The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Developer Deep Dive - Core Combat Values

• The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wyjb0m45h7wd.jpg

Play The Way You Want
    We strive to provide freedom and flexibility that allow you to transform your character fantasy into a gameplay reality. We value diversity of choice and playstyle with abilities, weapons, and armor.
    • Health, Magicka, and Stamina as attributes
    • Class selection does not define or constrain role
    • Skill lines are discovered, and leveled up by using them
    • Many skill lines are staples from previous TES…

Keep an eye out next month for an overview of what to expect in Update 37 as it relates to combat. Again, thank you all for your continued passion and enjoyment of ESO. We'll see you on the field!

Love this, combat in ESO is the best part of it, and discovering skill lines in games is one of the most exciting things, mostly when they have active abilities, something missing from Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood.

Spellcrafting would follow this vision!

At the very least if we saw an update to the current guilds that were much more defined in prior TES games, next year, it would be a massive move in the right direction.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wyjb0m45h7wd.jpg

Play The Way You Want
    We strive to provide freedom and flexibility that allow you to transform your character fantasy into a gameplay reality. We value diversity of choice and playstyle with abilities, weapons, and armor.
    • Health, Magicka, and Stamina as attributes
    • Class selection does not define or constrain role
    • Skill lines are discovered, and leveled up by using them
    • Many skill lines are staples from previous TES…

Keep an eye out next month for an overview of what to expect in Update 37 as it relates to combat. Again, thank you all for your continued passion and enjoyment of ESO. We'll see you on the field!

Love this, combat in ESO is the best part of it, and discovering skill lines in games is one of the most exciting things, mostly when they have active abilities, something missing from Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood.

Spellcrafting would follow this vision!

At the very least if we saw an update to the current guilds that were much more defined in prior TES games, next year, it would be a massive move in the right direction.

100% agree that Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood have been neglected FOR TOO LONG! I want to see them become the focus in a new DLC.

100% disagree with SpellCrafting. You would not be able to contain it within a simple Skill line. It would take an entire Skill Tree! Too much this late in the game.
  • Nyxenwhite
    Nyxenwhite
    ✭✭✭
    I believe many others have shed light of pvp, hybridization, and other “veteran” player issues - so i’m going to steer another direction.

I think one core of the issue is that the game does not teach players how to combat.
    The tutorial teaches light & heavy attack, blocking, and roll dodge which is very Skyrim-like and far from ESO correct combat mechanics.

I believe that if the game wants to “raise the floor”, it would benefit from a training system style of arena where players can learn basic weaving, basic rotation, with role-specific applications. IE: the “learn-to-tank” portion of the arena would make you equip s&b, and require the new player to Puncture a couple NPCs and boss, hold block on stuns, and perhaps a debuff.

A DPS, healer, and tank arena levels with guided NPC dialogue would make the game much more enjoyable to the new players who get dropped in Stros Mkai, complain of “what to do next” and eventually get bored of light attacking mobs that ends up killing them, or spending a solid minute LA’ing them to death.

If you want player retention, teaching them how to play would be a solid base. If you want to raise the floor ZOS, do your part.

Nerfing the top translates in devaluating the time, money, efforts that your long-time, loyal players have spent in game. ESO has next-to-nothing rewards for completing difficult (or any) content for these players. It’s not lie that many have left, and more are leaving as they’re left to play alone in an MMO.
    Edited by Nyxenwhite on December 20, 2022 8:58PM
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have high hopes for U37 then, as recent changes have worried me a bit. I'm seeing a lot less diversity in builds than ever before. I admit part of that though is that rule that if given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of the game.

Only if you use the top groups as a benchmark. I think the goal seems to be making all playstyles more viable, irrespective of the endgame meta.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, what is our vision for combat in ESO? In a nutshell, we want combat to feel fun and rewarding to all players.

You're failing at your first point. Every fun skill my Nightblade had has been watered down over the years.
  • AltanasAExcalibur
    > Active Combat

Combat doesn't feel very active when it feels so floaty and where enemies are just HP-sponges. Even spamming heavy attack feels floaty. This has been the problem with Elder Scrolls and why combat mods are always popular to make the game a bit Dark Souls like.

> Mastery

The way this paragraph is worded seems to lean a bit too much on seeing big damage numbers. I would say that is not fun. That leads groups and guilds to be very demanding and stressful. It would be better if there was less reliance on big damage numbers and more emphasis on more intelligent enemies with more mechanics.

> Play The Way You Want
    > Elder Scrolls Inspired

These points play into each other. But the core attributes of Magic, Health and Stamina feel constrictive rather than opening up. If you do not commit all your points to stamina for a stamina build you will get funny looks from groups and guilds for example.

Really I think you should do away with the level 1 to 50 progression and just start new characters with the Champion Point system. That is somewhat more bespoke progression even if also artificially.

I also don't see much deck building going on.

Please add new skills, add new moprhs, add mastery skills to existing classes.

You should also add new weapons (spears, hand2hand melee, hand2hand spellcaster), and generally new skill lines. Magic in this game does not feel like Magic in Elder Scrolls. A lot of abilities and current magic feel more like Shouts in Skyrim rather than Magic in previous games. Can we have spellcrafting and have it not tied to weapons or classes. I started Oblivion wielding a fireball in my left hand a sword in my right hand. Let me do that?
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    >Please add new skills, add new moprhs, add mastery skills to existing classes.

You should also add new weapons (spears, hand2hand melee, hand2hand spellcaster), and generally new skill lines. Magic in this game does not feel like Magic in Elder Scrolls. A lot of abilities and current magic feel more like Shouts in Skyrim rather than Magic in previous games. Can we have spellcrafting and have it not tied to weapons or classes. I started Oblivion wielding a fireball in my left hand a sword in my right hand. Let me do that?

Would love to see this!!!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I think someone at ZOS has finally raised their hand and announced to the class that the amount of questing content exceeds the average time a player spends in the game before moving on.

Let's not forget the elephant in the room: performance.

Every new dungeon/chapter introduces more armor sets, achievements, and graphical assets that the servers have to deal with. And since they've been cutting out old parts of the game to make room for the new, there appears to be a finite amount of database space that can be used. At some point, logic dictates that it will reach critical mass, and then nothing will be able to be added without something else taken away. And since the hardware for PC/NA has already been replaced after a years long saga or parts acquisition, and the "code rewrite" appears to be just server side hyperthreading.... it doesn't look too promising for new content in the future.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Erorah
    Erorah
    ✭✭✭
    THIS:

Ingel_Riday:
    ""I wish my fingers were strong enough for your game design. I can't do the light-weaving. Clicking the mouse button every .9 seconds (for optimal dps) gets physically PAINFUL.
    This game expects rapid button pressing during the entirety of EVERY combat encounter to maintain maximum DPS.
    Even if I did get the optimal new gear and odd skills to counteract the nerfs and regain some of my lost performance, my bloody tendons can't do a click every .9 seconds. I'll never be "good" at this game. Not at the level the end-game demands.""

Dayhjawk:
    ""3. Light weaving, heavy attacking. Please keep! I can't keep doing light weaving. I have had to switch to heavy attacking and I really enjoy it, after weeks of pain all the way up to my arm from trying to do light weaving.""

This is me. This is my life. I CANNOT maintain this sort of 'key pressing skill work' for any amount of time.

Fastest Boss kill: 2m, 59s.
    Casts: 197
    Math: 179s / 197 casts = .9086
    CPM in the log for this fight was at 65.7

Longest Boss kill: 24m, 36s
    Casts: 1278!!
    Math: 1476 / 1278 =1.1549 [There were deaths]
    During the times I was alive, my CPM were 51.9. Meaning I was mostly keeping up. BUT I could no longer function as human with opposable thumbs shortly after.

So, how is EVERY NORMAL GAMER supposed to keep up with this sort of playstyle?

Just the fact that we need 2 hands to move properly [1 handed movement = strafe, as there is no proper camera view / turning in the game]. Movement alone should not require 2 separate peripherals [mouse AND keyboard, or even 2 joysticks].
    Then add to that movement the fighting skills, AND light attack weaving, AND bar swapping.

I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way. This might also be what is hindering most gamers from advancing in content. SO MUCH TO DO! And don't forget, you are standing in that AOE!

Yes, immersive action, feeling as though you control your character and your fight. This does go beyond the 'Auto Attack' of older MMOs. But this is WAY BEYOND. And frankly, I just cannot do it much longer. The actual pain is getting too great.

