Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shihp00 wrote: »
    it's like everyone ignored the part when I said there should be a toggle.
    Yes, Becuz they Made The Buff Permanent (and part of that skill is having its glow effect).
    If people here who claims to "play Nightblade a lot" Actually Played it (not just AFK'ing), they'd know that you'd be constantly glowing while actively playing this class, prior to them making this change.

Some of the screenshots here is seriously how you'd look majority of the time you're in PVP (even if you're crouched) before the change, so it's funny when they start acting like the glow has never been there (it's almost like it's their first time playing and seeing it lmao).

I understand that not everyone likes the glow, but why should they only listen to one group's opinion? (especially when most of them aren't even playing the class?)
    I just hope they give is All an Option.

Before, I would only get the glow when Grim Focus was slotted and the ability was ready to use.

The glow stayed Even when it wasn't Fully stacked or Sheathed (You just needed to cast it once and it will stay til' the CD is over). That's why they said the glow was intended when they made the buff permanent.

all just a matter of preference/opinion. Hating or Liking the Glow won't make someone "Right" about this situation.
    It's like people ignored the part where I said "I understand not liking it; but there should just be a Toggle".

They're not going to introduce a toggle just for Grim Focus Glows and I highly doubt they'll manage sufficient granularity for anything more generic.

If ZOS wants to introduce a glowing weapon cosmetic they can add one instead of imposing it on every Nightblade out there and rendering actually paid for cosmetics like Undaunted Arms packs unusable ontop. The idea that this approach is in any way okay in principle is bizarre.
    Options
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Yes, Becuz they Made The Buff Permanent (and part of that skill is having its glow effect).
    If people here who claims to "play Nightblade a lot" Actually Played it (not just AFK'ing), they'd know that you'd be constantly glowing while actively playing this class, prior to them making this change.

Some of the screenshots here is seriously how you'd look majority of the time you're in PVP (even if you're crouched) before the change, so it's funny when they start acting like the glow has never been there (it's almost like it's their first time playing and seeing it lmao).

I understand that not everyone likes the glow, but why should they only listen to one group's opinion? (especially when most of them aren't even playing the class?)

Before, I would only get the glow when Grim Focus was slotted and the ability was ready to use.

The glow stayed Even when it wasn't Fully stacked or Sheathed (You just needed to cast it once and it will stay til' the CD is over). That's why they said the glow was intended when they made the buff permanent.

all just a matter of preference/opinion. Hating or Liking the Glow won't make someone "Right" about this situation.
    It's like people ignored the part where I said "I understand not liking it; but there should just be a Toggle".

They're not going to introduce a toggle just for Grim Focus Glows and I highly doubt they'll manage sufficient granularity for anything more generic.

If ZOS wants to introduce a glowing weapon cosmetic they can add one instead of imposing it on every Nightblade out there and rendering actually paid for cosmetics like Undaunted Arms packs unusable ontop. The idea that this approach is in any way okay in principle is bizarre.

they could but they usually go for the easier fix.
    there are also many players who refuse to get the arms packs due to the effects not being permanent.

lyk i sed, matter of preference. People losing their eyesight while playing "flashy classes" don't speak for me, but I still try to understand and respect their opinion.
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not quite certain how you can take everything so backwards. This 'People refusing to get arms packs' is another example.

The problem here is retroactively imposing it.

It doesn't matter whether people won't buy arms packs, it matters that people already did.
    It doesn't matter whether people like, dislike, prefer the glow or not, it matters that ZOS is imposing a change on every nightblade that presently exists.

Stop trying to create this false equivalency here.
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop trying to create this false equivalency here.

1k times this ^

I don't get how people or zos can't understand this very easy difference

Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    There is another factor to this, which obviously ZOS has not realized yet: looking at that invasive and intense red glow all evening for several hours leads to eye fatigue and headaches. I had to stop playing, because my eyes just couldn't handle seeing that glow front and center for hours. And I also didn't appreciate the headache that I had by the end of the gaming evening.

