Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Grim Focus Permaglow

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my refund request was denied as well.

Voting with your wallet is the way to go. Tell them you're voting with your wallet, too. For me it wasn't the chapter, but I'm refraining from buying cosmetics now.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Yeah, my refund request was denied as well.

Voting with your wallet is the way to go. Tell them you're voting with your wallet, too. For me it wasn't the chapter, but I'm refraining from buying cosmetics now.

You're right.

I don't buy arms packs, but I do buy cosmetics: costumes, hairstyles, adornments, jewellery...

Why bother, if it all turns red, no matter what I do with it?

I think I'll refrain from now on. Saves me a lot of money...
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shihp00 wrote: »
    I want everyone to have an option, how am I the one taking everything "backwards"?
    seems like it's only 'inconsiderate' when people like it.

Also you got nothing to worry about, just like in the past they'll most likely end up removing it anyway.
    I'm juz here trying to give them perspective. hai zos big fan, perma glow system when? o:)

Remember that time when the majority of Templar users HATED the new Jabs animation and ZOS listened and reverted it back?
    .....Oh wait. /s

Sadly you're lucky IF ZOS decides to remove/revert things back.
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    JUSTICE FOR APEX CAMELS 🐪✨ Bring 'em back!
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ 🏹 EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🛡️ EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (Tank)
    • 👁️ 🏹 EP - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • 💀 🛡️ EP - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamNecro (Tank)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes:
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but this is far worse than what they did to jabs, and this is coming from a templar main who only uses his NBs for writs.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbf, the main reason why Jabs wasn't too bad for myself, personally, is because I could easily replace it with Wrecking Blow / Dizzying Swing ...
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Monday, another Patch, still not a fix for Grim Focus in sight.

@ZOS_Kevin You have been aware of this since July, and monitored since mid-August. Feedback has been overwhelmingly negative, and the implementation is bugged, inconsistent and directly interferes with paid cosmetics to the point that people have asked for refunds and no longer feel like buying further cosmetics out of concern that they, too, are going to get changed. It's quite obviously not working as intended.

So what's the plan? Where is this improved communication? Multi-month radio silence isn't it.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This company makes some very weird choices of hill to die sometimes.
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This company makes some very weird choices of hill to die sometimes.

And none of the hills seem to have radio towers.
  • Kirawolfe
    Kirawolfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should only be up in combat, or allow for a toggle to either have it permanent or only in combat.

Hard to be a sneak thief when you're glowing like a lightbulb.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to chime in and remind people that the moderators might close the thread if comments derail in here.
    We all share similar feelings in regards of the permanent glow. Having this thread close will not serve our wish at all.

Let's just concentrate on documenting every single issue in here, wether it be cosmetic or mechanical (Playability, interference with UI elements and so on...). - So that, once there's the time for the moderators or even our community manager to pass this thread along as feedback, it will deliver exactly that.

Clear, unmistakably, detailed feedback. Add pictures if you can.

Thank you.
    Edited by NoticeMeArkay on October 2, 2023 4:45PM
  • Thy_Game_Is_Over
    Thy_Game_Is_Over
    ✭✭✭
    So i just would like to point out thatif your main reason for subscribing to eso plus is the craft bag, you could buy 10 basic accounts on sale for 5.99 us each. 60$ plus tax gets you 5 guild banks with 500 items each you could then have your main account join a few of them.

If you use steam, the steam client will remember up to 5 account logins such that you dont have to re-enter your password every time. but dont do more than 5 or you will need to renter them all every time.

Then you can use one guild bank for mats, another for gear and another for whatever else you have need and so on and then maybe one for saving those items for later to resell at higher prices.

I have expressed my thoughts on what permaglow represents and you may have noticed i was gone for 6 days. you can draw your own conclusions about that.
    Edited by Thy_Game_Is_Over on October 2, 2023 4:54PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is simply no good reason for a permaglow to be there:

1) It does not inform other players. Other players cannot even see it and while indication that the skill is charged could be useful, that it is slotted really is not.

2) It does not inform the player. Again, visual indication of a temporary status, like the Arcanist’s crux, would be useful, and then we might discuss what sort of visual cue players prefer, but at least then it would have a purpose and would be temporary.

3) It is completely unsatisfactory cosmetically.
    (a) For players who might like a permanent red glow to their weapons, I would think many would want a cosmetic effect to be visible to others as well, and would want the glow to match the shape of the weapon. This glow effect is laughably bad in some cases, making it appear it was meant to be just a temporary in-combat effect but has now bugged to be permanently on.
    (b) Some players choose their classes, sets, and playstyle based on how well the visuals match their character concept. I have made several nightblades because I liked the less distinctive visuals and it let me create my idea of different character types or simply not look at visuals that I don’t care for.
    (c) Many players work toward unlocking motifs/styles and dyes, pay not only in-game gold, but real money through the Crown store, to achieve their desired look for a character. A permanent red glow obliterates the appearance that players have paid for. Now they must choose between playing their class effectively (if DPS) or keeping the look they already invested in? How is that right?

(Edited for typos and clarity.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 2, 2023 7:42PM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (b) Some players choose their classes, sets, and playstyle based on how well the visuals match their character concept. I made several nightblades because I liked the less distinctive visuals and it let me create my idea of different character types or simply not look at visuals that I don’t care for.

Everything in that post really, but this deserves emphasis because "Ditto, same for me!"
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (b) Some players choose their classes, sets, and playstyle based on how well the visuals match their character concept. I made several nightblades because I liked the less distinctive visuals and it let me create my idea of different character types or simply not look at visuals that I don’t care for.

Everything in that post really, but this deserves emphasis because "Ditto, same for me!"

I want to illustrate this point because it truly is one of the things that made me choose ESO when I was trying different MMORPG games -- that I could make characters that looked how I wished, including a more realistic fantasy look. I mention this to emphasize the importance to me of defining my characters in a game.

I wanted to make my Bosmer Nightblade look like a ranger-type character who fit in the everyday world of Tamriel and eventually got her the Bow of Shadows. See how the look is ruined by the permaglow from Grim Focus; notice how it even becomes the dominant light source, casting a glow around her feet and even highlighting her face through the hood, ugh.
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

For fun I wanted to give her a nature-magicky look, and bought the Chokethorn weapons in part for that green glow. Again, see how the look is ruined by the permaglow from Grim Focus.
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 2, 2023 7:46PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I want to illustrate this point because it truly is one of the things that made me choose ESO when I was trying different MMORPG games -- that I could make characters that looked how I wished, including a more realistic fantasy look. I mention this to emphasize the importance to me of defining my characters in a game.

This is the number one reason that will keep me playing this game and not drop it after TES 6 comes out. I've been making and developing characters in the TES world for over 15 years (which is even way less than other people); character customization in these games means everything to me.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • YORKSHIRE76
    YORKSHIRE76
    ✭✭✭

I wanted to make my Bosmer Nightblade look like a ranger-type character who fit in the everyday world of Tamriel and eventually got her the Bow of Shadows. See how the look is ruined by the permaglow from Grim Focus; notice how it even becomes the dominant light source, casting a glow around her feet and even highlighting her face through the hood, ugh.
    4s8vg8blazcf.pngchfbko9oa0eo.png

For fun I wanted to give her a nature-magicky look, and bought the Chokethorn weapons in part for that green glow. Again, see how the look is ruined by the permaglow from Grim Focus.
    3z32vcrhok2j.pngag9z8byp5vhy.png

• YORKSHIRE76
    YORKSHIRE76
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh that chokethorn looks really bad. I feel bad for you.
    [
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bow really speaks so loud about new standard of ESO quality.
    Imagine spending money in this game when a developer on a whim can totally ruin what you have bought.
    [snip] at least they should refund things they have broken.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 7, 2023 3:34PM
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my two cents on this, I think the perma glow should only turn on when the weapons are out. If the bow/daggers or whatever are sheathed then there really is no reason for them to glow. I dunno if anything has changed but last time I used it that's what I saw. In fact yeah I'd like to also request that ZOS please shut off the glow -at least- while the weapons are put away.

That said, I like the change to Assassin's Will in general.
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 2, 2023 10:59PM
    "I know that someday that sun is bound to shine." -Ella Fitzgerald
  • Morgaledh
    Morgaledh
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh that chokethorn looks really bad. I feel bad for you.
    [

OOf, it really does. I've seen some messes the grim focus change made, but that's one of the worst I've seen.

I'll try to post some pics of what this horrible design flaw does to Gloambound weapons (for which we paid money, mainly so that things would be invisible...), particularly staves. With a Gloambound staff on the back, there is a little red glowing light above the shoulder that just hangs there, following you around, and that's all you see.

There is simply no way, no way, that this was what was intended. I'll get some shots when I can.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    Just my two cents on this, I think the perma glow should only turn on when the weapons are out. If the bow/daggers or whatever are sheathed then there really is no reason for them to glow. I dunno if anything has changed but last time I used it that's what I saw. In fact yeah I'd like to also request that ZOS please shut off the glow -at least- while the weapons are put away.

I think it should not glow at all unless temporarily while equipped and to indicate maximum charges or whatever. The Chokethorn bow, for instance, only has it’s own glow when out, so I’d still never see it if Grim Permaglow was active on any drawn weapons. It would still look bad and it would still serve no useful purpose.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should not glow at all unless temporarily while equipped and to indicate maximum charges or whatever. The Chokethorn bow, for instance, only has it’s own glow when out, so I’d still never see it if Grim Permaglow was active on any drawn weapons. It would still look bad and it would still serve no useful purpose.

Well so, there's alot of things in this game that kind of falls in line with not serving a useful purpose.

Some how though I get the feeling they're probably going to end up rolling this back completely. But then that also makes me think that it would be nice if we could customize these effects. Kind of like how outfits hide whatever you're really wearing, be nice to be able to customize these to hide whatever enchant we're really using.

Its a luxury thing though, def more important things to be concerned with. Its an idea.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a luxury thing though, def more important things to be concerned with. Its an idea.

It's not really a luxury thing if it

a) gives me a migraine when I have to look at that bright glow for the time I play
    b) ruins every customization that I have *bought* with real life money

If I buy green dye, then I want to see a green shirt, not a glowy reddish/greenish shirt. Same with all the other cosmetics, costumes, weapons packs, dies etc.
  • BalmoraBlue
    BalmoraBlue
    Soul Shriven
    I was really excited about it at first when i read the patchnotes, but after some time actually playing on my stamblade main it became a huge eyesore.
    The initial idea is neat and i don't hate it, but the glow itself is just WAY TOO intense and it even glows with the same vibrancy while weapons are sheathed which i think is a bit too much.

I am not a big fan of "glowy things" to begin with and i am sorry if i am raining on someone's parade rn. It's just not my cup of tea, it's not to say that it's bad or anything, but i'd rather have the permaglow off, like we had before, instead of what we have now.
    This should be optional for people who enjoy things like that and that skill is way too crucial to play without it.

If it could be toned down a bit - i'd be on board with that, because for now i feel like a car with red neon lights installed :\
    Sometimes i even take it off my skill bar to let my eyes rest a bit and to see my character without a constant aura of red. Maybe it doesn't have to go completely, but making it just a bit more dimm could do the trick.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the strongest Nightblade skills that has been made even better with the same patch that brought the permaglow and it still made people remove it from their bars, ask for Crown Store refunds and complain to ZOS for almost 2 months straight.

I don't think calling it just a luxury thing is appropriate here.

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was a bug that would get fixed but it was intended? Yikes.

Please remove the red glow.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not really a luxury thing if it

a) gives me a migraine when I have to look at that bright glow for the time I play
    b) ruins every customization that I have *bought* with real life money

If I buy green dye, then I want to see a green shirt, not a glowy reddish/greenish shirt. Same with all the other cosmetics, costumes, weapons packs, dies etc.

I think the lines are getting crossed here. I'm talking about people being able to change the colorized effects of their weapons at will. It would be something optional for the individual player to decide on. For example, lets say I want like a blue effect on my daggers regardless of which enchantment I'm using. Then my idea would provide for that and the player can decide how it should look for themselves. Obviously that choice would override other things just like how dyes and outfits work now.

What about my post suggested you wouldn't be able to choose your own colors when the idea pitch specifically said it would be customizable? However this 'idea' is a luxury, a vanity. Not the most important change needing to be made to the game atm. Yes it is regrettable they introduced the 'permaglow' change, it should be rolled back however going any further to make things work for everyone will probably take time (as it should) and server performance in places like Cyrodiil, as well as certain Trials, and other changes needed to fix problems that have existed for years should have priority over customizing enchant colors or weapons that already have their own effects.

Least you think they would instead of the change they made.
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 3, 2023 11:11PM
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the strongest Nightblade skills that has been made even better with the same patch that brought the permaglow and it still made people remove it from their bars, ask for Crown Store refunds and complain to ZOS for almost 2 months straight.

I don't think calling it just a luxury thing is appropriate here.

I don't disagree with you. Very interesting the impact it has had.

When I said luxury, I specifically was referring to my idea itself, for the player to be able to customize those enchantment effects. I never said the change that ZOS made was a luxury, only ideas like mine for improving immersion.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if ZOS should actually think about expanding this concept and making it so that enchantment effects truly can be chosen by the player and implemented, if nothing else to prevent wider scale issues as others have described on here.
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 3, 2023 10:56PM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah.

Yes, would be nice. But above all, I just want the permaglow gone. All else is secondary.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the glow should only appear once you gain full stacks on grim focus.