'Broken Hands E'

Editor: UESP.net > HOUSING! 📔 https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Furnishings
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet, we still have groups disbanding at the 1st boss of NORMAL Scalecaller Peak and the tether boss of FG2. One shot mechanics and woefully poor in-game explanations of said mechanics are a major problem.
    Edited by MakeMeUhSamich on December 20, 2022 9:06PM
  • MilkAndC00kies
    TBH in PvP i miss the old combat system where you had multiple option to do animation cancel to reach high APM rotation to get as much dmg output as you can, it was fast, fluid and engaging combat, where actual knowledge about the game after hours of L2P become rewarding. I don't like the current state of diversity in class skills. The game don't need nerf on light attack or removing animation canceling (literaly the only uniqueness about the game LMAO) it's just need fine tutorials for it. Unfortunetly i don't have any hope left about the combat anymore. SADGE
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solution to all this yada yada yada to me looks very simple: please revert combat to pre-u35 state. Then we will have all the time twe want to properly talk about how the combat should evolve making devs AND playerbase happy.
    Trust me, you'll regain player's trust and won't be disappointed.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    100% agree that Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood have been neglected FOR TOO LONG! I want to see them become the focus in a new DLC.

We can agree on that, why stop there though? I believe that the Mage’s Guild and Fighter’s Guild need love too. Traditionally, the games have seen these guilds as a fun ranking system feature where you work your way up to becoming a Master of the guild, similar to how Tales of Tribute is currently working, arguably the only feature I enjoy about it.

As far as combat goes, as this is a combat thread, I’m of the belief that our artists need a new direction, one that would provide @ZOS_BrianWheeler with new things to balance.

More abilities, less housing.

Our artists, the ones we ultimately pay for, could be fleshing out amazing new abilities for us to use, and new maps to fight other players on.
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    They talk the talk, but will they walk the walk? Sorry but we've heard this type of talk before, but never the less, Thank you ZOS for at least commenting and acknowledging our grievances. We speak out only because we love and enjoy Elder Scrolls Online. Its a great game, a great place to hang out with friends and the lore is wide as it is awesome, we hope you can pick up the ball from where you dropped it, and hit that home run.
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    I truly appreciate this communication, and I think it's clarifying from a general standpoint, but to be brutally honest, it's a bit like a politician's platform when campaigning for election: full of genuine promise and integrity, but short on details.

I think most of us can agree with those goals and think they're a good thing to continue to promote, but just as with the politics analogy - an awful lot can be lost once you start trying to hammer out those details.

I hope your teams can bring these goals to fruition - and contrary to many of my more snarky compatriots, I actually believe that you know how to do so.

However, as I have previously posted in these forums, I have a sneaking suspicion that the cost factor may be outweighing the decision(s) to implement many of the pieces of these goals.

In other words - even the best plans come to a screeching halt when the money-guys upstairs say "no".

So unfortunately, if these expressed goals represent the best result - we are left with what was "good enough", and frankly, that can be frustrating, as it varies depending on who you ask.

Thanks again for putting this out there, and here's hoping these goals are a floor, not a ceiling.

Cheers, Flang.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok... Thanks for sharing that I guess, but I'm pretty sure most players knew most of this high level statement already. I'm still not sure how any of this explains the wild changes and incomplete reworks we see every 3 months. I mean, if there has been any progress whatsoever over the last 8 years for implementing this vision, then surely you would not need to change so much every patch? I think what some players want to know is the following:

Where are we at on the rest of the hybridization changes? Has the remainder of hybridization been abandoned? Does the combat team deem the current state of U36 adequate?

Does the combat team see armor sets as expansions to player abilities? If so, how does the play-how-you-want philosophy tie in with the fact that the majority of sets in the game are useless for endgame and pvp?

We know the Champion point system is supposed to be a "horizontal progression system" but how does this add to the "deck building" aspect of player builds when there are options that are clear winners and little to no significant specialization? Sure, we have nodes that affect damage over time, direct damage, single-target, and area of effect, but all of them with incredibly small bonuses now compared to the time invested. Where are the nodes that allow us to specialize in poison damage or frost damage with higher values to remain competitive? The CP system is just not interesting and there's no incentive to gain higher levels in it.
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    Nyxenwhite wrote: »
    I believe many others have shed light of pvp, hybridization, and other “veteran” player issues - so i’m going to steer another direction.

I think one core of the issue is that the game does not teach players how to combat.

This x 1000. I get it -it's cheaper for ZOS to outsource teaching the game to YouTubers and other content creators because you don't have to pay them, but it creates instability in your player base. This strategy of regulating the "power-creep" through the game coding is backwards IMO.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erorah wrote: »
    THIS:

So, how is EVERY NORMAL GAMER supposed to keep up with this sort of playstyle?

Just the fact that we need 2 hands to move properly [1 handed movement = strafe, as there is no proper camera view / turning in the game]. Movement alone should not require 2 separate peripherals [mouse AND keyboard, or even 2 joysticks].
    Then add to that movement the fighting skills, AND light attack weaving, AND bar swapping.

I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way. This might also be what is hindering most gamers from advancing in content. SO MUCH TO DO! And don't forget, you are standing in that AOE!

Yes, immersive action, feeling as though you control your character and your fight. This does go beyond the 'Auto Attack' of older MMOs. But this is WAY BEYOND. And frankly, I just cannot do it much longer. The actual pain is getting too great.

'Broken Hands E'

You're saying "normal" gamers can't play games that require two joysticks? So every FPS out there, with all the millions of players playing them, aren't playable by "normal" gamers? What would be your ideal, point and click to move to a spot? Preload a series of spells or combos?
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait that's it? This is what we are getting instead of Q&A? That is the "deep dive"? Bunch of generalised stuff that was already known?
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Ok... Thanks for sharing that I guess, but I'm pretty sure most players knew most of this high level statement already. I'm still not sure how any of this explains the wild changes and incomplete reworks we see every 3 months. I mean, if there has been any progress whatsoever over the last 8 years for implementing this vision, then surely you would not need to change so much every patch? I think what some players want to know is the following:

Where are we at on the rest of the hybridization changes? Has the remainder of hybridization been abandoned? Does the combat team deem the current state of U36 adequate?

Does the combat team see armor sets as expansions to player abilities? If so, how does the play-how-you-want philosophy tie in with the fact that the majority of sets in the game are useless for endgame and pvp?

Great post! I think this highlights my concerns as well.

When ZOS releases new PvP sets that break a class skill or notices a bug in a skill and needs to fix something, I think the community as a whole can sort of understand these changes.
    When ZOS says one of their primary combat focuses is on "Optimizing ability rotations and timing", we as a community HAVE to understand that means changes to align skill timings to GC! That has a clear and understandable objective and players arguably have to submit to these changes even if they don't like them.

But, when ZOS changes animations... players ask "why"? When ZOS changes damage values and says "we see that these values are too high"... players ask "how did you determine that"? These are the changes that players feel are arbitrary and random. What prompts chances to damage and balancing? Did the dev team just wake up one day and decide that Templar is too strong now? Like it wasn't strong 6 months ago, but now it is? What changed?

Players are just confused and there doesn't seem to be a discernable link between what the devs say will improve the game and what they are changing. Some things are clear, a large portion leave us scratching our heads. Many lead to OTHER things becoming broken!

ESO is a great game. But if you dig past the surface, 100 minor bugs start becoming apparent.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played every content in this game to some extend and play the way you want fits into some of the aspects of it but some of the content is just not fitting into this. In my play time, Mastery part and play the way you want contradicts with each other as the difficulty of the content raises.

For example overland questing and anything related to delves and public dungeons can be soloed with any build you have in your character. Craglorn delves, Craglorn point of interests, and some of the latest public dungeon group bosses are an exception but you can still gather allies and use your desired build to do those content.

Lets say a raid team is trying to achieve the trifecta achievement in the Dreadsail Reef trial. This is certainly one of the hardest achievement in the game and requires that Mastery things that is stated in the original post. But whichever group i look, chooses one Necromancer and one Dragonknight tank for it and majority of the damage dealers are either Dragonknight or Necro and in some cases Templar. One healer is always Warden and other healer is Nightblade.

This is like the group synergy in the mastery part. But why nobody is using Warden and Sorcerer as damage dealers or tank is the problem. This achievement is so demanding that a group has to fully optimize the synergy for smooth progress. I can still understand this because hardest achievements should require full mastery, but this just proofs that play the way you want just does not fit into mastery. So they contradict.

This now arises the question whether content be designed in a way that even the least optimal classes can do it with basic group synergy. I think this will just make the content so easy for the people that is already clearing it but it will make a lot of player more accessible to it. But the game difficulty will be so low that the satisfaction of clearing the content will be gone from some people, and some people will just quit because the game is so easy.

I believe someone from the combat team should define the boundaries of play the way you want or frustration will continue amongst players. Because if someone wants to play their heavy armor damage dealer for hard mode content or a build that is no where near meta, they will be frowned upon and possibly gate kept for harder content.
  • Erorah
    Erorah
    ✭✭✭
    Crash427 wrote: »
    You're saying "normal" gamers can't play games that require two joysticks? So every FPS out there, with all the millions of players playing them, aren't playable by "normal" gamers? What would be your ideal, point and click to move to a spot? Preload a series of spells or combos?
    [/quote]

Nooo!! I have seen those. They are atrocious [read:LostArk]. I would just like to go and SEE left when I move left, not strafe. But there is no option for this in the game.
    And you misunderstand. There is nothing wrong with using two joysticks.. But you should not need BOTH just to move :dizzy:
    And the same goes for having to do all the things and at all the same time. You may have been born with a controller in your hands. Many and including myself, were not ;)
    Editor: UESP.net > HOUSING! 📔 https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Furnishings
  • kivrin99
    kivrin99
    Soul Shriven
    As @Erorah alluded to, please don't take away the heavy attack Oakensoul builds as you're working on the goals and changes for combat. I know how to LA weave and have done a full 2-bar rotation in vet trials, I have meta gear, I don't mind grinding for gear and I don't mind learning...but I've never been able to get as high of dps as I can on my heavy attack build. I do have some arthritis, but I also think I'm just not fast enough to do all the things you need to do to pull the high dps. I don't need to be on the top of the charts, but I finally feel like I can contribute more to trials and dungeons, and I'm pretty good at the mechanics and not standing in stupid. It's allowed me to focus more on the mechanics and feel confident in doing portals in CR or the backyard in MOL, for instance. IMO that's just as important as having good dps, you need both.

I'll never expect to get 120k dps with a heavy attack build, and I don't need to. But it's opened a door that was closed for me at least, and I'd like to think and hope that that was the intention. I'd never suggest getting rid of LA weaving and complex rotations since many people enjoy that, but I really hope that there's room for both. I love doing trials, and I may never complete a vRG HM, but I'm okay with that. I'm good with the challenge of normal and vet trials and dungeons, which to me are fun. Balancing everything in combat can be very difficult for sure, but to me, the Oakensoul builds are a step in the right direction. So thank you, ZOS.
  • dkblight
    dkblight
    ✭✭
    Was hesitant to post, but "Flangdoodle" posted something similar. Mind you this was for Page 1 and I've been wondering about posting it for many hours now

Pretty and old words, what you aspired to create and what we have are two different things it feels.

Some strong points have been made thus far, such as DK needed more or less for HM content and Templar being the weakest of tank builds. As a tank player who doesn't follow meta or online builds, I've evolved my tank a lot over the years and yah gear, CP, skills do great for any class in normal, but I had to change my gear, skills, and setup to do vet, and then change it again to do HM, although I'm still not doing meta, I feel the content is nudging me in that direction ever update. Like wow look at this wide river, this will be a relaxing canoe...uh, is it me or is the river path getting more narrow....I can literally touch the sides of the land, this no longer feels relaxing...gee I hope it widens again.........is how it feels with diversity in options given, like mentioned there are skills that work great in normal, but they are not good for vet and not for hm let alone trials...the diversity path gets narrow toward End-Game content with no signs of spreading out again.

My take on the reasoning behind what we want and what we get is not so much the development team's fault, but the greedy people in charge and investors. Investors are notorious for killing companies for greed, look at Toys r Us, the company bellied up due to investors more so than sales vs online retailers like Amazon. Yes, it's not the same market one sells physical items the other is a digital game, but the core reasons for failure are the same, people demanding more money at the cost of the Consumer. It's like Books made into movies, almost always the book is better than the movie, because people changed content to suit various things in hopes to make more money appealing to select groups.

Basically the core values can never come to fruition as the REAL core of the game is to make money off the players, so things are created with good intentions, but then the investors have them tweak it in a way that forces players to pay money to have features that should be the core. Such as OP gear in a new DLC that they'll nerf after sales hits a certain number.

Page 3 update:
    Thinking more about it, the dev team and the forum team probably have their hands tied, think about when you call customer service for whatever, the person you call knows the answer to the issue, but they have to go through pages of pre-approved instructive script before they get to the solution. Chances are, that situation is no different here.

Maybe a list of features mentioned by everyone thus far and the option to list them in level of importance 1-10 or higher and then the dev team can focus each one starting at 1 each major update, till all is covered, but to also update us with as much detail as allowed on things they can't do, not that they can't, but they are told won't be able to do for various reasons behind the scenes. Communication is everything.
    Edited by dkblight on December 20, 2022 10:59PM
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the communication tbh, it's repackaged information we already knew BUT its better than nothing & people need stay on topic while being constructive to encourage this dialog from ZOS.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJTC5000 wrote: »
    Could you please define who "play the way you want" is meant for? Is it really meant for everyone, including the end-game raiding community?

Part of the reason raid teams are so critically optimised, with people forced to play certain roles and/or abilities is because of how overtuned the content is, especially recently.

Take Reef Guardian HM, a fight where a DK tank is king simply because of Magma Shell allowing you to ignore most of the damage. How would a Necro tank compare here, or a NB? I'm not even going to talk about how bottom-of-the-ladder Templar tank is, a class that is supposed to embody the paladin identity and one I would have thought should be second behind DK. Is this the "play the way you want" mantra in practice?

I get that each class should bring something to the table, to have some measure of class identity, a reason to go "Oh, I want to play that class because". But it seems recently you cannot balance that with "play the way you want" in the settings that test the player the most. If that's the way it's intended to be then so be it, but I'd prefer you to outright say that, instead of just repeating the same buzzwords.

As is mentioned above, we recognize that some combinations are going to be more effective than others, but our goal is to ensure every character can protect their group, mend allies, or devastate foes in some capacity. Completing Hard Mode content is going to require more skill and an optimized character, and that's where Mastery comes in.

Stamina Templars are virtually extinct in PVP zones, due to u35 and u36. Could you please explain the reasoning for nerfing the entire class kit into a ranged Magplar Jesus beam viable option as the only DPS option now?
    Templar healer role is still not near the top, but in Cyro groups the only valid templar is one spamming healing ult, or Jbeam spammer.

I spent 5 years building into mastering stamina templar and not a single variant is viable in PVP anymore, where Dswing meta stamplar is only mildly comparable to other classes who can outperform the same style of play.

Very disappointed in this post's context for play how you want, but handicapping the class into one playstyle, and one 1skill build only.
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, we’d like to address the combat Q&A we mentioned a few months ago.
    I haven't commented on the subject in any of the forum posts yet, but since you mentioned it yourself, would you care to address the combat Q&A? I read your entire post but it's basically an early draft of the base game.
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the course of ESO’s development, we've used these values as our guiding principles, along with feedback from the community and hard data metrics.

Since this is supposed to be a deep dive--let's face it, everything here sounds like political propaganda to twist the fact that this game lost any sense of direction in terms of combat, how about providing us with a LIST OF SIGNIFICANT COMBAT CHANGES THAT ACTUALLY BECAME POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF COMMUNITY FEEDBACK.

Since I started playing in 2017, the PTS felt like a manipulative tool to make players feel that they actually have a say in the changes of this game. However, it appears that
    (1) you already made up your mind on many changes and already prepared the iteration of the game as you see fit;
    (2) you release an effed up version of that iteration in the PTS that can cause players to react negatively on the already expected flaws which you placed there deliberately;
    (3) players post feedback on these flaws; and
    (4) you release the original iteration, which appears to have answered some of the feedback because it was already anticipated in the first place.

Please clarify this. Are player feedback actually part of your core values?

• Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybridization actually killed build diversity. The hybrid of each class is better than its counterparts. Hybridization would have been a good idea if it was made on a case-by-case basis. For example, let give a stam class that was in dire need of more healing access to magicka scaling skills etc. However, the way it was implanted means that everyone pretty much just chooses the best of the two available morphs. Instead of having 12 classes feels more like 6/7, which sucks. Zos has gone the route of here is a broken set to fix class balance. Stamsorc can't heal? oh, just use maras. It makes things boring.

The entire post to me just reads like, " we are going to continue doing exactly what we have done even though we know people aren't happy with the direction of the game". Good thing I only play maybe 3 times a month now.

• ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlakMarket wrote: »
    I appreciate the communication tbh, it's repackaged information we already knew BUT its better than nothing & people need stay on topic while being constructive to encourage this dialog from ZOS.

Sadly, this isn't better than nothing; it is equivalent. I don't want to encourage this kind of communication. This is handing out pamphlets that answer nothing. It might as well be a commercial...it's what a company does when they don't want a conversation and it's the default for ZOS.