Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    You do know ZOS does not acknowledge a bug before they have a possible fix for it. Gloambound happens to be one of the very few cosmetics I have bought with eso+ crowns. My NB is on indefinite leave for other reasons but I still would like it fixed some year just in case.

They fixed the tooltip description of the Gloambound weapons to accommodate the "bug." So they spent time and effort on it, but it wasn't to fix or change anything about the permaglow.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alp wrote: »
    oov61xklahgk.png

So it's official now I guess? Just a bad move.

That's the worst news on a subject I would've expected, but thanks for posting.

Hope people would think twice before buying stuff that can be rendered useful because some further "changes". One more in the pile along with running on a horseback etc.
  • YORKSHIRE76
    YORKSHIRE76
    ✭✭✭
    At least they told me "AFTER" i
    purchased it, or else I would never have known.
    Honestly this needs looking at, I'm the only one to see the effect. I DONT WANT TOO!
    Edited by YORKSHIRE76 on November 8, 2023 7:48PM
  • YORKSHIRE76
    YORKSHIRE76
    ✭✭✭
    Also "some combat effects". Which ones?
    How am I supposed to know?
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be cool if you could choose the glow color from your unlocked dyes.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

Vfx like that should always be optional and never forced upon a player.

It's already bad enough with all the vfx from buffs/debuffs and the constant visual noise from various mounts and class ability spam.
    Please let us control what vfx we want to see on our screen, this applies not only to the permaglow but also to vfx like the block indicator (giant golden shield) or the green glow after a dodge.

Edit: And it also applies to animation changes like the Flurry animation. While I prefer the new animation when I use axes and maces, it looks ridiculous with daggers.
    Edited by Kendaric on November 8, 2023 11:07PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Jaraal
      Jaraal
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

You gamble your money, and you take your chances.
      RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    • YORKSHIRE76
      YORKSHIRE76
      ✭✭✭
      The new description says "some combat effects may still show". If I am NOT in combat, why are combat effects still showing? My "invisible when sheathed " weapons are visible!. And only to me! What's the point?. It doesn't help me in any way shape or form to know when I can use the skill.
      I know I have it because I slotted it.i dont need reminding.
      Do we need a coloured glow for every skill?
      Just in case we forgot we slotted it?
    • YORKSHIRE76
      YORKSHIRE76
      ✭✭✭
      Jaraal wrote: »

A year plus down the line? C'mon!.. cant I enjoy what a purchased?. Or are all cosmetics subject to change?
      I get some like it, that's cool. I do not.
      Also a crown purchase is not taking a chance. Unless you buy crates. I purchased something specific, and now it has been changed retrospectively.
      Zos wont even refund anyone for the changes they made.
    • dcrush
      dcrush
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hi @ZOS_Kevin - this thread is currently at 21 pages, most of it negative responses. Have you gathered enough feedback yet?
    • Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Jaraal wrote: »

Buying a specified item should never be a gamble, unless gambling is what is specified (i.e., Crown Crates) so this doesn’t make sense to me, unless you are saying that because of ToS, EVERY purchase is a gamble. Changes to the game such as this Grim Focus permaglow does make it feel like that, unfortunately, and I’m hoping that ZOS will agree that is not a good thing, as who wants to spend significant irl money on an in game cosmetic that may not even work as expected next patch? :(
    • Number_51
      Number_51
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Alp wrote: »
      oov61xklahgk.png

So it's official now I guess? Just a bad move.

That's the worst news on a subject I would've expected, but thanks for posting.

Hope people would think twice before buying stuff that can be rendered useful because some further "changes". One more in the pile along with running on a horseback etc.

I certainly won't be buying the Anvil of Zenithar Arms Pack now (or very likely any other until this is changed). I had intended on getting it eventually when I first saw it in the data-mine.
    • xiphactinus
      xiphactinus
      ✭✭✭
      I swapped to a magblade and the glow looks pretty cool on the staff that resembles a dreamcatcher. So I changed my original thoughts somewhat. Just have to do something with my stamblade now.
    • Sezetcik
      Sezetcik
      ✭✭
      Adding to the pile of negative feedback here that I also don't like the permaglow.

The answer from the devs here makes me feel like this was an unintended consequence of making the grim focus stacking permanent while slotted with the devs now trying to sweep it under the rug without actually diving into the code. There are alot of good suggestion here like making it glow only when you are at full stacks. But even if this is too much trouble, make the effect atleast less bright than it is now and make it fit the bow models betters.
    • aspergalas4
      aspergalas4
      ✭✭✭✭
      Just to piggyback on Sezetcik's comment as its the most recent (I have read through this thread over the last few weeks) it really is baffling why the change is permanent and not just a visual effect to communicate being at full stacks. If it was a visual aid to communicate stacks it would be excellent game design, instead we just have what amounts to incompetence being stubbornly defended for seemingly no logical reason.

It's an equitable compromise to have it this way, and it makes absolutely no sense for the stealth archetype class to have a glowing weapon at all times for slotting one of their core damage dealing abilities, which might I add is also a fun mechanic to play with and a pity to have to unslot to avoid this bug. I would say the same about all the other classes, such as the dragonknight always having the spikes on their back for slotting that ability. Or necromancer having the spines for slotting that one.

A toggle is not the correct move as a solution as this is just one class ability, and would add needless UI changes when time and resources can be allocated elsewhere.

I think it's about time this was addressed because it is quite clear at this point it was unintended and is also deeply unpopular. Whether it pride or resentment at perceived entitlement from the player base, we are consumers and live service games need to cater to their customers if they wish to succeed. It just creates more problems later down the line if communication breaks down. It's almost comical as all the feedback is out of love for the game and wanting it to succeed.

Please fix this and change the glow to full stacks only.
    • LukosCreyden
      LukosCreyden
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      dcrush wrote: »
      Hi @ZOS_Kevin - this thread is currently at 21 pages, most of it negative responses. Have you gathered enough feedback yet?

They need time to let it "bake." :)
      Thank you for understanding!
      Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      A toggle is not the correct move as a solution as this is just one class ability, and would add needless UI changes when time and resources can be allocated elsewhere.

I disagree, a toggle would very good option if it allows players to toggle off all effects if they don't want to see them for whatever reasons. But they really need to something...
      Edited by Kendaric on November 11, 2023 11:38AM
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • emilyhyoyeon
        emilyhyoyeon
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        Kendaric wrote: »

I disagree, a toggle would very good option if it allows players to toggle off all effects if they don't want to see them for whatever reasons. But they really need to something...

I don't want to toggle off all effects though. I don't want to toggle any effects in any way except for grim focus. I don't even want to toggle grim focus off--I just don't want it to be permanent. I want it to go back to how it was pre update.

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on November 11, 2023 11:44AM
        IGN @ emilypumpkin
        Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
        Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
        Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
      • aspergalas4
        aspergalas4
        ✭✭✭✭
        I would argue Emily speaks for the majority on this particular toggle issue Kendaric judging from what's been said in this thread, while I do understand the desire for a toggle its just too niche an option when the problem is resolved by simply owning the mistake and fixing it by making the glow anything but permanent. It would already be a big issue if it were permanent just when the weapon is drawn and yet its there even when sheathed, its just not a good design choice at all. A clear mistake, and needs fixing. Doubling down trying to make it seem it was a purposeful choice by the devs is not a good look.

It's pretty unanimous that while some people like the glow, or want it to be toggleable, they are a very small minority and the wider NB community agrees it should just be visible at full stacks of the spell. Nothing more.
      • Arcanasx
        Arcanasx
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        For all the "make it glow at 5 stacks only" comments. It hasn't worked that way before. And no one has complained about it previously. The glow was already there regardless of how many stacks, and you should've always seen the glow at all times whenever you're expecting or in combat anyways; considering how important the skill is.

It would be a lot more reasonable to advocate for removing the glow when weapons are sheathed, similar to how enchants and arms pack visuals work, instead of using the new passive glow as a pretext to completely change the way the glow effect works simply because you personally don't like it.

Also, I wouldn't try to use the "majority" argument considering it has been mostly the same posters sticking around continuously making new posts to keep the thread going.

Edit: Meant to say sheathed.
        Edited by Arcanasx on November 12, 2023 10:59PM
      • Araneae6537
        Araneae6537
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Arcanasx wrote: »
        For all the "make it glow at 5 stacks only" comments. It hasn't worked that way before. And no one has complained about it previously. The glow was already there regardless of how many stacks, and you should've always seen the glow at all times whenever you're expecting or in combat anyways; considering how important the skill is.

It would be a lot more reasonable to advocate for removing the glow when weapons are unsheathed, similar to how enchants and arms pack visuals work, instead of using the new passive glow as a pretext to completely change the way the glow effect works simply because you personally don't like it.

Also, I wouldn't try to use the "majority" argument considering it has been mostly the same posters sticking around continuously making new posts to keep the thread going.

My weapons didn’t have constant red blobs around them before just from having a skill slotted and having it on whenever weapons are unsheathed would be as bad for me as it obliterates the weapon style I paid for. If a skill requires being cast to make an effect, that’s not the same thing at all. I don’t see any point in the current effect since it doesn’t mean anything, but I’m all for ZOS making such weapon effects/styles available to those who like the look.
      • Arcanasx
        Arcanasx
        ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a lot more reasonable to advocate for removing the glow when weapons are unsheathed, similar to how enchants and arms pack visuals work, instead of using the new passive glow as a pretext to completely change the way the glow effect works simply because you personally don't like it.

My weapons didn’t have constant red blobs around them before just from having a skill slotted and having it on whenever weapons are unsheathed would be as bad for me as it obliterates the weapon style I paid for. If a skill requires being cast to make an effect, that’s not the same thing at all. I don’t see any point in the current effect since it doesn’t mean anything, but I’m all for ZOS making such weapon effects/styles available to those who like the look.

Were you not already "obliterating" the weapon style you paid for before, whenever you would activate the skill, which should have been there whenever your weapons are unsheathed?

Previously, at what point would you unsheathe your weapons, yet decide not to have the skill activated? Because having your weapons unsheathed typically means your fighting, which again, considering the historical importance of the skill, should've always been active at all times during combat anyways.

If this is about RPing and wanting to take a picture of your NB with weapons out but you don't like the glow...just unslot it, take the picture, then put it back on whenever you're going to start content where you'd want to use the skill.

Complaining about having passive glow while your weapons are sheathed in a city is one thing, but asking for the glow to be removed for most of combat (the 5 stacks example) is a far more intrusive change considering how the skill has previously visually functioned compared to the new passive glow, especially since you have the choice to just unslot the skill whenever you're not expecting combat.
      • NoticeMeArkay
        NoticeMeArkay
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Conflicts with any UI that utilizes global lighting - Will continue to conflict with any UI of this particular style in the future:

lrh6tut56vb1.png

Is permanently visible upon slotting (just skilling on console), rendering already purchased weapon packs obsolete and straight up robbing people who bought the Gloambound weapons.

k17lr14v3hdg.png

Mentioning in the patch notes that the ability will be highlighted on the bar once the max amount of stacks is reached, the place where people are less likely to look at during combat than their own character, while not mentioning in any section that the glow is now permanent once the skill is slotted does only make this whole thing more look like a "Whoopsie".
        What makes more sense as an indicator? A shimmering small icon at the bottom of the screen OR a really damn visible glow suddenly coming off from your character mid combat?

eiau4u7xehmo.png

Edited by NoticeMeArkay on November 11, 2023 11:50PM
      • Arcanasx
        Arcanasx
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Conflicts with any UI that utilizes global lighting - Will continue to conflict with any UI of this particular style in the future:

lrh6tut56vb1.png

Is permanently visible upon slotting (just skilling on console), rendering already purchased weapon packs obsolete and straight up robbing people who bought the Gloambound weapons.

k17lr14v3hdg.png

Mentioning in the patch notes that the ability will be highlighted on the bar once the max amount of stacks is reached, the place where people are less likely to look at during combat than their own character, while not mentioning in any section that the glow is now permanent once the skill is slotted does only make this whole thing more look like a "Whoopsie".
        What makes more sense as an indicator? A shimmering small icon at the bottom of the screen OR a really damn visible glow suddenly coming off from your character mid combat?

eiau4u7xehmo.png

What you're showing in those screenshots would be fixed if they removed the glow when weapons are sheathed.
        Especially for the gloambound arms pack, which always seems to be the main visual example as to why people believe the glow should basically be removed.

Also, basically no one complained about the icon changing at five stacks before passive glow became a thing. Kind of odd how its now suddenly an issue.
        Edited by Arcanasx on November 12, 2023 12:53AM
      • NoticeMeArkay
        NoticeMeArkay
        ✭✭✭✭✭

What you're showing in those screenshots would be fixed if they removed the glow when weapons are sheathed.
        Especially for the gloambound arms pack, which always seems to be the main visual example as to why people believe the glow should basically be removed.

Also, basically no one complained about the icon changing at five stacks before passive glow became a thing. Kind of odd how its now suddenly an issue.

[snip] No, I posted a simple summary of the issues reported in order to keep the topic of this thread afloat.
        And nobody, including me, said that the change of the icon was bothersome. [snip]
        Also no, as console players have already reported, sticking the glow to the "sheathed status" wouldn't fix the issue. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
        Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 13, 2023 3:52PM
      • Araneae6537
        Araneae6537
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭

Were you not already "obliterating" the weapon style you paid for before, whenever you would activate the skill, which should have been there whenever your weapons are unsheathed?

Previously, at what point would you unsheathe your weapons, yet decide not to have the skill activated? Because having your weapons unsheathed typically means your fighting, which again, considering the historical importance of the skill, should've always been active at all times during combat anyways.

If this is about RPing and wanting to take a picture of your NB with weapons out but you don't like the glow...just unslot it, take the picture, then put it back on whenever you're going to start content where you'd want to use the skill.

Complaining about having passive glow while your weapons are sheathed in a city is one thing, but asking for the glow to be removed for most of combat (the 5 stacks example) is a far more intrusive change considering how the skill has previously visually functioned compared to the new passive glow, especially since you have the choice to just unslot the skill whenever you're not expecting combat.

If an effect is only effective upon activating the skill, then I can have it there in case I need it but that doesn’t mean I use it the moment I unsheathe my weapons. Maybe you might more often in PvP? Idk, I never played NB much in PvP, but I only used the Grim Focus in boss fights. But I’d rather have it there for when I need it rather than have to stop and slot it just to not have this constant effect.

I’m all for people having options and ZOS should give everyone regardless of class the option to have glowing weapons of whatever color. I don’t like it. I tried to ignore it but it just looks too awful IMHO. I’m glad you like it, or notice no difference, or whatever, but I chose nightblade to have fewer effects in my face and I simply want the skills to visually work as they did before.
      • Arcanasx
        Arcanasx
        ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip] No, I posted a simple summary of the issues reported in order to keep the topic of this thread afloat.
        And nobody, including me, said that the change of the icon was bothersome. [snip]
        Also no, as console players have already reported, sticking the glow to the "sheathed status" wouldn't fix the issue. [snip]

If you post on the forums, be prepared to be addressed and critiqued.

"Mentioning in the patch notes that the ability will be highlighted on the bar once the max amount of stacks is reached, the place where people are less likely to look at during combat than their own character, while not mentioning in any section that the glow is now permanent once the skill is slotted does only make this whole thing more look like a "Whoopsie".
        What makes more sense as an indicator? A shimmering small icon at the bottom of the screen OR a really damn visible glow suddenly coming off from your character mid combat?"

You (and others) were implying that the icon change was an issue for you in the sense that it was a missed opportunity, because you implied that having the glow only at max stacks would be a superior indicator over having the skill icon glow, as a supportive argument in favor of limiting the glow to only max stacks, which also mimics what some others on this thread want as a change. And the fact that you got as defensive as you did even as I mentioned that they could remove the glow for sheathed weapons as a compromise/fix for the issues you attempted to highlight, further indicates that solution still isn't good enough for you, which further implies your support for only wanting the glow at max stacks.

There's also this new idea being perpetuated that arms pack visuals have suddenly become "obsolete" ever since the change, yet somehow they weren't before. So with this is mind in regards to arms packs, people are now complaining about:

(A) They are upset over passive glow when their weapons are sheathed and they're not fighting.
        (B) That they no longer have control over activating the ability, even as they engage in combat.

(A) I can understand. The glow for sheathed gloamsbound for example looks like an oversight.
        (B) To me this is silly, because now they're attempting to use arms pack visuals as a pretext to remove/severely limit the glow when no one has complained about it before.

This, combined with your previous posts in this thread also help to bring context and solidify where your position is on the matter which can be easily interpreted as; you despise passive glow and want it removed.

As for the console players, that's a bug that needs to be fixed, that's it. Doesn't mean the skill needs to be visually reworked (and screwing over PC players as a result) because of a bug that can be fixed.

[edited to remove quote]
        Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 13, 2023 3:53PM
      • Arcanasx
        Arcanasx
        ✭✭✭✭✭

If an effect is only effective upon activating the skill, then I can have it there in case I need it but that doesn’t mean I use it the moment I unsheathe my weapons. Maybe you might more often in PvP? Idk, I never played NB much in PvP, but I only used the Grim Focus in boss fights. But I’d rather have it there for when I need it rather than have to stop and slot it just to not have this constant effect.

I’m all for people having options and ZOS should give everyone regardless of class the option to have glowing weapons of whatever color. I don’t like it. I tried to ignore it but it just looks too awful IMHO. I’m glad you like it, or notice no difference, or whatever, but I chose nightblade to have fewer effects in my face and I simply want the skills to visually work as they did before.

So in a way you've already been playing un-optimally if you haven't been activating the skill against non-boss NPCs because you're missing out on the passive weapon/spell damage bonus per stack. Personally I really don't think going out of your way to play un-optimally is a good enough reason to change the skill to only glow at max stacks like others have suggested here.

While I'm definitely all for having more options available for visual choice, unfortunately the only realistic compromise I can see them even do at this point is to disable the glow when your weapons are sheathed, other than reverting the change and making it an activated skill again. If they change it to glow at max stacks only, people absolutely will be upset and complain about it; just look at the agrees and awesome's on the threads second post on the first page. Its nowhere near as one sided as some people have been claiming here.
      • Vrelanier
        Vrelanier
        ✭✭✭
        I never used to have grim focus slotted, because it was a pain in the behind to tell it to start working and the timer would run off between mobs and I'd never get to the proc, so it was pointless to me. They changed how it works, and now I love to use it. I just hate the red glow, so I use an addon to change the skills on the action bar with a keybind, to unslot grim focus when I'm not doing more challenging content, so I don't have to look at it when I'm doing writs or something. The glow is overpowering in every mog, making all mog changes pointless, and it makes me paranoid when doing antiquities. They would've changed it already if they were going to.

It bothers me that there's no counter for the stacks anymore. With my internet and computer I know my light attacks don't always register in game. Now without the stack counter it makes the skill feel really unreliable. But I do like it when it eventually procs, so I got that goin for me which is nice.
      • emilyhyoyeon
        emilyhyoyeon
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        I don't understand people coming to the thread and to say everyone just rehashes the same points over and over again, but there's consistently people coming in here giving arguments that have been addressed 16 other times in those rehashed posts.
        IGN @ emilypumpkin
        Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
        Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
        Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)