug is being downplayed by managament as an intended change. I also think it's ridiculous that this obnoxious glow effect is even being supported by some. Making stuff glow after years for no reason should create a massive outcry by the community, not comments like "I like it (even though other players can't see it), so the rest of you just have to deal with it".

Whats next? Dragonknight having permanent spikes coming from his back for having the spiked armor skill slotted? Sorc permanently being transparent for having Lightning Form slotted? Do you guys not see how this can become a major problem for people who enjoy the current look of their character?

I really love this game but this thread really shows how little the management cares about their most loyal players. Even worse; how little the players care about the other players...

Next time if something changes in the game that you dont like, i hope this community has your back. Because you guys screwed this one up big time..
    Edited by KapiteinBoterham on November 1, 2023 5:43PM
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hi there,

We have removed some unnecessary back and forth that was disruptive as well some non-constructive comments. Please ensure you are treating others with respect on the forums even when they have views that differ from your own. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Maythor
    Maythor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm astonished this situation hasn't been fixed yet! Real money purchases are not being honoured as long as this perma-glow remains.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how they made Grim Focus permanently glow like a damn hazard light, but sorcerer's Bound Armor, which had the same mechanic change, that of now being a passive we don't have to activate, had it's graphical effect (swirly and somewhat subtle purple light) removed.

Why was the graphical effect removed from one, but on the other it was put permanently on?
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    oov61xklahgk.png

So it's official now I guess? Just a bad move.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still feel that this should be 100% optional and selectable by the player to match their preference. I don't understand why it was forced on us with no warning.

It drives me nuts when I log into my stamblade to run writs, the red glow is all over the screen and ridiculous to look at.

What's the theory here -- "Hey, let's take a class that specializes in STEALTH, and give them a BIG GLOWING RED AURA AT ALL TIMES" -- it destroys immersion and class fantasy.

Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • Lystrad
    Lystrad
    ✭✭✭

So this is actually an interesting question to think about. It would depend on how that cosmetic option was handled. If it were a cosmetic option in the collections tab that just made your weapon glow red, that would be great and could come in different styles. Mages could finally have their staves glow with their element like npc staves if they wanted.

If it were say an arms pack? It would entirely depend on what weapons were in the arms pack. As is, I can pick what weapon types glow and the individual models of the glowing weapons. Now there are... I think 3 arms packs that have weapons with a red glow but they all have very particular models that individual players may not like. For example I love the grundwulf greatsword, but none of the offered one handed weapons between the packs.

Another problem with implementing it through cosmetics would be paywalling people out of something they currently have for free.

That said I think a nice compromise would be to apply whatever coding allows arms pack weapons to only display their glow while drawn to grim focus so that the weapon glows when it's drawn and the glow fades when sheathed. While I personally picked nightblade for the more magical elements of the class, I understand that others chose it for the more muted rogue elements and feel that could be a good way to meet in the middle.
  • jjohnson023b14_ESO
    jjohnson023b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Adding another mark to the "not happy" list. I stopped using the skill entirely. I loved the mechanic change, but the permanent glow is just not for me. Ruins outfits, screen shots, stealthy immersion...

It doesn't even fit right on many weapons and floats in open space.

Please only make it glow when you have 5 stacks as an indicator to use it. Seems like a simple fix. I can't believe random red glow on weapons that are invisible while sheathed was your intention.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the responses, @metheglyn and @Lystrad
    I can see where if you like the effect, having it for free certainly beats paying for an arms pack which may not have the weapon you desire (I was disappointed that Chokethorn and indeed most arms packs I’ve looked at don’t have daggers).

I think ZOS should make weapon glow an option, along with choice of color and maybe style or intensity as well. I think they could get rid of the effect from enchantments (perhaps have it recreatable with the new glow effect) and either make this new feature freely available to all (best option) or at least give every player several equivalents of outfit dyes (weapon effects tokens?). Existing weapon styles could have the caveat that effects could not be applied (similar to how some cannot be dyed) or they could allow the creation of abominations like my Grimly Focused Chokethorn bow…
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its is 100% an unintentional change that they tried to dress up as a feature.
    It is staying because they cannot fix it without reverting the skill back to how it was before.
    Source: bound armaments does not give your character a perma-glow, despite the skill having an aura when activated. So, they're either being inconsistent, or they screwed up.