I have never had a headache from playing ESO before. Now I do.

This is the correct strategy for getting rid of the red glow, as this method worked for nerfing the Arcanist effects that were fine for 5 weeks on PTS.

If there's something you don't like in the game, just get a bunch of people to describe the ill physical effects it causes, and it will be addressed. Maybe not in the best or most efficient way, but they will at least take some sort of action.

Most of the Arcanist skills that causes people issues are completely unchanged? They only made the triangles stop spin as much and not be permanent.

ZOS is just loving adding headache and eye pain causing glowing nonsense in the game lately.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    I want everyone to have an option, how am I the one taking everything "backwards"?
    seems like it's only 'inconsiderate' when people like it.

Also you got nothing to worry about, just like in the past they'll most likely end up removing it anyway.
    I'm juz here trying to give them perspective. hai zos big fan, perma glow system when? o:)
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want everyone to have an option, how am I the one taking everything "backwards"?

Also you got nothing to worry about, just like in the past they'll most likely end up removing it anyway.
    I'm juz here trying to give them perspective. hai zos big fan, perma glow system when? o:)

I will try to explain it to you.
    You said in your post "matter of preference"

Buying or not buyiong a glowing arm pack is a matter of preference, you like it, you buy it and wear it. You don't like it, you don't buy it.

Grim focus permaglow on the other hand is not a matter of preference but a mandatory intrusive visual effect that has been imposed to all NBs.

Can you see the difference?
    Options
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »

Buying or not buyiong a glowing arm pack is a matter of preference, you like it, you buy it and wear it. You don't like it, you don't buy it.

Grim focus permaglow on the other hand is not a matter of preference but a mandatory intrusive visual effect that has been imposed to all NBs.

wow, you just explained Why I Asked for a TOGGLE :D
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they could but they usually go for the easier fix.

No one has yet proven that the perma glow is not actually an unexpected side effect of making the effect itself active on both bars. People are assuming that the permanent glow was a design choice, rather than possibly being a bug that they either choose not to or are unable to fix without actually rolling back the changes to the skill itself. The fact that the red glow doesn't even line up with certain weapons indicates that there may be some unintended fallout that will never be addressed, as they have declared it as "working as intended."

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AstroST wrote: »

But it makes no sense to be a toggle — are there going to be individual toggles for every weapon effect or animation or how do you see that working? And what if you don’t want or don’t care about permaglow on a nightblade but really want glowing weapons for your templar? A new weapon style or even a new type dye would give you what you’re asking for and more, right? Or maybe that is what you have in mind and you aren’t literally asking for toggle on the wonky ‘relentless glow’. :grin:
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A toggle to do what?

Do you seriously believe there will be a menu option to specifically turn on/off the glow of Grim Focus? Do you believe there should be one specifically for that, that it would be good game design? That this is a good precedent to set?

ZOS messed up. It was a botched change that rendered cosmetic arms packs pointless and imposed extremely prominent visuals on a massive amount of players. It doesn't need a switch to turn the botched result on or off, it needs to be fixed.

And then they can introduce a red glow cosmetic if they want.

You're pretending there are two equal opinions on this here. There aren't.

Options
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭

The toggle idea makes no sense at all. All of these skill effects have a purpose. They indicate the state of the skill so the player and others can tell what is going on, especially in PvP.

When I hear and see an enemy player use Corrosive Armor, I get away from them for the duration. When I see the sorc frags animation, I block. These visual cues are necessary for fair counter play.

The red glow of Grim Focus used to let you know the NB had activated the skill in preparation to use it (it should have always indicated at ready spec bow instead). Now that the skill is always active and builds stacks automatically, the glow should indicate when the skill is ready to fire, as it always should have done. Especially since spec bow has the damage potential of an ultimate ability and being able to anticipate it is often life or death.

Having it glow all the time merely tells you the skill is slotted, and so it doesn't give any useful information at all about its state during combat. This was clearly an oversight, regardless of what anyone tries to claim otherwise.
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A toggle was already in the game.
    Do you like flashing, glowing things? Use them
    You don't like flashing, glowing things? Don't use them

They have broken the toggle that was already in game, I'm just asking to put it back
    Options
  • kuhjo
    kuhjo
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of the forced upon perma red glow for a couple of reasons. See how some people say Nightblade colors are red and black, but I like green and black. Picked out weapon packs to match in looks and glow effects too, and the Thurvokun set worked best for my Bosmer character. So seeing a big red glow on top of the green mist glow is frustrating, and the fact it stays even while weapons are sheathed. I see some asking for a toggle option, but I wonder would it be targeted for class effects or all glowing effects? I can agree with the idea that it glows when reaching the five stacks to show the proc is ready. The idea to play how I want and like I have to remove a staple ability because someone actually thought this was a great idea is just - yeah. This should've been considered more with the remarks made in PTS before going live.
    1t27ldm0ylde.png
    hyzmd9rflzun.png
    Options
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just wanted to follow up here. Thanks for the feedback so far. The Grim Focus glow is working as intended currently. However, we are monitoring player feedback on this. In feedback, please make sure to note why you like or dislike the glow, as we have seen player feedback regarding both.

You have 13 pages and 370 comments, I wonder if you deem us worthy of having some answer, or it is too much to ask?
    Options
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think the glow looks cool for the most part (big exception on bows, where it looks terrible), but tying it to a skill being slotted, thereby forcing it on everyone who uses that skill, is not a good choice in my opinion. I would prefer to see it tied to a weapon style. This would open up a whole new world of style choices with cool glowy/flamy/sparky/etc effects.

Barring that, having the glow only when the weapon is unsheathed would be a 2nd best option to me, in addition to fixing the terrible appearance on bows.
    Edited by Marcus684 on September 20, 2023 3:21PM
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... I haven't read this thread, and I'm sure this has already been suggested. Let me add my vote to that suggestion.

I finally spent some time on my Nightblade with Grim Focus, and the permaglow wasn't as big a pain point as I assumed it would. A much bigger pain point was being able to tell when the proc was ready.

Please change it so that the glow only happens when the proc is ready. That would give me an instant, obvious cue that it's time to fire a spectral arrow.
    Options
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I'm in despair.
    I suspect the game creators enjoy tormenting Nightblade.
    Options
  • Thy_Game_Is_Over
    Thy_Game_Is_Over
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like glowy weapons or skills or orbs floating around me to give away what i'm wearing or doing without being asked. all this showy nonsense isn't needed or desired.
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, ZOS continues to reject my refund request for the Arms Packs that I can effectively no longer use together with Grim Focus.

Time for a wallet vote, myself.
    Options
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PvP a lot but was just wondering, is there any other class where you can tell what class the opposing player is before they have cast any skill? I can't think of any, but like I said, I don't PvP a lot. If not it seems that would be a pretty unfair advantage going into a fight knowing exactly what you're up against before the opponent has cast a single skill.

I'm pretty unhappy with the glow myself and have been considering asking for a refund on various weapon packs I've purchased in order to get a certain look, particularly the Gloambound Arms Pack.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »
    I don't PvP a lot but was just wondering, is there any other class where you can tell what class the opposing player is before they have cast any skill? I can't think of any, but like I said, I don't PvP a lot. If not it seems that would be a pretty unfair advantage going into a fight knowing exactly what you're up against before the opponent has cast a single skill.

No one can see your red glow but you.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Kirawolfe
    Kirawolfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can this please be turned back to the way it was? This constant glow is irritating and I miss the action that came with triggering it.

Or, make them glow only in combat, or just after triggering the animation for funsies, but keep the toggle on/off which folks seem to appreciate.

It's really bright and makes no sense as I'm trying to creep around and ... um... *borrow* stuff.
    Options
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, ZOS continues to reject my refund request for the Arms Packs that I can effectively no longer use together with Grim Focus.

Time for a wallet vote, myself.

Come to think of it, I also bought an arms pack just to use with my nightblade, and I don't love how grim focus clashes with the arms pack effect. :/
    Options
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then go ask for refunds. Even if rejected, the feedback gets collected.
    Options
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭

It would stay on for just a little while, but it would not stay on forever. I submitted numerous screenshots of monthly costume changes to my character over the past several years since I started playing, and there have been a couple of them where her daggers are glowing at her sides because I activated it, and I wanted the effect for the image.

But, there are also plenty of them where her daggers are at her side or drawn, and there is no glow around them!

I even have a previous image of her with her bow drawn, which has a nice white glow around it that I like, which now gets drowned out by all of the red being so constant!

deo62e8-dd142302-33a9-4cef-8a2b-f613ff10afd3.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzI4ZTNhZTdlLTEwZGMtNDZjNi05NDg4LWYwMGFhZTU1NmNkZFwvZGVvNjJlOC1kZDE0MjMwMi0zM2E5LTRjZWYtOGEyYi1mNjEzZmYxMGFmZDMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.olXqN4YArxn1rqiuB0rdwQcrGkuLXL4CdHutfseVXaA

dg7ry0o-973ace8e-6e4d-4133-bdaf-4604b0be84f8.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzI4ZTNhZTdlLTEwZGMtNDZjNi05NDg4LWYwMGFhZTU1NmNkZFwvZGc3cnkwby05NzNhY2U4ZS02ZTRkLTQxMzMtYmRhZi00NjA0YjBiZTg0ZjguanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.7dRd9ijXxPHysV1bsf8uvRLTxJf38heA_Q-xfOyybxE

Options
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xzqzdp2latiq.png

I took it as a bug when I first saw it. That's how awful it looks to me.
    I miss to spot the added functionality due to making the glow permanent out of combat.
    The change to the spells mechanic are great and absolutely adding positively to my experience. The enforced permanent glow didn't have me spend more time on my nightblade than I need to rush through the crafting dailies.
    When I bought two weapon packs for my nightblade alone, I was never in any way informed that they may end up overwritten by skill effects permanently. And I still refuse to believe that this change was "intended".

You folks are capable of designing breathtakingly beautiful visuals in all different forms. Zones, spells, weapon effects.
    This looks like a bug in comparison to the rest of your content. My reason fruits in respect and trust build up over the years while witnessing the visual progress of your work. But this disappoints me to a degree where I simply feel scammed.

I know it never was your intend to leave that impression on any of your players.
    So for a last time I use this thread to kindly ask you to revert this change.
    Options
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and I'm fine with it. Always wanted it actually and I'm a long-time NB player.
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like it. I wasn't even using Grim Focus, but the hubbub over the red glow spurred me to investigate, and now I'm using Grim Focus regularly. On the Ashlander Battle Axe that my Nightblade main uses, the red glow appears as a red globe in the exact center of the two blades' wishbone-like formation, as though it were being held in place magnetically or electrically by the two blades. And when I'm fighting enemies, the red glow gets replaced by the yellow-orange glow of the weapon's Absorb Health enchantment. I quite like it. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    And when I'm fighting enemies, the red glow gets replaced by the yellow-orange glow of the weapon's Absorb Health enchantment. I quite like it. :)

This is my nightblade using a bow with a health absorb enchantment on a dummy on PTS right now.
    I fail to spot the appearance of the orange glow and the disappearance of the still permanent red glow by grim focus.
    The indicator for an active health absorb enchant can be recognised by the red and green particles emitting from my characters model upon hit. The whirlwind effect on the dummy comes from Relequens 5pc effect.

gv8pmadqy1sc.png

Options