Jabs. Flurry. Grim Focus. I sure hope the devs decide against doing any further animation and aesthetic "upgrades" in the future.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is really disheartening to know that the developers are unconcerned about this change. Permanently glowing is not a good aesthetic for a stealth-based character. One would think that the makers of a role playing game which monetizes itself with an abundance of cosmetics would understand this simple point.
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stop thinking how a couple of patch notes prior, possibly 4 or 5.... It was stated (perhaps jokingly) 'because we all know fashion is end game'

I have 10 toon all with varying looks, colours and styles adjusted via the outfit stations to look the way I want. Some I have spent hours on.

Aesthetically the permaglow has ruined the immersion for one of my main toons (thief/assassin) so I removed the skill after 3 days and have never put it back on because in a very strange way the red glow makes me feel kinda physically sick on top of the aesthetics issue.
    I find it odd because that character wears a red and black outfit and has a red and black mount. So I'm not particularly adverse to Red.

Just a note, I don't think any other colour would affect me like this. Not that I have any other permaglow to compare this with (NOT an invitation)

I have run that toon with that clothing and mount set up for probably 4 years and am unlikely to change it. Not having the skill slotted feels weird but the glow bugs me so much so, that I carry on without it.

My Master Main Toon. The one I started ESO with, is also a NB.... wood elf and I have a fondness for this toon like no other, the colours I run are Green & Gold and my mount is green and black, the red glow just ruins any experience I have running that toon too, it simply does not fit with it.
    The red glow reflects off the armour and again, ruins the look.

But for me, weirdly.... above all and possibly a rare effect over everyone else's concerns and issues, is that the red permaglow really does make me feel a bit ill....

Some love it, some hate it and others (possibly just me) feel sickened by it.

If this is something that can only be seen by the player then I genuinely find the permaglow pointless.

I don't need a permaglow to inform me I have the skill slotted,
    I chose the skills I have slotted,
    So really... what is the actual point? Genuine question.

Instead of dividing us, sell Permaglows in the Crown Store, make some money from those that want it and leave us to our End Game fashion?
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    Even in bright sunshine you can see it:
    AIL4fc91PV9k1aTi06cgR8USQOk2v_6ZdS3e5fgl0h3zIrFMlSmD4xw1xXOy19iZ1bFTyeGTZa8ebur-8hZBx0vUbfIRD8amQsJsr1ljgn5bhQSeFuAfnBJmYTljVJKxOOmWr6G3V6JXogTmDMjXtitvwTjsjA=w955-h956-s-no?authuser=0

Your char looks like she's seen some better days. She's like - meh, I've been fighting and don't like taking screenshots of me. xD
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is something that can only be seen by the player then I genuinely find the permaglow pointless.

Definitely makes you wonder why there's such a big disconnect with their customers. And they refuse to say why they want you to look that way, after ten years of letting you look as you wanted to before.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely makes you wonder why there's such a big disconnect with their customers. And they refuse to say why they want you to look that way, after ten years of letting you look as you wanted to before.

I suspect it’s because there is no such reason but that it was an unintended consequence of changing how the skill worked — otherwise it wouldn’t be visible only to the player and on console visible just for assigning skill points.

I would have felt much better hearing it actually acknowledged as a bug that will eventually be fixed, even if it takes a while to figure out.

As is, it seems disrespectful to people who play the class (although acknowledged that some people like the effect) and even more so, to people who purchased the Gloambound weapons, as many people bought those to have weapons invisible while sheathed.

At this point, I think it should not only be fixed/reverted, but that everyone should either have glowing weapons as an available option or given a voucher for a free weapon style pack.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do know ZOS does not acknowledge a bug before they have a possible fix for it. Gloambound happens to be one of the very few cosmetics I have bought with eso+ crowns. My NB is on indefinite leave for other reasons but I still would like it fixed some year just in case.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been playing my NBs more recently, and the red glow just ruins any of the weapon styles they use, especially the bows.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA